Beckham is Coming.....

VPjr

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

90% of this discussion should be in the General section.

I disagree. This short and long term ramifications of this deal will have a direct impact on the future of MLS and TFC.

It fits appropriately into the Canadian Leagues and Clubs section.

db

quote:Originally posted by marktci

Toronto FC is capitalizing (from an e-mail they sent out):

Though the schedule has not been released, it has been confirmed that the Galaxy will play in Toronto later in the season, giving our fans the chance to watch Beckham live!

We sold over 200 season tickets in the first few hours of this announcement.

Spread the word - tickets can be purchased right here or by calling 416-360-GOAL.

GOAL line hours have been extended to accommodate the increase in season seat sales.

DC United sent out the IDENTICAL E-mail to their supporters. Also stating that 200 season tickets had been sold, and substituting Soehn for Johnston with the exact same quote. Including the part about seeing Beckham later in the season

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

90% of this discussion should be in the General section.

But I'll go along for the ride. Had to laugh tonight as El Larguero, Spain's most important sport program (radio at midnight daily on Cadena Ser) spent all of 5 minutes on the story, cut off the clip of his press statement, went immediately on to more important things. As far as they were concerned it was as important as Figo signing for wherever-club in wherever-land. Not.

Breakdown I heard was a 10 million euro salary, he retaining his rights on all endorsements, not shared with club, for a total of almost 20 million, a percentage of LA Galaxy earnings, then some other little things in there.

Agree it is totally obscene that he could be playing beside guys making 25,000 US a year.

As to the 1st part, I couldn't disagree more. MLS discussion now belongs in this section thanks to Toronto's entry. In exactly the same way Division 1 topics and discussions also fall into this section as long as there are entities in that league from Montreal or Vancouver.

As to the rest of your post, yeah I'm pretty much on the same page as you. MLS is actually kinda perfect for Beckham at this point in his career. The American cult of celebrity will overshadow a lot of "Becks'" failings which are coming with his aging. At least for a while. Year or two.

He's a big enough celebrity to live off his name for the present and the MLS quality is low enough that he'll still be able to play above the level of his league. More than can be said for most every European league anymore.

Wow. Do I sound cynical.

Oh, and by the by, a couple of excellent interviews on the BBC site with Gary Linerker and Brad Friedel discussing the Beckham move to MLS. Linerker has allways been a favorate of mine, and I think he's shown time and again that he can be an intelligent, thoughtfull and entertaining football media figure but this is the 1st time I've seen (or rather heard) Brad Friedel in this type of discussion and he comes off pretty well.

Getting just a wee hint of an accent to-boot, eh? Has he been overseas that long? Guess so.

Bent them like Beckham,well we will see how the Toronto media gurus will handle that bent. If I was a sportwriter i would take lessons in how to report on the game etc. They will look like idiots if they don't and their racoon bias will fall apart. This beckie baby is going to attract a lot more than they can handle.Things are heating up and I really whish i could be there at the racetracks or other media conferences listening to their bias observations. Anyway i am having a ball, the unstoppable is finaly happening and we will see more and more soccer stories on the front pages.

That is what we want,justice.

Hey I have been following the Lensky chat lines on the Feyenoord board,this guy is looked upon as a great player,they really like our Canadian kid.Feyenoord has two Canadians as midfielders and are only 18 and 19,some story that is.Anywat back to Beckie,bent those minds our way Beckie that's your mission in life over here.

Hallo,just watched the Bobby Mcgowan show or at least part of it. he said he was coming down to see the circus but said rhe league would not make it. The body language was so revealing,he does not want soccer at all. Even Steven Brunt who called in sounded somewhat embarressed by Bobby's comments and tried to spill out some very positive aspects,but Bobby would not bent,he hates soccer with a passion,that is very obvious.He has got to go or converted when he has to be part of the team.

I believe Fox Sports World Canada is showing the LA Galaxy press conference for this at 1pm est.

There's tons of media coverage for this in Toronto, which is amazing considering this is a signing for a soccer player in Los Angeles. TFC & MLS didn't appear to be having much of a problem in being considered "major league" by the average Torontonian prior to this (always a key for good attendance in TO), it will have even less problem now. But it might help if another club did a "Beckham signing" so that there isn't a skewed "NY Cosmos" style attendance in the games LA Galaxy doesn't play.

Okay, so the more I read on the Becks 'N Posh signing is that most of the 250 mill is in personal endorsments not salary. The MLS will cover the first 400,000$ and Galaxy under 10 mill per year.

Still a huge amount for this league, but not what we thought.

This will be good exposure.....but I'm still nervous about the MLS future if big name, big $ signings still come. I'm not a gambler [B)]

As an aside after buddy (can't recall his name at the moment) that owned KC Wizards (and the NFL Chiefs) passed away has there been assurances that his family will carry on in MLS? I believe he had the Wizards up for sale prior to his passing?

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Okay, so the more I read on the Becks 'N Posh signing is that most of the 250 mill is in personal endorsments not salary. The MLS will cover the first 400,000$ and Galaxy under 10 mill per year.

Still a huge amount for this league, but not what we thought.

This will be good exposure.....but I'm still nervous about the MLS future if big name, big $ signings still come. I'm not a gambler [B)]

As an aside after buddy (can't recall his name at the moment) that owned KC Wizards (and the NFL Chiefs) passed away has there been assurances that his family will carry on in MLS? I believe he had the Wizards up for sale prior to his passing?

One of his son's (Clark I think)played University soccer at SMU and is a huge soccer fan, he is involved in running the Dallas franchise, so I think the Hunt Billions will continue to support MLS.

Lets see if this Beckham experience turns out any different from Pele and the Cosmos. For now, I'll just shift my chaw to the other cheek and tighten the grip on my hickory stick.

If it can be done, maybe soccer will grab N. A.in my lifetime. Oh, sometimes it'a a pain to be older!

Frankie's says he's going to play Beckham in the center. Does he really think he can spin it like he's making the decisions? Who does he think he's fooling?

"Los Angeles Galaxy head coach Frank Yallop wants David Beckham to be his midfield general.

Beckham's ideal playing position, as a right-sided or central midfielder, has long been the subject of debate but former Ipswich and Canada coach Yallop believes the 31-year-old former England captain can be most effective in the middle of the park.

Yallop has not yet spoken with his new star, who has signed a five-year contract with the Major League Soccer team worth £128million, but has scheduled a conference call with Beckham for Sunday.

The head coach said: 'I'm not giving too much away but I would think he'll play centrally for us. We need him on the ball as much as possible and that's the best place to play him I would think.'

Yallop emphasised the importance to Galaxy of making a good start over the first three months of the MLS season before Beckham joins the club, if he decides to stay in Madrid despite Real coach Fabio Capello's assertion that he will not play for the Spanish giants again.

'We've got to get off to a good start, obviously,' he added. 'It's a big hole but it's going to be there waiting for him. I feel confident we can get off to a good start to the season and welcome him when he does come in.'

Yallop also said he was looking forward to seeing Beckham as a dressing-room mentor for the Galaxy's younger players.

'I think that's what he brings to any team. You look at what he's done with the clubs he has been at and for England, with his work-rate and his enthusiasm, that's going to rub off on our young guys and we're excited to have him.'

Reading manager Steve Coppell has praised Beckham's decision to cross the Atlantic and believes it is a natural move for such a superstar.

Fellow Premiership managers such as Martin O'Neill and Chris Coleman have been critical of the move due their belief that `Becks' could still play at the highest level in Europe.

But Coppell is adamant that the true value of the move could be to motivate the American public to take a greater interest in the beautiful game.

He told BBC Radio Five Live: 'I think it was the natural decision to make. If any one of the current crop of players was destined to go to America and try to make an impact there it was David Beckham.

'It had to be a new challenge and realistically it had to be America. But what is success? Is it the team winning or is it exciting and enthusing the next generation of players in America?

'It is very difficult to equate what will be looked upon as success. His life is not just about football. He has a foot in so many worlds now.'

Hey rotzak,sorry guys bit of some Dutch slang and Robert may not like it,however it's funny that question,global warming. It did cross my mind and sort of wondered if we could extend our season longer.The question is that if this is the case what will happen to hockey,maybe the media had this already figured out. Only kidding,Yes Robert an intreaging question that will be answered before the next ice age.I do know that the advantage that the West has may also disappear.

Have you been drunk all that time since Kevan was kicked out. Hey I did speak to Kevan a couple of weeks ago and in the lawsuit your name is mentioned. I hope you are filthy rich.

I was kidding about that suit but yes I did speak to him and i can assure you he is still totally devastaed and who knows how this thing is going to play out. I always have been one of Keven's biggest supporters and I know i seem to be the only one even among my high profile soccer associates.He accomplished so much.Having a slight heart attack Robert?

Hey, I wouldn't even be wearing the dental-floss bikini!

However, on the topic of that miserable unemployed prick, if he was such a great guy, he'd have no problem finding a position that's even better than whatever it was he was doing for Canadian soccer, right? The thing is, Canadian soccer is my love, my passion, and when anyone messes with it, I'm willing to go to any lengths to destroy to destroy that individual. I guess "the don't vuck with Canadian soccer in me" is still a reflection of my European heritage. Unfortunately for Kevan, C.O.O. or C.E.O. at the CSA is probably as good as his career will ever get. It's all downhill from here, baby. As far as what people think or say about me, like do you really think I give a poop?

I feel good about the current president of the CSA. He didn't talk about what he was going to do, he just went out and did it. Unlike that pisstank Andy before him. I'm sure Andy is a nice guy to have a beer with, and shoot the poop about Partick Thistle, but that's not the kinda of man that should be leading Canadian soccer, that is unless your Kevan Pipe and you know that Andy is no threat to your livelyhood, ripping off Canadian soccer. The only one who prospered in Canadian soccer during the last twenty years was the Pipe. Our new president will figure out what he doesn't know, because he has already shown us he is capable of getting rid of the main problem to plague Canadian soccer. As he said on the radio himself, it took Andy a whole year just to figure out where to hang his hat.

Personally I don't have as much time to chat and give my opinions as some on this board. My biggest peeve is gone. You were wrong Richard, I WON big time. If my ranting or spamming annoyed or attracted the attention of just one response, positively or negatively, it set a chain in motion. Viva La Revolucion.

quote:Originally posted by Robert

Hey, I wouldn't even be wearing the dental-floss bikini!

However, on the topic of that miserable unemployed prick...

More useless garbage from Robert....

Viva La Revolucion.

What the hell does this have to do with a thread on Beckham?

You're are so pathetic. Why don't you just kill yourself. It would be much more simpler that way.

Archived