Jonathan De Guzman

john tv

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Typical response. Hard to see any kind of light with your head up your behind. I support the players but have a hard time being optimistic of our chances with no coach in sight, players dropping out of the program left and right, some of the remaining players OPENLY dissing the only f*ing item the CSA seems to have any passion for, support in major centres outside Toronto waning away, etc. etc. But you find reasons to be optimistic. The only thing on the rise is your post count.

It seems so very hard to generate that feeling that exist in europe. I remember as a little kid we saw action just about every week from a different country in a variety of sports. it was and still is so easy to go to another country. For me maybe two hours to Germany,1 or 2 to Belgium,Franve etc still easy to reach. so you are brought up knowing all these natioonalities and in fact fear them all.Never took anything for granted and that applied to any sport.

Over in canada we are so far removed from foreign competition and other than the states, forget it.

So all these factors come into play, we are to big. i guess the ideal solution would be to make every province and every state their own country,that would solve some of tese issues but that would be ridiculous anyway.

Yap Canada in many ways is to big and Europe is very lucky.

Well one thing I am in agreement on with Ed is the need for a good coach. I think this is the most important thing right now. I am tired of seeing year after year of us underachieving and we need someone who can get the maximum out of our players. I could live with Mitchell because I think he has done well with the U-20s but would still prefer someone of more stature and international experience and success.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Typical response. Hard to see any kind of light with your head up your behind. I support the players but have a hard time being optimistic of our chances with no coach in sight, players dropping out of the program left and right, some of the remaining players OPENLY dissing the only f*ing item the CSA seems to have any passion for, support in major centres outside Toronto waning away, etc. etc. But you find reasons to be optimistic. The only thing on the rise is your post count.

I couldn't give a sh*t what you think. I'll be there supporting Canada in 2010.

A few thoughts from a passionate supporter of 10 years

Aside from getting 1 MLS team and getting 1 national stadium in Toronto, what is there to get excited about right now with Canadian soccer? Everyone knows the problems that wont disappear: a huge, scarcely populated country, fierce competition from other sports, a general lack of interest in soccer outside of grass roots kids participation, no professional league. What is the cause of optimism right now? Young pro's in scandinavia, holland and a few more scattered around Europe, who, if become sucessful enough, seem to defect sometimes. I think the implmentation of National Training Centers under Osieck was a good idea to identify and train young talent, but these can;t produce pro quality pro's on their own.

If we couldnt build on that Gold cup victory im not sure what we can do. The budget is being screamed at as being the main culpret for our mens program's lack of success, but what can we do? Id love to get a report of the CSA's finances to see where money is allocated. Hell Id love to be able to pick over it with a fine tooth comb to see where all the money from player registration from across the country goes and see if we can't make some changes.

I think a reason some of the Central American countries are enjoying a bit more consistency is because they arrange quite a few friendliess, and dont spend much on womens programs, where as if you look at our womens team they play in quite a few friendlys and tournaments, but then again I guess we live in a country of equality Plus having their own leagues, its easy for the central americans to gather everyone for friendliess, but then again look at Costa Rica who have quite a few players in Europe right now in italy and Spain. They face challanges like us in gathering players. It seems as we all know our u20 teams have had success in the past. Remember when they took Spain to extra time in the quarter final. Iniesta who was on the spanish team is now a starter for Barca with the likes of Ronaldinho while our players either play college, A- league or have real jobs, why? because they had no high level league to play in after. Imagine if they all had a chance to play at a high pro level after, maybe even an Arrango or someone else could have stuck. This u20 World cup is a great idea and will go a long way to delivering soccer exposure in this country.

Based on my limited experience, my way to help fix this country's soccer fortune's and especially the Mens National teams would be to:

1. Fire Kevin Pipe immediatly. Replace him with someone who has:

A) vast soccer experience at a pro or national soccer association level

B) a strong business backround.

We need in my opinion, an innovator with ties and contacts in other counties who can put connections and experience to work.

2. The MLS in Toronto IS NOT A BAD IDEA if you think about it. Canada is just too big and scarcely populated for a real league right now. If Toronto does well, maybe a Montreal could join in the near future. Imagine having 2 MLS teams along with maybe youth academies getting high level exposure would be fantastic. Imagine all of our young players in Europe playing right now ALONG WITH a base of 15 Canadians playing in the MLS, that would be fantastic. In my opinion our mens program would jump by leaps and bounds, we would be the favorite for the #3 spot. We could have friendles here in Toronto and not have to call in European players, thus not jeapardizing their club careers, and not creating a conflict with young players Holger Osieck style. Just think after another successful u20 world cup quarterfinal 5 kids returning to their MLS teams to continue playing.

3. I know we have a new national Stadium, but, do unto others as they would do onto you. Play some WQC's in places like Newfoundland, and Edmonton during freezing conditions to gain an advantage, the Central Americans do it with their heat and altitude(mexico azteca)People from Central Canada can't imagine how hostile a Newfoundland crowd would be to a foriegn team. Call it racist or however yoyu see, because their all white "British origin" Canadians or whatever you want but the truth is games in Toronto or Montreal will always be away games for Canada. Plus playing games in other parts of the country would be huge for the soccer communities. Mid level size cities embrace these type of events and really support them, unlike big cities who don't give a **** and fail to generate any buzz within the city at all for mid sized events. If Halifax lands the commonwealth games, and have a stadium have a game there. You could easily get 10-15 k in St Johns. The senior national finals a few years got 10 k for the final. Playing in Toronto or Montreal is not intimitating to an opponent, we all know it.

4.The CSA should try to develop relationships with European clubs similar to the one the OSA has with Everton. I know it's a budgeting issue, but somehow getting pro coaches to come over for periods to work with certain programs for a few weeks at a time or run programs for a few months. In return there could be marketing considerations etc etc. Manchester United's training academy in South Africa would be the long term type end product years down the road.

5. Have Toronto FC host a mini tournament every year. Look at what happened to some of our players when Milwall came calling after they played a few games here and saw we werent lumberjacks. Im not talking about Real Madrid or anything, but maybe a lower english premier league team(ie a Charlton type size club) A mid level dutch club, that kind of thing.

I'm just trying to put some ideas out there, anything....

And thanks as some of those ideas are excellent. I wish someone with some vision was involved in running the game here. Why for exampele can't we have a Bradenton type environment? We are not a 3rd world country.

quote:Originally posted by Soccerpro

Aside from getting 1 MLS team and getting 1 national stadium in Toronto, what is there to get excited about right now with Canadian soccer?

I'm not getting excited about the stadium nor MLS by the way.

But here goes: WCQ 2008, GC 2007, WYC 2007 (in Canada!), OQ 2009.

Where'd all the dreamers go? Pessimism ain't any fun.

Canada 2010! Come on JDG2 don't listen to the nay sayers they've got sand in their vaginas that Kevan Pipe put there but just listen to Rob Friend! Tomasz Radzinski! These guys are IN THE VERY PROGRAM OF WHICH WE SPEAK and they are STAYING POSITIVE!

I hear you, but the problem is one of density, not overall population. If the entire population of Canada lived in Ontario, then a league would have a much better shot. Travel costs--and travel time--alone, make a viable league a massive challenge in this country. Not to say that we should simply give up. We must need different solutions.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

not to be picky, but ontario alone is as populated a portugal...and quebec is as big as most scandinavian countries.

Not to be picky, but Ontario is more than 10 times bigger than Portugal while Canada is more than 100 times the size of Portugal. Quebec is bigger than all four Scandanavian countries put together with less than a third of the population.

In an interview with a Dutch publication Jonathan indicated that getting a Dutch pasport would be no problem at all. He also revealed that his brother Julian after having played with Canada ,he now sits on the bench. Traveling seems to be a problem.Jonathan also indicated that he would like to play for Holland.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Not to be picky, but Ontario is more than 10 times bigger than Portugal while Canada is more than 100 times the size of Portugal. Quebec is bigger than all four Scandanavian countries put together with less than a third of the population.

99% of the people who live in ontario are in an area no bigger than portugal...same with quebec...i cant see any teams going in Kuujjuaq or Fort Hope.

i dont get the density as an excuse...are the players walking between cities?

countries the size of toronto (denmark) have good leagues....nevermind countries of 33 million, the 35th largest in the world...population is not an excuse.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

In an interview with a Dutch publication Jonathan indicated that getting a Dutch pasport would be no problem at all. He also revealed that his brother Julian after having played with Canada ,he now sits on the bench. Traveling seems to be a problem.Jonathan also indicated that he would like to play for Holland.

He also said that the travelling was difficult and that it was not properly arranged by the CSA. Also the Canadian friendlies/qualifiers are not scheduled to an european schedule which would make him not available for League/European games with Feyenoord.

I also don't think that playing for Canada has put Julian on the bench. I remember something about that happening when he was at Marseille? It was a french team right? But the fact that he played for Canada wouldn't keep him on the bench if he had something to add. I think it s more that the Spanish league does not suit his style. Playing for Canada didn't seem to keep him on the bench at Hannover.

quote:Originally posted by hottoddy7

I also don't think that playing for Canada has put Julian on the bench. I remember something about that happening when he was at Marseille? It was a french team right? But the fact that he played for Canada wouldn't keep him on the bench if he had something to add. I think it s more that the Spanish league does not suit his style. Playing for Canada didn't seem to keep him on the bench at Hannover.

I agree. Playing for Costa Rica didn't put Wanchope on the bench at Malaga. What has put DeGuzman on the bench is mediocre and inconsistent play since moving to Spain, a faster and stronger league than the Bundesliga. Admittedly, if you are a player on the bubble, missing several days of training for an international doesn't help your case but playing for Canada was not what put JDG on the bubble with Deportivo in the first place.

I think it "might" be fair to say that for some players playing in Europe who also play for national sides in North America, that the travel etc poses a real challenge for them when it comes to maintaining a starting position with their club. the travel, the fatigue etc certainly play a role. But the Wanchope example points something out: The truly very talented are capable of meeting the challenge. Sort of suggests that Julian is not as talented as required to do both--and Jonathan--which may or may not be true.

Archived