Stad. Discussion, TO City Council- October 27 On

Guest Dave

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its time to stop fretting over the naysayers. The fact of the matter is that most of the complaints have come from a few isolated jerks who no-one really pays attention to. The stadium vote doesn't seem to be making any overall headwaves in Toronto. On radio station CFRB, which has much more listeners then the FAN, the stadium issue hasn't even been raised during any of their call-in talk segments. Even on the Stars website, who seem to be anti-stadium, if you click on 'Most Emailed Articles', neither of their two stadium articles are there. I think its time to relax.

Bring on the 2007 WYC!

I think its time to stop fretting over the naysayers. The fact of the matter is that most of the complaints have come from a few isolated jerks who no-one really pays attention to. The stadium vote doesn't seem to be making any overall headwaves in Toronto. On radio station CFRB, which has much more listeners then the FAN, the stadium issue hasn't even been raised during any of their call-in talk segments. Even on the Stars website, who seem to be anti-stadium, if you click on 'Most Emailed Articles', neither of their two stadium articles are there. I think its time to relax.

Bring on the 2007 WYC!

quote:Originally posted by Dave

The latest piece of tripe from Dave Jerkins. Hey buddy, feel an ulcer coming on yet?

I find it hilarious that just last month Jerkins wrote an article supporting the possibility that MLSE might bring an NFL team to Toronto.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1130449805694&call_pageid=1044529386722&col=1044529386490

Just spoke to Jerkins and invited him to the do., he even sounded interested and I told him I would sent him an invite.Anyway he sure has it in for soccer. Claims that the media in Toronto have given more coverage to soccer than any other sport.Feels that the Leafs are using Tax p money. Does not believe that soccer is going to take of. wondered why this tournament could not have used the Rogers Centre.

I could not get one word in and finally decided to agree with him just to find out who he really was and is.

He has no use for soccer, feels that this is shoved down the throat by the Leafs. Wondered if 20000 would be enough. I told him that the u-20 in Holland was held in smaller stadiums with a maximum of around 20000 spectators. He said would the soccer people be happy with this figure. i suggested that the ACC holds a maximum of 20000 and that this applies to basketball as well. He said these are indoor sports. tried to figure this one out but he would not discuss this. He said this is apples and oranges.???

He did remember me and asked for my input is it going to be succesfull this time and I said with the proper media support yes.

Refused to accept this and when I tried to explain hoow difficult it was to get the media to write a story prior to a Blizzard game he would not respond.

He seemed very set in his ways,said that the Jays are setting attendance records.

Tried to explain the good side of soccer,idols etc. Would not listen to my story about our players playing abroad.

Anyway he is dead set against soccer, thinks the tax payer got robbed and strongle believes it is going to be a dud.

I guess you knew his reasons anyway, just interesting to listen and experience this animosity against soccer again.

Very strange.

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

BTW, can someone post a map or overhead photo to show where the stadium will be built and in relation to what's nearby. I have a good idea but it's been a bit since I was in Toronto and have lost my bearings a little bit.

Cheers.

closemap.gif

That's from the Ex's web site. It's fairly close to the downtown core. For instance, by car on the average day it's only 5-10 minutes from the old Varsity sight. On the map you can see the GO rail lines that run right by/through the park.

So yeah, it's not a long haul at all from all of the downtown attractions. All of those things are easily accessed by transit. You'll see Bathurst running north to south at the bottom of the map. The next major street east of there is Spadina (Skydome, CN Tower, Chinatown), and a couple blocks east of there is Yonge.

As for bars right at the stadium I'm not really sure. I can't picture much at the Bathurst/Lakeshore intersection other than the Princess Gates and the park on the lake. It's nothing like Varsity where you were on the U of T campus @ University & Bloor with all the bars. From a entertainment point of view it's still better than Downsview though.

Otherwise it's a breeze to get to from the Brampton/Mississauga/Oakville suburbs, which translates into roughly 1.2 million people. It should be a good site.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Just spoke to Jerkins and invited him to the do., he even sounded interested and I told him I would sent him an invite.

Did you tell him that if he show's up he's likely to get lynched? Honestly, I'm not sure why we would want him there. Doesn't sound like the type who's going to change his mind.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Did you tell him that if he show's up he's likely to get lynched? Honestly, I'm not sure why we would want him there. Doesn't sound like the type who's going to change his mind.

I was being my friendly Dutch again, the more the marrier.Yes I am sure he realizes that he is lyching material and I am sure he has alianated more than just the soccer people.

If he were to show up he will do his damnest to convert us to hating soccer as much as he does, so he maybe on a mission,who knows.

Ignoring the anti-soccer ignoramuses is probably a better idea than trying to convince any of them anything remotely soccer-related is worth their while.

In fact, you can get sucked into the typical debate or confrontation that ends up looking bad on the sport and its fans. Just walk away and let them dwell in their miserable and intentional ignorance.

Honestly guys, I think it is a mistake to invite Perkins and his ilk. This should be a celebration, not a confrontation. He will probably just ruin everyone's fun.

quote:Originally posted by Dave

Honestly guys, I think it is a mistake to invite Perkins and his ilk. This should be a celebration, not a confrontation. He will probably just ruin everyone's fun.

You are right Dave,I invited him just to see his reaction and it seemed to me that he was interested in coming.So I guess he won't be there. This is indeed a celebration of the utmost importance and the last thing we need is a soccer lynching mob,just to bad we can't tell this pric how screwed up he is.Just imagine the headlines!

Sorry!

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

So where is Robert on this day of celebration?

We've already seen pearls of wisdom from DoyleG and G Man, why not make it a troll trifecta, Robert?

Congratulation Toronto on getting through all the red tape and finally getting the stadium approved. It appears that there are many who are taking it for granted that the awarding of a MLS team is now but a mere formality. They are probably right. Hopefully the construction of the stadium will be something that goes according to plan, and that it is completed in time for the World Youth Championship in 2007, and that there will be no cost over runs. Soccer fans in the Big Canadian City will now get the opportunity to show all how many of you there really are? At the end of the second season the numbers should bear the truth (how many of those 20,000 seats will be filled at MLS prices when the initial novelty wears off and the team is confronted with challenges on and off the field). Personally, the greatest gain out of all of this is that I no longer feel that I am alone in my crusade in speaking out against the ineptness of Kevan Pipe. Leaders of the three Canadian professional soccer clubs have all publically voiced their dissapproval at the lack of consideration and vision Kevan has once again shown when it comes to the total Canadian soccer picture. Of course Kevan knowns what's better than the hands on people in Canadian soccer. Time will tell, and more than likely if things do go sour, the rat will have abandonned ship long before. Mark those words, my friend Rudi. In the meantime, enjoy your stadium, your future MlS team, and the upcoming WYC games that will be played there. It is a great day for Toronto, yet again, what kind of day will it turn out to be for Canada?

quote:Originally posted by Robert

It appears that there are many who are taking it for granted that the awarding of a MLS team is now but a mere formality. They are probably right.

They are. Thats why Don garber issued the October 31 deadline. This offer to Toronto was that if we approved the stadium by Oct 31 we get a team. If we didnt the offer was "off the table".

quote:Originally posted by Robert

Of course Kevan knowns what's better than the hands on people in Canadian soccer. Time will tell, and more than likely if things do go sour, the rat will have abandonned ship long before.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly, but are you trying to say that should this show signs of failure, that Kevan Pipe will abandon ship?

You do realize how long Pipe has (rightly or wrongly) been with the CSA, right? Those weren't exactly high times, either.

what i don't understand about these supposedly sports writers/newscasters is they work in the general field of SPORTS!! they deem themselves to be sports writers but if you start picking and choosing which sport you like and dislike, then you are just a sports writer for that sport alone and not the whole entire spectrum. i mean, these guys only follow NHL, NFL, MLB and Maybe NBA, with some golf and thats it. if you don't know anything about the sport, don't comment on it. if your articles are negative and ONLY negative, then why should anyone listen to these people.

Like Russell Peters puts it, someone's gonna get a hurt. All you need is some wacko soccer fan attacking these guys and the sport falls into disrepute.

quote:Originally posted by Franky

what i don't understand about these supposedly sports writers/newscasters is they work in the general field of SPORTS!! they deem themselves to be sports writers but if you start picking and choosing which sport you like and dislike, then you are just a sports writer for that sport alone and not the whole entire spectrum. i mean, these guys only follow NHL, NFL, MLB and Maybe NBA, with some golf and thats it. if you don't know anything about the sport, don't comment on it. if your articles are negative and ONLY negative, then why should anyone listen to these people.

Like Russell Peters puts it, someone's gonna get a hurt. All you need is some wacko soccer fan attacking these guys and the sport falls into disrepute.

I agree with your last part completely. Don't let these guys bait you or anyone you know with their baloney. Just ignore them or be above them in terms of tact.

I think that when these people continue on with negative after negative, it will eventually wear thin with their already slim marketshare or readership. After a while most people (well, the one's we'd want to associate with anyways) will simply tune out and stop reading.

In addition, the best way to dispute their claims isn't with words, but with action including forming a very friendly, inclusive supporters group that appeals to the hardcores but is also tolerant of the others who are in the stadium that will make or break the success of this team. Essentially Ultras or whatevers that are nuts for their team but want all the other demographics to show up so you can continue to be nuts for you team for years to come.

Although MLSE has marketing dollars and access, all the soccer fans are walking, talking marketing machines that can bring the needed support in with passion and enthusiasm rather than the piss and vinegar the opponents seem to be opting to use.

Let them be exclusive and let soccer be inclusive. I know which group I'd rather side with.

This is a public service message. :D

This was posted in the National teams section due to its mention of Canada getting offered the 2009 Gold Cup (which we'd be idiots not to take) but it also belongs here.

City leaps into unknown

By KEN FIDLIN, TORONTO SUN

During more than four hours of passionate debate, Kevan Pipe's body language was the only gauge anyone needed to judge the tone of the argument.

Pipe, the CEO of the Canadian Soccer Association, and arguably the individual with the most to lose if city council voted down a stadium deal that melds three levels of government with Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd., was living and dying on every word.

"It's been three years, one month and 28 days coming together, but who's counting," a much-relieved Pipe said just moments after city council voted 25-13 to kick in $9.8 in cash and land worth $10 million to build a 20,000-seat stadium that will be the centrepiece of the FIFA World Under-20 championship in 2007.

"The face of our sport in Canada has just changed in the last 15 minutes," said Pipe. "The Mayor was right when he said this is about vision-building. We're bringing the world to Toronto. A billion people will be watching on TV and thousands more will come to the city.

"And that's just the start. We've been offered the 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup and we're going after the 2011 Women's World Cup."

There were times, though, through the lengthy debate that Pipe looked as if he might be in need of a tall building to jump off when the results were in.

While the project had the unflagging support of Mayor David Miller and his deputy Joe Pantalone, who had fast-tracked the project over the last two weeks, many councillors were bitterly opposed on a variety of levels.

Some objected to the public sector jumping into bed with MLSEL, very much a free-enterprise operation. For others, this hasty process comes to soon after the findings of the Bellamy report in the wake of the city hall computer scandal.

"This is so wrong," Scarboro-Agincourt councillor Mike DelGrande said. "It's so bad, that as a forensics auditor, I would have to question this deal. There's nothing in writing on anything.

"How come this project didn't go through a regular process? Is this open and transparent? How can you make it open and transparent by not allowing anyone else in to bid?"

Beyond that others, like Etobicoke's Rob Ford wondered how Toronto could even consider this project, given its fragile financial situation.

"This is a sucker stadium, not a soccer stadium," Ford said. "We are going to lose our shirts."

In addition to the city's $19.8 million commitment of money and land, the federal government has committed $27 million, and the Ontario government $8 million. MLSEL is in for $8 million and will market the naming rights for an anticipated $10 million.

Even though MLSEL, which will build and manage the stadium, has accepted responsibility for any construction over-runs and has agreed to share any profits and will swallow the first $250,000 of any operating losses, many in the room maintained a healthy dose of skepticism.

"This is a bad process that produced a bad deal for the city and its taxpayers," councillor Sylvia Watson said.

Many councillors favoured deferring the issue for more study but that effectively would have killed the deal. Major League Soccer conveniently had imposed a deadline for the end of the month on MLSEL's tentative agreement to get an expansion franchise. And FIFA, the world governing body of soccer, has been breathing down Pipe's neck for months now, worried that facilities were not going to be up to snuff for the world under-20 championship.

In the gallery, Pipe was confident at the start of the debate that the project already had enough committed votes. But as the day progressed, he sensed more opposition than he had expected.

"I've not experienced this before, so I didn't know what to think," he said. "You just never know how it's going to turn out."

And that's what haunted many of the councillors last evening. They don't know how it's going to turn out. Perhaps Howard Moscoe said it best.

"I'm leery about public-private projects which inevitably become public-pirate projects," he said.

I think it's important to differentiate between sports writers and columnists. Columnists are supposed to spark debate and take sides. It's a totally different animal from reporting. The theory is that real black and white stands get people all riled up either way and that sells newspapers. Given the response to some of the articles, I don't disagree with that notion despite how lame (and factually ignorant) some of the columns have been.

cheers,

matthew

soo, are these guys considered columnists??? sorry, not certain with the difference. so, if you call yourself a columnist, that means you can side, beotch and complain to a degree that will SELL NEWSPAPERS.

personally, i don't think thats journalism at all, thats Peoples Magazine, National Inquirer and all of the other rubbish mags that hound celebrities to their death. these guys want to talk about sports but they look for controversey. what are they trying to be JIM ROME, hi Chris Everett, yes Chris Everett, WACK!!!! well, now i am famous across America, i know sports and i talk it like a tough guy.

quote:

In addition, the best way to dispute their claims isn't with words, but with action including forming a very friendly, inclusive supporters group that appeals to the hardcores but is also tolerant of the others who are in the stadium that will make or break the success of this team. Essentially Ultras or whatevers that are nuts for their team but want all the other demographics to show up so you can continue to be nuts for you team for years to come.

This is a point that bears repeating again and again. Our passion and desire to spread the joy of soccer around will obliterate any negativity from the McClowns of the world.

i'll never forget one time McClown was taking phone calls during the last WC. one fan, said something to this nature;

"I'm not a soccer fan per say, but every bloody WC guys like you try to snag it and instead of analysing it to death like you would for American Series snoreball, or Lord Stanley's mug (my own rewording, by the way). whats with the negative angle, because of you, i actually want to watch it or follow it and hope to annoy you about soccer, only for that sake"

Archived