Whitecaps' and Impact's take on MLS to Toronto

Silvio

Dreaming of and even working towards a CSL2 is a laudable objective but it will never match the MLS in terms of competitveness. MLS is the de facto pinnacle of NA achievement for Canadian players not willing or able to ply their trade outside NA, whether or not there are Canadian MLS teams. Not encouraging and supporting a Canadian entry into MLS as soon as possible is really denying Canadian players a wonderful opportunity. Worrying about draining players from our three USL entries is also quite silly. This is normal progression of players up through the lower leagues to the first division, it happens everywhere else in the world why not here too?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is taken from Tandem and is basically a translated version of a story that originally appeared in the Corriere Canadese. It's good to see that the Canadian classic of everyone protecting their little fiefdoms hasn't changes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Montreal better than Toronto, says Pinizzotto

'We are more qualified for a franchise in the MLS: we have team, spectators and a new stadium'

By Nicola Sparano

TORONTO - "I personally don't believe that they'll build the stadium. Even if they did finish it by 2007, even if there was an MLS team, it would be only another uphill race on a very difficult road. Today, Montreal more than Toronto is ready to jump into the American MLS." This is the view of Peter Pinizzotto, one of the few in Canada who live on soccer, dividing his time between the Montreal Impact bench and the Bryst International school of soccer. At the age of 50, most of which spent behind a soccer ball, Pinizzotto says: "I was born in 1950 in the province of Messina, but when I was 10 my family emigrated to Switzerland. There I entered professional team Us Bb di Bienne (Bern) and at the age of 19, before emigrating to Canada, I played three games as a professional, in a B series team."

"In Canada I always played as an attacker at centre field with many teams beginning with Toronto Italia's youth team," continues Pinizzotto. "I first met the bench, at the age of 36, with the Woodbridge Strikers, the club owned by Vaughan mayor, Michael Di Biase. My very first 'big' team was Toronto Italia which then was in the NSL, and where we triumphed.

"In 1997 they called me to the bench of Toronto's new team, Lynx, to debut in the American A League championships, then the top of North American soccer. With Lynx I established an unofficial world record for staying power as a coach: seven years. They were seven difficult years, with a team made of rope and bandages. But from that team came professional players: Stalteri (England, Tottenham), Reda (Denmark), Serioux (England, Milwaal), De Rosario (MLS, San Jose), Kolic (Norway), Posniak (Norway), to name a few."

"For the past two years," continues the coach, "I'm with the Montreal Impact where I run the bench alongside Nick De Santis. I was hired to coach alone, then De Santis had to stop playing because of an injury so Joey Saputo, in gratitude, offered him half my bench. Working with Nick is great, we have the same ideas on how to make the team play, the same philosophy. We use the rhombus formation 4-3-1-2 which maximizes the potential of our players. Last year we won the A-League medal, this year we were eliminated during the semifinals by a goal scored at the 91st minute by Seattle, which then won the title.

"In Montreal I found a very professional atmosphere, where things are run properly. And the results are evident both on the field and at the box office. We've enjoyed an average of 12,000 spectators per game and now Mister Saputo has revealed plans for a sports centre with a stadium capacity seating of 17,000 in downtown Montreal. The stadium will have natural grass, like another one used only for training. A third field will have artificial turf. The new centre should be ready towards the end of next summer. We hope to at least play our next playoff.

"I live alone in Montreal in an apartment paid for by the club. I live there from May to September because it's not worth moving my entire family. I then come to Toronto and during the winter months I teach at the soccer academy, Bryst International that has three campuses, Scarborough, Brampton and Markham. Gary Miller has been running the school for many years to great success according to the many players (about 100 in seven years) who completed university studies in the U.S. thanks to soccer grants. Some Bryst 'alumni' are now in European teams, like Julian Uccello (Sansovino, C2 Italian) and Thomas Mc Lean (Ackrington, 2ª English division).

"This is my third year as an instructor; my specific job is to observe youth programs ages 8-17, point out the best and bring them to the Top Dogs program, reserved for the potentially talented."

"The fact that there are few instructors is the reason behind the slow development of soccer in Canada," continues Pinizzotto. "Slowly we're evening out. In Toronto there are a few soccer academies that are doing a good job. I'm part of the system and claim that the more qualified instructors we have, the better it will be for Canadian soccer.

"Among the youth that I had in the team, Paul Stalteri was at the top while Robbie Aristodemo didn't perform how he was supposed to. Stalteri developed great attributes by staying four years in the minors of Werder Brema, before joining the main team. Now he plays with Tottenham which is no small deal. Dwayne De Rosario didn't have the patience to play in Europe, otherwise he too would be playing that soccer. On the other hand, he's doing great in the U.S. Aristodemo had great technical gifts, but didn't have what was needed to excel."

"A stadium in Toronto?" says Pinizzotto. "Personally I don't believe they'll end up building one. There are those who have their hearts set on soccer, such as Minister Joe Volpe, but for most the stadium is about politics. Between he who wants it rare and he who wants it well done, it'll end up not being built in time for 2007 and Toronto will miss out on the youth championship, and probably even an MLS team. As things stand, Montreal is better equipped to have an MLS team.

"Why? Because we already have a spectators base, and most importantly, players. Experience tells us that in Toronto you can't get ahead only with local talent. Every team must have at least three-four foreign of some talent. As things stand, the best Canadian players are either in Europe or with us in Montreal. To bring into a new team Canadians like Stalteri would be costly. Regardless, for soccer in Canada to progress it needs professional teams like Montreal or Vancouver today, like Toronto tomorrow, and hopefully all three in the MLS."

"The CPSL has to continue to exist," continues Pinizzotto, "but it has to raise the competitive level of its players. In comparison to when I used to coach Toronto Italia, the difference is like night and day. Will they go back to ethnic names? Great, but changing the names alone won't go far.

"Italian soccer? It's played too horizontally, and in spaces always more crowded. There is too much referee interference because everybody is marked too tightly. In this way the game is too fragmented and not very enjoyable. But in Italy great attention is given to the score, so anything is forgiven in favour of a victory. I've always been an Inter Milan fan so I'm used to disappointments. I hope that this year things are better, but if team members criticize each other, such as the Veron-Adriano case, one will never go far."

"Lippi's Italy," concludes Pinizzotto, "doesn't yet have a precise countenance. Until Lippi doesn't decide on a base formation, one can't make predictions regarding the world championships. In Germany the favoured is, of course, Brazil. The Germans, then, have Klinsmann on the bench and they're playing at home." u

Bryst International has three campuses, Brampton, Scarborough and Newmarket. Indoor courses have already begun, but registration is open. For the Elite program - 7-17 years of age - three months, once a week, $329; $800 for Top Dogs, training twice a week. For more information call: 1-866-898-8141

Publication Date: 2005-10-23

Story Location: http://www.tandemnews.com/viewstory.php?storyid=5668

They really need to stop whining.

I was wondering yuse Italians around here, I'm assuming most of you are first/second generation Canadian, do you guys read/subscribe to Corriere Canadese? Is it popular among the 1st/2nd generation? Do any 1st/2nd generation read Corriere Canadese instead of a local English-daily?

How about Tandem? I guess that's obviously aimed at the 1st/2nd generation since it's in English. Is it actually read? Does it have a place in the Italian-Canadian conscience?

quote:Originally posted by Elias

They really need to stop whining.

I was wondering yuse Italians around here, I'm assuming most of you are first/second generation Canadian, do you guys read/subscribe to Corriere Canadese? Is it popular among the 1st/2nd generation? Do any 1st/2nd generation read Corriere Canadese instead of a local English-daily?

How about Tandem? I guess that's obviously aimed at the 1st/2nd generation since it's in English. Is it actually read? Does it have a place in the Italian-Canadian conscience?

I can't speak for all Italian-Canadians, but my parents never purchased/subscribed to Corriere Canadese. It is carried by all the convience store here in Woodbridge.

Tandem is a free paper that I get delivered to my house every Friday. Its in English. It mostly discusses stuff from the Toronto and Montreal Italian communities, with some artsy fartsy stuff thrown in as well.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I would like to see the MLSE detractors name their preferred alternative to MLSE as owner/operator of an MLS club in Toronto. How about it guys, whom do you suggest, who do you think has better credentials in the pro sports entertainment arena, who else has even shown a tiny spark of interest?

Here's an idea. Have MLSE buy the lynx and get promoted into the MLS by winning the league and drawing crowds of 10k per game as the Brazilian chap has said.

Prove Toronto is worthy.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Here's an idea. Have MLSE buy the lynx and get promoted into the MLS by winning the league and drawing crowds of 10k per game as the Brazilian chap has said.

Q: Why isn't Montreal playing in MLS?

A: Because there is no promotion/relegation between USL and MLS (two completely separate leagues).

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

This is taken from Tandem and is basically a translated version of a story that originally appeared in the Corriere Canadese. It's good to see that the Canadian classic of everyone protecting their little fiefdoms hasn't changes.

And this may be the best reason why MLSE being involved is a good thing. They are not part of the "Old School" that has caused the game in this country to get bogged down in regional rivalries and soccer politics. The CSA is involved of course, but they have shown they're more than willing to sit back and let the "Raptors" take leadership of this matter.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Q: Why isn't Montreal playing in MLS?

A: Because there is no promotion/relegation between USL and MLS (two completely separate leagues).

And you wonder why soccer is still in the 1970's. Putting teams in markets like Toronto with no history of supporting the pro game.

This is the NASL Oakland Stompers all over again!

And you wonder why soccer is still in the 1970's.

Actually I've never wondered that. My calendar tells me it's 2005.

quote:Putting teams in markets like Toronto with no history of supporting the pro game.

Just because you choose to ignore it does not make it true.

Salt Lake City, unlike Toronto, actually had no history supporting pro soccer, yet they averaged about 16,000 per match in their first year despite the team being absolutely dreadful. so there goes that theory (even though it has nothing to do with Toronto, seeing as Toronto clearly does have a history of supporting the pro game).

And you wonder why soccer is still in the 1970's.

Actually I've never wondered that. My calendar tells me it's 2005.

quote:Putting teams in markets like Toronto with no history of supporting the pro game.

Just because you choose to ignore it does not make it true.

Salt Lake City, unlike Toronto, actually had no history supporting pro soccer, yet they averaged about 16,000 per match in their first year despite the team being absolutely dreadful. so there goes that theory (even though it has nothing to do with Toronto, seeing as Toronto clearly does have a history of supporting the pro game).

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

16,000 a game for a team that's the only pro team in the summer. Toronto doesn't have that luxury.

Big difference.

Actually not really. Our population is like 3 times theirs at least. Putting 4 pro teams in SLC is not the same as putting 4 in the GTA.

Again you can't understand what's in front of you.

From what he wrote, he understands very well.

Greater Toronto has a population of roughly 5 million. Salt Lake's is about a million.

Do we need to draw you a diagram?

i'm tired of good talent leaving Toronto for greener pastures.

i'm tired of poor teams fielded year after year.

i'm tired of Centennial Park in Etobicoke.

i'm tired of naucious lil' runts running around the stands for freakin donuts and disney club cheerleaders.

i'm tired of the Lynx organization for making Toronto a laughing stock around the soccer peers.

i'm tired of the Hartrells running a mediocre brand of professionalism.

i'm tired of the Hartrells nickel and diming the players.

i'm tired of the Hartrells, PERIOD!!!!!!!

i'm tired of being tired, heck, i'm probably causing you to be tired, too. LOL.

If the Lynx organization was managed more efficiently, then, MLS would be one of those situ. where i couldn't care if we got the franchise or not. But, in VCR and MTL, you have the luxury of owners and management that will stop at nothing to succeed and will put their $$$ where their mouth is.

Here in Toronto, we want something, anything, a shining glimmer of hope for respectable soccer that we can take pride in. Now, if you ask me about MLS, well....hell, when does the season ducats become available, i'll put my $$$ where it is going to be used accordingly.

I warned the Ultras and T.O. Voyageurs about how the Hartrells are causing the franchise to spiral into mediocrity esp. to what is happening on the field. I initiated my own boycott and declined on any further season tix, it broke my heart and my will, having to observe things on the outskirts and then, withdraw myself entirely from the game due to the disgust of the national team. Belize, pfff.

The Americans catapulted themselves into leaders in our regions after the advent of '94 WC and creating the MLS. Where is Canada standing now???? 100th or something, come on, get effin REAL!

Vcr and Mtl are well deserving of an MSL franchise including Rochester and maybe, throw in Portland. It is just a matter of time and for god sakes, think big and progressive. New stadias are a start and it is only a matter of time that they will hold MLS franchises.

NOTE!!!!!! Don't you find it IRONIC that Saputo is crying about the CSA siding with MLSE in the attempts to acquire an MLS franchise. When Saputo, himself, got approval from the CSA back in 1993 to apply to the APSL at the time. Bobby and Karsten followed suit and the CSL, which i would say produced a good crop of players and had strong showing for the '94 qualifiers (remember anyone), was sadly dismantled and merged with the NSL Ontario/Quebec to form a sad sack CNSL. Talk about moving backwards with your arse spread wide open. Saputo offered top dollar for the former '92 Supra players and poor Franky Aliaga Sr. (former owner) stepped aside, folded the franchise and continued his life in Boca Raton. Therefore, Saputo, no difference to present day's action.

PS- Joey, if you are reading this, my pop sends his regards to Lino and i hope you are enjoying Palermo's stint in Serie A.

enjoy.

The success of Montreal and Vancouver only proves that you don't need big dollars in order to make a successful run of it in professional soccer. A modest increase and the Lynx can run for several years on the money MLSE would spend on a single expansion fee. Seems more that Kevin Pipe and his cohorts have seemingly forgotten the idea of "bigger is better" doesn't always work. Yet Pipe is seemingly ready to take down Canadian Soccer (Since an MLS failure would have much more of a psychological blow)with him. Is he trying to cement a legacy for himself by '07 or is he trying to aim for a senior position with the proposed MLS club. Pipe still seems to forget that it was the USL teams that propped up much of the National Team for so long.

The insertion of MLS Toronto would relegate the rest of the country to second-tier status regardless of they already have a pro team or not. It would simpley drive off anyone who wants to invest in soccer in this country. MLSE jumping the gun would mean that we won't see any MLS teams in other parts of Canada or several years. That is if MLSE is willing to allow rivals to jump into the pie or MLSE doesn't leave a scar behind as the result of their failure.

The Lynx wouldn't stand a chance of long term survival since MLSE would see the Lynx as a threat to their bottom line. While people may see only a couple of thousand fans at a game as insignificant, MLSE would see those as a few thousand not taking the MLSE experience. This would most certainly lead to MLSE dropping ticket prices enough that they would be cheaper to what the Lynx offer.That is of course based on if MLSE would allow them into the stadium in the first place.

The sad part is that no one in the Toronto matter (MLS, CSA, or MLSE) has done their homework in this matter. All of this over a stadium that was supposed to be built for the '07 WYC.[}:)]

Brain not attched to mouth syndrome. All you do is whine and buy the Keerfoot Saputo crybaby Koolaid.

Why should Toronto not have an MLS team.

Is Toronto to be in USL Div 1 because Edmonton cant support a team. Is Toronto supposed to stay in Minor League Soccer because others like Edmonton Calgary cant support soccer in Canada.

Vancouver and Montreal make me sick. They are jealous of Toronto MLS and instead of just shuting up they are putting thier cry baby act on. Shame on them.

Shame on you Doyle. Just like at Big soccer, you show how cleary stupid and bitter you are.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Montreal better than Toronto, says Pinizzotto

'We are more qualified for a franchise in the MLS: we have team, spectators and a new stadium'

By Nicola Sparano

TORONTO - "I personally don't believe that they'll build the stadium. Even if they did finish it by 2007, even if there was an MLS team, it would be only another uphill race on a very difficult road. Today, Montreal more than Toronto is ready to jump into the American MLS." This is the view of Peter Pinizzotto, one of the few in Canada who live on soccer, dividing his time between the Montreal Impact bench and the Bryst International school of soccer. At the age of 50, most of which spent behind a soccer ball, Pinizzotto says: "I was born in 1950 in the province of Messina, but when I was 10 my family emigrated to Switzerland. There I entered professional team Us Bb di Bienne (Bern) and at the age of 19, before emigrating to Canada, I played three games as a professional, in a B series team."

"In Canada I always played as an attacker at centre field with many teams beginning with Toronto Italia's youth team," continues Pinizzotto. "I first met the bench, at the age of 36, with the Woodbridge Strikers, the club owned by Vaughan mayor, Michael Di Biase. My very first 'big' team was Toronto Italia which then was in the NSL, and where we triumphed.

"In 1997 they called me to the bench of Toronto's new team, Lynx, to debut in the American A League championships, then the top of North American soccer. With Lynx I established an unofficial world record for staying power as a coach: seven years. They were seven difficult years, with a team made of rope and bandages. But from that team came professional players: Stalteri (England, Tottenham), Reda (Denmark), Serioux (England, Milwaal), De Rosario (MLS, San Jose), Kolic (Norway), Posniak (Norway), to name a few."

"For the past two years," continues the coach, "I'm with the Montreal Impact where I run the bench alongside Nick De Santis. I was hired to coach alone, then De Santis had to stop playing because of an injury so Joey Saputo, in gratitude, offered him half my bench. Working with Nick is great, we have the same ideas on how to make the team play, the same philosophy. We use the rhombus formation 4-3-1-2 which maximizes the potential of our players. Last year we won the A-League medal, this year we were eliminated during the semifinals by a goal scored at the 91st minute by Seattle, which then won the title.

"In Montreal I found a very professional atmosphere, where things are run properly. And the results are evident both on the field and at the box office. We've enjoyed an average of 12,000 spectators per game and now Mister Saputo has revealed plans for a sports centre with a stadium capacity seating of 17,000 in downtown Montreal. The stadium will have natural grass, like another one used only for training. A third field will have artificial turf. The new centre should be ready towards the end of next summer. We hope to at least play our next playoff.

"I live alone in Montreal in an apartment paid for by the club. I live there from May to September because it's not worth moving my entire family. I then come to Toronto and during the winter months I teach at the soccer academy, Bryst International that has three campuses, Scarborough, Brampton and Markham. Gary Miller has been running the school for many years to great success according to the many players (about 100 in seven years) who completed university studies in the U.S. thanks to soccer grants. Some Bryst 'alumni' are now in European teams, like Julian Uccello (Sansovino, C2 Italian) and Thomas Mc Lean (Ackrington, 2ª English division).

"This is my third year as an instructor; my specific job is to observe youth programs ages 8-17, point out the best and bring them to the Top Dogs program, reserved for the potentially talented."

"The fact that there are few instructors is the reason behind the slow development of soccer in Canada," continues Pinizzotto. "Slowly we're evening out. In Toronto there are a few soccer academies that are doing a good job. I'm part of the system and claim that the more qualified instructors we have, the better it will be for Canadian soccer.

"Among the youth that I had in the team, Paul Stalteri was at the top while Robbie Aristodemo didn't perform how he was supposed to. Stalteri developed great attributes by staying four years in the minors of Werder Brema, before joining the main team. Now he plays with Tottenham which is no small deal. Dwayne De Rosario didn't have the patience to play in Europe, otherwise he too would be playing that soccer. On the other hand, he's doing great in the U.S. Aristodemo had great technical gifts, but didn't have what was needed to excel."

"A stadium in Toronto?" says Pinizzotto. "Personally I don't believe they'll end up building one. There are those who have their hearts set on soccer, such as Minister Joe Volpe, but for most the stadium is about politics. Between he who wants it rare and he who wants it well done, it'll end up not being built in time for 2007 and Toronto will miss out on the youth championship, and probably even an MLS team. As things stand, Montreal is better equipped to have an MLS team.

"Why? Because we already have a spectators base, and most importantly, players. Experience tells us that in Toronto you can't get ahead only with local talent. Every team must have at least three-four foreign of some talent. As things stand, the best Canadian players are either in Europe or with us in Montreal. To bring into a new team Canadians like Stalteri would be costly. Regardless, for soccer in Canada to progress it needs professional teams like Montreal or Vancouver today, like Toronto tomorrow, and hopefully all three in the MLS."

"The CPSL has to continue to exist," continues Pinizzotto, "but it has to raise the competitive level of its players. In comparison to when I used to coach Toronto Italia, the difference is like night and day. Will they go back to ethnic names? Great, but changing the names alone won't go far.

"Italian soccer? It's played too horizontally, and in spaces always more crowded. There is too much referee interference because everybody is marked too tightly. In this way the game is too fragmented and not very enjoyable. But in Italy great attention is given to the score, so anything is forgiven in favour of a victory. I've always been an Inter Milan fan so I'm used to disappointments. I hope that this year things are better, but if team members criticize each other, such as the Veron-Adriano case, one will never go far."

"Lippi's Italy," concludes Pinizzotto, "doesn't yet have a precise countenance. Until Lippi doesn't decide on a base formation, one can't make predictions regarding the world championships. In Germany the favoured is, of course, Brazil. The Germans, then, have Klinsmann on the bench and they're playing at home." u

Bryst International has three campuses, Brampton, Scarborough and Newmarket. Indoor courses have already begun, but registration is open. For the Elite program - 7-17 years of age - three months, once a week, $329; $800 for Top Dogs, training twice a week. For more information call: 1-866-898-8141

Publication Date: 2005-10-23

Story Location: http://www.tandemnews.com/viewstory.php?storyid=5668

Thos pinnizzoto guy is a crybaby. He sucked as a coach for the Lynx. Now as a claless ass he spews ****. Go away. Your a pimple on Canadian soccers ASS>

And you wonder why soccer is still in the 1970's. Putting teams in markets like Toronto with no history of supporting the pro game.

This is the NASL Oakland Stompers all over again!

Funny how you can speak and know so little.

Profesional soccer in Toronto has been well supported. The NASL folded not the Blizzard.

On many nights in Toronto 10,000 plus crowds on many nights in a week would be out to support NSL games.

USL Div 1 is minor soccer and the owners are minor league all the way. they spend no money and do nothing to promote the game. Everytime they get a good player he gets sold to Montreal.

Toronto will do very well in MLS and all you negative cry babies can kiss my ASS.

16,000 a game for a team that's the only pro team in the summer. Toronto doesn't have that luxury.

Big difference.

There you go again Anti anti Toronto. your stick is old , how long will it keep up. We can support pro soccer here unlike Garlic City Edmonton.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

Udinese and Doyle could you please take your bitching at each other to some private forum. I don't think i'm the only one who doesn't care to read it.

Pilt are people on here not alowed to respond to others post.

By the way, it will be 2 years before you get to know if a Stadium is built in VCR. Go away till then.

quote:Originally posted by Udinese

Pilt are people on here not alowed to respond to others post.

By the way, it will be 2 years before you get to know if a Stadium is built in VCR. Go away till then.

People are allowed to respond but not in troll-like fashion, which essentially your posts have been in thus far, including your unnecessarily rude & un-called for response to Piltdown. If you keep it up with the trolling behaviour I'm sure the mods will take action soon. If you want to debate & discuss etc. and show your enthusiasm for the Toronto developments (assuming they happen) that's fine, but if you are just here to taunt people from other parts of the country, that's not okay.

Archived