Wow - Thunder Dan

nolando

Its amazing how some people on the board just ignore the facts of the situation.

Fernandes played a number of games as a youth for Canada and was seemingly committed to the program at that time. It seems from some comments that perhaps Portugal was interested in the guy at the time.

November 2002 - It seems that during the lead up to the WCQ for the U-20 side (the first possibility of Canada capping him), he had a fall out with Mitchell and Mitchel decided to play Karim instead. Fernandes road the pine including the last game against the U.S. that Canada needed a result to qualify. We indeed got that result and won the group. Up until November 2002, its safe to say that Fernandes was number one on that U-20 side although Karim and Simon Rayner did get some playing time as well as Wagenaar and Lindley when others were not avaialbe (although the latter 2 were underaged). And as Jeffrey S. has admitted years ago on this website, Ferandes admitted to him that he was (at least partly) at fault for the situation that developed with Mitchel and put it down to his over eagerness of his youth.

Between November 2002 and November 2003 - The Youth WC 2003 was postponed due to the war in Iraq. It seems that Mitchel had told Fernades that he would be included on the roster for the spring WC. Jeffrey claims to have the roster (although I don't believe he has ever produced it here). Assuming correct, Mitchel decided sometime before the rescheduled event in the autumn to exclude Ferandes (and Rayner for that matter) from the final squad and replace them with Wagenaar and Lindley (two underaged keepers). Jeffrey claims that Ferandes wanted to play for Canada at that time. I can only speculate that Mitchel decided to go with the young inexperienced keepers in relation to the immature attitude displayed by Fernandes the year before. Of course, Jeffrey will jump into defend him here but I think the consenus on the forum is that Fernandes displayed a questionable attitude in November. So was Mitchel justified in excluding him? I agree with those that say yes. Its a coaches decision and if he made the decision based on kid's attitude at the time, I support it whether he was playing for Celtic Vigo at the time or Man United. Does it support Ferandes going to another country? Perhaps, but if he freely admits that he was part of the problem, I question that.

November 2003 to November 2005 - Canada had failed to qualify for the Olympics shortly after the World Youth Cup so there was no opportunity for Fernandes to move up to the U-23 side to be capped in the summer 2004. Moreover, Ferandes was dropped by Celtic Vigo and then by Regensburg in the German third division. He certainly was not national team material during the early to mid 2004 being without a team and never actually having played a professional match. Some time in late 2004, he signed with PAOK. For essentially the first year (2004-2005), he was used as a back up. Late in that season I believe, the manager was replaced. He gave Ferandes a try in some late matches in replacing the incumbent keeper.

During February 2005 and March 2005, we played Northern Ireland and Portugal respectively. With Fernades on the bench at PAOK and having virtually no professional experience, it seems unlikely that he would warrant a call for the national side at that time. After a few starts during the end of the year for PAOK, he was not called for the Gold Cup in the summer of 2005. This also seems a prudent choice considering his lack of professional experience and the uncertainty of his position (he probably would have wanted to focus on winning his starting position at PAOK in any event ). I also doubt that during this period Portugal was extremely interested in him (but of course Jeffrey may say differently). After the summer of 2005, it seems he gained the starting position at PAOK where he seems to after an up and down start (by the accounts of the fans) to have excelled. We played a friendly early in September against Spain where Stamatopoulos started and played reasonably well. Our next friendly was mid-November 2005 against Luxembourg. Hirschfeld backed out at the last minute and was replaced by Begovic who was near by in Belgium. Stamatopoulos started that match probably based on his performance against Spain (of which on a side, I think was the reason Hirschfeld pulled out as was not starting), who had a number of years of pro experience under his belt albeit at generally lower levels. Its debatable whether Fernandes should have been called or not for this match. Stamatopoulos had played well in the past for Canada and Fernandes had only been a starting keeper for PAOK for max. 3 months. Personally, I probably would have liked to have seen him called for that match but he wasnt.

Our next match was in January 2006 against the US on a non-international date where no Europeans were called who were with their club sides. So to expect Fernandes to be called here is unreasonable (and in fact, could be viewed as a negative by him as others would have been given preferences to be allowed to stay). It then seems clear that he was contacted prior to the Austria match at the end of February but by then he was flirting with Portugal.

Therefore, in sum, it seems that Jeffrey and others blame the CSA and some of their coaches for 1. not capping Ferandes in the U-20 tournament (or its qualifying) where there seems to have been a conflict with the coach which was at least partly his fault (on his own admission); and 2. possibly excluding him from being called for one friendly where the one keeper called had started the previous match and played reasonably well and the other keeper was starting for Rosenburg and had a track record. Personally, I do not believe you can blame the CSA or Mitchel for that.

Jeffrey's claim is that he had been approached for years by Portugal so he is somehow justified in accepting their overtures. First of all, it seems that coaches should only pick sides on the basis of someone's potential and/or whether they can play for some other national side. I don't agree with that philosophy. Second, if Canada had an active U-23 side as European nations do, I think he would have been approached by Canada probably even as early as 2004. That was not the case (and its worth noting that Portugal to my knowledge has not approached him for their senior side). Third, Fernades was snubbed once at best and then went over to Portugal. Fourth, it was not a 6 year affair. He played for Canada up to November 2002. After November 2003, he was not really a candidate to play for us again until November 2005 when shortly he after he choose Portugal.

Therefore, at best, Canada is not responsible and Ferandes just sold himself to the highest bidder. At worse, Canada is not responsible and circumstances came to me (partly as Canada has no U-23 side unless qualifying for the Olympics and so few national team friendlies) that allowed Fernades to fly the coup (so that no one is at fault).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its amazing how some people on the board just ignore the facts of the situation.

Fernandes played a number of games as a youth for Canada and was seemingly committed to the program at that time. It seems from some comments that perhaps Portugal was interested in the guy at the time.

November 2002 - It seems that during the lead up to the WCQ for the U-20 side (the first possibility of Canada capping him), he had a fall out with Mitchell and Mitchel decided to play Karim instead. Fernandes road the pine including the last game against the U.S. that Canada needed a result to qualify. We indeed got that result and won the group. Up until November 2002, its safe to say that Fernandes was number one on that U-20 side although Karim and Simon Rayner did get some playing time as well as Wagenaar and Lindley when others were not avaialbe (although the latter 2 were underaged). And as Jeffrey S. has admitted years ago on this website, Ferandes admitted to him that he was (at least partly) at fault for the situation that developed with Mitchel and put it down to his over eagerness of his youth.

Between November 2002 and November 2003 - The Youth WC 2003 was postponed due to the war in Iraq. It seems that Mitchel had told Fernades that he would be included on the roster for the spring WC. Jeffrey claims to have the roster (although I don't believe he has ever produced it here). Assuming correct, Mitchel decided sometime before the rescheduled event in the autumn to exclude Ferandes (and Rayner for that matter) from the final squad and replace them with Wagenaar and Lindley (two underaged keepers). Jeffrey claims that Ferandes wanted to play for Canada at that time. I can only speculate that Mitchel decided to go with the young inexperienced keepers in relation to the immature attitude displayed by Fernandes the year before. Of course, Jeffrey will jump into defend him here but I think the consenus on the forum is that Fernandes displayed a questionable attitude in November. So was Mitchel justified in excluding him? I agree with those that say yes. Its a coaches decision and if he made the decision based on kid's attitude at the time, I support it whether he was playing for Celtic Vigo at the time or Man United. Does it support Ferandes going to another country? Perhaps, but if he freely admits that he was part of the problem, I question that.

November 2003 to November 2005 - Canada had failed to qualify for the Olympics shortly after the World Youth Cup so there was no opportunity for Fernandes to move up to the U-23 side to be capped in the summer 2004. Moreover, Ferandes was dropped by Celtic Vigo and then by Regensburg in the German third division. He certainly was not national team material during the early to mid 2004 being without a team and never actually having played a professional match. Some time in late 2004, he signed with PAOK. For essentially the first year (2004-2005), he was used as a back up. Late in that season I believe, the manager was replaced. He gave Ferandes a try in some late matches in replacing the incumbent keeper.

During February 2005 and March 2005, we played Northern Ireland and Portugal respectively. With Fernades on the bench at PAOK and having virtually no professional experience, it seems unlikely that he would warrant a call for the national side at that time. After a few starts during the end of the year for PAOK, he was not called for the Gold Cup in the summer of 2005. This also seems a prudent choice considering his lack of professional experience and the uncertainty of his position (he probably would have wanted to focus on winning his starting position at PAOK in any event ). I also doubt that during this period Portugal was extremely interested in him (but of course Jeffrey may say differently). After the summer of 2005, it seems he gained the starting position at PAOK where he seems to after an up and down start (by the accounts of the fans) to have excelled. We played a friendly early in September against Spain where Stamatopoulos started and played reasonably well. Our next friendly was mid-November 2005 against Luxembourg. Hirschfeld backed out at the last minute and was replaced by Begovic who was near by in Belgium. Stamatopoulos started that match probably based on his performance against Spain (of which on a side, I think was the reason Hirschfeld pulled out as was not starting), who had a number of years of pro experience under his belt albeit at generally lower levels. Its debatable whether Fernandes should have been called or not for this match. Stamatopoulos had played well in the past for Canada and Fernandes had only been a starting keeper for PAOK for max. 3 months. Personally, I probably would have liked to have seen him called for that match but he wasnt.

Our next match was in January 2006 against the US on a non-international date where no Europeans were called who were with their club sides. So to expect Fernandes to be called here is unreasonable (and in fact, could be viewed as a negative by him as others would have been given preferences to be allowed to stay). It then seems clear that he was contacted prior to the Austria match at the end of February but by then he was flirting with Portugal.

Therefore, in sum, it seems that Jeffrey and others blame the CSA and some of their coaches for 1. not capping Ferandes in the U-20 tournament (or its qualifying) where there seems to have been a conflict with the coach which was at least partly his fault (on his own admission); and 2. possibly excluding him from being called for one friendly where the one keeper called had started the previous match and played reasonably well and the other keeper was starting for Rosenburg and had a track record. Personally, I do not believe you can blame the CSA or Mitchel for that.

Jeffrey's claim is that he had been approached for years by Portugal so he is somehow justified in accepting their overtures. First of all, it seems that coaches should only pick sides on the basis of someone's potential and/or whether they can play for some other national side. I don't agree with that philosophy. Second, if Canada had an active U-23 side as European nations do, I think he would have been approached by Canada probably even as early as 2004. That was not the case (and its worth noting that Portugal to my knowledge has not approached him for their senior side). Third, Fernades was snubbed once at best and then went over to Portugal. Fourth, it was not a 6 year affair. He played for Canada up to November 2002. After November 2003, he was not really a candidate to play for us again until November 2005 when shortly he after he choose Portugal.

Therefore, at best, Canada is not responsible and Ferandes just sold himself to the highest bidder. At worse, Canada is not responsible and circumstances came to me (partly as Canada has no U-23 side unless qualifying for the Olympics and so few national team friendlies) that allowed Fernades to fly the coup (so that no one is at fault).

Cech takes first painful steps as the road to recovery stretches far ahead

By Matt Hughes

PETR CECH has vowed to return to action in better shape than ever before the end of the season, though judging by his harrowing account of his condition it will be a long and torturous journey. Speaking for the first time since suffering a fractured skull in a collision with Stephen Hunt, of Reading, a fortnight ago, the Chelsea goalkeeper has revealed the full extent of his suffering, including sleepless nights, severe headaches and loss of mobility.

Cech returned to his home in Surrey this week after ten days in the Radcliffe Infirmary in Oxford after brain surgery, but is still searching for a return to normality. In addition to head pain, the 24-year-old’s main symptom appears to be chronic fatigue, which prevents him from walking or even watching television for more than a few minutes.

“Sometimes it is difficult because you wake up and you have a horrible headache so you have to take your medication and it is very strong,” he said. “So it is not the best because after, you feel really tired really quickly. You want to walk and you want to watch the telly, but after five, ten, 15 minutes you are really tired and you have to stop.

“I just try to live with that and I hope that every day it is going to get better — and it is better because when I was able to go home, the mood was better. I have got so many visitors and so many cards that wish me a speedy recovery.”

Cech has received thousands of cards from fans and footballers all over the world, which he hopes to use as the inspiration for a quick return. With strenuous physical activity prohibited for the next three months, Cech’s recovery will be a slow process, beginning with short walks and gentle massages.

Chelsea have resolved to give him as much time as possible to recover, taking only young goalkeepers such as Daniel Fernandes, the Portugal Under-21 player, on trial, and delaying a decision on signing a replacement until January. If it becomes clear in the new year that Cech may not be fit to start next season, they will pursue a more experienced alternative.

“I will do my best to come back even stronger than before,” Cech said. “I hope that at the time I come back we will be first, sitting far in front of the others and still in all four competitions.

“It will be really difficult because I can’t move for a long time, at the most 15 to 20 minutes and then I am exhausted. But even with the metal in your head, you need some recovery. They will prepare some programme for me, massage, little walks, these kind of things so I start maintaining my body.”

Cech has no memory of his clash with Hunt, and has opted not to follow José Mourinho’s vilification of the Ireland midfield player despite being shown the video. He expressed sympathy for Carlo Cudicini, who was concussed after colliding with Ibrahima Sonko in the same match, but will return to Chelsea’s squad for the match away to Sheffield United today.

“I have tried to think about this and the last thing I remember is the shaking hands before the game started,” the Czech Republic international, said. “I remember the warm-up, I remember all the way from the hotel to the stadium because usually I always take the programme and I read a little bit.

“I remember going out of the dressing-room ready with the kit. The handshake is the last thing I remember because JT [John Terry, the Chelsea captain] lost the toss and I had to run to the other side and that is the last thing. I don’t even remember the kick-off.

“I have seen it once and was surprised in the way that I thought it happened on the other side of the head. I have seen it only once and I don’t want to speak about this for the moment because even for me it is difficult. The club is dealing with that and I will leave it with the club for the moment.”

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by loyola

When I'm saying that we should not cap player a player because he's eligible for another country, I'm using the DM response to a question on this very same topic of DF (that as a coach his role is to use the best players available and that he cannot making selection base on players eligibility). I'm on DM side for this one, he thought Karim was a better fit for this team and that we would qualify with him in goal, I have no problem with his selection. DM had 3 games to cap DF but all of them were important and he choosed to play his #1 which is quite understandable.

If I'm so pathetic Jeffrey S. , please tell me when DM could've capped DF?

In Charleston, in UAE. Especially in the first tournament, when he was on form and everyone on the team was surprised to find he was not starting. Not to slag Karim, who did fine there, and especially in UAE. But Dale could have and should have capped Daniel when he had the chance, I mean the kid was at a Champions League team, Celta Vigo, and you don't just ignore the opinion of a club of that level because of your own personal insecurities.

Guest Jeffery S.

I wrote a letter to Yallop late on in the process, in January of this year. I did not show it to Daniel nor have since.

I never heard back from Yallop, which was poor, but perhaps par for the course. He was so busy.

It is possible they reacted around this time to the question, I think another person on this board spoke to Frank about the same matter.

Just two comments: I deliberately left off any reference to previous problems and to missed opportunities, trying to be positive. Second, the reference to the Portugal call-up is to another one shortly before he did go, that his club did not let him respond to as it was not official.

I have taken out the part of my personal address and the mail and phone numbers of Daniel. This is what I wrote:

Mr. Frank Yallop

Head Coach, Senior Men

Canadian Soccer Association

Place Soccer Canada

237 Metcalfe Street

Ottawa, ON

January 14, 2006

Dear Sir

I am writing this letter to you as an acquaintance of Daniel Fernandes, a young keeper from Vancouver now with PAOK Salonika who has participated in Canadian youth soccer programs, most recently in 2003 with the Under-20 program. You will perhaps recall that we met in Santander when I interviewed you for a Canadian fan site after the Spain match.

Let me first say that Daniel has not asked me to contact you, nor do I represent him in any way. I have no legal or economic relationship with him. Rather, as a Vancouver native and older Canadian soccer fan (I am forty-six) living in Spain, I took special interest in him when he was signed by Celta Vigo as an 18-year-old coming out of the Porto youth program. Since that time we have spoken and written about life, soccer, and specifically about his career. I like to think I have been able to offer him a wider personal and professional perspective (I know about the pro game as a dedicated fan in an intense football city but also through numerous contacts with the soccer world), though I also know that the most essential choices he has made have been his own, whether I was in agreement or not.

Yet the specific reason for my deciding to write you now is related to his growth professionally and the question of a possible future in representation of Canada. In spite of speculation to the contrary, perhaps brought on by the fact he plays in Greece as a European (as a holder of a Portuguese passport), in all of our conversations he has always insisted on Canada as his personal and sentimental choice. Daniel will frequently close an e-mail communication with a phrase like “I want to be a Canadian keeper!”, in his typically spontaneous style. Yet perhaps his international status had been a moot point as long as he was not playing, or playing at a lower level and only sporadically. Now, in contrast, he has found himself regularly starting for PAOK in league and UEFA Cup games; indeed since mid-September he has played all official matches for the team, which is now fifth in the Greek league and battling, as they habitually do, for a UEFA spot. He has given up 12 goals in 13 league games and the team has six wins, five draws and two losses with him playing. In UEFA action he has played five games and given up seven goals, with a win, three losses and a draw.

Likely due to his performance and higher profile, recently Daniel has heard friendly suggestions that he opt for a Greek passport with the idea being able to play for that country (though no formal move has ever been made from Greek soccer authorities), while just this month the Portuguese national program invited him to an Under-23 training camp (apparently anticipating a future squad for Olympic qualifying, though a camp would not in any case have capped him) to be held at the end of this month. Daniel it seems has turned down this offer due to club commitments, as the dates were not FIFA approved for international calls. Yet regardless of the flattering nature of these attempts to draw him into strong national programs, in our conversations he has continued to insist on his preference for Canada’s colours.

Allow me to assure you that I am not in any way trying to suggest that your choices as national team coach should be determined by anything else than your proven professional criteria. I am not asking Canada to invite or much less play Daniel. I do believe, however, knowing the person in question, that he would indeed be grateful to have some contact with you personally or with officials at the CSA. Daniel apparently is not in a position to request a family member or an agent to play an intermediary role for him; nor does he feel he should be selling himself to the Canadian program personally, rightly concentrating instead on developing his game and his professional obligations to his teammates, coaches, and the club that is paying his salary.

Perhaps this is why I have taken it upon myself to make this unsolicited gesture in his favour (only today I have suggested to him that I would contact you at the CSA, but I have not shown him this letter), hoping that it will not be seen in any other way than it is: a modest attempt by a Canadian soccer fan to help open the doors for Daniel Fernandes to be involved once again with our men’s program.

Let me close by expressing my respect and appreciation for your role as our national team coach, a difficult task as all Canadian soccer fans know. If what I was able to enjoy in Santander against a world top-ten team is any indication, I am confident that Canada will find a way to compete with the best of our region in the quest for another Gold Cup victory or a qualification for a World Cup tournament.

Yours faithfully,

Jeff Swartz

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

In Charleston, in UAE. Especially in the first tournament, when he was on form and everyone on the team was surprised to find he was not starting. Not to slag Karim, who did fine there, and especially in UAE. But Dale could have and should have capped Daniel when he had the chance, I mean the kid was at a Champions League team, Celta Vigo, and you don't just ignore the opinion of a club of that level because of your own personal insecurities.

I totally disagree. First DM had to play his starting 11 in all of those games because they were all important. If you have any indication or proof that DF was a better goalkeeper than Karim at that time I will welcome anything you can provide to us. If you have any information about DM starting weaker player in qualification just to satisfied his personnal agenda of destroying youth canadian talent I will gladly read what you have to say.

I know that Celta is a pretty high profil club but it doesn,t prove that DF was better than Karim at that time. Like I've said in another thread we had the same situation in 2005 with Wagenaar being at Hartwick and Giacomi being at Champions League and Scottish giant Glasgow Rangers. So by your logic, Giacomi should've started but he didn't and today he's without a club and have sadly dissapear while Wagenaar is now a back up in the Dutch Eredivisie and got some starts before being injured.

History in the case of Fernandes showed us that he was a better prospect than Karim (to be fair to Karim, when he had a chance with the pros in was badly injured in Hungary) but that doesn't mean he was better than him in 2002/2003. In the case of Wagenaar and Giacomi, history is telling us that despite being in the NCAA Josh was a better prospect than Roberto Giacomi who was with a Champions League team. We have 2 examples and 2 different ending for the guy at the high profil club, there's no perfect science in this. I just want the coach to start his best players regardless of where they play.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by loyola

I totally disagree. First DM had to play his starting 11 in all of those games because they were all important. If you have any indication or proof that DF was a better goalkeeper than Karim at that time I will welcome anything you can provide to us. If you have any information about DM starting weaker player in qualification just to satisfied his personnal agenda of destroying youth canadian talent I will gladly read what you have to say.

I know that Celta is a pretty high profil club but it doesn,t prove that DF was better than Karim at that time. Like I've said in another thread we had the same situation in 2005 with Wagenaar being at Hartwick and Giacomi being at Champions League and Scottish giant Glasgow Rangers. So by your logic, Giacomi should've started but he didn't and today he's without a club and have sadly dissapear while Wagenaar is now a back up in the Dutch Eredivisie and got some starts before being injured.

History in the case of Fernandes showed us that he was a better prospect than Karim (to be fair to Karim, when he had a chance with the pros in was badly injured in Hungary) but that doesn't mean he was better than him in 2002/2003. In the case of Wagenaar and Giacomi, history is telling us that despite being in the NCAA Josh was a better prospect than Roberto Giacomi who was with a Champions League team. We have 2 examples and 2 different ending for the guy at the high profil club, there's no perfect science in this. I just want the coach to start his best players regardless of where they play.

Daniel has been our best youth keeper prospect for six years, hands down. No other of our keepers can shake a stick at him. Scouts from Oporto, Celta Viga, Paok and now Chelsea (who watched him win away at Larisa this past weekend 1-2) have seen something they are not seeing with our other keepers. And Portugal's national team program. In fact, since Craig Forrest, we have not had such a good prospect in goal, only Lars after the Gold Cup going to Spurs came close. I think right now the best keeper produced out of Canada since Craig are Lars and Daniel, it is hands down. And right now both seem to be out of the program, for different reasons, or maybe similar reasons.

I think it is objectively quite clear.

And there are still folks insisting on telling us anything imaginable -how many versions of kitschy national pride can you make up to cover incompetence?- just to keep on letting those running the program off the hook.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Daniel has been our best youth keeper prospect for six years, hands down. No other of our keepers can shake a stick at him. Scouts from Oporto, Celta Viga, Paok and now Chelsea (who watched him win away at Larisa this past weekend 1-2) have seen something they are not seeing with our other keepers. And Portugal's national team program. In fact, since Craig Forrest, we have not had such a good prospect in goal, only Lars after the Gold Cup going to Spurs came close. I think right now the best keeper produced out of Canada since Craig are Lars and Daniel, it is hands down. And right now both seem to be out of the program, for different reasons, or maybe similar reasons.

I think it is objectively quite clear.

And there are still folks insisting on telling us anything imaginable -how many versions of kitschy national pride can you make up to cover incompetence?- just to keep on letting those running the program off the hook.

Nice to see that you cannot make a difference between 2002/2003 and 2006. You clearly ignore the example I gave to show you that being with a CL team doesn't mean that you are better than an NCAA keeper. But so far your only argument is that DF was with Celta at that time which doesn't help your point like I said in my previous post.

quote:Originally posted by hottoddy7

Jeffrey did you say in one of your posts that he did indeed get a call from Canada? Or did I misinterpret the post.

Jeffrey S.

Barcelona

Spain

2815 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2006 : 05:23:04

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Just to clear up details. Thunder was only called in January of this year, from what I understand, when he was already close to going for Portugal. So he did not get a call from the CSA before our November game, which he could have easily."

"close to going for portugal." ya he may have felt shunned by canada, but by your admission he was desperate to play for canada. if that is the case he would have joined up in the november match - having been contacted in January. i am liking this guy less and less - dan might be a fantastic goalie, and he may go to chelsea where he'll become the next Lars, but I have my hopes pinned on Asmir. that guy is Forrest reincarnated.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

[br ... but by your admission he was desperate to play for canada. if that is the case he would have joined up in the november match - having been contacted in January.

So now you are blaming Fernandes for not going to the November 2005 call up after having received some contact from the CSA in January of 2006?

Okay, I understand that you like him less and less, but to dislike him for not being a swami/shaman/fortune teller/crystal ball reader is a bit much.

Care to revise the argument?

Not only Chelsea wants him, but so do Scolari and the National team. Today he has been called up for Portugal’s Euro qualifying game on Wednesday against Kazakhstan. He likely will sit on the bench behind Ricardo, but still a great achievement. Great job Dan and good luck.

quote:Originally posted by Manuel

You are wrong. He is Canadian. He's just not playing for Canada. So we should still talk about him.

The forum is entitled "Canadian National Teams & Players". Feel free to talk about him in the "World Soccer" forum.

P.S. Good luck, Dan.

Archived