• Last Reply

Easy guys, let's not all post at once :D

OK, 4-4-2, here goes:

------------Sutton------------

Wynne----Boyens-Reda----Brennan

--------Nagamura-Robinson-----

Canizalez-----------------Welsh

--------Buddle---Esky----------

I think the Diche hasn't been around long enough to get the start. Mo will probably give his buddy Welsh another look (and then another and another) until he finally admits he's Canero Part deux. Canizalez back out right with less defensive responsibilities, or else Edu could be here. Then again, maybe Edu goes in the middle and Robinson goes right mid. Boyens gets another chance in his natural position. Jimmy B. has been our most reliable defender, now he can also go forward from his natural position.

Easy guys, let's not all post at once :D

OK, 4-4-2, here goes:

------------Sutton------------

Wynne----Boyens-Reda----Brennan

--------Nagamura-Robinson-----

Canizalez-----------------Welsh

I think the Diche hasn't been around long enough to get the start. Mo will probably give his buddy Welsh another look (and then another and another) until he finally admits he's Canero Part deux. Canizalez back out right with less defensive responsibilities, or else Edu could be here. Then again, maybe Edu goes in the middle and Robinson goes right mid. Boyens gets another chance in his natural position. Jimmy B. has been our most reliable defender, now he can also go forward from his natural position.

On soccercentral they reported that Edu would be at right mid, the two new backs would play on the wings and Brennan would be paired with Reda in the middle. I really thought Brennan in the middle was very strange and I hope this was just a projected line up and or an oversight.

On soccercentral they reported that Edu would be at right mid, the two new backs would play on the wings and Brennan would be paired with Reda in the middle. I really thought Brennan in the middle was very strange and I hope this was just a projected line up and or an oversight.

Gerry Dobson reported on SoccerCentral last Saturday that the lineup would be (changes in bold):

GK - Sutton

LB - Goldthwaite

RB - Wynne

CB - Reda

CB - Brennan

LM - Welsh

RM - Edu

CM - Robinson

CM - Nagamura

ST - Eskandarian

ST - Dichio

I don't care for the idea of using Brennan as a centre back. It's not his natural position and it's not a position that will give him a chance to contribute offensively, which we all know he's capable of doing. Still, in light of Boyens' stuggles, it may be something we have to live with until Pozniak and/or Braz are healthy. But as soon as Poz and/or Braz are ready to go 90 minutes, I'd like to see Brennan back on the left flank where he belongs.

With the change to a 4-4-2, I'm looking forward to seeing what Marvel Wynne can do at right fullback.

I also think it makes sense to give Edu a chance to see if he can perform better than MC2 at right mid, and to give Dichio the start up front. Maintaining possession was real problem against New England, so a target man who can hold up the ball will be a welcome addition (although I question why Mo didn't sub in Connor Casey earlier in the New England match).

Gerry Dobson reported on SoccerCentral last Saturday that the lineup would be (changes in bold):

GK - Sutton

LB - Goldthwaite

RB - Wynne

CB - Reda

CB - Brennan

LM - Welsh

RM - Edu

CM - Robinson

CM - Nagamura

ST - Eskandarian

ST - Dichio

I don't care for the idea of using Brennan as a centre back. It's not his natural position and it's not a position that will give him a chance to contribute offensively, which we all know he's capable of doing. Still, in light of Boyens' stuggles, it may be something we have to live with until Pozniak and/or Braz are healthy. But as soon as Poz and/or Braz are ready to go 90 minutes, I'd like to see Brennan back on the left flank where he belongs.

With the change to a 4-4-2, I'm looking forward to seeing what Marvel Wynne can do at right fullback.

I also think it makes sense to give Edu a chance to see if he can perform better than MC2 at right mid, and to give Dichio the start up front. Maintaining possession was real problem against New England, so a target man who can hold up the ball will be a welcome addition (although I question why Mo didn't sub in Connor Casey earlier in the New England match).

quote:Originally posted by MikeD

Agreed, particularly since the left flank incumbent, Welsh, has been disappointing, to say the least. I don't mind going with non-Canadians when there are no Canadian options that are equal or better, but from what I've seen so far with Welsh that is certainly not the case.

We'll see though - I think that line-up is just a suggestion by Soccer Central - IIRC it was last reported that they weren't sure if Dichio was going to play due to not getting his work VISA in time.

quote:Originally posted by MikeD

Agreed, particularly since the left flank incumbent, Welsh, has been disappointing, to say the least. I don't mind going with non-Canadians when there are no Canadian options that are equal or better, but from what I've seen so far with Welsh that is certainly not the case.

We'll see though - I think that line-up is just a suggestion by Soccer Central - IIRC it was last reported that they weren't sure if Dichio was going to play due to not getting his work VISA in time.

Further to the last couple of posts, this article says that Poz will be available:

Link

He may not be able to go a full 90 minutes if he's coming off injury (or so I assume). However, if we aren't going to go with Boyens & Braz isn't match fit, I'd rather see a healthy Poz play at CB than Brennan. Neither are particularly suited to that position but Brennan is far more suited to the left flank while Poz is well-known for being fairly versatile at the back.

Further to the last couple of posts, this article says that Poz will be available:

Link

He may not be able to go a full 90 minutes if he's coming off injury (or so I assume). However, if we aren't going to go with Boyens & Braz isn't match fit, I'd rather see a healthy Poz play at CB than Brennan. Neither are particularly suited to that position but Brennan is far more suited to the left flank while Poz is well-known for being fairly versatile at the back.

If they do intend to use Brennan in the middle of a 4-4-2 then there's no way IMHO that it can be a flat back four. If he's there it will be in a stopper role in front of Reda as a sweeper. So in essence in almost becomes a fifth midfielder in that type of setup. Regardless, it isn't a role that suits Brennan. Wide left whipping crosses into the box is what he does best. I'm not sure why they insist on trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

If Goldthwaite is playing left back, Brennan should be left mid, as simple as that.

quote:Originally posted by hottoddy7

Ah, alright...i missed SoccerCentral this weekend, i was busy watching McKenna in the Schalke-Cottbus match on GolTV...

Seems a little strange to put Brennan in the middle mind you, but maybe Mo wants to take a look at the 2 new defenders and that's their prefered positions?

It looks like Gian-Luca was right about the lineup posted on SoccerCentral only being a guess. The article below confirms that Dichio won't play because his visa hasn't cleared. Hopefully this means that the Brennan in the middle projection is only a guess as well.

I agree that Poz (if healthy enough to go 90) would be better suited to playing centre back than Brennan. I actually think Poz could quickly develop into a solid centre for Toronto FC if given the chance to play the position regularly and form some chemisty with Reda. Poz played centre back for the national Francophone Games team in 2001 and was excellent, so I'm sure he has it in him if given the chance.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/206324

Toronto FC losing name game

TheStar.com - Sports - Toronto FC losing name game

Johnston says his players are in the dark about other teams and blames poor TV exposure

April 24, 2007

MORGAN CAMPBELL

SPORTS REPORTER

Heading into tomorrow's game in Kansas City, Toronto FC coach Mo Johnston can name several players on the Wizards' roster who concern him.

Two games into the season, high-scoring forward Eddie Johnston already has a goal and two assists. Jose Burciaga Jr. scored seven goals last year, more than any other Major League Soccer defender. And fellow defender Jimmy Conrad twice has captained the U.S. national team.

But many of Toronto FC's players aren't so familiar with Kansas City's roster.

In fact, Johnston says some of them are clueless about other teams around the league, and the coach blames television.

Between CBC, The Score and Sportsnet, all of Toronto FC's games will reach Canadian airwaves, and their Oct. 4 home game against New York will air live across the U.S. on ESPN2.

But MLS has no broadcast deal here, and no Canadian broadcasters have plans to show games that don't involve Toronto FC.

Johnston thinks that situation hurts young players trying to familiarize themselves with the league.

"There are guys who have played in this league a very long time, and we've got guys who don't even know half their names. I'm going to speak to Mr. (Ted) Rogers, whoever he is," Johnston joked after practice yesterday.

But he was serious in saying he wanted more MLS on local TV.

"I'm a great believer that you have to be able to know your opposition inside and out," he said. "We have guys who don't even know who Eddie Johnston is, but it's not their fault. It's vital that we have every game available, not only for one week, but for the upcoming weeks."

Not likely, since none of the broadcasters contacted yesterday planned to expand their MLS coverage.

TSN's soccer coverage centres on the UEFA Champions league and the 2008 Euro Cup, while The Score has acquired the rights to broadcast England's Premier League beginning this August.

Rogers Sportsnet currently airs the Premier League, and is slated to show seven more Toronto FC games this season but doesn't plan to pick up extra MLS broadcasts this year.

GolTV, a digital network, airs games from several overseas leagues, including Spain, Germany and Italy, but offers no MLS coverage outside of updates on its daily news broadcast and its weekly magazine show, American Soccer.

But representatives from several networks said their MLS plans could change if Toronto FC draws strong ratings.

The team's debut two weeks ago, a 2-0 loss to Chivas USA, attracted 115,000 viewers, but their second game, a 4-0 loss to New England, netted only 15,000.

"We want to see how things are going with Toronto (FC) first," said Anthony Cicione, The Score's vice-president of programming.

"If we find we're getting satisfactory ratings, we can look at the bigger picture."

If Johnston doesn't want to wait, he can always advise his younger players to turn on their computers, since all MLS games are broadcast on the league's website.

NOTES: Rookie midfielder Maurice Edu is set to make his Toronto FC debut tomorrow night. Edu, the first overall pick in this year's MLS draft, missed the pre-season and the first two regular-season games with a stress fracture in his pelvic bone. ... Midfielder Ronnie O'Brien, out with a strained knee ligament, won't play tomorrow night, but Johnston said he may play a little during Saturday's home opener. ... Newly acquired striker Danny Dichio will miss tomorrow's game while he waits for a visa that will allow him to play in both the U.S. and Canada.

Bad start is due to lack of MLS on Canadian TV?

Wow! What a pathetic excuse by Mo.

Is there anything stopping Mo from giving his players a tape of a match involving Kansas City before they head home after practice one day during this lengthy stretch between matches?

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Bad start is due to lack of MLS on Canadian TV?

Wow! What a pathetic excuse by Mo.

Is there anything stopping Mo from giving his players a tape of a match involving Kansas City before they head home after practice one day during this lengthy stretch between matches?

No kidding, shouldn't they have been doing some tape study on their opponents at atleast one of the training sessions?

------------Sutton-------------

-Wynne--Reda--Pozniak---Gold.-

---------Edu----Robinson-------

Nagamura---------------Brennan

Not saying Mo will put Nagamura at RM, but I'd like to fit him in there over Canizalez until O'Brien gets back. Nagamura seemed fairly speedy, fit and skilled, but a little confused at CM (maybe he was not alone). This might suggest an improved performance at RM if he can cross the ball. Brennan at LM. Goldthwaite is bigger but the Poz is rather experienced and has been with the team and Reda longer, so I'd rather see the latter at CB & the former in his natural position.

I think that Mo embarassed himself in that article. He's blaming TV for their poor start?

Newsflash: It is the players fault if he doesn't know who Eddie Johnston is!

What did teams do 25 years ago when their wasn't much football on TV in Europe? I think that him and his staff simply need to do a better job of scouting and prepare their team better.

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

If they do intend to use Brennan in the middle of a 4-4-2 then there's no way IMHO that it can be a flat back four. If he's there it will be in a stopper role in front of Reda as a sweeper. So in essence in almost becomes a fifth midfielder in that type of setup. Regardless, it isn't a role that suits Brennan. Wide left whipping crosses into the box is what he does best. I'm not sure why they insist on trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

If Goldthwaite is playing left back, Brennan should be left mid, as simple as that.

I'm glad somebody has brought up the sweeper / stopper scenario. I'd been thinking the same thing though I'd still prefer Jim on the left side of the midfield.

db

quote:Originally posted by RJB

I think that Mo embarassed himself in that article. He's blaming TV for their poor start?

Newsflash: It is the players fault if he doesn't know who Eddie Johnston is!

What did teams do 25 years ago when their wasn't much football on TV in Europe? I think that him and his staff simply need to do a better job of scouting and prepare their team better.

You said it. embarassed himself. TFC should be proud that in their 1st year that all their games will be nationally broadcast. What MLS provides no webcasts of game? Well if they don't smack 'em, even Major Junior Canadian hockey has (guessing) 90% of their games webcast. Q anyways.

The league has no recordings of games to be distributed? Heck, even my local tier 2 Junior A and AUS hockey leagues record each game in case of disipline problems and distribute copies to all teams.

Does TFC not scout other teams, are there no assistants on this team that know the other teams.

Weak. weak, gotta come up with something better Mo. Get the players motivated and change personel if you have too. But blaming TV......NAH, ain't gonna work bud.

EDIT:

Yes MLSLIVE has webcast Mo

Archived