Jonathan De Guzman

john tv

quote:Originally posted by Alex

Remember when these discussions were about a guy named Peters?

Peters was a promissing prospect who was looked at by many teams. He's a regular sub in the CCC.

DeGuzman was the captain of the best Dutch (known for academies) U19 team last season... at 17! He was named best player and was top scorer, as a midfielder. He has graduated apparently seamlessly to the senior team, a team that has won the UEFA Cup (recently, I know Ipswich did in the past) and is among the Big 3 in Holland. He is being compared by the Dutch themselves to some of their best ever internationals and (not necessarily true) rumours have him called up to train with the Dutch national team.

No comparison.

And thank God for once he isn't a defensive midfielder or defender!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Saviola7

Even more interesting is that I grew up in Pickering and my parents still live there! [8D]

Weird stuff. I may have coached you.Did you play for the PSC and if so what year etc.

What are you doing in Leiden anyway.

It's quite an historic town and one of the top universities around.

What's your favourate team, you are sort of in the middle of most of them.

have fun!

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Weird stuff. I may have coached you.Did you play for the PSC and if so what year etc.

What are you doing in Leiden anyway.

It's quite an historic town and one of the top universities around.

What's your favourate team, you are sort of in the middle of most of them.

have fun!

Actually, I really only played house league when I lived in Whitby in elementary school. When we moved to pickering, my interest waned and I played football for my high school save one year in soccer when I had favourable eleigibility.

I moved here about 5 months ago to start a PhD at Leiden. I've joined a bottom division (and I mean very bottom) club here, so that's lots of fun ....

I don't know who to cheer for. My mother's family who live here all support Ajax, but they're terrible this year and Feyenoord has JdG. My father's roots are Frisian, so I'm tempted to support Heerenveen just to stick out though ;)

When did you come to Canada? Who did/do you support here?

quote:Originally posted by Saviola7

Actually, I really only played house league when I lived in Whitby in elementary school. When we moved to pickering, my interest waned and I played football for my high school save one year in soccer when I had favourable eleigibility.

I moved here about 5 months ago to start a PhD at Leiden. I've joined a bottom division (and I mean very bottom) club here, so that's lots of fun ....

I don't know who to cheer for. My mother's family who live here all support Ajax, but they're terrible this year and Feyenoord has JdG. My father's roots are Frisian, so I'm tempted to support Heerenveen just to stick out though ;)

When did you come to Canada? Who did/do you support here?

I came to Canada in 1960. At that time I was an ADO fan.Since, I defected to Ajax,simply because they really changed the game of soccer. In 1974 I became a Dutch team fan and they sure gave me some of the greatest moments in my life. In 1984 I was responsible for bringing Ajax over here and that gave me the great opportunity to get to know some of the greatest players in the world on a very personal basis.

I was also very much involved with the Dutch team in 1994 when I was put in charge while here in Toronto.

They invited me to come along to the States and had an amazing blast.

All that stuff I have done in soccer can all be traced back to Johan Cruyff, he inspired me greatly.

I am still involved in the game and enjoy every moment.Anyway have fun in Leiden,it is truly anamazing city with so much history and so many old buildings,anyway I am sure you are having a great time and let me know when you come back here. A P.H.D in what subject?

I did sent out a bunch of releases to the various media some time ago, I guess they are now realizing that this soccer stuff is for real and are looking for Canadian soccer stories. Makes me feel good, have not lost my magic if it was me that got it going.

Holy Cow,was approached by the Mirror about the brothers.They are going to do an extensive story about them.I just wish I had "father"Bob De Guzman's homer phone number.This is a great Canadian Soccer story. I will do my utmost to get this out.

I wish you guys could read Dutch and follow the Chat lines. Our boy is looked upon as the second Van Peresie and some of these guys rate him higher.They all think he is Dutch team material.All of them rate him as the best midfield player and even the best on the team.I guess in the future all chatlines will be geared to translate into any language you like. What an idea!

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

Couldn't have said it better than Georgio's post.

One thing that hasn't come up though, is when he "outgrows" Holland. Unlike the Whore in Germany (playing for England), I can see where Jon can have a loyalty to the training and home Holland offered him. But will this still be an issue when he (if he is as good as we think he is) graduates to one of the Big Four. Holland will then become just another stop on the map, or not, if he has really developed a love and loyalty for the country.

[:0]

I saw the picture of Wenger in the Feyenoord stands on Dutch television and although it made no reference to Jonathan I assumed he was being scouted as well. One of the latest signings by the Gunners was Van Persie who also came from Feyenoord.

Feyenoord tied 0-0 today.I did not get a match report that made any reference to Jonathan although he played the whole game.

• 10 months later...

It's been very quiet on the Jonathan de Guzman issue. Rob Friend who plays for Heerenveen in Holland said in an interview today that he would love to see Jono in a red shirt.

Here are some quotes..

''It would be a great loss for Canada if Jonathan decided not play for Canada. Football in Canada is getting more and more popular every day and that also shows in the number of Canadians who are making a name for themselves in Europe''

''A big problem is that many Canadians who play outside Canada for years only think about their own career. Good example of that is Owen Hargreaves , He has lived in Canada for 17 years but plays for England. I understand that it is interesting for players to play for a bigger country but it's devastating for Canadian football''

''The last time Canada qualified for the World Cup was in 86. It's very important that we qualify ourselves again for such a tournament. But that's only possible if we can keep hold of our best players''

''Do I ever talk about this with Jonathan ?? No I dont , but I do with his brother Julian when we meet for the national team. Julian plays in Spain with Deportivo and we talk a lot about Jonathan. I keep trying to convince Julian that his little brother has too choose for Canada. But again I do understand the dilemma for Jonathan. If he purely thinks about his own career then Holland is more interesting , because realistically with Holland you have more chance of reaching the World Cup than with Canada''

Link to the interview (in Dutch) : http://www.fcupdate.nl/news.php?newsID=44757

At the end of the week they will post all of the interview with Rob Friend. This is just a preview..

spacer.gif

If you have never seen Jonathan de Guzman or heard him speak there is an video interview with him in Dutch below. It was taken at the end of last season and has been posted here once before...

http://www.planet.nl/planet/show/id=69156/contentid=697520/sc=f3a8ff

Then click on ADSL...

If you want to see the 2 goals of Jonathan so far this season click on the link below and then click on his name.

http://www.frgoals.nl/index.php?pagina=goals/index

The goal vs Excelsior doesnt work yet. If you want to see it click on the link below and skip until 1:00 where you can see the build up and the goal.

http://www.frgoals.nl/index.php?pagina=goals/samenvatting

Sorry, I don't buy the career disadvantage in playing for Canada.

Yes, having a european passport is important. But if a professional career is about acheiving the highest level of club play possible and earning money, I doubt the national team you choose to play for has much of an impact.

Jonathan, think Steve Nash. I doubt there is a Dutch player that does better in promotional opportunities.

If your sole career goal is to play in a World Cup final tournament, the chances may be better when playing with a higher-ranked nation. It's true that the Netherlands might have the advantage for 2010 but the advantage is not that clear for 2014 and 2018 at this early stage because so much can happen before then.

Archived