Jonathan De Guzman

john tv

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

I am confused by your post. Both soccernet and livescore have Kalou and Castelen as scorers of the first two Feyenoord goals. And livescore has Paauwe scoring the third.

Feyenoord Site has Jonathan scoring

http://www.feyenoord.nl/domains/feyenoord/pages/article_v2.asp?content=12790000011686_2_12770000000008

From the report:

"Twee minuten erna nam Castelen opnieuw de hoofdrol op zich bij een Rotterdamse aanval. De voorzet van de aanvaller werd door een Willem II-verdediger aangeraakt en zeilde over de ongelukkige Zois. De attente De Guzman reageerde dankbaar, kopte simpel binnen en maakte zo zijn eerste treffer in het eerste van Feyenoord."

Castelen's cross hit a Willem II defender and sailed over the unlucky Zois (the Tilburg keeper). The waiting De Guzman reacted gratefully, and with a simple header scored his first goal and the first of the match for Feyenoord.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

From the report:

"Twee minuten erna nam Castelen opnieuw de hoofdrol op zich bij een Rotterdamse aanval. De voorzet van de aanvaller werd door een Willem II-verdediger aangeraakt en zeilde over de ongelukkige Zois. De attente De Guzman reageerde dankbaar, kopte simpel binnen en maakte zo zijn eerste treffer in het eerste van Feyenoord."

Castelen's cross hit a Willem II defender and sailed over the unlucky Zois (the Tilburg keeper). The waiting De Guzman reacted gratefully, and with a simple header scored his first goal and the first of the match for Feyenoord.

Got some more reactions and these guys are full of praise for Jonathan,they claim he should be the men of the match and in fact he opened the score in the 9th minute.Apparently he is considered the best midfielder on this team.

I also received an e-mail from my Dutch contact and his son is the guru in players agents in Holland as well as in Europe.I am waiting for a report.

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

USA vs Canada. Freddy Adu vs Jonathan DeGuzman. WYC 2007. Mark it down on your calendars!

Just imagine the media we would get.Jonathan with his record already in place could be the best ever media story as well as Freddy and the comparing of the two.

Reading the additionalm comments from my Dutch friends,Jonathan is being compared to Denny Landzaat who plays for Holland and AZ. These guys think that Jonathan is better technically,as well as a better defender and his passes are rated as the best on the Feyenoord team. I guess he is stealing the hi-lites from his brother,some competition eh.

I dearly hope you are right to see them both play here in Canada,with Jonathan playing for Canada. I hope that his brother may talk him into this.

I am confused by your post. Both soccernet and livescore have Kalou and Castelen as scorers of the first two Feyenoord goals. And livescore has Paauwe scoring the third.

Go to the Feyenoord web and supporters site and follow the excitement Jonathan is creating,mindboggling stuff.They even have an English section. www.feyenoord.nl

Well, I see Soccernet has it corrected now. Great to see. And I will join in to say that he should join his brother to be capped asap. Not only because he scored but because he is playing regularly.

The expectations in Holland are that he might choose the Dutch,although they are polite enough to not claim him outright.They also still question his experience playing on this top international level.He is being compared with some of the finest Dutch internationals. They also believe that if the MLS were interested in him he may choose the glamour of the European club competitions afterall.

I get a sneaky feeling that he still may choose Canada. I just think that given the opportunity to play along his brother, whom he admires so much, that this may be the one reason he will stay Canadian and play for Canada.

Well hopefully he'll decide to play alongside his older brother. I will be devasted if he choses Holland... but could see his reasonings, such as better competition, better opportunity to play in the World Cup, convenient location, etc.

Is there a country that he has indicated he wanted to play for? I know recently he said his heart lies in Canada, but I've heard that one before ;).

Guest Georgio

It would just be so unfortunate if he chose Holland. Being that soccer is the highest participation sport in Canada, a player of his caliber could really make a difference in bringing soccer to the next level. Not to mention, he would be surrounded by a strong team here. Players like Stalteri and Atiba could actually play for Holland in my opinion. With the depth of youth players emerging for the YWC in 2007, he could chose to make a real measured difference for Canada in 2007 and beyond. If he really wanted to make an impact on the world stage and have the most impact for one country, I could see carrying Canada to the 2010 World Cup as being more rewarding nationally and internationally then playing for a country with an already established rich and successfull soccer culture. He'd play along side his brother and they would battle together in a truly inspiring story about two extremely talented and determined Canadian brothers. Not knowing how far Julian and Jonathan could have gone playing along side one another in the World Cup would always be an unanswered question.

Just imagine if the younger De Guzman decided to join Canada our starting lineup would give any national team fits.

Gk Fernandes

Lb Simpson

Cb Edgar

Cb Klukowski

Rb Ledgerwood

Lm De Jong

Cm Julian De Guzman

Cm Hutchinson

Rm Peters

Am Jonathan De Guzman

St Kevin Mckenna

That would be one heck of a lineup in a few years time when Ledgerwood, Edgar start playing first team and Peters and De Jong continue their development.

Couldn't have said it better than Georgio's post.

One thing that hasn't come up though, is when he "outgrows" Holland. Unlike the Whore in Germany (playing for England), I can see where Jon can have a loyalty to the training and home Holland offered him. But will this still be an issue when he (if he is as good as we think he is) graduates to one of the Big Four. Holland will then become just another stop on the map, or not, if he has really developed a love and loyalty for the country.

I think that in many ways if de Guzman were to choose Holland, his international career may match that of Owen Hargreaves. The Dutch have tremendous depth at all positions, and unless de Guzman emerges to be a real star, he could easily get lost in the shuffle after a handful of international matches. For Canada, should he choose to accept them, he would be called to nearly every match.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

Couldn't have said it better than Georgio's post.

One thing that hasn't come up though, is when he "outgrows" Holland. Unlike the Whore in Germany (playing for England), I can see where Jon can have a loyalty to the training and home Holland offered him. But will this still be an issue when he (if he is as good as we think he is) graduates to one of the Big Four. Holland will then become just another stop on the map, or not, if he has really developed a love and loyalty for the country.

I just read that they expect Jonathan to be invited to the Dutch National team training. I have no idea how this works or could he play,change Nationalities etc,but this is the word sofar.

I will keep you posted.

I've been talking to a few feyenoord supporters and they claim that he's said he wants to play for holland.

The good news for us is that the dutch are really deep in youth. Half of the players on their WYC team play for the World Cup squad. Hopefully that'll convince him to choose the country he can gain a regular spot on.

Remember when these discussions were about a guy named Peters? I get the feeling his mystique has faded slightly. You guys are getting me all exicted about the 1-2 punch. But nonetheless its certainly possible he will choose Canada. Just compare it to Brett Hull, born in Canada but chose the USA. Why? because Canada was too deep, he couldnt crack the squad, now look at the guy. It was probably the best decision of his life.

Archived