Toronto FC

Guest irishwhisper

Guest irishwhisper

I'm delighted to of heard the news about Toronto FC being created and going into the MLS. I'm from Dublin and am a massive Shamrock Rovers fan and I'm moving to Toronto for a year next year so it'll be good to have a team to support while in Canada. Toronto will be my favourite MLS team now and I will be keeping an eye on who they sign and their results.

What sort of attendances are they expecting?? Will they fill their 20,000 seater ground?? Is their any Toronto FC fans forums online?? Hope Toronto will have some hardcore fans!!!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, Grenadiers or Rifles is way too bland and obvious. Yorkmen at least will have those 'damned yankees' wondering what the hell we're talking about and has a very clear historic relevance ;)

Also, remember the target demographic in the Toronto region. Your suggestions, especially as illustrated, might have some understandably negative connotations for some folks.

Guest irishwhisper
quote:Originally posted by Steve B

The ownership is hoping for the 13 to 15k range.

Check out the USector http://s15.invisionfree.com/U_Sector/index.php? for a forum and supporters group.

Thanks for that. 15,000 would be a good attendance especially for a team just starting off. I look forward to going to their matches anyway. Would be good for a Canadian team to do well in the MLS.

I'd probaly agree with the Yorkmen nickname if I knew what the Yorkmen were!!

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I have a suggestion for a nickname for Toronto FC, better than the boring TFC.

Let's call them the Yorkmen.

A lot of "nicknames" were discussed in these forums when the team was first announced. I was a fan of using the nickname "Yorkies"...shorter, catchier and has few different conontations.

Nah, Grenadiers or Rifles is way too bland and obvious. Yorkmen at least will have those 'damned yankees' wondering what the hell we're talking about and has a very clear historic relevance ;)

Also, remember the target demographic in the Toronto region. Your suggestions, especially as illustrated, might have some understandably negative connotations for some folks.

I would something that is strong without being cheesie. Yorkman is just too dull a sounding name for me to be interested in.

db

For Irishwhisper: York and its namesake Fort York were established in 1793 by John Graves Simcoe, Governor of Upper Canada (now the province of Ontario), on the site of an existing settlement named Toronto. He believed it would be a superior location for the capital of Upper Canada, which was then at Newark (now Niagara-on-the-Lake), as the new site would be less vulnerable to attack by the Americans. He renamed the location York after Frederick, Duke of York, George III's second son. York was still attacked by American forces during the War of 1812, pillaged, and partially burned down on April 27, 1813. York became the capital of Upper Canada on February 1, 1796. On March 6, 1834, York was incorporated as the City of Toronto. Old Fort York still exists as an important Canadian historical site and is home to Canada's largest collection of original War of 1812 buildings.

Guest irishwhisper

For Irishwhisper: York and its namesake Fort York were established in 1793 by John Graves Simcoe, Governor of Upper Canada (now the province of Ontario), on the site of an existing settlement named Toronto. He believed it would be a superior location for the capital of Upper Canada, which was then at Newark (now Niagara-on-the-Lake), as the new site would be less vulnerable to attack by the Americans. He renamed the location York after Frederick, Duke of York, George III's second son. York was still attacked by American forces during the War of 1812, pillaged, and partially burned down on April 27, 1813. York became the capital of Upper Canada on February 1, 1796. On March 6, 1834, York was incorporated as the City of Toronto. Old Fort York still exists as an important Canadian historical site and is home to Canada's largest collection of original War of 1812 buildings.

Cheers for that!!Ye well I think you're nickname should have something to do with Toronto so that makes The Yorkmen a good one. Its better than having something stupid like 'The Reds' or thoughtless crap like that.

Might have to take a trip to see York while in Toronto!!!

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I find Yorkmen the best nickname so far. Don't like Grenadiers, Rifles or Yorkies.

Yorkies is way to "doggie" sounding for me. I can hear that dog lady calling out "walkies!" whenever I hear the word Yorkies.

Yorkmen is just too obscure. Not even the majority of Torontonians would be able to figure that one out. It's not like "Yorkmen" is an actual historical term to the best of my knowledge.

Well maybe modern Torontonians could do with a bit of education about their city's history!

And no, Yorkmen is not a formal historic term but it sure has more relevance to the city of Toronto than Reds or Riflemen.

Certainly Yorkmen is far more meaningful than some other shallow, inane and meaningless made up nicknames I have seen suggested.

Four suggestions, none of which I'm completely in love with, but here goes:

1. The Dons. We actually have more claim to it than the MK Dons do, what with having the Don River and all.

2. The Smokies (or The Big Smoke).

3. The Hogs (for Hogtown).

4. The Red Rockets (or the Rockets). With Matt Bonner gone, the name is now available again.

Hate to change this subject,so anyway here is my name, the Tower.

Now about that media again,this morning an article by Jerkins, about the Rogers deal, writing,---- by that means Leafs,Raptors,,Marlies untill they move away and the soccer team untill it folds.

He does not even shows the name.This guy is very much against soccer and the Star allows him to shows his dislokes. Amazing he gets away with this.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Hate to change this subject,so anyway here is my name, the Tower.

Now about that media again,this morning an article by Jerkins, about the Rogers deal, writing,---- by that means Leafs,Raptors,,Marlies untill they move away and the soccer team untill it folds.

He does not even shows the name.This guy is very much against soccer and the Star allows him to shows his dislokes. Amazing he gets away with this.

Since every pro soccer team to ever call Toronto home has eventually folded, he might argue he is just writing the facts as he sees them! Besides, he rights a column, his opinion is an integral part of writing a column.

Hey the Lynx are still around,how do you explain that one.As you well know he has been using this tax angle to stop this team, as well as the stadium from being build.His hatred towards soccer is becoming legendary.

I really question his sanity or was he to much out of shape to play the game.I really don't know why he is so against soccer.

Archived