Rumour - Friend to Palace

An Observer

According to today's print edition of the Observer in the "Tales from the Tabs" section, Crystal Palace "fancy FC Molde's Canadian striker Rob Friend". Palace is a promotion candidate so might be a good move. However, they also have Clinton Morrison and Andy Johnson up front so not sure how much time he would get (assuming both of them stay).

There is plenty of room on any team for as many as four strikers. There are so many domestic games in England, that he would certainly get a game. After all, Morrison and Johnson cannot be expected to play in every single game. Any move to a top league is a good move for players with any ambition.

Like Luis, I subscribe to the "better a starter with a small club, than a bench-warmer with a large club" camp.

However, a move to Palace may be a wise choice for Friend.

As CSF argues above, Johnson is likely to leave if Palace aren't promoted. I don't necessarily agree that you have to play in the Prem to be called up for England - Sven's already said on numerous occasions that a player on great form in the Championship could easily be called up. The fact that Johnson's only scored 14 goals in all competitions this season hurts his chances more than anything else. However, Sven is almost guaranteed to leave in the summer, and the next England manager might not be so open to playing guys from the Championship, which could be extra incentive for both Johnson and Morrison to leave.

Morrison has always been itchy to play in the English top flight. He went from Palace to Birmingham and back to Palace in order to be in the Prem. You'd have to think he'd flirt with a move to Reading if Palace don't go up in May.

Johnson's much more loyal... but Sven will be leaving. On the flip side, while Johnson was a hot commodity one season ago, I doubt the Premiership clubs are all that interested in him any more. He seemed to have a one-off career season, much like Kevin Phillips did with Sunderland (and England), only to soon fizzle out.

I reckon at least one, if not both of these guys will attempt to leave if Palace don't go up, so this could be a good move for Friend.

In all honesty, it would be better for Friend to join Palace if they don't get promoted, then earn a reputation with the club while in the Championship, and get promoted with them with some cred. I highly doubt Friend would see much playing time if Palace go up - both Morrision and Johnson would stay, and tons of other strikers would be lining up to join the club.

Guest Jeffery S.

I think the real error by Friend has been to stay with Molde, regarless of what happens in this rumour regarding Palace.

The team flirted with relegation last year, he had offers to move up, but stayed after winning the cup, mostly for sentimental reasons. I don't hold this against him, it was noble on his part, but strictly in career terms it is better to be with a team that has more responsibility to win, that attacks more, that plays better, and to boot pays you more. In this sense Hutchinson has been totally unsentimental and has kept taking a step further. As did Lars going to Rosenborg from Tromso this past summer. Or Occean to LFK. Or Kenny to Tromso. You could even argue that Kenny's loyalty to Enkoping was not, in the end, that good for his career. You have to move up to improve, and I am not sure this will be such a benefitial year for Friend at Molde because of this.

Curiously enough, it seems the step up for Kenny or the rumour about Friend have more to do with their taking their chances with Canada and showing well than any particular brilliance at a club level.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Curiously enough, it seems the step up for Kenny or the rumour about Friend have more to do with their taking their chances with Canada and showing well than any particular brilliance at a club level.

That's what happened with Grande and Gerba last summer. It just shows that you get more visibility playing for your country than you get in lower leagues.

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Like Luis, I subscribe to the "better a starter with a small club, than a bench-warmer with a large club" camp.

I subscribe to the opposite philosophy (ie.: The "C" student from Harvard gets better jobs than the "A" students from Ryerson). I would make an exception for Goal keepers though. In which case I agree with your philosophy.

If Julian deGuzman had taken that advice and taken up that offer from that D2 club rather than the offer from Hannover, he would probably be still playing in D2. If a top division side wants you, it because your a good player.

I think the real error by Friend has been to stay with Molde, regarless of what happens in this rumour regarding Palace.

The team flirted with relegation last year, he had offers to move up, but stayed after winning the cup, mostly for sentimental reasons.

Exactly what offer's did Friend pass up ? I don't recall any concrete offers on the table ? Valerenga came sniffing months ago, but apparently did not want to meet Molde's transfer demands.

I think Molde gave Friend a significant pay raise after the Cup victory, which probably had more to do with his contract extension.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Exactly what offer's did Friend pass up ? I don't recall any concrete offers on the table ? Valerenga came sniffing months ago, but apparently did not want to meet Molde's transfer demands.

I think Molde gave Friend a significant pay raise after the Cup victory, which probably had more to do with his contract extension.

Friend came out directly saying that "now I have changed my mind and am not going to move", or something very close to that, when they won the Cup and he experienced the celebration in the town the team is based in. Also when he saw they stayed up in top flight. If he got a pay raise, great for him, but if he had said he was ready to transfer they would for sure have negotiated for a fee, as it is a team with slim chances to raise money in any other way, their financial and fan base is weak it does seem.

And I am sure someone would have gone for him, one of the teams pushing for a UEFA spot, as his goal scoring is strong and he is a relatively young pro.

If he has a decent year and the team is solid in mid-table in the summer transfer period, I bet he will be gone before season's end.

Friend came out directly saying that "now I have changed my mind and am not going to move", or something very close to that, when they won the Cup and he experienced the celebration in the town the team is based in. Also when he saw they stayed up in top flight.

And I am sure someone would have gone for him, one of the teams pushing for a UEFA spot, as his goal scoring is strong and he is a relatively young pro.

I wasn't looking for your liberal interpretation, just the facts.

As expected, you know of no such information.

Guest Jeffery S.

There were no firm offers, but of course they were still in season, he was still under contract, so he could not legally be contacted. He was rumoured to go to a much higher ranked club. There is no doubt he could have. But he did say that after winning the Cup he could not move, he owed it to the club to stay. So it seems that it is not wrong to say that he chose not to further any transfer rumours on the basis of the victory and a sentimental connection with the club.

Give us evidence he got a pay raise to stay, Fury, you have given no us no source on that, are we to understand that your comment is as liberally taken as mine? Or why don't you come right out and tell everyone why you know the facts and we dunces don't? But if you can't, and I appreciate it, at least you should not be lording it over us when we are trying to recall a five month old newpaper article by memory. I found it though, did a search.

"Molde has struggled at the bottom of the table the entire season; but Friend has still delivered the goods and shown himself to be one of Eliteseriens best strikers. Because of this he's also made a name for himself with other clubs. According to Aftenposten's information, Friend has been named as a possible replacement for Steffen Iversen of Vålerenga.

- I've heard rumours, but noone's contacted me. Regardless, I can't just leave Molde after what I've experienced this weekend. What I experienced on the stage at Rockefeller late Saturday night was indescribeable. The fan reception was unbelievable and I decided to stay. Next year I want to play in the Uefa Cup for Molde and no one else, said a satisfied Friend to Aftenposten after the 4-2 victory over Lillestrøm in the cup final."

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8215&SearchTerms=Friend+

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I subscribe to the opposite philosophy (ie.: The "C" student from Harvard gets better jobs than the "A" students from Ryerson). I would make an exception for Goal keepers though. In which case I agree with your philosophy.

Well, a BA from Harvard is better than a BA from Ryerson, but when you apply for graduate schools, those Cs from Harvard won't get you very far.

I've seen lots of young, promising players here in England greedily make the jump to big clubs too early in their careers, only to rot on the bench and end up in obscurity. I just hope that doesn't happen to any of our lads.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Well, a BA from Harvard is better than a BA from Ryerson, but when you apply for graduate schools, those Cs from Harvard won't get you very far.

I've seen lots of young, promising players here in England greedily make the jump to big clubs too early in their careers, only to rot on the bench and end up in obscurity. I just hope that doesn't happen to any of our lads.

But most people on this board thought it was very bright for Peters to opt for Ipswich over Chelsea or ManU youth with the reasoning that playing in CCC was better than learning as an 18 year old in a great club with great coaching, talented teammates, and the demand for excellence. I was sure they were wrong. And I think I was right. He would have been much better off in a learning mode, even though he would not have at all been assured a starting spot even on a reserve squad.

Also would like to think that even Dunfield would have been better off hanging in there at ManCity, even for another year. Because what he would have learnt there might be helping him to get a job now, while playing at Bury has certainly not given him a damn thing except, in the end, the ability to say he played at Bury.

But most people on this board thought it was very bright for Peters to opt for Ipswich over Chelsea or ManU youth with the reasoning that playing in CCC was better than learning as an 18 year old in a great club with great coaching, talented teammates, and the demand for excellence. I was sure they were wrong. And I think I was right. He would have been much better off in a learning mode, even though he would not have at all been assured a starting spot even on a reserve squad.

Also would like to think that even Dunfield would have been better off hanging in there at ManCity, even for another year. Because what he would have learnt there might be helping him to get a job now, while playing at Bury has certainly not given him a damn thing except, in the end, the ability to say he played at Bury.

On the flip side of the coin, Jon Macken was a tremendous young striker with heaps of talent, who played for Preston North End. In their first season back up in the First Division (2000-01), they managed to qualify for the playoffs, and were a whisker away from clinching promotion to the Premiership. They mananged to upset Birmingham City in the playoff semis, but were eventually beaten by Bolton, who remain in the top flight to this day.

PNE were ripped apart by vultures after their tremendous performance - manager David Moyes went to Everton, and among others, striker Jon Macken went to Manchester City - supposedly a tremendous opportunity (akin to Dunfield at Man City).

Macken sat on the bench for Man City until the middle of the current (2005-06) season. Only now has he finally given up, after almost five years of stubborn reluctance, and has made a move down to Crystal Palace in the Championship (yet more potential opposion for Friend if he moves to London).

It's not always best to go up. It depends on what sort of experience you'll get.

I agree that playing for Chelsea's academy is likely better than playing for Ipswich's first team, if you're still quite young. But it would have depended on how quickly Peters would have been fast-tracked into the professional squad.

There were no firm offers, but of course they were still in season, he was still under contract, so he could not legally be contacted. He was rumoured to go to a much higher ranked club. There is no doubt he could have. But he did say that after winning the Cup he could not move, he owed it to the club to stay. So it seems that it is not wrong to say that he chose not to further any transfer rumours on the basis of the victory and a sentimental connection with the club.

Give us evidence he got a pay raise to stay, Fury, you have given no us no source on that, are we to understand that your comment is as liberally taken as mine? Or why don't you come right out and tell everyone why you know the facts and we dunces don't? But if you can't, and I appreciate it, at least you should not be lording it over us when we are trying to recall a five month old newpaper article by memory. I found it though, did a search.

"Molde has struggled at the bottom of the table the entire season; but Friend has still delivered the goods and shown himself to be one of Eliteseriens best strikers. Because of this he's also made a name for himself with other clubs. According to Aftenposten's information, Friend has been named as a possible replacement for Steffen Iversen of Vålerenga.

- I've heard rumours, but noone's contacted me. Regardless, I can't just leave Molde after what I've experienced this weekend. What I experienced on the stage at Rockefeller late Saturday night was indescribeable. The fan reception was unbelievable and I decided to stay. Next year I want to play in the Uefa Cup for Molde and no one else, said a satisfied Friend to Aftenposten after the 4-2 victory over Lillestrøm in the cup final."

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8215&SearchTerms=Friend+

The article you refer too simply confirms what I said initially, that Valerenga were interested, but nothing serious came out of it: "I've heard rumours but, no one's contacted me."

Again you distort the facts by stating that "there is no doubt he could go to a higher ranked club...." He has just clearly stated that "he's heard nothing but rumours," but again you attempt to twist the facts to suit your arguement.

At no time did I refer to anyone as a 'dunce,' and this is simply further proof of your intention to blatantly distort the facts.

Nothing personal, but whether you believe me is not important. I have neither the time nor interest to convince you.

If my memory serves me right Dunfield was not offered a new contract at Man City and that is why he want to Bury. I think he reached an age where Man City no longer considered him a young talent with potential and they did not consider his form worthy of a spot on the first team. Obviously at Friend's age he needs to be playing on the first team of any club he joins. He would be better off playing for Molde than sitting on the bench for Palace. However, there are risks in every move and at some point a player has to take them to improve.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

The article you refer too simply confirms what I said initially, that Valerenga were interested, but nothing serious came out of it: "I've heard rumours but, no one's contacted me."

Again you distort the facts by stating that "there is no doubt he could go to a higher ranked club...." He has just clearly stated that "he's heard nothing but rumours," but again you attempt to twist the facts to suit your arguement.

At no time did I refer to anyone as a 'dunce,' and this is simply further proof of your intention to blatantly distort the facts.

Nothing personal, but whether you believe me is not important. I have neither the time nor interest to convince you.

He says nobody has contacted him and he has only heard rumours because it is illegal under FIFA regulations to directly contact a player from a club without his existing club's permission. Unless he would be out of contract within half a year think it is, which was not the case.

So it is a typical comment from a player, but it always means the same thing: there is interest, but I can't officially say anything.

But just saying that is often the negotiating point for either a club either looking to transfer if they need the money, or a player seeking a contract improvement. You said he got one, so indicate a source on this, or stop accusing people of making up facts to support arguments.

The thing is, you are showing you simply do not understand how the transfer market works. Where there is smoke there is fire. When Aftenposten says "According to Aftenposten's information, Friend has been named as a possible replacement for Steffen Iversen of Vålerenga", it is because the information is sufficiently reliable but they cannot name a source or say there has been contact between club and player as they know it would put both in a position of negotiating illegally. And it would also burn out their confidential sources in the clubs who ask them for journalistic discretion.

Add to this the fact that they were leading up to a Cup final and a promotion playoff, and of course noone is going to start distracting him from the task at hand with more direct transfer rumours in the midst of all that. Another reason for him to quash them once the Cup is won.

If Molde had not won the Cup and had no European play to offer Friend, or just as well if they had not stayed up in Eliteserien, the offers would have flowed in within 48 hours. And he would have transferred out within a month or two. Like we have seen this winter with Hutch, Kenny, Lars....

from skysports

Palace want Molde's friend

Championship club Crystal Palace are eyeing Molde FK striker Rob Friend.

The Canadian is out of contract at the end of the season and Palace are reported to be willing to pay €1 million (£700,000) for the player's services.

However, as yet no offer has been made to Molde and the club are still considering how much they want for the player.

"We are considering what is serious but we haven't heard anything from Crystal Palace," stated Molde director Tarje Nordstrand Jacobsen.

The player himself is trying to ignore the speculation but admits that he has a desire to play in one of Europe's top leagues.

"All I can do is play well and do my best for Molde," he told Romsdal Budstikke.

"But my goal has always been to join a big club in Europe."

If Palace stay in the Championship, I think this would be a great move.

If they are in the Prem, I'm not sure how much playing time Friend would get (probably not much). I hope he stays with a club (whether it be in or out of Norway) that will allow him to play and continue developing.

Even the Norwegian press is talking about it:

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=124307

Palace vil ha Friend

Crystal Palace har følere ute etter Molde-spiss Rob Friend.

Crystal Palace spiller i den engelske mesterskapsserien. Daily Mirror skriver at Palace ønsker seg den storvokste angriperen som makker til Andy Johnson. Klubben var til stedet da Molde spilte mot Malmö.

- Jeg kan ikke kommentere dette og kan ikke gjøre så mye annet enn å spille bra, sier Friend til Romsdals Budstikke.

Han legger imidlertid ikke skjul på målet hele tiden har vært å komme seg videre ut til en større klubb i Europa.

- Vi forholder oss til det som er konkret, og vi har ikke hørt noe, sier Molde-direktør Tarje Nordstrand Jacobsen.

© NTB 23.03.2006

Archived