Canucks in Germany - September 2006

Guest Ed

The Bundesliga leagues are finally back in action after almost a 3 week break.

On Saturday, Kapitan Kevin McKenna and Energie Cottbus play their 4th game of the season as they host FSV Mainz 05. A win for Cottbus would be huge as they have done well so far to earn a win and a draw in their 1st season back in the Bundesliga 1.

Daniel Imhof is finally fit and set to start on Saturday as VfL Bochum are away to 'the Club', FC Nurnberg. Bochum have had a disappointing start, without a point in 3 games, after doing so well

in the B2 last season (immediately gaining promotion after their 2004/2005 relegation).

In the Bundesliga 2, 1860 Muenchen are away to SC Freiburg on Sunday with Nik Ledgerwood still coming back from surgery.

Josh Simpson and FC Kaiserslautern are away to Hansa Rostock in the Monday evening game.

In the Regional League South, 1860 Muenchen amateurs, with Kent O'Connor' host Darmstadt 98 on Saturday. The Munich side are still looking for their first win of the season.

In the Regional League North, FC St. Pauli are playing Bayer Leverkusen amateurs this evening (no word on whether Jonathan Bourgault is with the big team).

On Sunday, Blerim Rrustemi and Borussia Moenchengladbach amateurs host the Hertha Berlin SC amateurs.

In the Oberliga North, Maycoll Canizales and FC Oberneuland are in action right now as they host the VfL Osnabrueck amateurs.

On Sunday, FC St Pauli II are away to the amateurs of VfL Wolfsburg where we are more likely to see Jonathan Bourgault in action.

In the Oberliga Baden-Wurttemberg, Robert kerek of Bahlinger SC are in action now away to FC Emmendingen. On Saturday, Victor Oppong and SV Waldhof Mannheim host SC Freiburg amateurs.

Finally, in the Oberliga NOFW North, Ryan Thomson and Tennis Borussia Berlin are in action next Wednesday against BFC Dynamo.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maycoll Canizales doesn't see any action in today's 3-0 win for FC Oberneuland, despite appearing in all 5 previous matches.

Jonathan Bourgault did not appear with the senior St Pauli squad today but is listed as starting in the m/f in the Oberliga Nord game on Sunday.

With Julian de Guzman seeing little action with Deportivo la Coruna, I will keep an ear out for transfer rumours. Remember that the Spanish club was not the only club interested in him prior to his move from Hannover 96.

Imhof played 64 as Bochum pick up their first point this season, tieing first place FC Nurnberg.

McKenna played 90 and was involved in the first goal as Cottbus continue their surprisingly impressive start of the Bundesliga campaign with a 2-0 victory over Mainz. Cottbus is tied for 4th place with Dortmund and currently in a UEFA spot.

Familarity? The sort that only comes with playing with the same fellows week in and week out under a manager who's training the same system into everybody on the squad all the time?

I'm going to bet Big Kev is playing off his teammates, and his teammates off him in fashions which must be near impossible to recreate at the international level. At least in 3 day get togethers, or between coaching changes.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Familarity? The sort that only comes with playing with the same fellows week in and week out under a manager who's training the same system into everybody on the squad all the time?

I'm going to bet Big Kev is playing off his teammates, and his teammates off him in fashions which must be near impossible to recreate at the international level. At least in 3 day get togethers, or between coaching changes.

Yes but every other player on our team is in the same situation and no one else playing at or near his level looked nearly so poor other than Stalteri who was recovering from an injury and playing out of position.

Yes the Austria games was one of his better ones for us although he only played for one half. He has never been my favourite as a defender but I thought that his play had improved in that game. Thus I was expecting further improvement now that he is playing in the 1st Bundesliga and seems to be doing well yet I thought he played very poorly against Jamaica.

I can't remember who his centre back partner was against Austria, but perhaps it was a quicker sort (Hutch, Kluka?). Reda plays the same style and has the same characteristics as Big Kev. I think he needs a quicker partner back there, which is why it is important to get Nsaliwa back on line or get JDG2 in the fold, which will allow us to move Hutch to the back with less affect to the midfield.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Yes the Austria games was one of his better ones for us although he only played for one half. He has never been my favourite as a defender but I thought that his play had improved in that game. Thus I was expecting further improvement now that he is playing in the 1st Bundesliga and seems to be doing well yet I thought he played very poorly against Jamaica.

The Austrian players would be more similar in playing style to the German players he was facing every week than the Jamaican players that caused him fits earlier this month.

Reda was his partner in Austria. He did have Kluka on the wing but otherwise the backline was the same with Poz on the other side though Poz lasted the whole game. I am not convinced by the style argument because there are a lot of fast strikers and midfielders in the Bundesliga from South America and Africa who play a similar style to the Jamaican team and at a far higher skill level than the Jamaican B team. Maybe in the Austria game he wasn't facing particularly fast players so his lack of speed wasn't apparent but in the 1st Bundesliga he is facing faster players with better movement than those of the Jamaica team.

CANADA: 1-Kenny Stamatopoulos; 2-Chris Pozniak; 5-Marco Reda; 4-Kevin McKenna (capt) (11-Jim Brennan, 46); 15-Mike Klukowski (3-Ante Jazic, 67); 13-Atiba Hutchinson; 6-Adrian Serioux (8-Patrice Bernier, 57); 10-Sandro Grande (12-Will Johnson, 84); 9-Tomasz Radzinski; 14-Dwayne De Rosario (vice-capt); 7-Ali Gerba (16-Rob Friend, 60)

Head Coach: Frank Yallop (CAN)

Subs not used: 22-Greg Sutton

AUSTRIA: 1-Helge Payer; 2-Andreas Dober; 4-Martin Hiden (13-Ferdinand Feldhofer, 46); 3-Emanuel Pogatetz; 5-Paul Scharner; 7-Joachim Standfest (15-Yüksel Sariyar, 85); 6-René Aufhauser; 10-Andreas Ivanschitz (capt) (16-Michael Mörz, 80); 8-Markus Kiesenebner (14-Ronald Gercaliu, 73); 11-Muhammet Akagündüz (17-Zlatko Junuzovic, 62); 9-Roland Linz

Head Coach: Josef Hickersberger (AUS)

Subs not used: 21-Andreas Schranz

Guest Jeffery S.

He was quite sure beside Hutchinson vs. Spain a year ago. It was Fernando Torres and Tamudo up high against them, with Luque attacking down the left and Luis García down the right. So there was speed, experience and firepower to deal with. Probably was Hutch's man when Tamudo scored on a header. The second goal came after a great inside pass from De la Peña, maybe the mids should have pressured the pass. McKenna was not at fault in either IMO. In general the team was tight, Serioux helped a lot to cut attacks down the middle, and that meant the centre defenders rarely found themselves one on one in open space vs. a dangerous striker.

It is not unusual to see centre defenders performing well in function of their partners at the back, in fact most need help and "play off" someone, then there are those special types who give orders, see clearly the attacks, dominate in their zones and beyond and help anyone else they are with. Probably just a few dozen of those in the world, to be honest. Don't think Kevin is one of them. De Vos felt close to that at times, in a 2nd tier kinda way, only his foot skills are only mediocre.

Canada coaches have frequently blundered by not seeing -ie watching, live or on screen- how their players excel at their respective clubs, then playing them wrongly, out of position, out of character or habit, and getting poorer performances out of them.

This is the Spanish summary:

2. España: Reina; Sergio Ramos, Pablo, Juanito, Antonio López; Luis García (Vicente, min.67), De la Peña (Xavi, min. 74), Orbaiz (Xabi Alonso, min.46), Luque (Joaquín, min. 55); Fernando Torres (Raúl, min. 55) y Tamudo (Morientes, min. 55).

1. Canadá: Stamatopoulos; Braz, Mc Kenna, Hutchinson, Klukovski; De Rosario (Placentino, min.85), Serioux, De Guzmán, Bernier (Grande, min. 70); Radzinski y Gerba (Simpson, min.66).

Goles: 1-0. Min. 7. Tamudo, de cabeza, a pase de Luque desde la izquierda. 2-0. Min. 69. Morientes resuelve en el área. 2-1. Min.

73. Grande, desde fuera del área, sorprende a Reina.

Simpson came on to start the second half with Kaiserslautern down 1-0 to Rostock. Apparently this had a positive effect as they played far better for 20 minutes until one of their players was sent off with his second yellow. Rostock won 2-0. Hopefully this will help him get a start.

Kicker gave Simpson a ranking of 3 which was tied for second best on the team and much better than the 4.5 which they gave to the player he subbed on for. The game report from Kaiserslautern's website states:

Der eingewechselte Josh Simpson sorgte über die linke Seite für eine deutliche Belebung des Angriffsspiels.(The subbed on Josh Simpson created on the left side a noticeable enlivenment of the attack.)

The Kaiserslautern fanforum has many people calling for Simpson to start. Some of the posters ranked him as their best player and many ranked the guy he subbed out as their worst player. The only criticism is he tries to do too much on his own and loses the ball instead of passing. However, while the posters hoped this would improve even with this they state that when he came on the game changed from Rostock attacking down the left at will to Kaiserslautern attacking on the left. Hopefully the coach sees things similarly.

Here's a little background on the new club for Maycoll Canizales (pictured).

The team had a substantial 15 point lead (120 GF - 25 GA) in first place in the Bremen Verbandsliga (5th div) last season leading to promotion to the Oberliga Nord. Other promoted teams from the Bremen Verbandsliga have had very little success in the Oberliga (4th div) but a number of new players have been signed (including Canizales) and trainer Firat Atkas intends to get established in the 4th division. The club, established in 1948, have been in the Oberliga before, in a division known then as the Oberliga Niedersachsen/Bremen (Lower Saxony/Bremen) from the late 90's through to 2003/2004 season before the Oberligen were re-organized for the 2004-2005 season.

571106_13

Canizales is starting to get a bit old to be still playing in the 4th division. He probably is better paid than he would be in the USL but the level of play is below that of the USL. Not looking very hopeful as far as having a successful career or being a future national team player.

Josh Simpson will have a big stage October 18th as FC Kaiserslautern visit Allianz Arena to take on Bayern Munich in the 2nd round of the German FA Cup (DFB Pokal).

Canizales is starting to get a bit old to be still playing in the 4th division. He probably is better paid than he would be in the USL but the level of play is below that of the USL. Not looking very hopeful as far as having a successful career or being a future national team player.

I was thinking the same thing and wondering if having a good summer with the Lynx instead might have opened a door with the new MLS team for next season and help get his foot in the MNT door again. That's a lot of "if's" though... ;)

quote:Originally posted by David C.

I was thinking the same thing and wondering if having a good summer with the Lynx instead might have opened a door with the new MLS team for next season and help get his foot in the MNT door again. That's a lot of "if's" though... ;)

If he had a rich Mommy or Daddy that might be an option. A guy's got to make a living though.

Archived