Beckham is Coming.....

VPjr

it looks like the MLS knew what they were doing when they dubbed it the "Beckham rule".

I don't know how much of an impact he will have on the quality of MLS football but he is still young enough to have some impact.

I'll be curious to see him up close when the Galaxy play TFC

Well to be the constant "Devils Advocate":

250 MILLION or 50 MILL per year where the average players makes maybe 40 Grand/year. Looks like a desperate step? I hope I'm wrong ...but...

ahhhhh......I dunno.......

High cost stars did in the NASL......I'm nervous....

argh1, take your argument past the potential jealousy that teammates and competitors will feel.

How on earth can $50M be recouped? There is just no economics behind this. Maybe you'll get a couple million more in TV rights. Will league-wide attendances jump by 500,000 paid tickets? I doubt that. will MLS now be considered a serious league to compete with upper echelon Euro leagues? No freaking way. will all Beckham's image rights go to the league? I doubt that but even if they did, US sponsorship will not be huge and his Euro contracts will dry up as he his out of sight and out of mind.

I hope the $250M is just speculation.

Hey you're right argh1...it's a HUGE risk for a 31 year old player. But MLS needs that kind of a risk to reach the next level, and everyone in the league, not just LA will benefit.

The NASL went through a flood of overseas signings after Pele came over. The COSMOS were responsible for the league's collapse because no-one else could compete with them financially or competitively.

Remember too...the NASL's foreign to domestic player quotient was entirely opposite of MLS. In the old days, the majority were from overseas, with a few North Americans sprinkled in. I never see that happening here again.

I dunno about the exact numbers.

But when Beckham moved to Real Madrid, the story was that they made more profit, in the first year, from shirts with Beckham 23 on the back, than his original transfer fee.

$250M is a heck of a lot of shirts though.

Beckham will be treated like royalty, and given a lot of respect on the pitch. Fewer injuries, just run, put in great crosses, and take free kicks. A good free kick is, what, 6 seconds of TV clip? He will be on the TV news regularly and that will be great for "soccer" on this continent.

-Favourite Beckham off-field moments:

-The Beckhams, and George Best interviewed together by Parkinson.

-The out takes at the end of "Bend it Like Beckham" -Feeling hot, hot, hot...........

and by the way

- Why does everyone always say David Beckham is thick? You never hear people saying "Oh that Steven Hawking, he's so sh*t at football." Once again it's a case of one rule for footballers, and another for theoretical physicists.

More importantly who's paying this salary if all this turns out to be real?

Is this strictly a Galaxy show or is it a league initiative? Will MLS be ponying up some money for the David Beckham Circus?

Honestly it does generate a lot of media attention but in a year a lot of people will be doing a Freddy Who.

Asking what all the fuss was about. $50M? For that? See how long the media darling lasts after that.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

From Big Soccer,

MLS pays $400,000/yr

Galaxy (AEG) pay $9 million/yr

Beckham retains marketing rights valued at $44 million/yr.

OK, that makes a bit of sense (but why his mktg rights be reported as part of his package - is it somehow guarenteed?).

Any hoo, I'm not convinced his mktg rights are worth $44M. Who would have been the best marketed athelete in the states? Probably Jordan. I bet he wasn't getting $44M for his mktg rights. And B-ball is a sport that means something in the hearts of Americans. Soccer doesn't. I can't see people in the far east buying up Beckham Galaxy jerseys the same way they did Real Madrid shirts (Madrid is a just a bit higher profile).

The way I see it, if he is able to generate enough marketing revenue to earn that extra $40+ million per year, then the benefit to the league would be huge because the most prominent player in the league would have his name and/or likeness plastered everywhere in the world.

While I don't like such a huge pay disparity in the league, my hope is that, in time, the attention surrounding Beckham being in MLS will help the young guys making $30-$40K a year get a boost in pay to the $80K or $100K / year range (or more). It will be very good for the league if young players feel that they can actually make a good living playing in the MLS. From what I have seen in my research on MLS payrolls, some young guys are getting absolutely exploited and the bulk of them are getting less than a kicker in the CFL. While I know some people would give their left nut to play pro soccer, you still need to pay your bills.

Quote I just read on ESPN.com

"I have decided to join the Los Angeles Galaxy and play in the MLS from August this year."

So I guess he will be staying at Madrid until the end of the La Liga season and join the Galaxy at mid-season.

Toronto FC is capitalizing (from an e-mail they sent out):

Though the schedule has not been released, it has been confirmed that the Galaxy will play in Toronto later in the season, giving our fans the chance to watch Beckham live!

We sold over 200 season tickets in the first few hours of this announcement.

Spread the word - tickets can be purchased right here or by calling 416-360-GOAL.

GOAL line hours have been extended to accommodate the increase in season seat sales.

quote:Originally posted by marktci

Toronto FC is capitalizing (from an e-mail they sent out):

Though the schedule has not been released, it has been confirmed that the Galaxy will play in Toronto later in the season, giving our fans the chance to watch Beckham live!

We sold over 200 season tickets in the first few hours of this announcement.

Spread the word - tickets can be purchased right here or by calling 416-360-GOAL.

GOAL line hours have been extended to accommodate the increase in season seat sales.

Guest Jeffery S.

90% of this discussion should be in the General section.

But I'll go along for the ride. Had to laugh tonight as El Larguero, Spain's most important sport program (radio at midnight daily on Cadena Ser) spent all of 5 minutes on the story, cut off the clip of his press statement, went immediately on to more important things. As far as they were concerned it was as important as Figo signing for wherever-club in wherever-land. Not.

Breakdown I heard was a 10 million euro salary, he retaining his rights on all endorsements, not shared with club, for a total of almost 20 million, a percentage of LA Galaxy earnings, then some other little things in there.

Agree it is totally obscene that he could be playing beside guys making 25,000 US a year.

Archived