Stama was in nets vs Jamaica We need a new coach!

Derosario23

Stama was the starter and I can't see why he is not in good form and I can comply with Hart putting Braz and Gervais on the bench to start but there is a reason why Sutton is our number 1 for now until Lars comes back. This was a bad decisionon his part! A new head coach is in order and fast!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was Stama at fault on the goals?

It's funny how people are using Kenny club form to dismiss him as a #1 candidate but were reluctant to look at Onstad club form (at that time he was clearly our only keeper getting playing time at a decent level and doing well) to justify him starting for us in 2004. In the case of Pat people were saying that never had a good game for Canada, so if you look at Kenny, he always answered the call and has done fairly well when called no matter what his club form was.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Was Stama at fault on the goals?

It's funny how people are using Kenny club form to dismiss him as a #1 candidate but were reluctant to look at Onstad club form (at that time he was clearly our only keeper getting playing time at a decent level and doing well) to justify him starting for us in 2004. In the case of Pat people were saying that never had a good game for Canada, so if you look at Kenny, he always answered the call and has done fairly well when called no matter what his club form was.

People on these boards did the exact same thing when lars was not playing at spurs or anywhere.. now there screamin for him to come back

Actually I saw him practice in montreal and he doesnt look to be in good form at all may I remind you of the Spain game the second goal in which we could of ended up with a tie if he could of hung on the the damn ball.

People on this board seem to forget that on the professional level your performance reflects your caliber and let's just face it kenny is at most the 3rd goalie puting him after Lars and the only reason im doing that is to make everyone on this board happy because personally I think Lars and Kenny both stink but I will give Lars the benefit since I havent seen him play since the Portugal game which I want to forget. So everyone jump on the bandwagon and critiscize what I have to say I only asked for your opinion not your life story

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Derosario23, are you wildboy26 in diguise?

Hart stated before the Jamaica series that everyone he called would get a chance to play, and presumably that meant to the two keepers as well.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

People on these boards did the exact same thing when lars was not playing at spurs or anywhere.. now there screamin for him to come back

Lars Hirschfeld has always had good publicity on this board and many fans (to be honest I was one of his rare critics with a few others). I'm not sure what you are refering too.

At this point, I feel like someone who's starting at Rosenborg deserves consideration for the MNT but I don't have the impression that people are "screaming" for him to come back, they just want him to get a chance.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

I was just thinking the same thing. Well, at least Hart has indicated

he might get called for the Hungary match. As for a new coach, I'm

not sure if the CSA stated that they'll have a coach by Jan 2007, or

they'll START in Jan 2007. I just hope he's an experienced

international coach that would bring results.

I would add Canadian Soccer fans are probably the only group of fans who would accept the countrys 3rd or 4th best at a position(goalkeeper in this case)to start 4 of the last 6 games, and their best goalkeeper to have not played a game in 20 months. If a football team did not even dress their best QB as the backup for 20 months, did not have him as their starter for 32 months, and played their 3rd or 4th best QB in 67% of the games in the 15 months the fans of that team would think that was outrageous. If a hockey team did not dress their best goaltender for 20 months, did not have him as their starter for 32 months, and played their 3rd or 4th best in 67% of the games in the last 15 months fans would also think that is an outrage. I bet most other Soccer countries would be outraged at a situation like that as well.

However Canadian Soccer fans have no problem whatsoever with the countrys best at one position having not been the starter for 32 months, having not played a single game in 20 months, pushed below yet another weaker person with no explanation of worth given, and the 3rd or 4th best in that role starting 67% of the games in the last 15 months. Canadian Soccer fans though are satisfied with inferior people being played for years for no apparent reason. Mediocrity>Quality wins out.

Hey, im new to this board but I noticed a few times Wildboy26 saying how the CSA has a hidden agenda against Lars. I dont know if this is true or not but to say no other country would accept their 3rd or 4th best player is totally down to personal opinion about each players ability.

David james and Sol Campbell could not get into the England squad and Portsmouth started the season by tying Chelsea's record for consecutive clean sheets to start a season in the Premiership. Lee carsley couldnt get a call up for Ireland when there were 3-4 injuries to other players (meaning ireland were playing with their 5-6 choice central midfielders instead of one of their best in the available and willing everton man).

And these are just two examples off of the top of my head. I havent seen Lars play in ages but maybe he just needed time to prove he was deserving to be back in contention.

Sutton has been performing consistently, hence the keeper of the year awards over the last 4 years. Consistancy is a huge factor and the only consistency Lars has had is his changing clubs. He has playd for 5 clubs i believe it is since the start of 2004 (Tottenham, Gillingham, Dundee Utd, Tromso, Rosenborg).

I do hope that Lars gets his opportunity and that he takes it and shows everyone that he should have been involved with the MNT all along. But with Sutton and Stama being the starters for our recent unbeaten run where we went without conceding a goal, why would they swtich their choice of keepers? I believe the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies.

Actually I hope if Lars or one of the other MNT players the team has shunned for multipe years are called for some bizarre reason(probably a ton of injuries) they slam the phone so hard that the caller(presumably the head coach at the time)needs surgery for his eardrums.

quote:Originally posted by maccaliam

Hey, im new to this board but I noticed a few times Wildboy26 saying how the CSA has a hidden agenda against Lars. I dont know if this is true or not but to say no other country would accept their 3rd or 4th best player is totally down to personal opinion about each players ability.

David james and Sol Campbell could not get into the England squad and Portsmouth started the season by tying Chelsea's record for consecutive clean sheets to start a season in the Premiership. Lee carsley couldnt get a call up for Ireland when there were 3-4 injuries to other players (meaning ireland were playing with their 5-6 choice central midfielders instead of one of their best in the available and willing everton man).

And these are just two examples off of the top of my head. I havent seen Lars play in ages but maybe he just needed time to prove he was deserving to be back in contention.

Sutton has been performing consistently, hence the keeper of the year awards over the last 4 years. Consistancy is a huge factor and the only consistency Lars has had is his changing clubs. He has playd for 5 clubs i believe it is since the start of 2004 (Tottenham, Gillingham, Dundee Utd, Tromso, Rosenborg).

I do hope that Lars gets his opportunity and that he takes it and shows everyone that he should have been involved with the MNT all along. But with Sutton and Stama being the starters for our recent unbeaten run where we went without conceding a goal, why would they swtich their choice of keepers? I believe the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies.

good first post. wildboy, reread above and learn something (notice how he uses factual examples to back up his assertions)

Hey i also jsut came across this quote form Lars himself:

"Right now, I'm really focusing on the club because that's what pays the bills," Hirschfeld said Wednesday.

"International is just an honour thing. You come in and you do it. I want to play in the biggest games.

I want to play in Champions League. After UEFA Cup, that's the next one I'd love to be in."

Perhaps Lars not being included has something to do with his own attitude and commitment to the national team.

According to individuals on this board a goalkeeper like Kenny Statamapolous who has lost his starting job with the worst club in Norway is a better goalkeeper who deserves to play much more then Lars Hirschfeld who was called by the same Trosmo team that has been zero impressed with Kenny as "the best goalkeeper they ever had" and is now starting for arguably the best team in the country. There is nothing I would want to learn from people with that logic, sorry.

According to people on this board the best goalkeeper should not have been in the starters role for 32 straight months for no reason, and not played a game in 20 months; while the 3rd or 4th best goalkeeper should have started 4 of the last 6 games, and there is no problem with that. I would have nothing to want to learn from people like that.

According to people on this board I am nuts to be posting a conspiracy theory that has lasted 32 months in one way/20 months in another which I am have been right on all that time; while the rest scramble with confusion wondering why the player I claim to be conspired against is excluded from the next start for the country and simply rational "there must be something we dont know", "he will be called for the next game". I would not want to learn anything from people like that.

Kenny Statamapolous and Greg Sutton being better(I should say much better since they start much more often) then Lars is such a ridiculous opinion based on so little evidence it takes the very naive to accept that, but given the type of people they need to convince it still is very doable I suppose.

quote:David james and Sol Campbell could not get into the England squad and Portsmouth started the season by tying Chelsea's record for consecutive clean sheets to start a season in the Premiership. Lee carsley couldnt get a call up for Ireland when there were 3-4 injuries to other players (meaning ireland were playing with their 5-6 choice central midfielders instead of one of their best in the available and willing everton man).

The English team you cant compare to Canada. They have one of the top 6 teams in the World, they have much harder choices and much more depth to choose from then Canada. Anyway under Sven Ericsson the team was very political, as David Beckham being so pampered shows. Funny how once that coach was gone Beckham was cut from the team. You will see big changes in English Soccer under the "new coach" I predict including Sol and Campbell playing bigger roles.

quote:And these are just two examples off of the top of my head. I havent seen Lars play in ages but maybe he just needed time to prove he was deserving to be back in contention.

Maybe he needs time to prove he was deserving to be back in contention? He has been playing with a top team since Autumn of last year. Statamapolous has not been playing with his struggling team for several months.

quote:Sutton has been performing consistently, hence the keeper of the year awards over the last 4 years. Consistancy is a huge factor and the only consistency Lars has had is his changing clubs. He has playd for 5 clubs i believe it is since the start of 2004 (Tottenham, Gillingham, Dundee Utd, Tromso, Rosenborg).

Yeah he has been with real teams all that time, not playing in the MLS like Sutton, woohoo winning player of the year in the MLS. [8)]

quote:I do hope that Lars gets his opportunity and that he takes it and shows everyone that he should have been involved with the MNT all along. But with Sutton and Stama being the starters for our recent unbeaten run where we went without conceding a goal, why would they swtich their choice of keepers? I believe the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies.

Well the team just lost their last game and gave up 2 goals so that theory goes out the window now.

Hey i also jsut came across this quote form Lars himself:

"Right now, I'm really focusing on the club because that's what pays the bills," Hirschfeld said Wednesday.

"International is just an honour thing. You come in and you do it. I want to play in the biggest games.

I want to play in Champions League. After UEFA Cup, that's the next one I'd love to be in."

Perhaps Lars not being included has something to do with his own attitude and commitment to the national team.

Why should he commit himself emotionaly and pyschologicaly to a group that stripped him of his starting role right before the WCQ and gave it to Onstad once a new(and corrupt)coach took over, then hardly played him when Onstad played pathetic in net; then after that dropped him behind Sutton as the starting goalkeeper instantly; then also dropped him below the mediocre Kenny Statamapolous with no explanation given. Then on top of that a group that has fans that apparently approve of all this being done with no explanation given for it.

Yes I would commit myself emotionaly to a group that did all of that to me. LOL!

Hey Wildboy26,

Im not saying that Lars shouldnt get the call and be given his chance to show he is the number one for Canada. i hope he does.

I'm just not so sure about this supposed conspiracy theory against him.

You keep saying you hope he slams the phone down on anyone caling to bring him back into the MNT. Perhaps this has happened already and that is why he has been excluded.

Cantona was one of best players in the world while at united, but he was overlooked time and time again by france. There was no conspriacy there, they simply didn't like his temper and his attitude.

I believe the quote i previously posted questions Lars's commitment to the MNT. He clearly states club is his priority.

You make some good points actually, unlike most of the posters here. Still he was very commited to the MNT early in his career. It all seemed to change when Yallop took over and he was being dropped down the pecking order one goalkeeper at a time from that point on, with little explanation given. It is hard to believe that was simply due to his own change of attitude and not how they treated him.

i agree there that his attitude and commitment was likely not his initial reason for being moved down from starter (I think yallop wanted and experienced keeper who he knew well). But perhaps after being removed as starter it did cause him to fall further. More than anythign else, coaches tend to see the definition of a players character as how that individual responds to a setback.

Maybe Lars didnt respond very well.

Blaming Kenny for goals in the Spain game isn't right, watch the replay of that goal carefully. The ball was taken from under him because of a lightning quick drag back by an unmarked striker in the six yard box. Whoops. Not a goalkeeping error, a defensive one. Lets try to see the Jamaica game before we lynch our keepers, this glass if half empty crap is depressing.

If the CSA was not the mess that there would be almost nothing to talk about as far as how Kenny looked in games as he would have hardly played any for Canada so far. There should be no excuses made for somebody who does not even deserve to be playing for Canada and only is due to corruption which leads to weaker people like a Kenny playing over more deserving people who are much better players.

Archived