What If Voyageurs Demand the Southside for '07?

Can it be done? Strange that the ground defended by all the same supporters who turn out to Caps games is so readily conceeded at a FIFA event. Why?

Honestly, the only reason we didn't have a secured section away from those clowns was that nobody is going to take those drums and split somebody's skull open. Doesn't seem right that the undisputed supporter group should be denied their natural habitat simply because they're well behaved.

I guess it's hard to predict what the '07 set up will look like, but why shouldn't the 50-100 Canadian supporters who don't mind foul language be right behind the south goal?

If I'm not mistaken, this problem is the direct result of FIFA safety regulations.

I mean really - if they're confiscating Canadian flags from fans for being a foot too long, what are the odds they're going to let Vancouver's finest within spitting distance of the pitch?

Also a pain - why in god's name was there only ONE beer stand for the whole stadium? Caps games in the same venue have at least three!

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

Also a pain - why in god's name was there only ONE beer stand for the whole stadium?

[:0]

Shameful. Absolutely shameful.

If there is light at the end of the tunnel it's that Swangards days are rapidly drawing to an end.

NewEx will be up and running by next summer so what ever time Swangard has before Kerfoot's Waterfront Stadium is up and going, it will be spent watching all of Canada's matchs being played in Toronto's nice shiny, new, National Stadium.

Which is just fine by me. Tired of watching Canada loose at Swangard.

I'm not sure we'll need a Voyageurs section at Swangard. I plan on following Canadas games. The games at Swangard will be something like Germany v Mexico.

Having said that,I have yet to see a plan that will show the Swangard set up for this event. I remember Bob Lenarduzzi saying that if the new Stadium was not going to get done in time then Swangard will be done up right so that we all can be proud of it. I also remember that FIFA required a minimum of 14,000 seat capacity for each venue. That means they'll have no choice but to put south bleachers in similar to what they had for U.S. v Canada in 1997 WCQ. I'm not sure that I'd be proud of temporary bleachers.

At the risk of sounding like Lou Dobbs, I felt we were totally *overrun* by the Brasilians and their CSA paid for drums. If there's a Canada game in Vancouver in '07 or more friendlies it would be nice to have an area behind goal, close to the pitch. I wonder if it's FIFA or just some dumb rationale by the CSA.

IIRC, there was an article in Business In Vancouver that quoted Whitecaps pres John Rocha as saying that in 2007 the existing eastside bleachers at Swangard would be temporarily replaced with a much larger and taller bleacher section approx the same capacity as the existing westside grandstand.

While that may sound too massive for a temporary structure, remember that temporary bleacher stands of the same magnitude are used at Molson Indy events all the time.

Guest speedmonk42

We do not know if those were CSA paid for drums/music. Lets not make a myth out of that until we know the facts. I would be suprised if they did.

Then we need to create an alternative.

Canba anyone?

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

We do not know if those were CSA paid for drums/music. Lets not make a myth out of that until we know the facts. I would be suprised if they did.

At the very least, the CSA approved it. These people didn't just walk in and perform... they were either hired by the CSA, or were given permission to do their thing.

I am god damn tired of being a visitor in my home park.

I wonder if the CSA has ANY plans at all to do something to bolster fan support for our lads in 2007,wherever they may play. I highly doubt it. I hope they are not making the mistake in thinking the support our U-19 girls received in Edmonton will be easily replicated for our U-20 lads. The fan base for men's soccer is very different than women's, and unless somebody does something creative and proactive for 2007, we can expect to be overrun by the oppositions' fans everywhere we go. [the only team that might not outdraw us in terms of fanbase might be the US, and I cannot see them drawn into our pool].

For the future, since I doubt the CSA will do much, I think the only thing we CAN do is buy big blocks of seats and then sell the tickets to Canadian fans. We could buy several hundred on the Southside. But how do we find Canadian fans? Most seem to want to sit in the Grandstand anyways. If we has large blocks of Canadian fans--and we led them in song and chant--then I think we'd feel cohesive in our efforts.

I wish the CSA would take the lead on this. They are the ruling body and have all the power.

You know what though? Why the hell should we as a group have to undertake serious financial jeopardy to seat Canadians together when stadiums around the world have been perfectly able to designate supporters sections for decades?

How hard can this really be for the CSA & Ticketmaster to accomplish? I mean, ticket agents have just ONE question to ask: Home section, Visitor section or general?

Here here, Monster!! Nazz nearly took a bath a couple times for the guys, and I'm sure he's not alone across the country...what a load of crap that decent guys like that have to bend over backwards to help cheer on the home team....Utter garbage!!

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

You know what though? Why the hell should we as a group have to undertake serious financial jeopardy to seat Canadians together when stadiums around the world have been perfectly able to designate supporters sections for decades?

How hard can this really be for the CSA & Ticketmaster to accomplish? I mean, ticket agents have just ONE question to ask: Home section, Visitor section or general?

Hey, I fully agree! Does anybody have some inkling as to why the CSA has not done this to date? Or is Ticketmaster the problem? And, will the new stadium in Vancouver provide a solution to this issue? I mean, Kerfoot's people will have some marketing savvy, right? Yeah, it seems perfectly outrageous that we'd have to take the financial risk of securing a Canadian section at a Canadian stadium to watch Canada play. It will be bloody embarrassing [and slap in the face to our lads] if we are overrun by the oppositions' fans in 2007. I feel for our players.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Hey, I fully agree! Does anybody have some inkling as to why the CSA has not done this to date? Or is Ticketmaster the problem? And, will the new stadium in Vancouver provide a solution to this issue? I mean, Kerfoot's people will have some marketing savvy, right? Yeah, it seems perfectly outrageous that we'd have to take the financial risk of securing a Canadian section at a Canadian stadium to watch Canada play. It will be bloody embarrassing [and slap in the face to our lads] if we are overrun by the oppositions' fans in 2007. I feel for our players.

¡Having an "inkling" as to why the CSA does anything may be the first sign of insanity!

I have tried to organize Supporter sections in Commonwealth for a couple of National teams matches with the ASA and CSA, and have made various suggestions as to having sections for different supporters (pointing out that this is the norm in 99% of countries), and have received responses ranging from too complicated to arrange, to FIFA-CONCACAF no like, to we Canadians do not want to do anything perceived as underhanded. :(

Ticketmaster may be running interference, but I am sure they could arrange it with a little tweaking if CSA insisted.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Yeah, it seems perfectly outrageous that we'd have to take the financial risk of securing a Canadian section at a Canadian stadium to watch Canada play.

I'm not sure how it will be in other cities, but in Toronto the majority of the Canadian supporters have already placed their season ticket deposit for Toronto FC, which, according to the team's website, guarantees us first choice of WYC tickets before the general public.

Considering that a large number of us will be choosing to sit/stand together (probably in our regular area behind on of the goals), this at least guarantees a Canadian section for one match. Obviously we'd welcome more Canadian fans from across the country into this section, as we'd want as large and vocal a group as we can create.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I'm not sure how it will be in other cities, but in Toronto the majority of the Canadian supporters have already placed their season ticket deposit for Toronto FC, which, according to the team's website, guarantees us first choice of WYC tickets before the general public.

Considering that a large number of us will be choosing to sit/stand together (probably in our regular area behind on of the goals), this at least guarantees a Canadian section for one match. Obviously we'd welcome more Canadian fans from across the country into this section, as we'd want as large and vocal a group as we can create.

If I don't sit in this section and not a Canadian? I mean if I have first choice of tickets, I want the best view, not that one behind the net. 50 yard line half way up.

I'm just curious here. Have they announced that Canada's Home games next year are going to be in Toronto? I was under the impression that they were going to be in Edmonton with the bigger stadium. Can anyone direct me to any articles that say otherwise? Thanks in advance.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

If I don't sit in this section and not a Canadian? I mean if I have first choice of tickets, I want the best view, not that one behind the net. 50 yard line half way up.

The Beaver's post was regarding a Canadian section.

I was telling him about the one that we are planning to have in Toronto. No one is obligated to be a part of it.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

I'm just curious here. Have they announced that Canada's Home games next year are going to be in Toronto? I was under the impression that they were going to be in Edmonton with the bigger stadium. Can anyone direct me to any articles that say otherwise? Thanks in advance.

The first Canadian game is going to be played on Canada Day in Toronto. The other matches are currently up in the air.

There have been many articles mentioning this, I'm just too lazy to look them up right now.

We did have section "Q". Getting a section is not really the issue I was trying to raise. The issue is getting the right section, the one we want where we have a home field advantage. If the Southside was set up as per Whitecaps games, there would be a defined Canada section which the players could identify, where there would be no Brasilian or drums.

If I may, I'd like to make a suggestion.

We should contact a CSA sponsor (CIBC, Telus, Adidas, Sony) and suggest

that they sponsor (minimal cost) a large section for CANADIAN fans.

They they can add their name to the Voyageurs section. They will NOT

be paying our tickets to the section, but by doing so we can be

assured that a section will be reserved for Canadian fans.

All they (the sponsor) will have to do is use their clout and section

off a part of the stadium for us. Imagine a Sportsnet-Voyageur

section or a Sony-Voyageurs Canadian Supporters section. We can make

all the noise we want, as we get a major sponsor to back us up!

This would also add some legitimacy to us as supporters of the MNT.

This is just a suggestion as asking the CSA is like asking a bunch

of volunteers who, as in the past, appear clueless.

Why should Canadians be surrounded by Guatemalans, Hondurans, or

Mexicans in a game played in Canada? Why should our players have

to be subjected to intimidation in their own house?

Yes, an excellent idea and the sort of thinking that will be required to get the result we want: strong support for our teams at home. Mind you, a corporate sponsor may be reluctant to get involved with us if they perceive our behavior as not suitable. This is something we'll have to consider: Are we willing to sacrifice the freedom to hurl invective and chant permissively to secure the sort of seating arrangement a sponsor may be able to provide? Or maybe it wouldn't be an issue.

Sorry, what does the sponsor get from their association with us? Would we have to wear CIBC shirts?

Archived