Warner Says 2011 Women's World Cup in Canada

Grizzly

Words of Warner

Can we believe FIFA VP?

By TERRY JONES -- Edmonton Sun

warner_jack250.jpg

FIFA vice-president Jack Warner reviews the facilities at Commonwealth Stadium yesterday. Warner says Edmonton will play a major role in hosting the 2011 Women's World Cup, but do his words hold weight? (Edmonton Sun/David Bloom)

Jack Warner says he believes Canada will play host to the FIFA 2011 Women's World Cup.

The FIFA vice president who heads the CONCACAF region, also suggests Canada's games and the final should be held here.

Whoa. Hold the celebration.

The problem with Jack Warner saying anything is that the man has a considerable credibility problem here.

SWIPE AT EDMONTON

This is the same Jack Warner who visited Toronto last year and took a swipe at Edmonton's gripe that the Alberta capital deserved to host the opening and final of next year's FIFA U-20 championship, which was awarded to Toronto.

"I can say quite honestly that I think Edmonton has been lucky to even get a semifinal," Warner said of the 24-nation men's event scheduled for six Canadian cities.

With the "ballistic" (to quote FIFA boss Sepp Blatter) hosting of the Women's U19 here in 2002 - an event which drew 238,000, including 47,484 for the final, in addition to other hosting successes - Edmonton fans believed the final would be here.

Warner, in Toronto, said the U-19 event here "could be looked at as an aberration."

This is a man who halfway through the U-19 tournament here was complaining to local organizers about the lack of local media coverage (which was massive) until organizers discovered his complaint was based entirely on the Globe & Mail under his door at his Hotel Macdonald suite.

This is also a man currently under investigation involving allegations of scalping FIFA tickets at the Germany 2006 World Cup.

Whatever, Warner says he's thrilled with a Canadian bid for 2011 and is convinced FIFA must give it to our nation.

INSPECTION TOUR

In town yesterday on a site inspection tour for next year's event, Warner said he believes Canada would have held the Women's World Cup in 2007 if the 2003 event didn't have to be relocated from China to the USA because of SARS. China was given it in 2007.

"You can't count USA 2003 as a CONCACAF hosting because we were asked to host that as a favour to FIFA," said Warner, ignoring the concept that Canada ended up with the men's U-20 instead.

"A 2011 Canada Women's World Cup bid has CONCACAF's full support," he said.

Germany is the current World Cup champion. Canada finished fourth at the last World Cup, but many believe the Canadian team, the nucleus of which Edmonton fell in love with at the 2002 event, will be in the prime of their careers with a chance to win it all in 2011 if they don't do it next year in China.

"It wouldn't be right to go to Germany. It means more to Canada than Germany," said Warner.

And as for the Canadian games and the final in Edmonton?

"After what I've seen, that would only be fair," he said. "We at FIFA are always happy to be in Edmonton. The organization here is always excellent. It's the biggest and the best in this country."

If it all came to be, it might make it an "all's well that ends well" thing.

Christine Sinclair, Kara Lang and the girls have a much higher profile here than the Canada's invisible 71st-ranked men's World Cup qualifying team. And our 10th ranked women, unlike the U-20 men, might actually be in the final.

Warner, for the record, said he still supports Toronto playing host to Canada's opener and the final of the U-20 event.

Toronto, he said, was awarded the final as "a thank you" for the government and private financing provided to build a 24,000 seat stadium.

But "in retrospect" he said his "lucky to even get a semi-final" and "aberration" quotes may have been too strong. You think?

This week, the CSA will announce that about 350,000 tickets have been sold for the U-20 event in which Toronto will host 13 games, Edmonton nine, Ottawa and Montreal eight, and Victoria and Vancouver seven each.

More than half of those tickets - 180,932 - have been sold in Edmonton.

"Once again Edmonton is the leader of the pack. We knew that it would be. It's not a surprise," said Kevan Pipe of the CSA.

But the final is in Toronto.

Gotta love these guys.

So what if scalps tickets to the World Cup and charges Trinis overinflated ticket packages? The man got Trinidad to the World Cup! That's more than the CSA has been able to do in the last 20 years.

I'd be willing to pay double for a Canada-England game in Johannesburg in 2010, if it means we actually got in! I officially nominate Jack Warner for CSA president!

I'm sure lots of us would 'love him long time'.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this a good use of CSA funds? I mean, is it realistic to think that the World Cup would come to North America for 3 out of 4 tournaments, and staying out of Europe for 16 years?

I read what Warner said about 2003 not being CONCACAF's tournament, but it doesn't change the fact that it was in the USA. The CSA should be aware that the tournament in 2011 will be and should be somewhere in Europe, and then they should prepare a bid for the 2015 tournament.

How much does a Women's world cup cost the host country? Does Fifa take all the revenue and then divide it up among the participating countries? Is their money for first, second, third etc.? Is any of the money used to pay for cup expenses, or does the host country put up the money and then share in any proceeds? Did the women's world cups in the US "pay" for themselves and who got the profit if any. The women would draw much better in N. American than in any other part of the world. Look at the attendance for the under19/20 tournaments in Canada, Thiland and Russia. Does any nation in Europe want the tournament?

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

How much does a Women's world cup cost the host country? Does Fifa take all the revenue and then divide it up among the participating countries? Is their money for first, second, third etc.? Is any of the money used to pay for cup expenses, or does the host country put up the money and then share in any proceeds? Did the women's world cups in the US "pay" for themselves and who got the profit if any. The women would draw much better in N. American than in any other part of the world. Look at the attendance for the under19/20 tournaments in Canada, Thiland and Russia. Does any nation in Europe want the tournament?

European teams could host this tournament very easily, because they already have plenty of soccer-specific stadiums laying in wait. Canada would have to modify almost every facility that we have, in order to have games played in adequate parks.

True, but how well does Women's soccer draw in Europe? How well do the "Premier" women's teams draw in England? Does Arsenal vs. Man U. women draw over 2000 fans? What is the admission cost? I think the tournament in N. America would produce the most revenue.

Manchester United for women no longer exists. Manchester City LFC is in the second division, thus the only way for Arsenal to meet it is in the League Cup. And Arsenal has gone all the way to the finals of the UEFA Cup, meaning that English women's football can no longer be taken for granted in the foreseeable future.

Just so you know, there is a reason why Germany and Norway are former champions and Canada, sorry to say, is not. They have the development (Germany is the only nation to win both the men and women, for Pete's sake!) and I don't think they are lacking in support for a Women's World Cup. And besides the North American cups have lacked in fans anyway. The women's game overall is still in the maturing stages. I personally support it, but give it time to attract enough fans.

• 2 weeks later...

True, but how well does Women's soccer draw in Europe? How well do the "Premier" women's teams draw in England? Does Arsenal vs. Man U. women draw over 2000 fans? What is the admission cost? I think the tournament in N. America would produce the most revenue.

Having the tournament in Canada would not make more money than Europe, because any money made would be offset by the need to upgrade the facilities. Whereas in Europe, the less revenue would be compensated by the fact all the facilities are in place.

Having the tournament in the USA would make money, but of course, they won't be able to go back there for a while, after them getting two in a row. Maybe Mexico?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, then have it in Canada so that we can upgrade the facilities. Besides the Women's World Cup is not as big as the Under 20 Men's Cup and we are able to host that.

The U-20 World Cup has a tradition of going to non-soccer countries, almost as if FIFA uses it to promote the game there. Places like Qatar, UAE, Australia, now Canada, and Saudi Arabia.

Archived