MLS Toronto Announcement press coverage thread

Gian-Luca

Might as well start one & put all the news stories in here, if that's okay.

LA Times Article:

MLS to Add Toronto, but Others May Move

First Canadian team set for debut in 2007. San Jose, Kansas City teams could have new homes.

By Grahame L. Jones, Times Staff Writer

DALLAS — Major League Soccer today is expected to add Toronto as its 13th team and first Canadian franchise.

The club, which will begin play in 2007, will be owned and operated by Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, which also owns the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs, the NBA's Toronto Raptors and the Air Canada Centre.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We hope to have it confirmed at our board meeting tomorrow," MLS Commissioner Don Garber said Friday in Frisco, Texas, site of Sunday's championship final involving the Galaxy and the New England Revolution.

The board is expected to approve two other key proposals:

• Teams would be given the freedom to step outside the salary cap and sign one marquee player for impact.

"We're going to talk about giving every team the opportunity to have a Landon [Donovan] or a [Francisco] Palencia or an Eddie Johnson," Garber said.

• MLS teams would be encouraged to develop young players through soccer academies by allowing them to retain the rights to any such players they produce rather than losing them to the draft.

Meanwhile, Garber said that unless new ownership is found for the San Jose Earthquakes and the Kansas City Wizards, preferably within the next month, each team would be relocated.

Contraction, in Garber's view, is not an option.

"Absolutely not," he said. "That shouldn't be something you guys [the media] are even thinking about. We'd have to move the teams."

The Earthquakes and Wizards are original members of the 10-year-old league and have won MLS Cups.

San Jose is owned by Los Angeles-based AEG, which has said for a year, in no uncertain terms, that it wants to shed the team.

Kansas City is owned by Lamar Hunt, who decided to sell the team after voters defeated a tax plan last November that would have funded improvements at Arrowhead Stadium. The Wizards share the stadium with the NFL's Chiefs, also owned by Hunt.

Each team has been in limbo since word of the efforts to sell surfaced. Neither is selling season tickets for 2006.

Garber did not identify potential suitors for either team.

He was asked why, after a year or more, the issues are unresolved.

"The easy answer would be that we've made a decision to move those teams, but we haven't," Garber said. "We're still working hard to keep both of those teams in their markets.

"We need local ownership, we need a stadium plan and we need a committed fan base.

"In San Jose, we don't have a local owner, we don't have a stadium plan and we have a fan base that has been inconsistent in its support — very supportive toward the end of the year but not as supportive during the year, week in and week out.

"We're working very hard to get somebody to step up and buy that team from AEG and to make progress with a municipality in the Bay Area that's willing to make a commitment to our sport. We haven't been able to do that as of today."

The league is believed to be in discussions with Silicon Valley Sports and Entertainment, which counts the NHL's San Jose Sharks among its properties, but progress has been slow.

"In Kansas City, we have a similar situation," he said. "We're engaged with a local ownership group. We haven't been able to finalize a deal….

ADVERTISEMENT

"We have obvious deadlines. We've got to make a schedule and we've got to re-brand a new team if it's going to move, but we're trying hard to keep those teams there."

MLS has been courting Televisa, the Latin media giant, and it remains a viable potential investor, according to Garber. But whether its interest is in the Wizards or Earthquakes, as opposed to an expansion team, remained unclear Friday.

The addition of Toronto, meanwhile, raised the issue of MLS developing Canadian, rather than American, players.

"We think we're going to have 14 teams in 2007," Garber said. "We can have 16 teams by '08 or '09. We're developing a lot of [American] players. But we also believe that we need to raise the profile of the sport on this continent.

"If Canada has a better national team, this is going to be a better continent for soccer, and right now that country has been lagging behind the United States in developing its game. We think a pro team will help them do that and we think that's better for American soccer."

(BEGIN TEXT OF INFOBOX)

Best XI

The all-time MLS team, as announced Friday, as selected by fans, media and team officials, in honor of the league's 10th year of competition:

• Tony Meola, GK, 1996-2005

• Eddie Pope, D, 1996-2005

• Jeff Agoos, D, 1996-2005

• Marcelo Balboa, D, 1996-2002

• Marco Etcheverry, MF, 1996-2003

• Landon Donovan, MF, 2001-05

• Carlos Valderrama, MF, 1996-2002

• Preki, MF, 1996-2005

• Peter Nowak, MF, 1998-2002

• Jaime Moreno, F, 1996-2005

• Brian McBride, F, 1996-2003

This one mentions a 30 day period, though I suspect that only applies to San Jose & KC's relocation rather than a Toronto announcement.

Expansion, relocation top league agenda

By Jason Halpin / MLSnet.com Staff

Commissioner Don Garber gave his State of the League address in Frisco, Texas, on Friday. (Tony Quinn/MLS/WireImage.com)

FRISCO, Texas -- The future should be decided for Major League Soccer in Toronto, San Jose and Kansas City within the next 30 days, Commissioner Don Garber said at the MLS Cup 2005 Media Luncheon Friday at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco, Texas.

The league's Board of Governors will meet Saturday to discuss a host of issues. If all goes according to plan, Toronto will be confirmed as the league's 13th team by the end of the meeting, and all teams could find themselves with more flexibility to sign marquee players and financial incentives to take part in youth development.

"The roots of the league, Major League Soccer, and professional soccer have clearly been deeply established here in our country," Garber said. "We're rapidly becoming and reaching that goal -- our dream -- that our early investor-operators had 10 years ago: to create a true soccer nation."

Representatives of the proposed Toronto club are in the Dallas area this weekend for MLS Cup 2005, as are potential investors in five other cities: Philadelphia, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Atlanta and Tulsa, Okla. Garber noted that if a second 2007 expansion city is not decided on, the league could employ an unbalanced schedule with just 13 teams.

The time to make a decision on whether the San Jose Earthquakes and Kansas City Wizards will remain in the current homes is also fast approaching, Garber said. If the decision is made to move the teams -- contraction is not an option, he noted -- those changes would be made prior to the 2006 season. The clubs would have to be rebranded and start selling tickets, meaning MLS must come to a decision soon.

"It's very much a goal of ours to keep those teams in their current markets," he said. "We need local ownership, we need a stadium plan, and we need a committed fan base."

While some have speculated that a salary cap exception would be involved, Garber wouldn't discuss the details of the league's plan to provide teams with the flexibility to sign big-name players. Still, he described it -- in conjunction with the plan to provide incentives for teams to open youth academies -- as a sea change for the 10-year-old league.

"It's going to be an important new change to how we think about things and how we go forward into the future," Garber said.

In the vein of youth academies, the Commissioner said club's would be encouraged to set up systems like those of D.C. United and the MetroStars, with one incentive being that they would be able to retain the rights to those youth players.

"The byproduct of that will be those players don't go into the SuperDraft," Garber said. "That's an important change to the way we view player development today. It's to try to get into that club system that exists in other parts of the world."

The league is also in discussions with ABC/ESPN and Univision to come to terms on long-term English and Spanish language television rights. Garber expects an announcement on those deals to come within the next month, as well.

Jason Halpin is a contributor to MLSnet.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Soccer or its clubs.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

The addition of Toronto, meanwhile, raised the issue of MLS developing Canadian, rather than American, players.

"We're developing a lot of [American] players. But we also believe that we need to raise the profile of the sport on this continent," Garber said.

"If Canada has a better national team, this is going to be a better continent for soccer, and right now that country has been lagging behind the United States in developing its game. We think a pro team will help them do that and we think that's better for American soccer."

See!!! I told you the team will be full of Guatemalens. MLS doesn't care about Canada peoples. There going to force Toronto to have all Mexican players.

And as you can see, this was told to an American media outlet, so there was no reason for Garber to bs it as if it was for a Canadian audience.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

See!!! I told you the team will be full of Guatemalens. MLS doesn't care about Canada peoples. There going to force Toronto to have all Mexican players.

And as you can see, this was told to an American media outlet, so there was no reason for Garber to bs it as if it was for a Canadian audience.

Was this sarcastic? I can't even tell.

MLS closing in on Toronto expansion

Board of Governors outlines more specifics for potential Canadian team

By Jason Halpin / MLSnet.com Staff

FRISCO, Texas -- The city of Toronto is a hair's breadth from being confirmed as Major League Soccer's 13th team, but none of the league's big-ticket items were finalized at Saturday's Board of Governors meeting.

Larry Tannenbaum, the chairman of the board of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, the group set to put an expansion team in Toronto, was introduced to the board Saturday. While MLS Commissioner Don Garber said he can't yet announce a final agreement, he was very optimistic that the remaining details will be ironed out in short order.

"[The board] formally approved their application for expansion," Garber said. "There's still some things left that they need to do in Toronto on the stadium front before ... we can announce a deal.

"They're really an impressive group," he added. "... (They) are going to be terrific partners."

Garber and deputy commissioner Ivan Gazidis also said that the league's domestic player rules will be different for the Toronto team. Canadian players will count as domestic, while all others, including U.S. citizens, will count as international players. Toronto will be allowed to have three additional senior internationals -- seven, as opposed to four -- as long as those additional three are from the United States. The Canadian team will also have five youth international spots, rather than three, in its inaugural season (just as Chivas USA and Real Salt Lake this year).

On another expansion note, Garber said the expansion fee for the league's 14th team will be $15 million until Dec. 31, 2005, at which point it will increase "significantly" to an as-yet undetermined amount.

The other major items Garber discussed during his MLS Cup luncheon Friday -- a salary budget exception for marquee players, incentives for teams that build youth academies, the new television deal that is on the horizon, and the fate of the San Jose Earthquakes and Kansas City Wizards -- were topics of much discussion at the board meeting, but no decisions were reached.

"It's just that ... change is difficult," Garber said, when asked what the sticking point was on the marquee player exception. "We've got to be sure that we make the right decision and tee it up in a way that's going to be very effective and still maintain our [single-entity] structure."

Lamar Hunt, the investor-operator of the Columbus Crew and FC Dallas, said the league should pace itself when it comes to increasing budgets.

"We need to be moderate in our approach," he said. "We need to grow our budgets out of success rather than projected success."

Speaking on the future of the Earthquakes and Wizards, both Garber and Hunt said that no drop-dead date has been set for when a decision must be made, but Garber emphasized that, taking into account the need to sell tickets for 2006, that a final decision must be made within the "next couple of weeks." Garber also reiterated that a new television deal, which would start in 2007, is in the offing, but more work still needs to be done before it can be announced.

Some matters the Board of Governors did finalize are the framework of the 2006 season -- a full slate of games will kick it off on April 1 and MLS Cup will be played on Sunday, Nov. 12 -- and the formation of a technical committee to examine the league's competition format. Gazidis said the committee will go beyond the reach of the board and include general managers and coaches. There might be some minor changes for 2006 as recommended by the technical committee, but Gazidis expects that more substantial alterations could come in 2007.

Also, the board approved major allocations for the four teams that missed the playoffs and gave the Wizards an additional allocation in the wake of Preki's retirement.

You gotta love how Garber won't recognize the USL as pro.

The BIG competition, in the USA, should be the US Open Cup; and Minnesota got to the semi's beating 3 MLS squads and Rochester got to the quarter's falling to the PKs. Some USL teams will beat MLS teams consistantly, that's why they don't play each other often.

Major League Soccer board of governors approves Toronto expansion franchise

Nov. 12, 2005. 11:10 PM

FRISCO, Texas (CP) Major League Soccer's board of governors formally approved Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd.'s application for an expansion team Saturday.

The deal is pending finalization of terms of an agreement.

The board also examined a proposal regarding the roster composition of the new Canadian expansion franchise.

It would include three additional senior international spots for U.S.-born players, for a total of seven senior international spots, and two additional youth international spots, for a total of five in line with the youth international totals for the 2005 expansion teams, Chivas USA and Real Salt Lake.

22:53ET 12-11-05

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1131835237164&call_pageid=1044529386722

quote:Originally posted by Glenn

It would include three additional senior international spots for U.S.-born players, for a total of seven senior international spots, and two additional youth international spots, for a total of five in line with the youth international totals for the 2005 expansion teams, Chivas USA and Real Salt Lake.

Can't say I'm crazy about this. I expected the five youth internationals and potentially five senior international spots, but seven senior spots took me by surprise. Obviously a compromise with the players association and USSF. I hope all these extras spots will be grandfathered after the first couple of years.

So, a Toronto team could have as few as six Canadians on the senior roster, although to be fair usually a couple of youth internationals are on the development roster. Now, there is no guarantee that the team will use all seven senior spots, particularly if three quality American players are hard to come by (especially if a 14th US based team enters in 07). However, I'm not totally surprised given MLSE exec's comments about needing more imports to be competitive. Again I disagree with them.

Overall, a little disappointing.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I can't see the three US players (if they end up having any) being all that much of a draw in Toronto, unless they are all US World Cup team players and the US does well in the World Cup.

I agree. Perhaps, like some Americans in other sports, they won't want to play here.

They won't mean a thing in terms of public appeal as you say, at least not initially. If they're good ......

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

Can't say I'm crazy about this. I expected the five youth internationals and potentially five senior international spots, but seven senior spots took me by surprise.

Now, there is no guarantee that the team will use all seven senior spots, particularly if three quality American players are hard to come by (especially if a 14th US based team enters in 07).

I'd go as far to say I'd guarantee they won't use them. MLS teams used 28 of the 48 Senior International slot this year. And 23 of the 40 Youth International spots were filled.

I would argue that the lack of SIs comes down to lack of funds. After 10 years, too many domestic veterans are making too much money and teams can't dole out six figure contracts to entice guys to come over.

I expected the team would try to stock their YIs through the college draft and this would allow them to keep some of those picks for a few years after they became SIs, but I have trouble imagining Toronto being able to afford four SIs from outside NA and then have enough cash to buy three Americans who are better than Canadians. If you follow what I'm saying . . .

cheers,

matthew

Guys, please excuse my ignorance to North American soccer. What is the score here? Does Tornto get a team for 2007?

I stayed in Toronto briefly as a kid and was proud to be a Blizzards supporter, I am coming back perminately next year and would love to follow MLS in Toronto

What I am reading is that our youth players being part of the Toronto team will not be subject to a draft.This the system that helped Ajax become so succesfull,but now are up against the Bosman rule.

This youth system development is also totally foreign to the other major sports.I wonder what the end result will be.I am very happy to see this as being part of the agreement and this is great for our young and upcoming players.

quote:Originally posted by MFC

Does Tornto get a team for 2007?

Yes.

It looks as though they will be the only new team for 2007, though I suppose that another team could be announced in 2006 if they already have a stadium that would be ready to go in 2007. Chivas & Salt Lake were both announced in 2004 and started play in 2005, just a gap of a year. Our gap between announcement & starting play is about 18 months.

quote:Originally posted by MFC

Does Tornto get a team for 2007?

Yes.

It looks as though they will be the only new team for 2007, though I suppose that another team could be announced in 2006 if they already have a stadium that would be ready to go in 2007. Chivas & Salt Lake were both announced in 2004 and started play in 2005, just a gap of a year. Our gap between announcement & starting play is about 18 months.

Toronto approved for 2007 MLS seasons

Board added a 13th team and discussed a franchise player system

11:31 PM CST on Saturday, November 12, 2005

By STEVE DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

FRISCO – Major League Soccer's board of governors approved Toronto as the league's 13th team Saturday during annual pre-MLS Cup meetings.

The first MLS club outside the United States will begin play in 2007. Commissioner Don Garber said a few more technicalities have to be ironed out before the formal announcement.

Discussions took place on the possibility of adding a designated marquee player who would operate outside each team's salary cap.

"We came to the conclusion that we have a lot more work to do before we figure that one out," Garber said.

FC Dallas owner Lamar Hunt, often a cautious voice in these discussions, said he isn't sure how well the NFL's similar franchise player designation has worked.

"I don't think that's where our success will come from," Hunt said. "I think it's going to come from facilities and good, local ownership."

Garber said there's no movement on relocation issues. San Jose and Kansas City may move as soon as this season. He also said any further expansion would include a $15 million fee prior to Dec. 31, with the amount increasing substantially after that.

New ball enters field of play: Adidas will unveil its new World Cup ball next year.

Adidas will reveal the new ball at the FIFA World Cup draw in Germany on Dec. 9. MLS, which is dumping Puma for Adidas next year as its official supplier, will be the first league to officially put the ball in play when the 2006 season begins April.

IF there is any group that i think that might be able to pull off another MLS team for 2007, might be Phily and do not rule out those bloody Whinos (slim chance). quite a few of the bids, all hinge upon SSS.

Starting in 2007, four teams will christen new stadias;

Toronto,

Colorado,

Metrostars,

Salt Lake,

not to forget, Chicago in 2006.

Therefore, the only teams that will be left playing out a cavernous stade would be;

New England,

Kansas City,

DC United (although talks are very strong about a SSS, there),

San Jose are just looking for an owner to keep the franchise there and build their own facility.

quote:Originally posted by Franky

Therefore, the only teams that will be left playing out a cavernous stade would be;

New England,

Kansas City,

DC United (although talks are very strong about a SSS, there),

San Jose are just looking for an owner to keep the franchise there and build their own facility.

And the G-Man Rogers Centre All-Stars.

Okay, that was unfair... but fun.

Mike.

quote:Originally posted by Ben Lauden

the formation of a technical committee to examine the league's competition format. Gazidis said the committee will go beyond the reach of the board and include general managers and coaches. There might be some minor changes for 2006 as recommended by the technical committee, but Gazidis expects that more substantial alterations could come in 2007.

Anybody catch this? could this mean that the "substantial alterations by 2007" could be a single table instead of east and west conferences? If theres only the 13 teams by then, I would expect MLS to have only one table, it makes more sense.

quote:Originally posted by matthew

I would argue that the lack of SIs comes down to lack of funds. After 10 years, too many domestic veterans are making too much money and teams can't dole out six figure contracts to entice guys to come over.

I expected the team would try to stock their YIs through the college draft and this would allow them to keep some of those picks for a few years after they became SIs, but I have trouble imagining Toronto being able to afford four SIs from outside NA and then have enough cash to buy three Americans who are better than Canadians. If you follow what I'm saying . . .

Oh, I follow... :D

And you beat me to researching the numbers of internationals being used this year. The salary cap, even if expanded and with one cap exemption, should still prove a big enough impediment. Plus, I think they'll be surprised by the depth of the Canadian talent pool in respect to those who can likely play at the level.

I'd agree that we'll likely see up to 10 Canucks on the senior roster simply because YI's can be put on the development roster (aka, drafted imports).

Archived