Josh Simpson

nolando

There has been a lot of scattered speculation about what will happen with Josh. Thought it might be interesting to try and imagine where he will be by the end of the year. Personally I think he has a lot of potential still for development (he's still in his early 20's right?) and adds a nice Hume-ish (fast, young, imaginative) spark to the MNT talent pool.

If he's not making Millwall, however, where does he go from here? I can still see a lot of clubs willing to pick him up on spec. Mid-table Scottish side? Scandinavia? MLS?

Millwall in League One might not be that bad of a place for him, assuming they get relegated. Simpson has been out with a knee injury for quite a while. It's hard to tell where he would fit into the plans if healthy. I wish Josh's brother would come on here and provide some details regarding the injury.

• 2 weeks later...

actually...looking at Millwall's shaight place in the table (currently 22nd out of 24th) maybe his best bet is to go down with them, be a star on a rebuilding squad, and go straight back up, drawing attention all the while...just a thought...at least until we hear from Josh's brother again...

• 3 weeks later...

Josh simpsons work permit seems to be hanging in the balance.

I'm 16 and i have managed for 10 years to make nearly every saturday home game. simpson is probably the most explosive natural left winger weve had, that ive seen. im eager to see if hes gunna get a permit or not. anyone know???

I highly doubt you'll see Josh back in the UK.

He is/was on a working-holidaymaker visa. This isn't renewable. And even if it was, they've amended the rules to exclude professional sports player (Simpson and Serioux took advantage of a brief loophole that was quickly closed soon afterwards), and now people on new working-holidaymaker visas can only work for 1 of the 2 years that the visa allows you to be in the UK.

As for a work permit, aren't the rules something along the lines that the player has played in 75%/80% of his country's competitive matches over the past year or so, and that the country is in the top 70 of the FIFA international rankings? No Canadians would qualify for new UK work permits under such conditions.

My guess is he'll end up somewhere with less strict regulations - perhaps Norway or Scandanavia.

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

As for a work permit, aren't the rules something along the lines that the player has played in 75%/80% of his country's competitive matches over the past year or so, and that the country is in the top 70 of the FIFA international rankings? No Canadians would qualify for new UK work permits under such conditions.

Yeah, those are roughly the rules as I understand them. There are ways around it as Ipswich had to go through a rigamarole to get Peters' work permit. This involved some sort of protest and tribunal jobby.

The rules may be different between renewing a work permit and applying for one, as I heard somewhere that for Josh to have had a chance at a work permit renewal he had to show that he was an integral part of Millwall. Unfortunately his injury didn't help that cause.

I agree, he's probably on his way out. Hopefully he can catch on somewhere.

You want a reply eh Nolando? ;)

Hey guys, long time no talk. Josh's knees have been giving him issues for the last few months.

I am unable to comment on what Josh will be up to next year (or where he will be). I don't know anything yet (don't bother squeezing, I honestly don't know anything, yet.).

Interesting rumour about Leeds. I'd heard that one floating around before. I saw an article on the web a few days ago with Josh saying that he's had knee ligament damage and so hasn't been able to play the second half of the season. He said he hopes to be playing for Millwall before the season's out, but that doesn't leave him very long at all (to say the least). Hope he stays in England as he looks a very good player.

Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by Sigma

It'd be nice if Josh could stay in England, but I don't think a move to Norway, Sweden would be too bad for his career.

Can. in UK - I had to delete your message because it quoted the portion of the message that I deleted from MillwallFC. I apologize.

Don't worry about it.

He needs first team Football, he's not getting it in Milwall.

Don't forget, local Elections in England tomorrow. Labour's fighting for their lives. I hope they get stuffed, considering the mess they've left NI in.

Blair and his master George Dubya have made a mess in NI. Iran has supposedly attacked Kurds in NI. Oil wells and pipelines are on fire, fundamentalist religous leaders are about to take over and 10's of thousands of civilians are dead. Shame on Blair. Send him, Bush and Rusmfield to the Hague.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

Blair and his master George Dubya have made a mess in NI. Iran has supposedly attacked Kurds in NI. Oil wells and pipelines are on fire, fundamentalist religous leaders are about to take over and 10's of thousands of civilians are dead. Shame on Blair. Send him, Bush and Rusmfield to the Hague.

Look on the bright side, at least gas prices are at an all time high while oil companies make record profits! :D

Archived