Conor Casey To Sign For TFC

Ryan Keay

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Right now there are alot of canadians trying to get spots on TFC, and there mostly guys who are very young

Joey Melo is at the camp and mo had some good things to say about him before the camp started. Budalic is there, along with matthew paleshi from the lynx. Rick Titus is also in camp.

To add to this, the two other keepers in camp (aside from Greg Sutton) are David Monsalve (current Canadian U20 backup) and John Paul Piques (Canadian kid who spent the past three years in Portugal.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand the frustration about the lack of canadian players but we have to understand that some of those players (that we've named here) aren,t interested yet for different reasons, money, too young, being with a good club.

That's why I don't see Johnson or Friend coming to TFC anytime soon, the money and the club situation is excellent for both of those guys (maybe more for Johnson since he's younger but Friend isn,t in a bad situation at the moment being loaned out to a lesser club but getting valuable experience that could serve him well next year).

Guys like Gerba and Ademolu are more of a mystery to me, they are prospects but are they interested? Both are still young and but they aren't in the same club situation as Friend and Johnson.

If a guy like Lombardo isn't interested (some posters who seems to have inside knowledge have indicated that in the last days), it shows that it might be tougher than we think to get those guys out of Europe.

I've always thought that the best targets would be guys like Grande (age over 28) and that haven't been stellar in Europe.

I hope we'll see more canadians signing with TFC in the near future. I think Simpson could be a good candidate since he never really established himself in Europe but he's still 23 yrs old so it might take one or two years of playing sporadicallyin Europe before we see him in MLS.

Guest speedmonk42

I want to see Canadians on the team, but if I don't see any point in signing someone just because they are Canadian.

They need to put a good team on the field, the CanCon will come in time.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

So don't come up with this bs about freedom of speech or banning me when a guy representing Toronto Ultras goes ape ****e just because someone suggests the coach is not doing justice to our players. And does so because Mo has him in his pocket, intelligent guy who understands how easily supposed hard-cores and fifth estate lackeys can be had, as he has seen done a million times back home. This board is not about apeing word for word the lame justifications of a non-Canadian coach with no real interest in the Canadian game. A bit of circumspection, and bit less jumping around with shouts of "Mo" with pom poms and tutu dresses. Especially when the guy has done a little more than nothing so far and perhaps less than a lot of us would like.

Where does Sean go ape****? Although I don't agree with your opinion about the Canadian content on TFC this year you have every right to express it. However, Sean also has every right to express his opinion as well without being subject to personal attacks. He has not attacked you on the thread so there is no reason to attack him. Some of your writing in this thread sounds like that of a 12 year old schoolboy not an adult. We all know you dislike Sean and the U-sector guys but I doubt very many of us are interested in reading insulting comments about them from you or anyone else. By the way this is the TFC forum not the "Is Sean a good journalist forum?"

Jeffrey's anti-apologist rants should be as welcome as any anti-criticism posts IMHO. And as far as respecting a loose moratorium on TFC criticism (like the battles we have had amongst oursleves over the CSA current limbo)...I think Jeffrey is right to voice concerns at this critical stage of the game. The USL in recent years opened the doors to Americans and other foreigners on the Canadian USL (of which we have only TWO left, lest we forget) teams. TFC is going to have precious few Canadians to hold up as hard evidence of supporting Canadian talent this year. If our three big soccer teams aren't developing Canadians, then who is?

With all the Canadian money and support involved in TFC and the stadium we should be pressing the people in charge, to expect some accountability, to at the very least have some lip service thrown our way. It's true, maybe Peters and Johnson and Simpson have chosen not to be a part of this operation, and that they are amongst the very few realistic options we have to fill those starting Canadian spots. But the fact that we should be hearing about this issue amongst the big players and at least trying to get answers from them is unquestionable in my mind.

Random thoughts:

* It only makes sense for Lombardo to try to find another club in Italy. Given the current situation, however, I'm not sure many clubs will commit themselves to another contract, outside the transfer window, while looking at major stadium renovation expenses and doubts about how they will pay the wages they are already committed to with empty stadiums. Spending a year at TFC while Italy sorts itself out would not be too bad, and it would keep him in shape for the U-20 WYC. It's very simple: if Italy wants him, he stays there, and if they don't, he may have no choice but to come to Toronto for the summer.

* Peters was in trouble as far as staying in England (end of contract/not playing enough to renew work permit), but he has been starting lately for Ipswich, so he may do enough in the next few months to get his work permit renewed. The TFC rumours were probably only because of his problems. If he can stay in England, then I'm sure he will.

* A Canadian striker of some ability that TFC could get/afford? Occean, but I don't think Mo is interested

* TFC needs lots of CanCon, but it's usefulness to the MNT will be small for the first few years as the players will mostly be MNT bench quality and the academy will not be in full progress. Forget helping with the 2010WC qualifiers in 2008/9, the earliest help might be in qualifying for 2014 (2012/13), when there will be three MLS squads providing solid bench strength and some promising youngsters in the academies. You will have to wait until 2018 to see all of this in full effect though.

* A good start with CanCon would be making all three keepers Canadian. Sutton starts, with two kids learning and getting the odd game when Sutton is with MNT. This will ensure that we don't see two Canadians being wasted on the bench in favour of a foreign keeper. Whoever wins the TFC starting job among three Canadian keepers would have to be called up to the MNT to compete with Lars and the other Euro-based keepers for the MNT starting spot.

* The big Kiwi (Boyens) will be the big star that TFC develops and receives a big allocation for when he is sold to Europe. Apart from him, I would like to see an all-Canadian back four ("CANADIAN SHIELD"!) so that Canada can create a NA-based "B squad" with some chemistry.

* My father was born and raised in Glasgow, but I don't think Mo is my Daddy. I'll ask my Mom. [:P]

* Mo for MNT coach? Not now, and not for awhile. Although he was a great player, with alot of international experience who endured as much pressure/harassment/scrutiny as any player ever has, and he has some coaching experience and knowledge of Canadian players, he is far from ready. We already tried an MLS coach with alot of knowledge of Canada and Canadian players, and it didn't work out. Infact, Yallop was coach of the year in MLS and won championships with DeRo and Onstad - while Mo has not coached Canadians yet, and his brief career as an MLS coach with NY was mediocre (yes I know NY always sucks and it was Lalas' fault). Mo has never coached an international team, and he is still unproven at the MLS level. The CSA needs a new coach now, so Mo will have to skip this round. Finally, Mo just started at TFC, and if the CSA had been willing to have someone combine MNT/TFC duties, then Yallop would currently be doing that.

* I like to lurk on U-sector because there is alot of info there. I also used to occasionally post there back when "Guests" were allowed to (I can't register - I have commitment issues :D). I do agree that there is abit too much cheerleading/praising/fawning by that star-struck group, but it is not too bad. The fact is, I have read some quality critism there, and at the moment it is hard to see how there could be very much. Once games are being played, mistakes made, and losses suffered, then you will be able to judge U-Sector. Remember, this team is owned by MLSE, so incompetence, greed, disappointment, and all the bitching that goes with it, is inevitable. SO TRY TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND! [:o)]

* One final note, I read the Edu interview and I don't think Sean was ass-licking. It was really more like a couple of pecks on both sides. He wasn't "tossing the salad", just seasoning it! [:P] For the next interview, I would suggest something more interesting. U-Sector has a couple of Bhoys who can be sent to interview Mo! ;)

First of all, Nolando, no one here is an apologist. People have different opinions most of which are valid and do not necessarily have to agree. Noone has said TFC should not be criticized or that the issues that you raise in your post should not be discussed. Noone has called for any sort of moratorium on TFC criticism. However, there is a huge difference between submitting differing views on an issue and calling another poster a butt licker who is trying to ingratiate himself with his sugar daddy, Mo Johnson. The former is acceptable public debate which is what this forum is for. The later is juvenile insulting behaviour that is not necessary or desirable on this forum.

My own view is that TFC needs to balance being a winning team that is successful both on the field and financially (do not underestimate how important this is for Canadian soccer) and giving players who may not have another good option a good place to develop. The real benefit of TFC will be in developing younger players and giving players a chance to play at a higher league than they presently are. TFC has signed several players who for varying reasons seemed to be playing at a level below their capabilities like Braz, Sutton and Pozniak so this is a benefit to Canadian soccer. The Peters situation is also interesting in that if he manages to win a starting position at Ipswich as it seems he is starting to do and manages to have his work permit renewed I think he is better off staying in England. However, if his work permit is not renewed this is where it will be advantageous having TFC as an option as opposed to possibly not playing for an extended period of time while searching for a new club. Most of the other guys being mentioned as players who should come to TFC are in situations where they are playing in equal or stronger leagues with better development/career possibilities and earning more money than TFC could offer. I don't know how bringing Friend or Johnson back from arguably the best country at developing talent to play for TFC is going to help Canadian soccer or improve the MNT striker situation. The guys who are already in good situations in Europe should stay there, its the guys who aren't in good situations AND who are good enough to play for TFC who should be brought back.

Guest Jeffery S.

Just want to say that I think Sean's Edu interview was good, very well done, colourful, and funny. I don't deny Sean can be funny, he's pithy but has a sense of humour.

So he's intelligent. Intelligent enough to not be Mo's boy, I don't think Mo asked for it nor needs it. Next time you sit down and have a drink with him, folks from U-Sex, remind him what the league mandate is, ask him how many Canadians he will start as things stand, and suggest to him that maybe not everyone is convinced about things so far..

Grizz...while you're soapboxing for pages and pages (ad nauseum...as usual)...could you at least see to it to realize that you yourself have been baiting and namecalling Jeffrey for a large part of this thread and not helping to end much of the pap on this board that you seem to so dislike...Couldn't you just stay out of one of these donnybrooks and just I dunno...not post for like an hour or something...I dare not mention the t-word again...Oh, and Grizz...there ARE plenty of people that would fall under the definition of "apologist" by any standard usage of the word...why, there are Yallop apologists, a new crop of Holger apologists, plenty of CSA apologists...and certainly a few TFC MLSE apologists...I am not saying they are crazy or anything...just that I disagree with the TFC version of them and that, of course, they DO exist...in fact I would go almost as far as saying that Canada is a country full of meek and gentle apologists...we breed apologists like other countries breed natural critics or government mistrust or anarchy.

quote:Originally posted by KAS

* TFC needs lots of CanCon, but it's usefulness to the MNT will be small for the first few years as the players will mostly be MNT bench quality and the academy will not be in full progress. Forget helping with the 2010WC qualifiers in 2008/9, the earliest help might be in qualifying for 2014 (2012/13), when there will be three MLS squads providing solid bench strength and some promising youngsters in the academies. You will have to wait until 2018 to see all of this in full effect though.

I think you hit the right tone. Your quote above summarizes a conclusion that I have reached as well. You often hear about national teams ( eg.: a recent quaote from Rio ferdinand) wanting to create the club atmosphere at the national team level. My thinking has always been that this something that we can now achieve and that would put canada ahead of most countries in this respect. Namely, create a core around Canadians who are playing for the same MLS club ( TFC) and use some key players in Europe to round out the squad and add the extra punch or "Icing on the cake". Rather plucking 18 different players from different overseas leagues or clubs, different levels of play, different philospohies, and having little knowledge of their strenghts and abilities. Furthermore having to flying them back and forth accross ten time zones and miraculously expect some chemistry to develop. The CSA had this in mind as far back as 25 years ago when the Manic were given the unofficial designation of "Team Canada". Its the right formulae and it will work just like it works for a side like Costa Rica for example . But unfortunately the NASL collapsed and so did the concept. We have drifted into the wilderness ever since.

But I have now come to the conclusion that you are right as far as 2010. It now looks like its going to be too early for the full benefits of TFC to acrue to the national programs in time for the next WCQ. WCQ starts only a year after TFC's first season. But if things go well, we should reap the reward in 2014. As far as 2010 WCQ, Right now ( as of Feb 2007) I don't see how anyone can be very seriously optimistic for 2010. Aside from Atiba, 2006 has been the worst year since I have been on this board in so far as interesting news regarding our overseas players. I have not seen anything to suggest that we wil be better off than 1997, 2001, or 2004.

Conor Casey could turn out to be a great signing for TFC. He averaged a goal every other game in the 2nd Bundesliga, but had extremely bad luck with injuries while a Bundesliga player. As far as Casey vs Gerba.....Casey is a pool player for the US national team while Gerba (if he were American) wouldn't even get a sniff. He's not a regular starter for Canada so IMHO Casey > Gerba.

I don't think TFC needs to be the Canadian All-Star club to be helpful for the MNT in general. The biggest place it will make a difference is that it provides an option to our younger players to get on the developmental team and have a logical path that can lead to a career. Before now, you either had to make the big jump to Europe (different culture, language, far from home) or else try to catch on with a USL side, which is not exactly ideal either.

The impact will be seen when guys like Gonsalves, Assante, Hemming, and so forth have the opportunity to create a career. Not all of them will make it, but it's a better option than has been available for the good player who can't make it onto a big Euro club right away.

How many good Canadian NCAA players vanished off the map after a promising college career?

Jason

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

What's the deal with the chip on your shoulder? Ever since I started posting here a few years ago you've always came across as a jerk. What gives?

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Rudi

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

Just the point Rudi. It's probably a decoy.

Haven't been out hunting lately I see.

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

Conor Casey could turn out to be a great signing for TFC. He averaged a goal every other game in the 2nd Bundesliga, but had extremely bad luck with injuries while a Bundesliga player. As far as Casey vs Gerba.....Casey is a pool player for the US national team while Gerba (if he were American) wouldn't even get a sniff. He's not a regular starter for Canada so IMHO Casey > Gerba.

While I agree that Casey could be terrific in the MLS if he gets the service he needs, IMHO, Gerba has as much potential as Casey who is pretty one-dimensional. Gerba/Ngon got royally shafted by Miami, after getting drafted by that MLS side back in 2001. Gerba was very good for us in the U20's but for reasons that the CSA and Paul James kept under their hats was then shafted again that same season when they kept out of the picture when we took the team to the finals in Argentian. Of course our offense under the clueless James was a f*ing disaster.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Ed, he was kept out of the U20's because concerns about his true age came to light after the qualifiers and prior to the finals in Argentina. Those concerns appear to have been unwarranted after the fact.

You're right.

I've played against Ali between 1996 and 1999 (or 2000) and his age has always been a concerned to a lot of coaches in Quebec. The same thing happenned with Serge Epoh.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

While I agree that Casey could be terrific in the MLS if he gets the service he needs, IMHO, Gerba has as much potential as Casey who is pretty one-dimensional. Gerba/Ngon got royally shafted by Miami, after getting drafted by that MLS side back in 2001. Gerba was very good for us in the U20's but for reasons that the CSA and Paul James kept under their hats was then shafted again that same season when they kept out of the picture when we took the team to the finals in Argentian. Of course our offense under the clueless James was a f*ing disaster.

You bring up an interesting argument which reminds of a debate me and my buddy from Mexico City were having yesterday. He was claiming that so and so Mexican player from the MFL was better than various yanks in the premiership. I asked him what are you basing this on? Performances in a lesser league?

"Ed, he was kept out of the U20's because concerns about his true age came to light after the qualifiers and prior to the finals in Argentina."

What the hell kind of beauracratic bolshevik are you? Take your finger out and tell us unwashed common fans what actually happened if you know! :(

"Those concerns appear to have been unwarranted after the fact."

Kind of like Jason DeVos and his broken leg before the first WCQ against Guatemala? "unwarranted after the fact.":(

quote:Originally posted by canso

"Ed, he was kept out of the U20's because concerns about his true age came to light after the qualifiers and prior to the finals in Argentina."

What the hell kind of beauracratic bolshevik are you? Take your finger out and tell us unwashed common fans what actually happened if you know! :(

"Those concerns appear to have been unwarranted after the fact."

Kind of like Jason DeVos and his broken leg before the first WCQ against Guatemala? "unwarranted after the fact.":(

First of all, who the fvck sh!t in your corn flakes this morning?

Secondly, this information was available back in 2001, i believe the commentators spoke about this during the Canada-Iraq telecast explaining to plebes like you why Ali Ngon wasn't with the team. So if you want to be pissed at anyone, be pissed at yourself that you didn't know this.

Thirdly, if there was a possibility he could have been overaged and the CSA did nothing to investigate they would have been in MAJOR crap and we might have been barred from WCQ.

Fourthly, i say it's unwarranted because nothing ever came of it. His DOB is still listed as 1982 during CSA press releases. Does anyone remember if he played in Olympic Q where his age may have still been a concern?

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

First of all, who the fvck sh!t in your corn flakes this morning?

Secondly, this information was available back in 2001, i believe the commentators spoke about this during the Canada-Iraq telecast explaining to plebes like you why Ali Ngon wasn't with the team. So if you want to be pissed at anyone, be pissed at yourself that you didn't know this.

Thirdly, if there was a possibility he could have been overaged and the CSA did nothing to investigate they would have been in MAJOR crap and we might have been barred from WCQ.

Fourthly, i say it's unwarranted because nothing ever came of it. His DOB is still listed as 1982 during CSA press releases. Does anyone remember if he played in Olympic Q where his age may have still been a concern?

Pathetic attempt at defending Paul James with facts......;)

Gerba wasn't called for any of the Olympic qualifiers in 2003/2004, not even for the Virgin Islands party in New Brunswick.....

Archived