Another defection??? (Adam Street)

loyola

Adam Street was with our NTC and he did appear in one of those Fox Sports Canada program call Direct Kick and I'm pretty sure he lived in Canada before moving to West Ham United. He must be eligible through his parents or grandparents.

He played his youth soccer here.

Hey, remember way back when Hargreaves had yet to make his decision, and a few numb-nuts here and elsewhere argued that this would be good for Canada in the long run? How come I'm getting the impression--like I did back then--that this is proving to be a load of bollocks, that what Hargreave's example really showed was that ambitious and talented young Canadian could "do so much better than play for Canada: so keep your options open and you might someday play for Holland or England etc etc.".

Maybe I'm wrong; maybe these young players would have opted to play for another country anyways. But it makes one wonder, don't it?

In answer to The Beaver, I would think you can thank Hargreaves for Nsaliwa and Ledgerwood starting out with good clubs in Germany. So there was some benefit. His name (in Ledgerwood's case) and Niendorf's association with Hargreaves landing at Bayern (in Nsaliwa's case) opened the door for them to get a real look at 1860 Muenchen and Nurnberg (respectively).

There is no logic to your assertion; FIFA changed the rules, not Hargreaves. These kids are taking advantage of that opportunity. The f*ing English have been poaching or trying to poach our players forever as was the case with Dunfeld. What do we do in return? Give their rejects jobs in our national and provincial associations.

WF, where's that Brian Tobin when we need him????

According to FIFA's rules, Street can only play for England if he gets the papers work done because he already played for us in an U17WCQ in 2005 when he was 13....

It's the same case as de Jong but Street has a few years to decide what he'll do unless he wants to play in the UEFA U17 qualifications.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

According to FIFA's rules, Street can only play for England if he gets the papers work done because he already played for us in an U17WCQ in 2005 when he was 13....

It's the same case as de Jong but Street has a few years to decide what he'll do unless he wants to play in the UEFA U17 qualifications.

Help me with this:

If he plays for england in the U-17's, but not the senior squad, then we can get him back before age 20 ?

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Well, Tobin had some REAL leverage when he fired a few shots over the hull of that Portuguese (spanish?) trawler: What the hell does the CSA have in terms of leverage? Do they even have guns and warships?

:D

Oh-my-God. If they don't, you just know it couldn't hurt to get some..

• 1 month later...

If your speaking of being cap-tie to England, he'll need to be on the field at some point during an official youth game, qualification for a WYC or a WYC game (so friendlies, or tournament like the one England is involve right now doesn't count).

• 2 weeks later...

This is was an emaiL I sent to CSA. Probably not everyone

agrees with this opinion but food for thought...

Nov 10th

Hi

Does the CSA have any idea how committed this Kid is playing for Canada? - apparently he

played for England against N. Ireland this week. I know it's beyond the control of the CSA

what players do. But personally as a CDN soccer fan I cannot not see the sense of investing money

in an individual who is playing the field and in the end quite possibly would pursue his chances with

England over Canada. We need individuals who are committed to playing for Canada. I cannot help

but feel that the CSA needs to take a firmer stand with players. If we have another U17 GK with potential and

who is committed to playing for Canada - give him the opportunity and stop calling up Adam Street (West Ham system).

Any way those are the opinions of one CDN fan for what it's worth.

thanks

Nigel Edmonds

Ottawa

interesting perpspecitve NPE. I guess we never call anyone who has not decided which country they wish to commit to.

I have made my feelings known on this subject many times on this board. I personally believe that anyone who is brought up in Canada, is a Canadian, but chooses to play for another nation is a traitor (and should be treated as such by Canadians). Playing for your nation is an honour and not a commercial opportunity. If it is treated as a commercial oppurtunity by players, there should be no national teams and we should just all watch the Champions League (which is better quality football anyway). People and nations watch the world cup and it is a spectacle because of the fact it is about more than football.

This being said, the reality is that as Canada improves in soccer, more and more players will jump ship and play for "better" nations or for "more convenient" nations (eg. Wales). This will be part of the growing pains of Canadian soccer development. Until we can consistently qualify for the World Cup and be competitive in that tournament, many of our best players will put their selfish desires to compete at the highest level and the possible commercial opportunities that brings (whether real or imaginary) ahead of any national honour.

And lets be honest, the reason many good players become professional class soccer stars is because of selfish dedication to their pursuits including leaving home at an early age to improve their skils and "beat the odds". Its not difficult to see that if that is what it takes, such an environment is not conducive to developing "loyalty", "honour" or other such attributes in the individual. They will tend to be people that are willing to sell their skills to the highest bidder. And its not surprising that those that are most committed to Canada are players that are most committed to their club sides (such as JDV at Ipswich; or ironically Bircham at QPR) as the mentality is more the team then themselves (which also probably is part of the reason they are not stars).

Look, I realize it's not a black and white issue but if someone

is showing commitment to more than one country (and given the

the limited resources of the CSA)lets go with the player

who is demonstrating a greater commitment to want to play for us

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all....I have been a fan of this forum for some time but have just recently decided to participate. I can't begin to say how how dissapointed i am with all these defections. As a child I begged my parents to go let me play in Italy and to their credit they said ok but with a little tap on the shoulder reminding me that Canada gave them a life. Simple. My parents sound like they walked off the boat yesterday but if someone asks what their nationality is...they always say Canadian. God bless them. On a side note i was told i should stick with hockey by the Italians.

Archived