KC Wizards - TFC April 25th [R]

jpg75

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First thing's first - BMO Field is a beautiful stadium & is going to be an unbelievable place to watch soccer. From my seats not only did I have a perfect view of the field, but of the Toronto City Skyline, Ontario Place, the lake and the Islands - you can't beat that from a visual experience in the city.

Second thing's second - with the team down 3-0 there were still people very enthusiastically chanting at a tv screen & playing drums cheering for TFC. And that wasn't even the typical supporter's groups. Anyone who thinks that this enthusiasm is going away after an initial losing season for an expansion team will be mistaken. People in Toronto are very passionate about their soccer & have been waiting a long time for this, and we still haven't played a home game. The honeymoon won't be over for a long time.

As for the game, I think we got to see for the first time TFC actually generate chances of their own from passing the ball around & moving up the field as an attacking force. They are getting more & more familiar with each other and the signs are showing. I think they are unlucky not to have scored, I certainly sensed that a goal was coming. Eskandarian & Canizalez were combining well once MC2 came on the field and I think that is a partnership I'd like to see cultivated, especially since Welsh appears to be the other option.

Downside - Marco Reda really struggled last night on the one-on-one's & we need him to be much better than that. I'm hoping that was just an off-night.

Edu seemed largely invisible, but perhaps he wasn't ready to play yet - wasn't surprised that he was subbed off. He didn't look to be a great improvement, but on the other hand maybe right mid is not his regular position (and likely won't be once O'Brien gets back). Might be better trying him in the middle instead of Nagamura, as I think Nagamura's position is one that can be upgraded.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

If you are looking for value-priced quality internationals, you do not look in England. Just look at MLS rosters and you will see that few teams are doing that.

Well Think that you are correct. I cant help but think back to past discussions on this board that centred around the quality of the MLS, skills of the players and competition and comparative strenght of MLS versus various championships.

What we are seeing is that players from the championship in england are not a slam dunk for the MLS. Hopefully, this is a lesson that will not escape those canadians who have left for Europe to play in second teir championships thinking that this is better for their development.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

First thing's first - BMO Field is a beautiful stadium & is going to be

I hope that you didn't buy that jersey afterall. I am glad that i didnt because I would have ended up paying 15% more that what I needed to. I found out later that we are entitled to a 15% discount on all merchandise if we show our club card. The club card came with the season ticket package. I actually had it in my wallet.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I hope that you didn't buy that jersey afterall. I am glad that i didnt because I would have ended up paying 15% more that what I needed to. I found out later that we are entitled to a 15% discount on all merchandise if we show our club card. The club card came with the season ticket package. I actually had it in my wallet.

They weren't even accepting the rebate yesterday. I bought my red home jersey at full price, but I'm going to have bring the receipt with me on Saturday in order to get my 15% off.

Nor do I recall hearing anyone who purchased season tickets talking or alluding to a championship, a winning season, playoffs ect... The expectations are already modest. So its shouldn't impact next years season tickets sales. That said, they have got to play better.

Not sure about the season ticket holders, but in this forum most people were predicting at least a .500 season and expected TFC to push for a playoff spot.

I did buy the jersey, as I don't have a club card.

You know it is all very disappointing allright and there are no easy answers as well. I guess we just have to show that we are team players as well and we just have to keep on supporting this team,at least for this season. You simply don't just enter this league and win. Give it more credit.This is not baseball this is a highly technical strategic and fitness based team sport that requires many months of playing together and knowing each other as well,it is the ultimate team sport that also requires the ultimate.There are no flukes,just skill,skill,skill.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

That's a handful of people on this forum, not "most" & most of those are not season ticket holders, which is the original point. Sheesh!

9 out of 11 had lofty expectations (ie. around or above .500/competing for the playoffs) and that was after their first match.

Granted it's a small sample-size, but no reason to believe that people with negative expectations would avoid that thread.

Back to the main point though...

If the team falls well short of many season ticket holder's expectations, that doesn't mean much anyway. Mainly because they probably would've forgotten about their pre-season expectations by season's end.

No none is saying MLSE promised anything (They didn't). Perhaps what I was trying to express was that a sizable portion of the 14,000 season ticket holders will not be around for too long if the product is as dire as it seems to be. As someone who has followed the Blizzard in all their guises and the Lynx too, I think I have a feel for the kind and size of support we will eventually have. I would have been delighted to have sold 6,000 tickets, never mind 14,000!!! I cant help but feel that big mistakes have already been made. 1) The hiring of a coach with very little experience. 2) I suggested Steve Nicol would have been my choice as he knows the product and has coached from the USL up as opposed to MOE who has loads of playing experience but not much managerial. I also question whether MLSE have leaned too heavily on people with marketing experience (which they have done a terrific job) while negleting the actual soccer side of things. Anyway nothing wrong with a little intense debate, lets hope for a couple of confidence boosting home results. Go FC etc!!!!!

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Granted it's a small sample-size, but no reason to believe that people with negative expectations would avoid that thread.

Several people, including myself, didn't post in that thread because we didn't have any specific expectations. I didn't know the league well enough to make any meaningful predictions so I steered clear of doing that, on this & other boards.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by bingham

This could be a very loooong first season.. still at least there will be plenty of tickets available once those season ticket holders realise what MLSE have sold them.

Actually listening to people's conversations last night in the stadium, there were very 'positive' in the sense that they disapointed by the play but able to keep it in a reasonable sense of context.

The consensus seemed to be this would be a long season but we are here and it's a start. This was coming from definate non soccer people, ie, those who thought the 18 was a the 20 yard line.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

Some photos I took while down at the game.

http://22066.vws.magma.ca/07tfc193.htm

That was good RR, and very thorough as always. I think the stadium looks quite serious, though I am not sure about the outside façade, a bit bric-a-brac to my liking, looks like a mini mall entrance.

Archived