Klinsmann withdraws US candidacy, BS goes nuts

Daniel

Ya they've been stating all over the sports pages he was hired. So it was funny when the commentators who are friends with Klinsmann stated he had in fact NOT agreed to coach the US. looks like a smart move to leave germany as a bit of a hero for revitalizing them now doesn't it! stepping "down" to coach the US would look suspicious. ...

Juergen for Canada!!

Bradley will do a good job. He has 100% of my support. Truth be told I think he's a better coach than Arena. Most people on bigsoccer are frustrated with the ineptitude and stupidity the USSF is showing. The probablem with those morons is that most of them have youth soccer backgrounds. Why on earth are unqualified morons making decisions about the professional game?

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Did you meant "South American" continent?

No I didn't. I was thinking on the language problem, and since English is spoken in South Africa and they come up with some good teams, I thought why not. A South American coach will do nicely as well, but their English, if any, would stand against them in a selection process.

a couple of comments from the SI article made me think of the Canadian situation...

"The conditions attached to Bradley's hiring are hardly ideal. It's not clear yet how long his interim period will last, but it would be silly not to let Bradley coach the U.S. men through the 2007 Gold Cup and Copa América. (The guy deserves a legitimate chance.) If Bradley can get results, he may well earn the job permanently (as Steve Sampson did after guiding the U.S. to a fourth-place finish in the 1995 Copa América). But the first year of a four-year cycle leading to the 2010 World Cup should be more about developing young players and less about results on the field. Since Bradley will have to win from the start to keep his job, developing younger players will be a more difficult proposition. That's exactly why Bruce Arena wanted (and got) four-year guaranteed contracts.

• Bradley is not a sexy choice, but he has more wins than any coach in MLS history; and he knows how to build teams. He won an MLS title with the expansion Chicago Fire in 1998 and was the MLS Coach of the Year in '06, transforming Chivas from a last-place joke into an entertaining team that reached the playoffs. It may seem remarkable that the U.S. has hired a coach who was fired just a year ago by an MLS team (after three years with the then-MetroStars), but you can make the argument that Bradley's lack of titles in New Jersey was tied just as much to the team's shaky management decisions as it was to the coach's performance. In any case, no one can deny that Bradley has made a remarkable turnaround to get to this point."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/news?slug=cnnsi-bombshellofaday&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

No I didn't. I was thinking on the language problem, and since English is spoken in South Africa and they come up with some good teams, I thought why not. A South American coach will do nicely as well, but their English, if any, would stand against them in a selection process.

[:0] Wow you are sure going for the top, getting a coach from that soccer powerhouse South Africa. It is good to know that your prime criteria for a coach is their english speaking ability, I think I might just apply myself because I consider myself quite gifted in this language. That irritating German accent should be enough to disqualify Klinsmann immediately. Come to think of it Hiddink speaks like a damn Dutchman so even if we had the money we shouldn't consider him either. We need to get back to our tradition of hiring coaches that speak excellent English because that has brought us so much success recently, all those World Cups that Lenarduzzi and Yallop qualified us for.

In all seriousness, a good coach is a good coach regardless of where they are from and people suggesting we should hire a coach from (fill in country/region) have absolutely no clue about how a coach should be hired. At least if you are going to take such a faulty criteria for selecting a coach, propose a nation which is very successful in the sport and which has a large number of excellent coaches like, for example, Germany.

Archived