Canucks in Germany - November 2006

Guest Ed

Daniel Imhof is currently injured and will not dress for today's lone Bundesliga game. It's a battle of the cellar dwellers as last-place VfL Bochum (sans Monsieur Imhof) take on the not-so-stellar Hannover 96 in Bochum.

You'd have to be a better than 'half-full' type to see Energie Cottbus getting a result on Saturday as the high-scoring current league leaders Werder Bremen host the club led by Kapitan Kev (on Gol-TV for the lucky ones not on the prairies).

Due to the looming international break in mid-November, both the Bundesliga 1 and 2 have what they refer to as an 'English week', where they play this weekend, mid-week next week and the following weekend to get more matches in prior to the winter break. Energie Cottbus will have a better opportunity to pick up points as they host the surprisingly solid Eintracht Frankfurt next Wednesday. VfL Bochum will be home to Bayer Leverkusen that same day.

In the Bundesliga 2, Nik Ledgerwood is still out as 1860 Muenchen host RW Essen today. FC Kaiserslautern and Josh Simpson are away to the Zebras, MSV Duisburg, on Sunday. The Zebras sit in 3rd on 16 points, ahead of FCK, sitting 4th, only on goal difference.

1860 Muenchen are away to league leaders FC Karlsruhe (and undefeated to date) next Tuesday while FC Kaiserslautern host Wacker Burghausen (bottom of the tables with just 5 pts).

In the Regional League North, Borussia Moenchengladbach amateurs and Blerim Rrustemi host the amateurs of Hamburger SV on Saturday. Also on Saturday, FC St Pauli are away to Rot Weiss Ahlen in the same league, although Jonathan Bourgault is likely only going to see action with the FC St. Pauli II team.

In the Regional League South, 1860 Muenchen amateurs host Stuttgarter Kickers on Sunday with Kent O'Connor likely on the bench initially.

A comfortable 2-0 home win for 1860 Muenchen today over RW Essen, moving them up to 6th in the table. The FCK game on Sunday is a straight battle for 3rd place, the last promotion spot, now with Friday's results out of the way.

Good top flight results for the Canucks yesterday and today. VfL Bochum beat Hannover 2-0 with Daniel Imhof out injured.

Huge point today for Cottbus as Werder Bremen have to come back in the 2nd half for the 1-1 draw, Kapitan Kev going his usual 90 minutes against one of the best attacking teams in Europe.

The only Canadian to see action in the Regional Leagues today was Blerim Rrustemi as his Borussia Moenchengladbach amateurs draw 1-1 with Hamburger SV amateurs. No sign of Jonathan Bourgault in FC St. Pauli's 1-1 draw with RW Ahlen. Kent O'Connor stayed on the bench as 1860 Muenchen reserves drew 1-1 with the Stuttgarter Kickers in the Regional League South; they've gone 7 games now without a defeat.

As reported by Jeffrey S, no sign of Josh Simpson today as FC Kaiserslautern draw 1-1 with MSV Duisburg.

Maycoll Canizales scores the 4th and eventual game winning goal as FC Oberneuland hold on to win 4-3 over Eintracht Braunschweig amateurs today in the Oberliga Nord.

No sign of Jonathan Bourgault with FC St. Pauli II as they draw 1-1 with VfL Osnabrueck II also in the Oberliga Nord.

In the Oberliga Baden-Wuerttemburg, Victor Oppong picks up a yellow card in the first half and is subbed off for an attacking player with 11 minutes to go as SV Waldhof Mannheim battle to a 0-0 draw in the local derby with VfR Mannheim. Big 3-0 win for Bahlinger SC in the same league over last place SC Bonlanden.

1860 had their hands full with the Bundesliga 2 league leaders, Karlsruher SC, today. The visiting Munich side went down 4-1, all the goals coming in the 2nd half. Nik L is still out of the lineup.

Josh Simpson and his K-town company (and the Bundesliga 1 teams with Canucks) go tomorrow.

Missed it before the mid-week action started but happy to see Kevin McKenna made the Bundesliga Team of the Week in kicker for his strong performance last weekend. Despite all the talent Werder Bremen put on the field, Kevin got the highest ratings on the day. Things are looking promising for Energie Cottbus if they can get results like this one, away from home and against one of the stronger teams. The club has a modest goal of staying up this season.

Here's the rankings from the 1-1 draw. Best is 1, not many given. Worst is 6.

Werder Bremen

Wiese (3,5) - C. Fritz (3,5), Mertesacker (3), Naldo (3), Womé (3,5) - Baumann (4) - Frings (3), Vranjes (3,5) - Diego (4) - Klose (4,5), Hunt (4,5)

Trainer: Schaaf

Energie Cottbus

Piplica (2) - Szelesi (4,5), McKenna (2), Mitreski (3), Ziebig (4) - T. Rost (3,5), Kukielka (3,5) - Radu (3,5), Gunkel (4), Munteanu (4) - Kioyo (3)

Yeah, yeah I'm a chronic McKenna cheerleader but this man really has to be one of the storys of Canadian sport this year. He's got to be the 1st Canadian ever to captain a team in a top flight European league, and is doing it in style on what I'm sure must be considered one of the underdog teams.

Not bad for a fellow who just two years ago was going through the aches and pains of his own personal injuries along with Hearts' financial dramas.

Has anyone here seen Kev play pro? I haven't, but one must wonder if he has a split personality disorder or something when is comes to playing for his club vs country. It’s hard to believe that this is the same rather slow and mediocre defender that we have seen play for Canada, who some times even gets outstaged by the ULS defenders he plays with.

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

Any chance of Energie Cottbus making it to the UEFA Cup?

Well there's always a chance isn't there. EC are currently in 8th place with 15 pts. Their goal is survival in the Bundesliga 1 and it is a little early for them to strive for something better than that. I would expect Hamburger SV to be a little higher in the standings come May and Cottbus will be a huge surprise if they are in the top 6.

The last UEFA cup spot is the 5th position. It is a long way away from May when the 34 game schedule rounds up. TD is goal differential, PKT is points, S wins, U draws and N losses. Euro spots shown (CL - Champions League, CL Qual. - enter CL qualifying round rather than straight group seeding, UEFA - UEFA Cup, UI - Intertoto, Abstieg - Relegation):

TD PKT S U N

1 Werder 17 23 7 2 2 PL, CL

2 Stuttgart 7 21 6 3 2 PL, CL

3 FC Bayern 4 17 5 2 3 PL, CL Qual.

4 Schalke 04 0 17 5 2 3 PL, UEFA Cup

5 Hertha BSC 4 16 4 4 2 UEFA Cup

6 Wolfsburg -1 16 4 4 3 UI-Cup

7 Arminia 5 15 4 3 3

8 FC Energie 1 15 4 3 3

9 Dortmund 1 15 3 6 2

10 Nürnberg 2 13 2 7 2

11 Frankfurt 1 13 2 7 1

12 Aachen -4 13 4 1 6

13 Bayer 04 0 12 3 3 4

14 M'gladbach -4 12 4 0 6

15 HSV -4 9 1 6 4

16 Bochum -8 8 2 2 6 Abstieg

17 Mainz 05 -10 8 1 5 5 Abstieg

18 Hannover -11 7 Abstieg

Josh Simpson not on the field today as FC Kaiserslautern take on Wacker Burghausen in Bundesliga 2 action. Live ticker at bundesliga.de. Josh's picture is featured in the game preview, here in action against SC Freiburg a while ago:

fck_scf_2bl_345x468.jpg

Now that the full lineups are listed with subs on bench, looks like Josh is not on the roster today. I haven't seen anything on an injury. K'town ahead 1-0 early, only 20,000 at the game today (midweek 1730hrs start).

quote:Originally posted by denis

Has anyone here seen Kev play pro? I haven't, but one must wonder if he has a split personality disorder or something when is comes to playing for his club vs country. It’s hard to believe that this is the same rather slow and mediocre defender that we have seen play for Canada, who some times even gets outstaged by the ULS defenders he plays with.

I was impressed with his play against Werder last weekend. His positioning seemed good and he really runs the defence, very vocal. I don't remember seeing him get beat by any speedy strikers.

Of course, I don't personally understand where this slow defender characterization comes from outside of a couple bad games. I'm more than happy with him on the back line.

McKenna has the flu and isn't even on the bench as Energie Cottbus host Eintracht Frankfurt. It's 1-0 for the hot dogs (Frankfurters) as we speak. Commentator at the EC site says Mckenna is being missed as the centre backs look a bit weak today.

According to a Kaiserlautern fan at bigsoccer, Josh is fine but just is a victim of good play by a couple of midfielders back into the team. The team is on a roll, so it is understandable.

He says that Wolf is high on Josh. Like Julian and others before him, to get established in the Bundesgliga 1 or 2, the best approach is to train hard and be ready when he gets a chance.

The Bundesliga continues to surprise this season. I would say Magath's days might be numbered as Bayern lost at home in front of almost 70,000 fans today to cellar dwellers Hannover 96 (who moved off the bottom of the table and leaped over 3 teams to get out of the relegation zone with that win today).

According to a Kaiserlautern fan at bigsoccer, Josh is fine but just is a victim of good play by a couple of midfielders back into the team. The team is on a roll, so it is understandable.

He says that Wolf is high on Josh. Like Julian and others before him, to get established in the Bundesgliga 1 or 2, the best approach is to train hard and be ready when he gets a chance.

The Bundesliga continues to surprise this season. I would say Magath's days might be numbered as Bayern lost at home in front of almost 70,000 fans today to cellar dwellers Hannover 96 (who moved off the bottom of the table and leaped over 3 teams to get out of the relegation zone with that win today).

Josh also hasn't played that well recently according to the fan forums I have looked at. Basically, he had some really good substitute appearances early in the season and everyone was clamouring for him to start. However, he hasn't impressed as much as a starter and the posters then wanted him taken out of the lineup. Apparently like with Canada he can disappear for long sections of the game and like a lot of our players has trouble putting away 100% goal scoring opportunities.

quote:Originally posted by denis

Don't get GolTV in the 'Peg (curses!) but got a look see of him with Hearts a few back, probably a half dozen times but almost always at forward.

Honestly I don't think his problem is speed. Maybe with the current bunch, but not a couple of years ago. He's got the same go as de Vos in my opinion and no one ever complained about JDV being a door stop. His problem is maybe throttle. Takes too long to get up to speed if you follow me.

But whichever way, apparently it's not such a negative that he can't play top flight German/Scottish football under different managers is it?

And people forget his leaving Hearts had everything to do with dollars, cents, and the politics of the time and little to do with his qualities. An excellent move though it turns out.

Everyone complains about McKenna's speed. Personally, I think he has as much speed as Hutchinson. Many who criticise McKenna, believe Hutchinson is the saviour at the back. He's pretty slow as well. In fact, I think that is Hutchinson's main draw back...a lack of speed and quickness. If he had that, he would be in a top league by now.

McKenna is not that slow. He's not quick but as mentioned above, he probably has as much or more quickness than JDV and is currently playing at a higher level than JDV every played at.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

Everyone complains about McKenna's speed. Personally, I think he has as much speed as Hutchinson. Many who criticise McKenna, believe Hutchinson is the saviour at the back. He's pretty slow as well. In fact, I think that is Hutchinson's main draw back...a lack of speed and quickness. If he had that, he would be in a top league by now.

McKenna is not that slow. He's not quick but as mentioned above, he probably has as much or more quickness than JDV and is currently playing at a higher level than JDV every played at.

I don't know whether Hutchinson has a lot of pace or not, but in their Champions League match against Man U, it seemed all the commentators could talk about was how much speed he had. I never could quite figure that out because, though he's not slow, he's no Radzinski. Or even Jaime Peters.

The German kicker ratings on players have McKenna right up there, in the top 50 overall. Highest ranked player of the whole Cottbus roster, enjoying better game ratings than some well-known defenders such as Sagnol, the French international and Friedrich, German international. They must like what they are seeing.

Blazing speed is not usually an attribute that comes to mind when discussing centre backs.

Canada is pretty lucky to have someone like Kevin McKenna. Someone who can anchor the

backline like De Vos (and with the same speed) and yet can be offensive-minded. Can be

used as a target man (like Kusch or if Rob Friend isn't available), and on set plays can

be lethal. Which Canadian scored against Germany and Portugal? McKenna.

Big Kev is effective at back with speedier mates like Stalteri, Klukowski, and Hutchinson.

At his size (6'4) he's the guy you'd want, and the Bundesliga knows that.

Archived