Brennan signs with Toronto FC

RS

Good question. Another: How soon would the TFC team be able to start getting together for practices. We are less than a year away from their first season. Seems a long time for Brennan to be without work.

Who else will join the Canadian homecoming?

Radzinski? Pozniak? Reda? Imhoff? Grande? Lars? Gerba? Occean? DeRo? Serioux? Jazic? Hainault? Bernier?

Totally doubtful:

Hume, Friend, Hutch, Edgar, Ledgerwood, DeGuzmans X 2, Peters, Will Johnson, McKenna, Simpson (??)

Maybe Poz, Reda, Grande, and Gerba will come back. Everyone else has too big an upside to even think about leaving europe. Maybe deRo, Serioux, Jazic, Braz, Gervais, and Sutton will round out the Canadian contingent.

Gerba deRo

Brennan Grande Serioux Pozniak

Jazic Gervais Reda Braz

Sutton

i think this team could win the MLS cup.

Let's not forget to add a couple Americans (word is out they can play soccer too) and a decent central american or two. Maybe a Slavic player. I certainly hope the team looks diverse on the field and isn't just a squad of white, English Canadians (although Gerry would have an easier job if it was). With the right tinkering you could build not only a great, dynmic squad , but also a very diverse fan base that could be the start of a very long love affair in Toronto.

I can't see what MLSE would want with a Central American player filling up one of the three foreign spots - there's no market for such a player in Toronto. Possibly a high profile Carribbean, but even then most people of Jamaican and T&T ethnicity in the city can barely name a player on either team.

I expect MLSE to get a Greek, Italian & Portugese player for the foreign spots, if they can.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I can't see what MLSE would want with a Central American player filling up one of the three foreign spots - there's no market for such a player in Toronto. Possibly a high profile Carribbean, but even then most people of Jamaican and T&T ethnicity in the city can barely name a player on either team.

I expect MLSE to get a Greek, Italian & Portugese player for the foreign spots, if they can.

What about Dwight York? He had a good WC. After all he is playing in Sydney, TFC got to be a step up from playing down under. Plus its a lot closer to home for him.

you can be certain the starting line-up will not be 100% canuck. nor should it be! let's get some americans, and europeans.

my biggest concern is player development. is TFC going to be working closely with the NTC's in the region/country? will TFC have a PDL, and reserve team? when asking these i am thinking specifically of players such as kennedy owusuh-ansah (sp?).

I find this a poor career move for Jim Brennan, not because it's MLS, but because he's going to be out of football for a long time while he waits for this to happen. That being said, I hope he does good things to TFC.

Furthermore, let's not forget the fact that MLSE is running this team as a business, and not on behalf of the MNT. They will play the best side that they can, whether or not they are Canadian. I wouldn't be suprised at all to see few MNT players on the pitch for the first season.

Guest Jeffery S.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that we will be drawing a good number of players who are not protected by their clubs and we see fit to pick up. Many of those will be Americans, but some could be Central American, other.

If Houston protects their Canucks and LA theirs too I see no reason to expect every Canadian in MLS to end up at TFC. TFC has not extra or privileged right to current Canadians in the MLS. Which is why those in 2nd and third tier European leagues and the better ones in USL are the likely core of the Canadian contingent.

Also want to say that since many will be in the national team mix, and MLS does not respect FIFA dates and needs for training camps, it would be potentially negative for the club to have the squad for stocked with 10 national team players who could all disappear for national duty.

Yes, and I think if we had Canadians playing all over the MLS as well as a good core with Toronto FC we'd be maximizing our use of this league. Truth of the matter is that we need more MLS teams in Canada, but until that happens it is entirely beneficial to have our lads playing all across the league.

Archived