Stad. Discussion, TO City Council- October 27 On

Guest Dave

Mike Del Grande just mentioned the stadium (opposed).

Not actually discussing the Stadium issue yet, but Del Grande used it as an example of something taxpayers shouldn't fund while criticizing something else.

Not an encouraging sign, however as I posted earlier, Del Grande appeared to have made up his mind earlier this week that he was opposed.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just noticed that in the "green sheets" supplementary agenda, the stadium discussion is now scheduled to take place at 3 PM Eastern today. See y'all then!

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

He's opposed to everything though, so that's not a surprise. I think we still have the overall lead.

The supplementary agenda indicates that Del Grande has a "hold" on the stadium clause, which I believe means he has reserved the right to speak first on it.

ugghh....rushed home during my lunch break to find out the discussion will take place around 3pm. does anyone think there will be a final decision made or will it carry over into tomorrow's agenda??? i'm literally on pins and needles[:P]

oh well, two and a half hours to go and back to work i go :(

quote:Originally posted by Moosehead

To think Toronto wanted the Olympics, but they can't even agree on a 15,000 seat stadium for the FIFA U20 World Cup.

Well nobody is agreeing to that at all. Its a 20,000 seater, expandable to 30,000 that we hope gets the green-light.

quote:Originally posted by Moosehead

To think Toronto wanted the Olympics, but they can't even agree on a 15,000 seat stadium for the FIFA U20 World Cup.

That's what I was thinking when the York University deal fell through. These councillors don't seem to have any clue how huge an event the WYC is on the world stage, or how much influence FIFA has in the international sporting community. If Toronto blows this, it may be decades before anyone trusts them to host any major international sporting event.

Seriously, can you imagine these people being in charge of organizing the Olympics? Thank God, Toronto's bid was unsuccessful. It would have been an embarassment to the entire country.

quote:Originally posted by Saviola7

oooo ... "Use of the Scarborough Flag by the Scarborough Pipe Band" ... intense

Hey, you missed a real classic from yesterday:

Mayor: The clause is on the table.

Councillor 1: I wish to make a supplementary motion...

Councillor 2: I wish to put a hold on that...

Mayor: On the motion?

Councillor 2: Yes, on the motion.

Mayor: You can't do that, we haven't heard the motion yet.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

There are only 37 councillors there by the sounds of the voting totals.

This may be bad, since I suspect the anti-stadium councillors may feel more strongly about this than the pro-stadium ones, and so may be more motivated to be present for the vote. A high turnout is therefor preferable.

Archived