Grass v Real Turf

Guest Can. in UK

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Can. in UK

Utter arrogance on his (& Mo Johnston's) part.

I suspect that it will not only put players off - but fans too!

Personally, I would think twice about buying a season ticket now.

"Any player who doesn't want to play on FieldTurf is not someone who we would be interested in having on our team," Johnston said through a team spokesman.

Ah, ha ha ha. Brilliant.

This is going to be great. I can't wait.

Irregardless of what TFC and it's Grand Pooh-bah think (or more accurately, don't) as a national stadium my concearns lay more in the ability of the CSA to attract foreighn competition to come out and play at the joint. And as equaly as important is the ability of those visiting sides to bring their best sides to the fixture.

Huh? Why do I see quite a few players taking a pass on playing there? That should help market the games.

P.S. Oop. Just a little disclaimer. I'm all for Field Turf. Have been for some time, but I can at least see that the surface has a long way to go in winning over the pro players and that is a very real problem. Don't think it is a justified bias on those players parts, but it is a widely held one.

quote:Originally posted by JesseDart

What is the difference of regardless and irregardless?

Regardless we are talking about our "National" Soccer Stadium.

Irregardless it is becoming less a "Soccer" Specific "National" Stadium.

.........oh this is gonna hurt [}:)]

i am a fan of field turf - for youth soccer. simply because the amount of use those levels put into the fields. you have upwards of a dozen teams training on a field EVERY day. field turf suits this as no matter the weather the field surface remains true, consistent and safe - especially in the wintery tundra which is canada. however, professionals must use real grass.

especially this pitch must be real grass. yes it will be difficult to maintain in winter - but not impossible (SEE THE SCANDINAVIAN AND BRITISH COUNTRIES! not too mention germany etc...). however, TFC will be playing summer ... no concern about snow then!

must be real grass. it sounds as though a petition won't help unfortunately.

Fieldturf was a bonehead move from the get-go. Remember how Pipe said in 2004 we'd play some WCQ in Ottawa and Montreal on the surface? Did we? The national team players don't want to play on it, I can guarantee no decent-level team will agree to play on it. I thought this was supposed to be our national soccer stadium? Expect to see many youth and women teams there, but I doubt we'll see the senior Nats play there more than once or twice with a sub-par squad.

I love the surface for city-fields as 90% of the grass fields here are garbage. At the pro game, there's no need for it. The CSA is once again putting amateur-level revenue before our national team - the stadium "needs" to be fieldturf only because there "needs" to be a bubble over it in the winter. They are once again turning a deaf ear to player concerns, which should be the first of their worries.

Vancouver Stadium and Saputo Stadium are both going with grass and the owners have repeated this often. With WCQ opening in 2008, I'd expect more games in Montreal than in Toronto if both stadiums are up and running.

Telling line:

JDG: "This stadium is supposed to be our new icon for soccer in the country, and the approach seems to be very cheap. It is a step backward in my eyes."

Best quote ever:

"I am definitely 100-per-cent pro grass," De Rosario said.

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Regardless we are talking about our "National" Soccer Stadium.

Irregardless it is becoming less a "Soccer" Specific "National" Stadium.

.........oh this is gonna hurt [}:)]

Oh! I get now, it's kinda like the difference between "nuclear" and "nukular"!

Makes sense now. Thanks for that!

Guest speedmonk42

The Vancouver stadium will have modular grass, correct?

Since modular grass is the only way grass is ever going to be used in the Toronto stadium....well then it can be done anytime...yes/no?

quote:Originally posted by MegasAlexandros

Since we're discussing FieldTurf, I think it should be mentionned that the UEFA Champions League match between CSKA Moscow and Hamburg was played on Fieldturf at the Luzniki Stadium in Moscow....

CSKA is playing at natural grass Lokomotiv stadium. Spartak Moscow however is playing their CL games on field turf at Luzniki. Saw one of the earlier qualifying round games there on television and as a spectator one doesn't notice the difference, ball seemed to bounce fairly similar to grass.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

CSKA is playing at natural grass Lokomotiv stadium. Spartak Moscow however is playing their CL games on field turf at Luzniki. Saw one of the earlier qualifying round games there on television and as a spectator one doesn't notice the difference, ball seemed to bounce fairly similar to grass.

Ooops, my bad... got the Moscow teams mixed up there.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I doubt it will.

Yeah, I wonder about the financial viability of it. I wonder how much it costs to assemble/dissasemble/maintain it, and in Vancouvers case ship it as well. But if Vancouver and other places can make it work, then the TO stadium should be able to as well.

Is the field turf going to be modular in TO? That would provide them with event flexibility as well. If so, then switching to a grass modular system isn't much of a stretch, if it works.

I love the stuff personally. It is a slightly different game, but not worse/bad in my opinion.

Given the extremely nasty pitches we have to play on in the carribean and central America I would think guys like DeRo would welcome it down there.

quote:Originally posted by JesseDart

What is the difference of regardless and irregardless?

Irregardless and regardless have identical meanings. Irregardless is considered nonstandard because of the two negative elements 'ir' and 'less' (double negatives are generally unacceptable in English). Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. The word first appeared in the early 20th century and was perhaps popularized by its use in an American comic radio program of the 1930s. Its use has been considered a blunder for decades and continues to be considered so.

In order to fulfil the commitment to the various levels of government who provided funding, that the facility would be made available as a community resource and to maximise its usage, the CSA and MLSE have no choice but to instal FieldTurf.

Frankly, if players selected to a spot on the national team decline the invitation because of their objection to FieldTurf, then they don't really want to play on the national team - men or women. Since FieldTurf is FIFA approved for international competition no player will have any legitimate grounds for refusing to play on it. Players better start getting used to the idea because FieldTurf and products like it are the way of the future.

I agree that this is a cheap way of doing this. In addition to that, the strongheadedness of Pipe and Johnston is a bit of a put off.

Field Turf is great for Amateur soccer, because it holds up to the abuse, and is way more fun for kids than gravel all weather fields. But this is supposed to be our National Stadium. What countries would play on field turf? The SPL did an experiment with Dunfermline using field turf, and the other clubs were highly critical of it.

The fact is that the CSA is at the mercy of the government that gave them money, and MLSE that is running the facility. And this is the consequence.

Guest speedmonk42

If MLS and national team games are a roaring sucess at this stadium...well we may well see a modular system in the future, and even expansion of the stadium.... we can only hope.

But in the short term this is the only solution.

As for the question "What countries would play on Field Turf?" Well at least one in this world cup does. Costa Rica.

Expect more central, and carribean countries to install it.

I can't for life of me imagine that those players would take the nasty fields they have had to play on in those countries over FT.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

The SPL did an experiment with Dunfermline using field turf, and the other clubs were highly critical of it.

Dunfermline did a test run of one of FieldTurf's competitor's, if I'm not mistaken.

Archived