March 1 Friendly - Austria v Canada POST-match [R]

DJT

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was told the it was Kevan Pipe who persuaded Frank Yallop to take on the coaching job for Canada!

I just noticed that they played in the Ernst Happel stadium, the guy who turned Dutch soccer around. comes around goes around.Hey I am talking around the fifties holy cow!

quote:Originally posted by canso

It all sounds good!

No visuals = no criticism.

Is Sportsnet in on the conspiracy?

I guess our guys are fighting to safe the Canadian team honour in Europe,which was tarnished a bit.I really hope it overshadows that thing a bit.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

I didn't see the match nor any highlights as yet, but from all the comments on the board, this one stood out:

Do you think that's the negative trade-off of playing with three men in midfield? Regardless, this was an excellent result. Great to see Reda have a solid game.

Yes I think this is the drawback in playing 4-3-3. When the Austrians were on the attack they were able to move through the midfield very quickly. We did outchance them throughout the game but they had their share of good chances. I think we can all remember quite a few games in the past where Canada played well but couldn't score and our opponents scored on their only chance. If we are going to play this tactic against more offensively gifted opposition than Austria (among which I would include most of our main CONCACAF rivals) we will have to have a fairly decent conversion rate from the strikers and our defence will have to absorb the pressure very well (at which they were surprisingly good yesterday). It is a bit worrying that despite playing with three strikers and the numerous chances they had that the goals were scored by a midfielder and a defender (although Brennan really deserves credit for this goal even if it did deflect off Reda). I would like to see us trying McKenna as a striker.

Guest Jeffery S.

I have not seen the whole match, but would agree in principle with Grizzly on the potential drawbacks of the 4-3-3, namely an overextended midfield that cannot often absorb the opponents mids, is outnumbered and ends up either missing them or merging into the back line to defend. This is why you need a few things to make it work.

First, one or two of the three attackers have to pressure the defenders moving the ball into the midfield so it is not received so comfortably there, while usually at least one, on either side, should be dropping back to defend an outside midfielder. Thus convert the 4-3-3 into an effective 4-4-2 when defending. This is more or less what De Rosario did vs. Spain, spending a lot of time close to the same line as the three mids so they could shift more into the middle of the field. Radz is not particularly dedicated to such defending, so it is not unusual to see his side of the field a bit weaker.

This is why I have been suggesting that if you had Julian in the lineup you could play him as one of the attackers on the right side, and have him drop back to defend. He has done quite well in this spot at Depor this year. Others perhaps could do the same: it would have to be a strong, fast and fit mid or even outside back, put into the front line of a 4-3-3 to make the lineup more defensive. But for this to work you are going to have to rely even more on your other two strikers to get the chances on the opposing team's goal.

In any case, I like the 4-3-3 and admit I am especially keyed into it since Rijkaard chose if for Barça two years ago. I know it is hard to compare, though what happens with the back line and the mids is quite similar in fact. The concept of the front line is different, but you still have to decide if you want your outside attackers to be pure wings or simply strikers working in from the outside (Barça's system normally, and interestingly enough how we are doing things with Yallop, turning in rather than searching for the end line and the cross), and it is still more effective to have a strong centre striker who can work alone, hold up until help comes, and score from what comes in from either side. This is clearly the piece we are missing in our 4-3-3, I actually think that neither Friend nor Gerba nor Occean are as talented in that spot -or ever will be- as either DeRo or Radz out on their sides of the attack. If anything, with the rest of the side shaping up it seems, this is right now our more glaring hole.

quote:Originally posted by matthew

Photo of the support! They look proud anyway :)

2006_03_01_Oesterreich_Canada_21.jpg

Great win. Very pleased with that. Still missing some good players, but I think we're proving that we have the depth and the familiarity with each other that other players can step in and fill a role. Also happy to see Friend have an impact.

cheers,

matthew

too bad there wasn't a ville d'anjou flag in that shot.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

In any case, I like the 4-3-3 and admit I am especially keyed into it since Rijkaard chose if for Barça two years ago. I know it is hard to compare, though what happens with the back line and the mids is quite similar in fact. The concept of the front line is different, but you still have to decide if you want your outside attackers to be pure wings or simply strikers working in from the outside (Barça's system normally, and interestingly enough how we are doing things with Yallop, turning in rather than searching for the end line and the cross), and it is still more effective to have a strong centre striker who can work alone, hold up until help comes, and score from what comes in from either side. This is clearly the piece we are missing in our 4-3-3, I actually think that neither Friend nor Gerba nor Occean are as talented in that spot -or ever will be- as either DeRo or Radz out on their sides of the attack. If anything, with the rest of the side shaping up it seems, this is right now our more glaring hole.

I agree that Friend and Gerba aren't suited for that spot, but I think that Occean could be. At least, I think he's our best option at that position as for now (and it's been a while since we've seen him). I think he deserves a shot in our next friendly to see what he can do in this 4-3-3.

It's important that our target man can help us get more possession of the ball and Gerba didn't do well at that against Austria, loosing too many balls.

But those 3 guys are still young (all 23-24 yrs old), so the future looks good but one of them must step up for that spot.

Guest Jeffery S.

I too am keen to see one or all of these guys continue to improve. Two have come out of NCAA, so their pro experience is relatively low considering their ages, which is still young in any case. I hope Gerba can improve in top flight Sweden, am a bit unsure about Friend staying with Molde though understand there was a sentimental reason there, having won the cup with them, while I think Occean is into a key season. If, on this apparently stronger team, he can get more than 10 goals, that will be a good sign.

I'd say all of them really need good coaching and to play with and against tough competition.

Who else would we put in such a spot, leaving aside the solution of McKenna, which I don't rule out either? Any thoughts on our better strong centre forwards in Div 1 USL or coming up?

Well, Lombardo seems like too much of a pencil to me, but he is young. Maybe Rocco or one of those other Italian guys like Uccello, who I think is also a big kid -although his pro career seems to be sufferring judging from the silence from Don Alberto. I think Gyaki could be converted. I don't think he's good in air, but he seems like he can hold the ball in any case. At the end of the day, whoever plays this role doesn't need to be a prototype as long as they score. Gyaki fits this mold and both Friend and Gerba have finished everywhere they've been thus far. Neither have had a really good look with the MNT.

Th eproblem I see with Friend is that Yallop has said that he wants us to have more possession to avoid chassing around the Costa Rican or other Central American teams in very hot condition.

Friend doesn't look like the guy we can rely on to help us keep the ball, he's more like the big stiker to whom you send a lot of long balls (and the report from Norway suggest that it's the way they're using him with Molde).

As for now, I would like to see Occean in that position and have Friend coming in at the 60-70 min if we need a goal. I like Friend physical presense and I think he's the kind of guy that can take advantage of a tired defense.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Th eproblem I see with Friend is that Yallop has said that he wants us to have more possession to avoid chassing around the Costa Rican or other Central American teams in very hot condition.

Friend doesn't look like the guy we can rely on to help us keep the ball, he's more like the big stiker to whom you send a lot of long balls (and the report from Norway suggest that it's the way they're using him with Molde).

Friend is the kind of player though who can retain possession with flick ons & knockdowns. The key to retaining possession in that style is to ensure the plethora of midfielders around him are in position to receive those balls.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Yallop has said that he wants us to have more possession to avoid chassing around the Costa Rican or other Central American teams in very hot condition.

To those of you who saw the match: what was our possession like in the midfield? One of my big complaints against our mids (for instance, Serioux) was that they would give the ball away cheaply, especially after our team had absorbed pressure and/or after the back line were able to break up an attack and then one-two the ball up to them. Next thing you, we would be back under siege.

There was some good possession and forward build up in the midfield. The midfield did give the ball up a bit too easily sometimes but to be fair they won most of the battles for the ball and won the ball more often than they lost it.

Gentlemen,reviewing all your comments I am blown away by your incredable lack of support or any complimentary remarks of our team. Not an effen word and certainly not for Frank. What is the matter with you guys. Here we are in Frank Stronach's world the huge auto mogul and we beat that team. I also know that despite their rankings these guys are very good and here you are blabbering about 443 etc.Frank knows what he is doing he does not need any of you amateur remarks at all. Totally useless period.let us rejoice what they did for us CANADA, they won in the home of historcally a very good team,we won guys. be happy I am and please show it and stop that crap.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by john tv

Gentlemen,reviewing all your comments I am blown away by your incredable lack of support or any complimentary remarks of our team. Not an effen word and certainly not for Frank. What is the matter with you guys. Here we are in Frank Stronach's world the huge auto mogul and we beat that team. I also know that despite their rankings these guys are very good and here you are blabbering about 443 etc.Frank knows what he is doing he does not need any of you amateur remarks at all. Totally useless period.let us rejoice what they did for us CANADA, they won in the home of historcally a very good team,we won guys. be happy I am and please show it and stop that crap.

It was a bull friendly vs. a team that is not that strong, a full year and a half from our next official match. This is not the time to go crazy, though we are all quite happy about the last 4 results I'd say, it is the time to sit back and take a look at what Frank is doing. And most would agree that the playing style is attractive, quite daring as not overly defensive, and that Frank is fitting the players into it with relative success.

Now getting back to the debate about possession from the striker in a 4-3-3.....

Seriously, I agree with Gianluca that the centre forward does not have to give you possession, though if he drops into the midfield to help he has to at least be able to control and distribute. The best guy we have for this, in fact, is Ian Hume, he is better than any of them holding up a ball to his feet, turning, laying it back, he is more sure, though of course he is not a threat with his head.

The whole question comes from the fact that we are getting as many or more goals from mids as from strikers. In fact this has been the case with us for a long time: when was the last time a Canadian playing striker scored two in a game for us?

First let me express how proud I am of this result, and the way the team played with little prep time. Congratulations are due to Frank all all the players. Take that Stronach and all you Eurosnobs!

To Jeffrey: Kevin McKenna scored two vs Haiti playing as a striker. I think that may have been the last time.

In all seriousness, I think Frank ought to experiment with McKenna up front under this new formation. Not saying he would necessarily do better than Friend etc, just think he deserves a shot.

If McKenna starts up front, Frank might experiment with Edgar at center-D. He may well be ready for WCQ. And if not, there is always a good chance DeVos could be talked into one more WCQ run.

In my opinion DeVos or a by then 20 year old Edgar would be an upgrade on McKenna in defence, and McKenna would be an upgrade on Friend or Gerba or Occean at forward under our present 4-3-3.

PS - Nice to see that no one is feeding the troll any more, on this or any other thread.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

There was some good possession and forward build up in the midfield. The midfield did give the ball up a bit too easily sometimes but to be fair they won most of the battles for the ball and won the ball more often than they lost it.

Thanks for the clear and concise description, Grizzly.

It's great to see that kind of drive in the middle of the park. Better than days when we had midfielders in there with the mobility of WWI German railway artillery (Colin Miller, come on down!).

Archived