Kiss SSS and MLS goodbye if federal Tories win

Richard

With the Toronto stadium project so heavily dependent on federal money, if the coming election puts the Tories in power even in a minority government, there is a very good chance the money will disappear or at best be delayed significantly. The new man at the helm will undoubtedly put a freeze on discretionary spending while programs and commitments are reviewed. If the Liberals win they will no doubt honour their existing commitments.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by River City

There should be a Voyageurs questionnaire sent out to all parties and then we can judge the results for ourselves. Every other interest group in the country does the same for every election, so why not us?

This is a really good idea. Maybe do more than a questionnaire. But throw in a bunch of info about the WYC and maybe the state of soccer in this country.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Simpler solution is to think carefully before you mark your ballot.

HAHAHA I guess the Liberals are desperate. They would stoop to this level of fear mongering. Vooote for us or no stadium!!! Harper will build a big bad Church with no abortions!!!

But then all the people who don't want the stadium will vote for the Tories.

On a serious note, I don't think MLSE and MLS would be involved if the cash was not guaranteed. The election won't be until April at which point they would need to be digging so there's no turning back.

I suppose we should try to find out the position of these various parties in relation to the stadium deal.It is indeed another angle or obstacle or one of those unforeseen things.I even wonder if we should make this an issue, since there are as we all know a bunch of soccer haters and if this becomes an issue they may just as well vote against this proposed stadium deal in order to stop soccer. I know I am reaching way beyond but than again,it may be possible.

Some can of worms!

Simpler solution is to think carefully before you mark your ballot.

An even simpler solution is to stay quiet and pray for the best, but that won't do much good. All we need is 10 questions to be formulated and sent to their media contacts. Whatever answers they give, we can then post them. As long as we don't weigh them or rank them, we continue to stay apolitical and everyone can make up their own minds.

Sample questions:

1)Where does your party stand on support for sport, specifically the development of infrastructure, both at the grassroots and professional levels?

2)If elected, what support would your party give the Canadian Soccer Association in hosting the WYC 2007 in light of the federal contribution already earmarked for the Toronto stadium construction?

quote:Originally posted by john tv

I suppose we should try to find out the position of these various parties in relation to the stadium deal.It is indeed another angle or obstacle or one of those unforeseen things.I even wonder if we should make this an issue, since there are as we all know a bunch of soccer haters and if this becomes an issue they may just as well vote against this proposed stadium deal in order to stop soccer. I know I am reaching way beyond but than again,it may be possible.

Some can of worms!

A nice preamble indicating the number of registered players, something about soccer moms and the economic impact of the WYC 2007/other tourneys WILL get their attention, even if they don't like soccer.

With the Toronto stadium project so heavily dependent on federal money, if the coming election puts the Tories in power even in a minority government, there is a very good chance the money will disappear or at best be delayed significantly. The new man at the helm will undoubtedly put a freeze on discretionary spending while programs and commitments are reviewed. If the Liberals win they will no doubt honour their existing commitments.

Does that mean they will also pull Vancouvers Olympic Financing? Federal money is for WYC 2007. Would it be fair to spend 300 Million on Vancouver but not 27 Million in Ontario?

Guys, this is serious because another teacher that works at my school has informed me that Conservative leader Stephen Harper may just pulled the plug on this whole project. The Conservatives are not in the business of using tax payers money to build a stadium. I would rather vote Liberal this time rather than the NDP.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

On a serious note, I don't think MLSE and MLS would be involved if the cash was not guaranteed. The election won't be until April at which point they would need to be digging so there's no turning back.

Actually an election could as early as January 9th or 16th. With the Feds promising this money to the CSA for eons now, you'd have to figure that the checks will be signed off by that time. There remains a possibility that a new party could come in and ruin everything if it hasn't happened by then, but I don't know that I'd describe it as this stage as a "very good chance".

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

Guys, this is serious because another teacher that works at my school has informed me that Conservative leader Stephen Harper may just pulled the plug on this whole project. The Conservatives are not in the business of using tax payers money to build a stadium. I would rather vote Liberal this time rather than the NDP.

Only a moron would vote for a party cause it was pro soccer stadium and pro MLS.

You need to put things into perspective.

Yes indeed if the Tories get in power, life as you know it will end abrubtly.

- no tax breaks.

- no energy rebates.

- seniors will not receive cheques (EVER)

- no SSS.

- soccer enthusiasts will be 'relocated' to Northern Ontario.

- all Dutch people will be immediately deported for their obvious disrespect for the Church in matters of State.

- Creationism will be taught in schools (along with I.D.!!!!!!)

- that coloured woman will be immediately removed from the GG assignment (post haste) and join you soccer enthusiasts at a remote location.

More to come from your man in Harper's riding hiding under my bed awaiting the Apocalypse.

Robert

644 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 : 16:47:43

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Leafs

quote:

Originally posted by Robert

quote:

Originally posted by Richard

MLSE has publicly stated that they hope to work with the Lynx and have them operate out of the new Exhibition stadium. I don't see that as seeking their demise.

A hope to work with sounds nice and diplomatic. However, it will be evident quite early on if Toronto's MLS team operates in a united way with the local soccer community or if they go into competition with a club such as the Lynx. I can understand the uncertainty the Lynx are experiencing. They must feel that their existence is threatened. The ball is in the Toronto MLS team's court. Do they perceive the Lynx as having any value to themselves and an asset of Canadian soccer? Or will they let them strave and die? I can have respect for the Toronto MLS team if they show a commitment to fielding more than one or two token Canadians each and every game, and if they support the different levels of soccer already in existence in the Toronto community. If they are a money hungry, self-centered entity, then the sooner the MLS club goes under, the better off Canadian soccer will be. Like I said, the ball is in their count now. The money hungry, self-centered approach is okay if the club is entirely funded through private sources, however, every Canadian taxpayer has contributed some share to the start-up of this handout club. I hope they never forget that.

What a moronic comment.

Every taxpayer in this Country has Contributed to BC Place Commonwealth Olympic Stadium.

Mr Robert brainiac, tell me who has built a soccer facilty in this country without fedral money.

Every one seems to forget that Canada made a commitment to Fifa for WYC 2007. How convinient is it for the cry babies like you to over look this fact.

How fortunate we are that MLSE came forwad to allow this to happen.

Go grind your axe somewhere else. Most of us are purly sick of your retared comments.

Can you spell Gomery. Better get those Federal tranfere $$$$s quickly.

As the village idiot pointed out a while back, this stadium ain't built yet. All this back slapping, and having celebration parties in Toronto may still prove to be premature, and Canadian soccer may still not have lost big time yet, as some self professed genius proclaimed. Who knows, if the BLOC pulls off the upset of all upsets, the stadium might wind up in Montreal, where in my opinion it really belongs anyway, seeing it is a real soccer city. For Canadian soccer to grow, Vote BLOC. VIVA LA BLOC LIBRE! Your not really a Liberal are you Richard? There's always Mr. Layton and the NDP for guys like you.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Yes indeed if the Tories get in power, life as you know it will end abrubtly.

- no tax breaks.

- no energy rebates.

- seniors will not receive cheques (EVER)

- no SSS.

- soccer enthusiasts will be 'relocated' to Northern Ontario.

- all Dutch people will be immediately deported for their obvious disrespect for the Church in matters of State.

- Creationism will be taught in schools (along with I.D.!!!!!!)

- that coloured woman will be immediately removed from the GG assignment (post haste) and join you soccer enthusiasts at a remote location.

More to come from your man in Harper's riding hiding under my bed awaiting the Apocalypse.

http://www.conservative.ca/EN/policy_declaration/e)_fiscal/

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Only a moron would vote for a party cause it was pro soccer stadium and pro MLS.

You need to put things into perspective.

I believe that it is everyone's democratic right to vote for who they want for whatever reason they want. I disagree with all parties on different issues, but I do not go around calling the people that vote for them 'morons'.

As a former federal Progressive Conservative, I'm not exactly a big fan of Harper and the 'Calgary school'. But I don't go around refering to their supporters as morons. That's what they believe in. Good on them for being involved.

In the general scope of things, life won't change much regardless which party you vote for. If the Conservatives get in, schools and hospitals won't be shutting down overnight. And if the Liberals get in, taxes won't be going through the roof. We're looking at another minority government so why not make a pointed exercise of voicing our opinions as SOCCER fans. If we give the illusion of a united bloc, you'd be surprised at the response politicians give. Trust me. Especially when they'll pander to whatever special interest group they feel can give them an edge.

We need to secure policy commitment at the federal level and then personal support at the constituency level. Again, I feel this can be done through a Voyageur questionnaire.

I seriously doubt that the Tories, who I might add DESPERATELY need Ontario votes are going to scupper the stadium. Don't forget, no, SSS, no WYC 2007 in Toronto, and that would be a big scandal. Stephen Harper will be very careful not to do anything construed as anti-Ontario. Thats the truth here folks, the polls show that at the moment he may only get a minority government if he wins at all, so he will have to tiptoe very carefully around Ontario. $27 million is not a huge amount by government standards, so I am confident that the Tories would honour the commitment and avoid alienating Ontaio voters. Don't start celebrating the end of the Toronto's MLS dream yet, if you do you will probably be in for a really big disappointment.

It is highly unlikely that the Tories would change this project.

First, funding is coming from three levels of government for what is essentially a city infrastructure project in a region of the country that the Tories would most like to make inroads.

Second, the financing of the project has been put in place and has received approvals at all levels of government. If the Federal Government pulls out, it risks lawsuits for financial losses.

Third, the word today is that the Federal Ways and Means Bill will be supported by the Tories so the financing plans of the current government are likely to be approved. I don't know if the stadium funding is in there but if the intent is to start construction in January, it would have to be or has already passed previously. In other words, cancelling the project would be like raising 2004 income tax rates and going back to individuals and demanding more money.

There is simply no political advantage for the Tories to cancel what amounts to a very small project (by government standards). It's not worth the aggravation politically. So relax.

It is highly unlikely that the Tories would change this project.

First, funding is coming from three levels of government for what is essentially a city infrastructure project in a region of the country that the Tories would most like to make inroads.

Second, the financing of the project has been put in place and has received approvals at all levels of government. If the Federal Government pulls out, it risks lawsuits for financial losses.

Third, the word today is that the Federal Ways and Means Bill will be supported by the Tories so the financing plans of the current government are likely to be approved. I don't know if the stadium funding is in there but if the intent is to start construction in January, it would have to be or has already passed previously. In other words, cancelling the project would be like raising 2004 income tax rates and going back to individuals and demanding more money.

There is simply no political advantage for the Tories to cancel what amounts to a very small project (by government standards). It's not worth the aggravation politically. So relax.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

How can a politician not in power cancel a project? I don't follow that. Anyway, I went to their website to see if there is anything in their platform as opposed to guessing and getting scared. Here it is:

http://www.conservative.ca/EN/policy_declaration/p)_canadian_heritage_and_culture/

94. Amateur Sport

The Conservative Party recognizes the value of promoting amateur sport as a means of building legacy and heritage in local communities, and as a means of serving future generations of athletes. We will help develop tax incentives to support and increase participation in local and top-tier international sporting events. An investment in amateur sport is an investment in future Canadian leaders and builds Canadian representatives around the world.

I guess we can take that for whatever it's worth. I kind of gave up on trusting platforms after the 1993 promise of eliminating the GST by the Liberals.

Regardless, my vote will not be based on the Toronto soccer stadium issue, and I suggest if anyone thinks this issue is enough to vote or not vote for a party, they need to start paying attention to the real world.

Jason

This topic is funny.

But I think I can laugh along for a bit.

What kind of genius would sink an eye candy project worth 1/10,000th of 1 percentage point of the federal budget in the City of Toronto. You know? Toronto? That city with more riding than all of western Canada combined? Moneys the previous goverment has already "spent". Moneys that are already off the goverment books in an account somewhere. And for the sake of argument, a project that would have TORY instead of Liberal goverment MPs standing all a-smiles for the cameras at the opening at the WYC.

I'll tell you what kind of genius. A pretty bloody stupid one.

Just killing time until kickoff.

I'm more and more afraid with what I'm reading on this board...

Seriously now, regarding the dates, the building of the stadium will already have begun when the new PM will be known

I imagine Toronto with a big hole in Exhibition Place ! Funny !

And some of you believe liberals who come make their campaign here...

Please, wake up !

Time you headed down to the lower east side and smoked some crack with the good citizens. You cant do math can you. By the time we have an election ground will allready be broken.

What is funny is no one from Toronto had anything but good whishes for VCR 2010. We are not pettey like some of our wetern friends.

Archived