Stad. Discussion, TO City Council- October 27 On

Guest Dave

As happy as I am about this stadium, that experience, watching those municipal proceedings, was one of the most discouraging experiences of my life. The ignorance and idiocy was astonishing!

At one point, a councilor tried to reason that Centennial was more than adequate, and that it was "beautiful"! This man obviously never set foot in Centennial if he thinks it's beautiful. Even more, he starts talking about St. Mikes College football field... Here we are, preparing to usher in a stadium that will bring with it the World Youth Cup, a tournament of international proportions with a worldwide audience, and this shmuck is talking about highschool football stadiums!!!!

And we wonder why Toronto is a city lacking vision...

And what's this about the proposal being rushed? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the reason for it being rushed the political squabling that took place between the Municipal and Federal governments? If there's no time to analyze the project, it's no one's fault but their's!

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gentlemen I have been saying this for years this element in reporting has been a very big problem for soccer in general and the ownership in particular.Miss Nightingale tried to justify the media and tried to make me look like the bad guy.I have been involved more than anyone else on this board in promoting soccer and I speak from raw experience. Yes there is this elemnt that hell come or high water will say,write or broadcast anything to get rid of us.Jerkins again and again keeps fighting us as are even the ones that don't write about our game,which is probably just as bad.So the battle is on again and it will be interesting to see how powerfull the Leafs P.R guys are to get front page attention.I don't think you guys realize what is going to happen.A lot of soul searching among the editors,money versus dislikes.Advertising and space allocation.Columnist or part timers.Will the marketing guys jump on this bandwagon,will the major corporations translate registered players into equal promotions.Than there is this foreign stuff. Will canadian soccer take away the space of foreign coverage or will it stay the same and the candian content will increrase dramatically.

I am happy to see the Score be involved and my two good friends Paul and Brian are doing a great job.Anyway we are up against this strange element and as I have said for years it can be dangerous and they have been succesfull in keeping our Canadian game out of the limelight but will they be succesfull after Oct 27 2005?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a response from Joe Pantalone's office. Here is how the councillors voted on the stadium:

YES Altobello

YES Ashton

YES Augimeri

YES Bussin [Chair]

YES Cho

YES Chow

YES Cowbourne

YES Davis

YES De Baeremaeker

YES Di Giorgio

YES Filion

YES Giambrone

YES Grimes

YES Hall

YES Holyday

YES Jenkins

YES Li Preti

YES Lindsay Luby

YES Mammoliti

YES McConnell

YES Mihevc

YES Miller

YES Pantalone

YES Rae

YES Saundercook

NO Del Grande

NO Ford

NO Kelly

NO Milczyn

NO Moscoe

NO Nunziata

NO Ootes

NO Pitfield

NO Soknacki

NO Stintz

NO Thompson

NO Walker

NO Watson

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Finally got a response from Joe Pantalone's office. Here is how the councillors voted on the stadium:

YES Altobello

YES Ashton

YES Augimeri

YES Bussin [Chair]

YES Cho

YES Chow

YES Cowbourne

YES Davis

YES De Baeremaeker

YES Di Giorgio

YES Filion

YES Giambrone

YES Grimes

YES Hall

YES Holyday

YES Jenkins

YES Li Preti

YES Lindsay Luby

YES Mammoliti

YES McConnell

YES Mihevc

YES Miller

YES Pantalone

YES Rae

YES Saundercook

NO Del Grande

NO Ford

NO Kelly

NO Milczyn

NO Moscoe

NO Nunziata

NO Ootes

NO Pitfield

NO Soknacki

NO Stintz

NO Thompson

NO Walker

NO Watson

It's funny...those who voted Yes generally are the progressive councillors who are known to support the Mayor, and those who voted No generally are the conservative types who always go against the Mayor. I have a feeling that if Lastman was still Mayor and he supported the stadium project, the councillor for my ward, Jane Pittfield would have voted Yes...

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

As happy as I am about this stadium, that experience, watching those municipal proceedings, was one of the most discouraging experiences of my life. The ignorance and idiocy was astonishing!

At one point, a councilor tried to reason that Centennial was more than adequate, and that it was "beautiful"! This man obviously never set foot in Centennial if he thinks it's beautiful. Even more, he starts talking about St. Mikes College football field... Here we are, preparing to usher in a stadium that will bring with it the World Youth Cup, a tournament of international proportions with a worldwide audience, and this shmuck is talking about highschool football stadiums!!!!

And we wonder why Toronto is a city lacking vision...

Interesting, thats what had me wincing. A few of us in the audience turned to each other on several occasions with very puzzled looks on our faces and trying to contain a bust of laughter. I do recall a speech from a certain councillor ( probably the same guy) who was lauding the merits of Lamport. That was one example that I had a chance to raise with the councillor from my area, as we were talking, regarding the the ignorance out there. I questioned him, how could an elected official possibly expect Lamport to meet the standards of an event in the magnitude of the U20 WC. That was when he mentioned, the vote will be in favour of the stadium despite what was being mentioned. Sounding very much like it was a done deal.

thanks Massive Attack,

i've been searching for this piece of info, but to no avail.

now, i could write up my X-mas list with ease.:D

Actually, i will be sending a letter of thank you to each coucillor and i hope to figure a way to acknowledge their critical decision they made on that day. This decision will truly affect the future of soccer in Toronto immensely (pro, int'l, youth level and fan base, as well)

quote:Originally posted by morrison

good to see Mrs. Augimeri, from a good Italian-Canadian family, voting yes...

her kids went to my highschool.

it's too bad my concillor, Shelley Carroll didn't vote...

those Italians better support a SSS or we'll send them back to where they came from.

Talk about........

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

those Italians better support a SSS or we'll send them back to where they came from.

Talk about........

Moderators, this is clearly a blatant example of bias (possibly racism) directed toward the many Italian-Canadians who post here, and as such is contrary to our Forum guidelines. I respectfully request that G man be banned.

quote:Originally posted by Dave

Moderators, this is clearly a blatant example of bias (possibly racism) directed toward the many Italian-Canadians who post here, and as such is contrary to our Forum guidelines. I respectfully request that G man be banned.

Seconded.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Interesting, thats what had me wincing. A few of us in the audience turned to each other on several occasions with very puzzled looks on our faces and trying to contain a bust of laughter. I do recall a speech from a certain councillor ( probably the same guy) who was lauding the merits of Lamport. That was one example that I had a chance to raise with the councillor from my area, as we were talking, regarding the the ignorance out there. I questioned him, how could an elected official possibly expect Lamport to meet the standards of an event in the magnitude of the U20 WC. That was when he mentioned, the vote will be in favour of the stadium despite what was being mentioned. Sounding very much like it was a done deal.

Some (me included) happen to believe that Lamport could have been brought up to the appropriate size and standard for a lot, lot less than the $$$ being spent on Toronto's second SSS.

quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

Some (me included) happen to believe that Lamport could have been brought up to the appropriate size and standard for a lot, lot less than the $$$ being spent on Toronto's second SSS.

I was interested in the discussion on Lamport, although it was far too late by the time of the council vote. Does Lamport get used for anything these days? The location is quite decent, but soooo underused...

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

I was interested in the discussion on Lamport, although it was far too late by the time of the council vote. Does Lamport get used for anything these days? The location is quite decent, but soooo underused...

It's used. No CPSL teams use it unfortunately (of course it has Astroturf making it a poor venue) but it used for community sports. A buddy of mine plays co-ed flag football there, four games being played on four mini-fields stretching from sideline to sideline.

As for the suitability of Lamport, while it could have been enlarged, it would have meant an end to the parking lot (which would not have been large enough anyway) and in all honesty, it would have been better to blow the thing up and start over. It was the cheapest thing that could have been built (all pre-fab concrete) with very tight corridors. It just would not have done.

db

He has to take another shot at soccer and MLSE:

Finchem's PGA plan full of holes

Nov. 8, 2005. 01:00 AM

DAVE PERKINS

[deleted a huge dull column about golf (and do I feel good!)]

NOTES: The Raptors entered last night's game in last place. The Leafs are a game out of last place. The Marlies are likewise one game out of last place. Can anyone wait for Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment to get an expansion soccer team to run, too? ... One thing about those Carolina Panthers cheerleaders allegedly having sex in a bar's washroom in Tampa, then slugging it out with other patrons: they may have got rinsed by the Panthers yesterday but they'll have jobs for life with the Minnesota Vikings. ... After the way Alex Rodriguez melted down in the ALCS, the most nervous guys in this business are the baseball writers who voted A-Rod for league MVP.

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

He has to take another shot at soccer and MLSE:

Finchem's PGA plan full of holes

Nov. 8, 2005. 01:00 AM

DAVE PERKINS

[deleted a huge dull column about golf (and do I feel good!)]

NOTES: The Raptors entered last night's game in last place. The Leafs are a game out of last place. The Marlies are likewise one game out of last place. Can anyone wait for Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment to get an expansion soccer team to run, too? ... One thing about those Carolina Panthers cheerleaders allegedly having sex in a bar's washroom in Tampa, then slugging it out with other patrons: they may have got rinsed by the Panthers yesterday but they'll have jobs for life with the Minnesota Vikings. ... After the way Alex Rodriguez melted down in the ALCS, the most nervous guys in this business are the baseball writers who voted A-Rod for league MVP.

Actually, that criticism is pretty harmless IMHO...in fact that's a criticism I would likely make. None of MLSE's sports clubs appear to be on the verge of bringing home a championship, are they? (Although to be fair to the Leafs, they may be one game out of last in the division, but they are about 8th in the conference, and THAT'S what matters.)

quote:Originally posted by Metro

NOTES: The Raptors entered last night's game in last place. The Leafs are a game out of last place. The Marlies are likewise one Actually, that criticism is pretty harmless IMHO...in fact that's a criticism I would likely make. None of MLSE's sports clubs appear to be on the verge of bringing home a championship, are they? (Although to be fair to the Leafs, they may be one game out of last in the division, but they are about 8th in the conference, and THAT'S what matters.)

Not only is the bit about the Leafs misleading, when that was written the Marlies were in 4th place in their division....out of 7 teams. Not sure what he means by "one game" out of last place - does he think this is baseball? - it would be one heck of a game for 3 teams to leapfrog the Marlies, especially with the Marlies having games in hand on some of them. The only team out of the 3 that actually stinks is the Raptors.

Lets face it, the guy's an idiot.

Archived