Kiss SSS and MLS goodbye if federal Tories win

Richard

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Richard

Before the election certainly, while he is courting those desperately wanted Ontario votes.

My concern is after the election.

He wont get the Ontario votes we dont drink his cool aid like our Western friends do, Harper is a scary human.

quote:Originally posted by MLSFAN

Time you headed down to the lower east side and smoked some crack with the good citizens. You cant do math can you. By the time we have an election ground will allready be broken.

You need to check your own math or are you the one smoking crack? There is a very good probability the election will take place at the end of December or early January. I see no signs of any groundbreaking at Exhibition place now or by January either.

You need to check your own math or are you the one smoking crack? There is a very good probability the election will take place at the end of December or early January. I see no signs of any groundbreaking at Exhibition place now or by January either.

Does that mean the 300 Million for 2010 will be revoked as well.

Funny commnets coming from a province who gets funds from the feds but does not contribute. Its called being a have not.

Stop smoking crack and give us in the east a break. We dont moan and bitch that our tax dollors go west and east.

Richard, out of curiosity, where is this all taken from???

is there some link that you came across??? if so post it.

if this is the usual attempt to damper the mood here in T.O. then don't waste everyone's time. Here in T.O., we have seen enough hurdles that if that were to happen, then we will deal with it when it ACTUALLY occurs.

'til then, i hold true to what i have always said, once i see ground is finally broken and Garber/MLSE OFFICIALLY make their announcement, THen i'll breathe a FINAL sigh of relief.

i truly believe w/o a doubt it will happen and fall into place. Whether you guys are happy for the good of soccer in T.O. is your own perogative, but it is terribly disappointing that parts of canada share a selfish view in opposing this deal and what T.O. was up against.

Franky, if you take the time and trouble to read my posts over the past months you will see that I have been a supporter of the Toronto stadium project all along, whether Varsity, York, Downsview or Exhibition Place. I have also be a supporter of MLS Toronto and defended MLSE as facility manager and MLS franchisee. Why must the concern I expressed about risks to the federal funding be taken from anywhere? Why can they not be an expression of my own genuine concerns about the future of this grand project which benefits not only Toronto but all of Canada? Some of us are capable of original ideas on occasion. If it were possible to give you a hotlink into my mind I might try it but failing that, just take my word. I simply don't trust and have zero faith in George W. Bush light.

yah, but when poor 'ole Luis starts a panic attack, its hard not to be concern [:P]

i know from your previous posts, my interpretation was you are a strong advocater but when i read the headline, it is hard to know if it was something that you came across or maybe the southsiders swayed your faith [B)] away from the big smoke, thats all.

if it is only a simple devine expression that is being tossed around to better prepare us for a possible, as they say, rug pulled out from under our feet, then i appreciate your genuine concern.

no harm done.

Personally, i doubt the Tories would consider pulling this off the table. Their is quite a bit at stake, adding the World exposure of the WYC with the business practice of the MLSE. not a good political stance, imo.

Sorry I don't follow your reason for concern. The only way the Tories would have the power to cancel a project such as this one when it is so far along would be to win a majority. We know already that Quebec is a no go for them. That means, in order to have enough seats to get a majority, they would have to win a significant number of seats in Ontario. That in itself is not likely.

Should they acheive all that, the dynamics of the Tory caucus will have changed significantly. An Ontario wing within the party would then have some power. Cancelling a project that you can blame on the previous government if it fails and claim credit and photo opportunity if it successful doesn't sound to me as something that any politician would turn their back on.

More realistically, the likely result of an election is some sort of minority government which means a government that is more concerned about self-preservation than cancelling an already approved municipal infrastructure project. There is no political value in doing that regardless of stated policies or personal biases.

If this project collapses, it will not be on the government side.

If the Tories are successful in gaining sufficient support to win

Before the election certainly, while he is courting those desperately wanted Ontario votes.

My concern is after the election.

quote:Originally posted by MLSFAN

Does that mean the 300 Million for 2010 will be revoked as well.

Funny commnets coming from a province who gets funds from the feds but does not contribute. Its called being a have not.

Stop smoking crack and give us in the east a break. We dont moan and bitch that our tax dollors go west and east.

Where are you from ?

Again people, as Canuck Oranje states, the next government, whoever they are will likely be a minority one concerned with self preservation. That means maintaining whatever seats it holds in Ontario. The Tories want to create agood impression in Ontario as they know that Ontario voters are suspicious of them. What better way to endear yourself to Ontario voters you neeed by cancelling infrastructure projects in Ontario that cost essentialy pocket-change and cost nothing to leave alone. Stephen Harper isn't too bright but he isn't that stupid. The stadium is safe folks.

For all who discount offhand the risk of losing funding with a change of prime minister and cabinet, I say beware fiddling while Rome burns. The best for soccer is to stay the course.

Richard, I really think you are over exaggerating this. There are so few benefits and such great risks to the Tories 'Ontario friendly' image that it just won't happen.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Richard, I really think you are over exaggerating this. There are so few benefits and such great risks to the Tories 'Ontario friendly' image that it just won't happen.

When there is a change in government in most democratic countries, nearly all of the existing projects approved by the previous government are honoured. If this was not the case, every time an election occurred it would be chaos, with the government mired in hundreds or thousands of lawsuits resulting from broken contracts. Usually only highly charged deals full of political implications are ever cancelled. The only good example I can think of was the Liberals cancelling the Mulroney military helicopter deal when they won in 1993. I believe that resulted in much legal action and a payout to get out of the deal. Does anyone really believe that a Toronto SSS is on the radar of any federal political party to a comparable extent?

Jason

quote:Originally posted by Jason

When there is a change in government in most democratic countries, nearly all of the existing projects approved by the previous government are honoured. If this was not the case, every time an election occurred it would be chaos, with the government mired in hundreds or thousands of lawsuits resulting from broken contracts. Usually only highly charged deals full of political implications are ever cancelled. The only good example I can think of was the Liberals cancelling the Mulroney military helicopter deal when they won in 1993. I believe that resulted in much legal action and a payout to get out of the deal. Does anyone really believe that a Toronto SSS is on the radar of any federal political party to a comparable extent?

Jason

No, I don't. The precedent from Stephen Harper is already there. Last year before he tried to bring down the government he annonced that the Tories would honour the budget amemdments that the Liberals had negotiated with the NDP. he will do the same here, for all the reasons Jason myself and others have outlined. Its full steam ahead for the Toronto SSS folks.

You guys may well trust Stephen Harper but I don't. Politicians that are as desperate and hungry for power as he is will make whatever fine sounding promises they think the electorate wants to hear in order to win votes. Once elected they find all kinds of excuses to do precisely as they please no matter what campaign promises were made. Furthermore, I am not making a big deal of this as some have suggested, merely warning folks not to be overly trusting and naive when it comes to the money promised for the Toronto stadium. I will rest easy only when the cash is actually paid out by the federal government.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

I'm so desperate to see:

a)a copy of Richard's Liberal Party membership card

b)Richard's copy of the Liberal party 'election script'

The same old boring, unsubstantiated points from a corrupt party meant to scare voters and not attract them are becoming sad.

He's paranoid about the Conervatives comming to power. He's a Liberal for sure. No other evidence is needed.

For those of you who are jumping to misguided and completely erroneous conclusions, I am not and have never been a card carrying member of any political party in Canada and have a record of not voting for the same party twice. Now put that in your collective pipe and smoke it instead of the usual crack.

Come off it, Richard. You've made it clear in a number of posts that there's nothing so terrible the Liberal crowd in Ottawa could ever do that would cause you to abandon them. Who cares whether you're a card carrier, or have a self-professed "record" of party switching? Feel free to keep that information to yourself.

"Stay the course." Give me a break. There's no end of fear-mongering you folks can engage in, is there? I'm sure that the "fear of losing" [my quotes] a SSS in Toronto by backing a party other than the Natural Governing Party will sway tens of voters in Ontario. Good for you.

I believe I can make up my own mind on whom to support without a representative/apologist for the federal Liberal crowd trying, yet again, to tell me the sky will fall if they're not returned.

I am no apologist for the Liberal Party but I also have no wish to see George Bush light as prime minister of Canada - ever! That however is a different issue from my opening post which even you ought to be able to divine.

CALLING OUT RICHARD!!!!!

How is Stephen Harper bad for Canada?

Archived