Canucks in Germany - September 2006

Guest Ed

quote:Originally posted by Ed

If he had a rich Mommy or Daddy that might be an option. A guy's got to make a living though.

I am not criticizing him for making a living and I certainly don't wish that any professional soccer player has to earn a Lynx salary. I was just expecting Canizales and Oppong as well for that matter to progress a bit further than being career 4th division players in these weak German regional divisions.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To follow up on Grizzly's speculation on Josh Simpson, he is supposed to start tomorrow as FC Kaiserslautern take on TuS Koblenz in the Bundesliga 2.

On the FCK website, coach Wolfgang Wolf (who really should have had lifetime position as coach of VfL Wolfsburg, for his name alone) is quoted as saying that Josh brought a lot of energy into the game Monday when he was subbed in and has earned the start.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

If he had a rich Mommy or Daddy that might be an option. A guy's got to make a living though.

True, Ed. Question is, do 4th division regional teams pay more than an MLS franchise? If they don't, wouldn't it be worth the one summer sacrifice (playing for the Lynx), in order to attempt making the jump to something potentially better (MLS/MNT)? This was just an alternative idea, I was proposing for discussion. That's all.

quote:Originally posted by David C.

True, Ed. Question is, do 4th division regional teams pay more than an MLS franchise? If they don't, wouldn't it be worth the one summer sacrifice (playing for the Lynx), in order to attempt making the jump to something potentially better (MLS/MNT)? This was just an alternative idea, I was proposing for discussion. That's all.

I wasn't aware that 4th division players were paid that well. I was under the impression that a MTL or Vancouver player would receive approximately the same kind of salary overall.

I'm not trying to end the discussion. It's my understanding that Maycoll doesn't have much of a support network so to speak, so would be in a very vulnerable position to leave a paycheck behind. That's all I'm saying. In an ideal world, where BMO money went to aspiring players and not suits sitting in the MLSE offices, he could take that chance, but not in the real world.

I would also think that Oberliga players make overall a good deal more than the bottle picking wages I've seen the MLS pay out to the younger less-established players.

Half (14 of 28) of DC United players make less than $35,000US and 9 of those players make less than $16,500US. (source - Washington Post April 27th, 2006).

Some 4th division players are paid quite well while others are at a similar level to the Lynx players. If you are not a name player, MLS salaries can also be quite low so if you are getting a decent salary in the 4th division it would not be worth it to lose a year with the Lynx to try and catch on with TFC. There are 9 regional 4th divisions in Germany some of which are much stronger than others. The number of divisions greatly reduces the playing level compared to England, for example, which has a nationwide 4th division. Each division usually has a couple of stronger teams with full time players, a couple of reserve teams from 1st 2nd or 3rd division teams and a large number of poorer teams (often from small towns, a suburb of a larger city or even villages) with semi-pro players, ie. guys who also have day jobs. If you see a match with the top two teams in the division the level approaches USL level but most of the matches are not very high quality. The players on the stronger teams who want to promote are often paid quite well for the quality of soccer as are the reserve team players. An estimate might be in the $40 000 to $90 000 range. The semi-pro teams often have one or two players who are higher paid than the rest of the team, often paid for by a sponsor. Most of the foreign players are on the upper range of the pay scale by which I mean they are making at least $40 000. Canizales is not playing for a big club but it seems that this club has some ambitions so he is probably making more than he would make for either the Lynx or TFC. I think at his age if he is still playing 4th division soccer he is probably simply not good enough for TFC and might not even be a starter for the Lynx. The German pyramid is going to change in a year or two to a much better nation-wide 3rd division with a 4th division of 3 regional leagues and the oberligas moving down to 5th division.

Thanks for the explanations Grizzly.

When he was with the U20's I thought Canizales was one of our best prospect. I agree that it seems late for him to be a contender for a spot on our NT but he isn't too old yet so we never know what might happen but the chances are slim.

Both Bundesliga 1 teams with Canucks are in action on Sunday this weekend.

Time for Kapitan Kevin and Energie Cottbus to see if their surprising start (2 wins and a draw in four games) has wheels. Cottbus host surprise league co-leaders FC Nuernberg.

Daniel Imhof and VfL Bochum (1 draw in four games) have a chance to move up in the standings as they take on Arminia Bielefeld who have a win and draw in 4 games.

In the Bundesliga 2, as already posted, Josh Simpson and FC Kaiserslautern host Tus Koeblenz today in Kaiserslautern.

1860 Muenchen are away to the Zebras (MSV Duisburg) on Sunday, with Nik Ledgerwood still coming back from surgery (he had an operation in April/May and another in August).

In the Regional League North, FC St. Pauli are away to Kickers Emden on Saturday with Jonathan Bourgault likely staying with the amateur team.

Also on Saturday, Blerim Rrustemi and Borussia Moenchengladbach amateurs travel to take on FC Union Berlin.

In the Regional League South, 1860 Muenchen amateurs are away to SC Pfullendorf today. Kent O'Connor is not listed as a starter (I'll confirm).

In the Oberliga North, Maycoll Canizales and FC Oberneuland are away to ASV Bergedorf 85 and Jonathan Bourgault with FC St Pauli II host VSK Osterholz-Scharmbeck.

In the Oberliga Baden-Wurttemberg, Victor Oppong and SV Waldhof Mannheim are away to SC 08 Villingen and Robert Kerek and Bahlinger SC host TSV Crailsheim, both games on Saturday.

In the Oberliga NOFW North, Ryan Thomson and Tennis Borussia Berlin are away to Ludwigsfelder SC on Sunday.

Big comeback in front of 35,000 fans for Josh Simpson and the Roten-Teufel (red devils) of FC Kaiserslautern. Down 2-0 at the half to TuS Koblenz (who scored on 2 of their 3 looks at goal), the K-town crew storm back and now lead 4-3 with minutes to go. They scored 4 in succession and Koblenz have clawed back by a goal.

Big win for Josh Simpson and company in front of over 40,000 fans. Not a bad debut! I think that is Josh on the right side (centre fellow is Steffen Bohl who scored twice in the 2nd half).

bohl.gif

Kent O'Connor started and played 90 minutes in yesterday's 1-1 draw between 1860 Muenchen and SC Pfullendorf in the Regional League South.

No sign of Jonathan Bourgault with the senior team in St.Pauli's 1-1 draw with Kickers Emden. Borussia Moenchengladbach amateurs, with Blerim Rrustemi in central defence, drop a 3-1 decision to league leaders FC Union Berlin in the Regional League North.

With Victor Oppong anchoring the defence, SV Waldhof Mannheim grab a point against SC Villingen and are in 5th place in the Oberliga Baden Wuerttemburg.

Despite dropping a 3-1 decision to visitors SC Crailsheim, Bahlinger SC with Canuck Robert Kerek are in first place pending SC Freiburg amateurs game tomorrow (can't find a game report).

Maycoll Canizales replaces a striker in the 65th minute as FC Oberneuland hold onto a 1-0 win over ASV Bergedorf in the Oberliga Nord.

No report yet on FC St. Pauli's 3-0 in the same league.

Sub Baumgartner gets his first goal in 5 years to give Cottbus the tie and prevent Der Club from taking over first place in the Bundesliga.

Good result for Bochum as well as they get their first win, 2-1 over Arminia Bielefeld.

Jonathan Bourgault saw 90 minutes in midfield yesterday in the win for FC St. Pauli II.

No sign of Ryan Thomson for Tennis Borussia Berlin yesterday in the Oberliga Nordost Nord.

Good ratings for McKenna yesterday as Cottbus continue to be a surprise team this season (Nurnberg would be THE surprise to date).

Imhof did not fare so well.

Respectable ratings for Josh Simpson in his first start.

Archived