Stama was in nets vs Jamaica We need a new coach!

Derosario23

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by wildboy26

Well yes, he played against Spain, in Spain (or perhaps you forgot the world-class save against Raul late in the game that kept us in that match).

I haven't seen Lars have a real strong match for Canada since the 2001 Gold Cup.

But yes, 'action speaks louder than words.' Like when Lars couldn't last more than a month with a club in Europe where he actually played (prior to Norway), and his only consistant play was amateur (PDL) in Canada. This while Kenny played (and started) in the Greek First Division. Why weren't you bitching then ? Could it be that your posts are completely biased to the point of being irrelevant ?

Kenny would be the first to admit that Lars is playing at a better level at the moment (because he is playing). Do you realize that Kenny and Lars speak on a regular basis ? Is Lars aware that you are slandering his buddies and doing him more harm than good ?

Re my opinion on the matter. I think Yallop killed us starting Onstad and that Lars should have started all our WCQ games and from what I saw in our game in Edmonton, Lars looked a little out of sorts having to sit and watch. Given that, I can understand that Lars would been inclined to turn down some friendlies following our elimination from WCQ to concentrate on nailing down his career in Norway. Having said that, I'd say when we actually have a coach, I expect Lars to attend. I have unsubstantiated info that Lars has not in fact been called or contacted in quite some time which is so typical of our current administration.

Lars never refused a callup to any game that mattered so I could not really give a flying fcuk whether he 'ignored his country and teammates' to play against Luxembourg or whatever country in a friendly.

Is everyone assuming Wildboy is related to Lars or did he actually say this at some point? At any rate I don't think one's opinion of Lars should be tainted by what some anonymous guy on a fan forum is posting. Lars did not have a permanent right to be #1 but he did have a right to be given a fair shot in a fair competition for the post under the new coach and this did not happen under Yallop. The only way we would have seen Lars start in WCQ under Yallop was if Onstad had been injured. This is particularly bad as based on national team play, I would have to rate even Kenny as superior to Onstad. Too many people are making too many speculative conclusions about the situation. Until Hart actually calls him or states that he called him but Lars said no we don't know what is going on. We should have a much better idea after the Hungary match.

Lars has had some poor matches for Canada though mostly when he was not starting at the club level. He has also had some absolutely stunning games for Canada in which he kept us in the game. Of all of our keepers he is the only one with the ability or potential to be a Craig Forrest style keeper and win games for us that otherwise we would lose. Thus, I would like to see him given the opportunity to show whether he can do this on a regular basis. My #2 at the moment would be Sutton, unspectacular but solid and makes few mistakes. Won't necessarily win games for us but doesn't screw up and lose games either (unlike Onstad). He stops the shots he should stop. Kenny is inconsistent but probably has superior shot stopping ability than Sutton but is not nearly as solid. Onstad is also a superior shot stopper to Sutton but as we all know is very shaky at times, often losing concentration and bobbling the ball. Noone with the exception of Wildboy is saying that Lars should be gifted the job, only that he should be given the fair chance that he wasn't given under Yallop. If he is called and plays poorly than the job should be given to the guy who is playing well.

To give a fair chance in 2004 we would've needed some friendlies....and we only had one against Wales. It was difficult to have a fair battle when we don't play games to evaluate our goalkeepers and players.

Darcy Fett is Lars cousin so I would think that he's comment about Lars choosing not to attend friendlies is not speculation. And I find this quite disturbing that Lars cousin come up here and slags others NT goalies.

Why? I clearly remember you slagging Lars in the past. Having opinions on player ratings is part of being a fan.

I consider Lars to be a better goalkeeper than anybody else currently active for Canada. Is that slagging the other GK's?

Well, I think a familly member of a NT player should show more restraint when commenting about other players. I have no problem about fan opinion and you know it, I love discussing about those issues. I just think that the opinion of Lars cousin could be seen as Lars opinion. Also why going after Kenny and Sutton when he said that Lars decided himself not to attend some friendlies? It's not like they should say "no, I won't come, Lars is better than me....".

I would actually be dissapointed to see Lars accept a call if he did get one in the future. He should not repay the CSA for screwing him over for almost 3 years by playing for them. Anyway if they ever call him it would be just to back up at a game anyway, he would never actually be called to start, and that could make him look bad to his club, backing up a weaker person, so better to just not go at all. So for that reason, even though I think he is by far the best Canadian goalkeeper I do hope to never see him play for Canada again. The same goes for Nsawila actually. I would not like to see him repay the CSA for years of screwing him over. To a lesser extent there are others that have been getting unfair treatment, but alot of them that was rectified with the first 2 friendlies under the new coach(Friend, etc...). In the case of Hirschfeld and Nsawila I hope to never see them play for Canada again, although in another sense they are players I would be happy to see again, just because I would hate to see them let almost 3 years of what the CSA has done to them be just put to the side and forgotten. It should not be.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Well, I think a familly member of a NT player should show more restraint when commenting about other players. I have no problem about fan opinion and you know it, I love discussing about those issues. I just think that the opinion of Lars cousin could be seen as Lars opinion. Also why going after Kenny and Sutton when he said that Lars decided himself not to attend some friendlies? It's not like they should say "no, I won't come, Lars is better than me....".

Maybe he should show more restraint if he is indeed related to Lars. However, you can't necessarily say that anything Lar's cousin says is indicative of Lar's opinion. My cousins don't speak for me and I doubt yours do for you either. I haven't read anything from Darcy Fett that expresses anything different than what several other posters unrelated to Lars have also said, ie. no information only an insider could know and no indication that he is a spokesperson for Lars. In reality relatives and friends should be able to post what they want. It is only because some people may perceive them as speaking for the person that they should be a bit more careful even though this is unfair to them.

I would actually be dissapointed to see Lars accept a call if he did get one in the future. He should not repay the CSA for screwing him over for almost 3 years by playing for them. Anyway if they ever call him it would be just to back up at a game anyway, he would never actually be called to start, and that could make him look bad to his club, backing up a weaker person, so better to just not go at all. So for that reason, even though I think he is by far the best Canadian goalkeeper I do hope to never see him play for Canada again. The same goes for Nsawila actually. I would not like to see him repay the CSA for years of screwing him over. To a lesser extent there are others that have been getting unfair treatment, but alot of them that was rectified with the first 2 friendlies under the new coach(Friend, etc...). In the case of Hirschfeld and Nsawila I hope to never see them play for Canada again, although in another sense they are players I would be happy to see again, just because I would hate to see them let almost 3 years of what the CSA has done to them be just put to the side and forgotten. It should not be.

I won't even bother reading this, but I have a feeling someone's getting nervous about his 200$...

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Maybe he should show more restraint if he is indeed related to Lars. However, you can't necessarily say that anything Lar's cousin says is indicative of Lar's opinion. My cousins don't speak for me and I doubt yours do for you either. I haven't read anything from Darcy Fett that expresses anything different than what several other posters unrelated to Lars have also said, ie. no information only an insider could know and no indication that he is a spokesperson for Lars. In reality relatives and friends should be able to post what they want. It is only because some people may perceive them as speaking for the person that they should be a bit more careful even though this is unfair to them.

Well, at least Darcy is honest and told us about his connexion with Lars. But I think relatives should be welcome to give us info but if I were them I wouldn't go after players who are at the same position of their familly member. Will Johnson parents or Josh Simpson brother never said a thing about Julian Ucello or Jim Brennan for example.

I also think there's a curious contradiction in his message, he first says that Lars choose not to attend friendlies and than he feels the need to go after the other keepers???

Darcy Fett said "u can take it however you want bu i happen to know that the fact that lars is not playing in friendlies with canada has partly to do with his unwillingness to play for an organization that had abandoned him in the first place..."

IMO that's inside informations, I've always heard that it was coaches who weren't calling him and they were often blame (I did it myself) for not calling him. But if he indeed choose to withdraw himself because he feels that way, I think he has to take a part of the blame too.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I won't even bother reading this, but I have a feeling someone's getting nervous about his 200$...

I am not nervous at all. What are the chances a 4th choice goalkeeper for a country gets to play 2 games in only 2 years. That means STARTING the games, not being there as a bench warmer, and it would have to happen TWICE. That is not going to happen when Lars is only the 4th best goalkeeper in Canada in the eyes of the ridiculous CSA brass.

Plus whenever I have made a bet on sports in the past I have won. You can e-mail any of the people I have made the bets with if you dont believe me. It is usually on the type of things that is the case here, something others seem slow to figure out which I saw signs of long ago. I am a year away from winning my latest bet too, the overhyped American tennis player Andy Roddick going 4 years from winning the U.S open to not winning another major which I bet $300 on. People at the time thought I was crazy, I knew exactly what I was talking about though.

First and foremost, I am by no means a spokesperson for Lars, my opinions are mine and mine alone. Any one of you that perceive my opinions as that of Lars should log off this forum and enroll in classes to cure your complete and utter narrowmindedness....As for me "slagging" other goalies I have not meant to knock the other goalies only to say that the level that they are playing at right now does not warrant that they should be placed ahead of Lars, I mean I always thought the player playing the best at the highest level deserves the position, even when Lars was backup at Tottenham I would place his training higher than that of a starter in the MLS or USL, I mean it is the EPL that we are talking about...If we want to look at past performances Lars is the only goalie of the 3 that has actually done something of significance with the MNT, he has proven to be a big game goalie for them...playing well or not in a friendly I think is a terrible way to judge a player, look at the NHL pre season and what bearing it has once the season begins, some teams may have played like crap but step it up when it matters and others may have lit it up but cant handle the real games...when Lars played for Osieck he was pleased with the way the organization was ran and appreciated the discipline Osieck instituted, under Yallop he was instantly ousted from his position and replaced with what I think we have all agreed upon an inferior Onstad; is it a coincidence that Onstad started for Yallop in the MLS and then suddenly started for him in the MNT, HELL NO IT ISNT....Lars has a great relationship with many of the MNT members and has the highest respect for them, he does not feel that he is better than any of them nor does he feel he is owed something. He enjoyed playing for his national team and is still honored to do so but they would not play him if he didnt have a solid position at a club, instead they played guys who werent even training at a level as high as lars. Lars went to Europe and tried to make it instead of going to the MLS and settling for something, If Sutton would have gone to Europe first he would have experienced the same fate as Lars with being bounced from team to team...Now that Lars has a solid situation he has openly said that the National team is second priority to his club because he wants to be able to establish himself and prove himself at an Elite level he is only doing what the CSA has wanted from him for the last 30 months...Finally Lars does have duel citizenship and since he has already capped for Canada he cannot cap for anyone else, and plus as much as I am a fan of Lars, the German NT would be a long shot to crack.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

But yes, 'action speaks louder than words.' Like when Lars couldn't last more than a month with a club in Europe where he actually played (prior to Norway), and his only consistant play was amateur (PDL) in Canada. This while Kenny played (and started) in the Greek First Division. Why weren't you bitching then ? Could it be that your posts are completely biased to the point of being irrelevant ?

You have no idea what I thought back then since I did not post on this forum back then. I could say the same thing to you, you have no problem with Statamapolous being way ahead of Hirschfeld on the CSA pecking order, while struggling and not even starting for a struggling club, that Lars brought up last year, while Lars is starting for a top club in the same division. Yet you are saying it was wrong previously when Lars was over people like Statamapolous on the depth chart with a weaker club situation back then.

quote:Originally posted by Darcy Fett

First and foremost, I am by no means a spokesperson for Lars, my opinions are mine and mine alone. Any one of you that perceive my opinions as that of Lars should log off this forum and enroll in classes to cure your complete and utter narrowmindedness....As for me "slagging" other goalies I have not meant to knock the other goalies only to say that the level that they are playing at right now does not warrant that they should be placed ahead of Lars, I mean I always thought the player playing the best at the highest level deserves the position, even when Lars was backup at Tottenham I would place his training higher than that of a starter in the MLS or USL, I mean it is the EPL that we are talking about...If we want to look at past performances Lars is the only goalie of the 3 that has actually done something of significance with the MNT, he has proven to be a big game goalie for them...playing well or not in a friendly I think is a terrible way to judge a player, look at the NHL pre season and what bearing it has once the season begins, some teams may have played like crap but step it up when it matters and others may have lit it up but cant handle the real games...when Lars played for Osieck he was pleased with the way the organization was ran and appreciated the discipline Osieck instituted, under Yallop he was instantly ousted from his position and replaced with what I think we have all agreed upon an inferior Onstad; is it a coincidence that Onstad started for Yallop in the MLS and then suddenly started for him in the MNT, HELL NO IT ISNT....Lars has a great relationship with many of the MNT members and has the highest respect for them, he does not feel that he is better than any of them nor does he feel he is owed something. He enjoyed playing for his national team and is still honored to do so but they would not play him if he didnt have a solid position at a club, instead they played guys who werent even training at a level as high as lars. Lars went to Europe and tried to make it instead of going to the MLS and settling for something, If Sutton would have gone to Europe first he would have experienced the same fate as Lars with being bounced from team to team...Now that Lars has a solid situation he has openly said that the National team is second priority to his club because he wants to be able to establish himself and prove himself at an Elite level he is only doing what the CSA has wanted from him for the last 30 months...Finally Lars does have duel citizenship and since he has already capped for Canada he cannot cap for anyone else, and plus as much as I am a fan of Lars, the German NT would be a long shot to crack.

Thanks Darcy, if you've read this board in the last few months I think pretty much everyone here agree that Lars should be call for our MNT. As far as I'm concern, 2 yrs prior to the next round of qualification I'm all for a battle for the #1 position and I would like us to play more friendlies so we can have a good look at everybody (and that apply to all the players). So I don't think you need to go after Kenny and Sutton to convince us that Lars is better than the other two.

I don't agree with your assessment that the GK playing at the highest level should be our starter, that would mean that Lars, Wagenaar and Kenny are our top 2 GK at the moment and I would feel that Lars and Sutton are currently better than Josh and Kenny. An old GK might find himself in a weaker league just because he doesn't have the time to spend 2 yrs on the bench of a big club but could also be a better GK than the back up or third keeper at a big club.

I truly believe that if we want to qualify for the next WC we need a united group who'll show some commitment to the cause. We've seen with the last 2 games that our best players showed up so I hope that Lars will do the same if he's call.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Darcy Fett

On the basis of this quote, Dani Fernandes training with Celta Vigo, in Champions League at the time, which Spurs have never been, was already our number one keeper four years ago.

And on the basis of last year's appearances in UEFA cup as well.

So Lars has little reason to be slighted compared to him, as according to your criteria Lars was at a lower level than Fernandes and DID get starts and respect.

Conclusion: Lars should be happy for the calls he did get, as others were more royally screwed (this is your logic at work) and never got calls. But mind you, are now capped for another country, so they had a way out. Since Lars does not, and any semi-intelligent pro should know playing international football is always an honour, as you are doing so for your country, not the current coach or staff or federation, the best he can do is be a bit discreet, however pissed off, and slip back in FOR HIS OWN BENEFIT as soon as he gets the chance.

Wildboy, are you ignoring me? When was the last time yuo saw Lars play a game to be able to come to the conclusion that he is better? This is the third time I've asked, and your ignoring of my question takes away any credibility that your theory has (and it has little to begin with).

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Since Lars does not, and any semi-intelligent pro should know playing international football is always an honour, as you are doing so for your country, not the current coach or staff or federation, the best he can do is be a bit discreet, however pissed off, and slip back in FOR HIS OWN BENEFIT as soon as he gets the chance.

Jeffrey I totally agree. I would also add that our players, for

years, have played for the MNT not for the CSA, but to represent

their country.

Archived