Toronto FC: Which Canadians will play for them?

Timotas

Haven't really read through the entire Toronto FC thread, just scanned really. So I don't know if this has been discussed.

So... will players like DeRo and Serioux come and play for Toronto? It's good to hear that Brennan is interested in joining the team. Who else will be interested in coming along?

It seems that Radzinski's career in England is slowly starting to fade. Will he come and play in a year or two? Will Greg Sutton leave the Impact to play in the MLS again? Will Josh Simpson come back or stay in England?

Other names that could be considered... Peschisolido, De Vos, Marco Reda, Kojic, Pozniak, Budalic, Hastings?, Ali Gerba maybe in a few years if his European dream comes to a stand still, Ante Jazic is a definite possibility. What if Peters doesn't live up to expectations next year or the year after that? Will he come back to Toronto and play in the MLS? The list can go on.

What do you all think?

quote:Originally posted by red citizen

Here's the starting eleven, per first manager, Frank Yallop:

Stama

Jazic

Reda

Braz

Pozniak

Brennan

Serioux

Grande

DeRosario

Pesch

Gerba

Not one decent Euro first division player in the group. Could that line-up beat the Impact?

I doubt it.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Not one decent Euro first division player in the group. Could that line-up beat the Impact?

I doubt it.

Where's Jeffrey S. to jump all over the above post due to the disrespect it shows towards Canadian players?

Oh, it was posted by G-Man, so it's alright.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Where's Jeffrey S. to jump all over the above post due to the disrespect it shows towards Canadian players?

Oh, it was posted by G-Man, so it's alright.

You know...the high and almighty types here get all panty-bunched when the trolls even fart and then quite often just turn around and bait and disrespect at the drop of the slightest hint of controversy themselves. Feeling bored during this post-season, pre-WC gap, Rudi?

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Feeling bored during this post-season, pre-WC gap, Rudi?

Actually, I am. Are you volunteering to entertain me?

As for me 'baiting and disrespecting', you must have missed the thread where Jeffrey S. called me pathetic and questioned my patriotism.

Getting back to G-Man's ridiculous assertion that red citizen's roster isn't good enough to beat the Impact, to that I counter with that rc's lineup, with some good reserves in place, is good enough to win MLS Cup.

There is no way Toronto FC will be that good out of the gate (a top 5 MLS player in De Ro, an English Championship vet in Brennan, etc.), but I think Jazic, Brennan, Reda and Gerba are realistic players for the first season.

As much as I'd love to see De Ro on Toronto's roster, I'd prefer to leave the three Houston Dynamo Canadians where they are, thus opening up more spots for other young Canadians to play in MLS.

In goal, I would like to see Sutton, it would be good for him and our MNT if he plays in the MLS. We could also have a place for a back up or third keeper available for a young canadian keeper (Karim, Olivieri, Begovic) or a place for Onstad as a veteran back up to help the young guys (not a #1)

It would be nice to get Serioux and DeRo for that team. Jim Brennan would be a nice addition too and let's hope he'll find something in the CCC this year.

I would like to see Jazic too.

From the Impact, apart from Sutton I think Braz is very capable of playing at that level, it will be good for his development. Gervais is also a good option but I think he'll stay in MTL since he's already working for Saputo but he might be interested by taking a year off to give a chance to the MLS.

Grande, Reda and Gerba are all good candidates but it depends on how they do this year in Europe.

Also, I think they're is place for young canadians players involve in the current U-20 program.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

As much as I'd love to see De Ro on Toronto's roster, I'd prefer to leave the three Houston Dynamo Canadians where they are, thus opening up more spots for other young Canadians to play in MLS.

I agree with this on a canadian MNT point of view, but I think guys like Serioux and DeRo (especially DeRo) could help sell this team to the Toronto public (I guess I'm opening the door for a G-Man response here....).

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I agree with this on a canadian MNT point of view, but I think guys like Serioux and DeRo (especially DeRo) could help sell this team to the Toronto public (I guess I'm opening the door for a G-Man response here....).

Don't get me wrong, as a supporter of Toronto FC I'd love nothing more than to see one of MLS' most dynamic players back in his hometown, and I think MLSE would love the prospect of a local star at the forefront of their team.

I just think that the people of Houston do not deserve to have their best player ripped away from them based solely on Toronto's geography. That being said, if Dwayne wants to come to Toronto, than it's fair game.

If Dero does come back to Toronto, it'll show what a bush league the MLS is. Why would Houston simply give him up? Or do they even have say in it? Does the MLS HQ have that much say in who plays where? What if Toronto signs a young yank and in time becomes a MVP type. Does he get stolen from Toronto and packed off to the nearest MLS team to his hometown?

And what kind of moron would want to watch the MNT dressed as Edmonton FC? I mean MLSE FC. Wouldn't you want a better team to plunk down 400 bills per seat to see?

And that by no means is a slag at our MNT. Would you rather watch Real Madrid, Arsenal, Man U, or Scotland, Belgium or Wales?

Top club soccer is much better than the WC. And name me one other country besides the former East Germany that used a single club team as it's national team? Talent doesn't need to play and train together year round to win at the international level. And the best way to develop tallent is having our best playing in Europe for various clubs, not all playing against Kansas City.

As for my orginal post please point out any of those players who are currently playing in the top 10 leagues in the World? A couple of those players aren't even on any pro teams books? If Brennan was such a hot property, he'd have already signed for an MLS team or at least a non-league side.

But 12 passed on him....same for Jasic...

Grande, Reda and Gerba are all good candidates but it depends on how they do this year in Europe.

Grande and Gerba (and Hutchison or Occéan for that matter) still have aspirations of playing in a bigger euro league, don't they? The Norwegain, Swedish and Danish top leagues all pay a little more than MLS and provide a better opportunity for being noticed by a team from one of the bigger leagues (EPL, Italy, Spain, Germany, Netherlands). I imagine there will still be a steady stream of Canadians and Yanks heading for northern Europe for just that reason.

Reda may be starting to think of coming home, though. They would miss him in Sogndal, but he would certainly do well in MLS.

quote:Originally posted by Start fan in exile

Grande and Gerba (and Hutchison or Occéan for that matter) still have aspirations of playing in a bigger euro league, don't they? The Norwegain, Swedish and Danish top leagues all pay a little more than MLS and provide a better opportunity for being noticed by a team from one of the bigger leagues (EPL, Italy, Spain, Germany, Netherlands). I imagine there will still be a steady stream of Canadians and Yanks heading for northern Europe for just that reason.

Reda may be starting to think of coming home, though. They would miss him in Sogndal, but he would certainly do well in MLS.

I'm well aware that Grande and Gerba are hoping to jump to a better league but I was saying this in the case where both continues to struggle with their playing time at their club. I think it's more likely in the case of Grande since he's 5 yrs older than Gerba.

I'm well aware that Grande and Gerba are hoping to jump to a better league but I was saying this in the case where both continues to struggle with their playing time at their club. I think it's more likely in the case of Grande since he's 5 yrs older than Gerba.

You're probably right. I would guess with Grande it will depend on how Molde do in the UEFA cup this fall, and how well he does with them. If he has a good fall, I would expect him to stay in Norway for another year or two.

As for Gerba, he needs to get away from Arne Erlandsen and his direct long-ball tactics. When he coached Lillestrøm they were by far the most boring team around...

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Top club soccer is much better than the WC. And name me one other country besides the former East Germany that used a single club team as it's national team?

I don't recall anyone associated with the team saying that this will be Canada's national side dressed in Toronto jerseys.

Please stop making things up.

quote:As for my orginal post please point out any of those players who are currently playing in the top 10 leagues in the World? A couple of those players aren't even on any pro teams books? If Brennan was such a hot property, he'd have already signed for an MLS team or at least a non-league side.

But 12 passed on him....same for Jasic...

When did Brennan declare his availability for MLS teams?

And Jazic was a victim of the incredibly poor staff (Mo Johnstone et al) that they have running the soccer team over at Red Bull New York. They could surely use him now, as Red Bull are among the worst teams in the league. Either way, he wasn't passed on by any other team, since he only trained with Red Bull and no one else. As a point of comparison, RBNY traded Serioux away too, and he's doing well on probably the best side in MLS right now.

As for your original 'point' (it's a stretch to call it that), you claimed that red citizen's roster could not beat the Impact. Now you're saying that they're not at clubs in top 10 leagues. High praise for the Impact, that they'd only be beaten by teams in the top 10 leagues. I didn't realize the Impact ranked among the Barcelonas and AC Milans of the world.

quote:Originally posted by Start fan in exile

I can definitely see Reda anchoring our backline next season.

Come home, Marco!

Guest speedmonk42

How about the U20 team.

Good practice for the Cup....

I wonder how they would do.

;););)

3 just to be sure.

RC's list might work. Might even make salary cap.

So sit back, the world according to Cheeta. More as an exercise in what might play into a players decision on returning to NA than anything.

Not going to see Pesch. Not a chance. He's old, overstayed his welcome in pro-footie and settled nicely in England with his English wife and English kids in their well to do English suburban home keeping a lovely English garden I'm sure. Daddy will not be jetting off to prick around in NA trying to hold onto his youth. He's had 20 years of it and that's quite enough now. Time to raise a family. And I'm guessing it'll be in England.

Braz & Jazic, sure. But for different reasons. Would be a step up for Braz, professionaly and financialy and Jazic is winding down the career. He's made enough to settle down nicely, has a few good years left in him and being Canadian, will get a better paycheck than many Americans in MLS so I think his ego should be able to live with any reasonable offer. Supply and demand for quality personel.

Brennan, Grande and DDR maybe. DDR will get moved if he makes the request I'm going to guess. Brennan, much as Jazic has by this point made enough pounds over the last decade that unless he's blown them right up his nose could retire very comfortably in Canada so he could wash his hands of England if he likes, provided he isn't offered an insulting wage. And Grande's European adventure may have gotten to the point where it's soured too much and he's ready to call it a day.

Same for Reda, Pozniak and Gerba. Might have had enough of Norway/Sweden by next year and be looking for fresh scenery. Unless things are looking like they're moving forward MLS may have some at least temporary appeal and they could all demand decent wages. Might be hard for them to give up the football culture, even in small town Norway, to disappear into the NA "soccer" landscape.

Was going to mention that at the very least one thing MLS does bring is another barganing position for some of our 2nd level fellows over seas. Any time there is another employment option for a player their barganing position improves, professionaly and financialy. For a fellow like Rhian Dodds who's hanging around the edges just the reaslistic threat of moving on is sometimes enough to change the gaffers view of you. For the better of course.

Expecting a wide mix of players on the squad. Journeymen, youths and 2nd level fellows all over the place. And with a bit of luck it'll work. Hate to say it, but you can't help but suspect that Toronto has only got one chance to get this right. Next year is not an option.

Josh Simpson might be a candidate for the team, especially if VISA issues hinder a return to England.

It might be interesting to see how Tony Menezes has aged, since we last saw him. If he produces well for the Lynx this summer, he may still have a contribution to offer an expansion club.

Tyler Roselund might be a good draft possibility.

quote:Originally posted by David C.

Josh Simpson might be a candidate for the team, especially if VISA issues hinder a return to England.

It might be interesting to see how Tony Menezes has aged, since we last saw him. If he produces well for the Lynx this summer, he may still have a contribution to offer an expansion club.

Tyler Roselund might be a good draft possibility.

Good point about Roselund. A definite candidate of getting drafted.

Adding to Cheeta's point on Peschisolido, you can definitely count him out of a return to play for Toronto. He's already stated his desire to stay in England with Karen Brady and his kids. I believe Pesch now has business interests in England too. Seeing as he's had a bit of a taste of coaching this season, I reckon he may well hang up the boots soon and concentrate on that side of the game.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by nolando

You know...the high and almighty types here get all panty-bunched when the trolls even fart and then quite often just turn around and bait and disrespect at the drop of the slightest hint of controversy themselves. Feeling bored during this post-season, pre-WC gap, Rudi?

Thanks nolando, but he will never admit that slagging another Voyaguer on a thread where that fellow fan has not posted is 100% baiting. He of course should be at least warned for it, if not banned. He is not the only one lately, Grizzly did it on a completely unrelated thread on the new English national team coach. He can't accept that I would be much better for the England job than that crappy, poor-complexioned coach of Middlesborough whose only contribution to the current WC side is a player who broke the record for most fouls in an UEFA Cup final.

Deep down I think they both think I am cute, it is a way of getting attention. But I am playing coy. I am referring of course, by both, to the FA and to Downing.

The MLS team will hire the three best Lynx players this season, draft two or three top Canadian NCAA players, and grab whichever Canadian abroad shouts loudly enough or seduces them more successfully. Or maybe two of them. The rest will come from MLS waivered players still on contract, as the single entity will require it. Except for one supposed star from another country. Could they convince someone like Martin Palermo, or Shearer, or even Maldini?

Sorry to be a bit cynical, but I don't have much faith in how any coach will evaluate Canadian talent. We need the solid veterans who can no longer get that better salary in Europe -Jazic, would it be, or Pozniak?-combining with some guys in lower division deserving a step up. Here I agree Braz could handle it. Also agree that Sutton could easily make the move.

Agree too that as long as a player is moving up in Europe and hoping for a transfer to a better league there is no sense in going to TO, the money cannot rival what is paid even in a modest league, nor the prestige of maybe playing in a UEFA Cup match. You only go back to Canada before it is time because you are out of contract and can't stay away, or just as well for personal reasons, and only then if your wife you met in Switzerland or Norway lets you, and if you are not too worried about lower salaries, but maybe want to reconnect your kids with your homeland, that kind of stuff.

Archived