Serioux traded to Houston Dynamo

SamIAm

quote:Originally posted by Ryan Keay

I figure it probably means John O'Brien is signing for Red Bull New York

I don't think so. Since Serioux is a SI and O'Brien is in the the USNT player pool there are different rules regarding how they can be handle which I'm not going to go through on here.(for more info see bigsoccer) But Lalas has said that the team is looking at a SI forward, and Adrien was an international that they felt they could let go. JOB is staying in Cali, Chivas has first dibs with allocation, RBNY is like 11 or 12.

quote:Originally posted by SamIAm

I don't think so. Since Serioux is a SI and O'Brien is in the the USNT player pool there are different rules regarding how they can be handle which I'm not going to go through on here.(for more info see bigsoccer)

I think Ryan may be alluding to the fact that they may be clearing cap space for O'Brien (or someone else for that matter).

Just hope that Serioux & De Rosario get traded by Houston to Toronto after one season in Texas. Houston has 3 Canadians on their roster now.

Can't say I saw thing coming either, even with Mo Johnston's previously un-enthusiastic comments about Adrian upon signing.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Well, I didn't see that coming. According to Lalas, the club is going in a new direction, and evidently Serioux didn't fit into the plans.

Probably refused to drink red bull instead of water or get a red bull tatoo on his neck.

This is the new corporate MLS.

Watch for a big name Austrian league import to wow the soccer scene in NYC. His trade does open up an import spot. And yes having those 3 play together is a good thing.

But I can't see anyone giving up Dero, especially if it meant him going to another MLS team.

quote:Originally posted by sKriSh

Do they have unrestricted free agents in the MLS?

When players contracts expire, MLS teams retain their playing rights for two years, they are obviously free to sign with any other league in the world.

Strange they criticize Serioux when they signed him and now that they have traded him they are full of praise. It is also interesting that Serioux probably was interested in New York because it was near Toronto and his sick mother but will now be much further away.

ADDITION BY SUBTRACTION

Trading Serioux to Houston for O'Rourke sets up future moves for New York Red Bulls

March 24, 2006

Adrian Serioux (left) was dealt to Houston for Danny O'Rourke Friday afternoon.

Juan Miranda/Chivas USA

By Dylan Butler

BigAppleSoccer.com Associate Editor

The Red Bulls needed that imposing presense in the center of midfield the club was missing for the past few years. They appeared to have that in Adrian Serioux, a 6-foot rugged Canadian international.

But on Friday the team traded Serioux to the Houston Dynamo for Danny O’Rourke, a straight up swap of defensive midfielders.

“I got to know Danny as a person and as a player, so I was very comfortable pulling the trigger on this,” Red Bulls president and general manager Alexi Lalas said. “And there’s other advantages to this deal, bigger picture advantages.”

However, this move had more to do with what the Red Bulls can do in the future rather than what they do now with O’Rourke.

For one, they get back a coveted Senior International slot, which as of this morning were all used. The Red Bulls are also free to sign Ante Jazic, another Canadian international while Amado Guevara awaits his green card.

“He is, as they say in the crime shows, a person of interest,” Lalas said of Jazic.

And once that green card comes through, Lalas said “we are very close” to that happening, there is one more SI available; giving the Red Bulls another option in their seemingly never ending search for a striker.

“It’s a very long season and you want to have enough ammunition and as many options as possible as your disposal,” Lalas said. “This [trade] does that.”

The Red Bulls also save quite a bit of money in the deal, with Serioux reportedly signed for $120,000 per year while O'Rourke last year made $35,000.

Lalas is very familiar with O’Rourke, having selected the 2004 Hermann Award winner as the fourth overall pick in the 2005 MLS SuperDraft when he was the president/GM of the San Jose Earthquakes.

With Ricardo Clark as the Earthquakes main defensive midfielder last year, O’Rourke appeared in only 13 games last year after leading Indiana to back-to-back national championships in 2003 and 2004.

“The first thing you see right off the bat is his personality. He believes in himself, he’s got a great sense of humor and he’s an intelligent kid,” Lalas said. “He’s got a lot of bite. I like the fact he has a year under his belt, I think that’s very important.”

Serioux was signed by the Red Bulls March 1 after spending the last two years with Millwall of England’s Second Division. He made his international debut in a World Cup qualifier against Guatemala Aug. 4, 2004 and has eight caps for Canada.

“This deal has nothing to do with us thinking that Adrian is not a quality player, it’s quite the contrary,” Lalas said. “I think we said in the past that if we’re able to do a deal that enables us to become stronger, we’re going to do it. And I think that not only for the short term but I think more for the longer term, this deal helps us become a stronger team.”

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Strange they criticize Serioux when they signed him and now that they have traded him they are full of praise. It is also interesting that Serioux probably was interested in New York because it was near Toronto and his sick mother but will now be much further away.

True, but not as far away as he was at Millwall. For the reasons you state though & others its not too difficult to believe that he will be back in Toronto next year.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Strange they criticize Serioux when they signed him and now that they have traded him they are full of praise.

One thing to note is that it was coach Mo Johnston that made those strange comments upon signing Adrian and these quotes of praise are coming from team president Alexi Lalas.

Either way, I don't this trade had anything to do with ability, and much more to do with the fact that they save money on the cap and open up another SI slot.

If they end up signing Jazic and a new striker because of this deal, then I think it would have been a positive one for all involved (aside from the fact that Adrian is further from home now, of course).

Watched the second half of the Houston NY game (thanks for the tip Rudi) and Serioux was played as a centre back and it seems like this is the position that Houston acquired him for as their midfield is solid. We used to get mad when clubs converted our players to defenders but this is exactly what we need right now. I could see Serioux being quite effective (he played well in this game) as a centre back and he is certainly quicker than the other candidates for this position in the MNT. The only worry I would have is his physical style of play. On the positive side forwards might have a bit of apprehension about entering the box but he might also be susceptible to giving up penalties especially with CONCACAF refs. DeRo was completely alone in front of the keeper near the end and missed the net just like he does with the MNT.

Serioux as a center back is an interesting idea. He used to play position as a junior and I think he started there with the Lynx. He is quick as well which is sorely needed in our back line. And he can obviously play the ball with his feet. If Houston plays him there, I am all for it. As in the middle we already have DeGuzman, Hutchinson, Imoff, Bernier, Grande, Brennan, Bircham, so there is plenty of depth there.

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

I reckon G-Man is right, look for an Austrian or two to be in NYC in the near future.

Wonder if RBNY will become a feeder team for that other Red Bull club in Austria...

Maybe Jazic is already the first (to tie two conspiracy theories together -in hopes of attracting some more of JeffREy S' high comedy)

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Maybe Jazic is already the first (to tie two conspiracy theories together -in hopes of attracting some more of JeffREy S' high comedy)

Had trouble with grade 11 English did you? Reading comprehension, it's tough, I know. Try again and see if you can adjust your post accordingly.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Please explain JeffREy.

It is not a conspiracy. It is a commercial relationship with soccer repercussions. Maybe with a cultural slant. Not necessarily of any particular benefit to the team. Like having a Mexican play for Chivas LA.

I don't say anything about conspiracies. The usenet dilletantes call my speculations conspiracies to discredit them. I want Canadian soccer to change for the better and look for normal, odd and sometimes excessive reasons for why it does not work. This bothers the guys who cry a lot when we lose but defend the status quo to the hilt in the meantime. A contradiction I'd say.

Let there be Austrians at Red Bull New York. Let Stronach buy an MLS team. Let his namesake cross the floor once again, cause she could use the exercise.

Archived