Predictions re Starting Lineup for 2010 WCQ

Guest Dave

Thought I'd change the subject from the rather depressing stadium issue, so here's something totally subjective... a chance to "express yourself" as Frankie would say;

What do you think Canada's lineup will look like in 2008, when qualifying begins for the 2010 WC. You can look at it two ways, either what YOU think would be the best lineup... or what you think Frank will put out there. All in good fun as they say... have at it!

I'll start things off with my own little whimsical guess:

(this is what I think would be best, not what I think we will actually see!)

GK Greg Sutton

LB Mike Klukowski

CB Jason DeVos (HE WILL BE BACK!)

CB David Edgar

RB Nik Ledgerwood

LM Sandro Grande

CM Julian DeGuzman

CM Atiba Hutchinson

RM Paul Stalteri

ST Tomasz Radzinski (Now playing for the TORONTO BLIZZARD... MLS)

ST Jonathan DeGuzman (Remember, you heard it first here!)

Subs:

Daniel Fernandes

Kevin McKenna

Tam Nsaliwa

Ante Jazic

Josh Simpson

Adrian Serioux

Jaime Peters

Iain Hume

Dwayne DeRosario

The stadium issue is depressing? It's 2005. There's a World Cup in 2006. And you want to talk about the 2010 starting line up. If that's not depressing, I don't know what is. [:P]

As for the actual line-up, I'll leave that up to the experts. But um, I don't know how serious you are being (since you said Toronto MLS I'll assume you are joking [:P]), but Radzinski and DeVos will be like forty-seven years old each by 2010.

I'll take a stab at this... actually it'll be kinda cool to have this thread as an archive that we can look back at in three years time to see who was right.

Starters

GK: Greg Sutton

RB: Paul Stalteri

CM: David Edgar

CM: Mike Klukowski

LB: Jim Brennan

RM: Jaime Peters

CM: Atiba Hutchinson

CM: Julian De Guzman

LM: Josh Simpson

F: Iain Hume

F: Dwayne De Rosario

Subs Bench

Daniel Fernandes

Kevin McKenna

Marco Reda

Nik Legerwood

Jonathan De Guzman

Will Johnson

Patrice Bernier

Olivier Occean

Ante Jazic

quote:Originally posted by Elias

but Radzinski and DeVos will be like forty-seven years old each by 2010.

I'm assuming you're kidding as 2010 is only 5 years away, and I don't think de Vos or Radzinski are 42 years only already. Roger Milla played for Cameroon in Italia '90 at 40 years old and surprised quite a few people. There may be still be room for either de Vos or Rad, but I think they'll be there to mentor the "kids" (Gyaki, Hume,

JdG Jr., etc.).

As much as I think discussing 2010 is WAY too early, it's not

that depressing, given the potential we have. And in this forum

I can't really think or care about any other team other than ours.

As for my line-up I'll only go with players that I saw play.

GK: Sutton

Defense: RB: Stalteri CB: Kluka CB: Edgar LB: Brennan

Mid: RM: Peeters CM: Hutch CM: De Guz LM: Simpson

For: Occean and Hume

Subs:

Hirsh

Stama

Grande

Radz (super sub)

Will Johnson (he's getting some minutes as a sub with Chicago)

Mckenna

Bernier

Gerba

Jazic

Nik L.

To be honest, I think DeVos would be great to have on the team. Even if he never plays. He would probably slap a few of the younsters around and get them into shape. Leadership and passion is what this team lacks.

Rad obviously has the talent, but he just seems too unpretictable.

New Goalie, Our Goalies are okay but hopefully well have an impressive youngin to be a foundation for the next 10 years.

Stalteri, Mckenna (skipper), Klukowski

Hutch Serioux (Maybe grande?)

Peters De Guzman Simpson

Hume Occean

The trickies question for mine is simpson and serioux and grande, you want serioux in front of simpson (although hopefully simpson will have developed well by then) but you want simpson on the side and serioux in the middle. Grande playing depends on how well serioux ages cause he's in his prime right now, so if he declines, grandes in, if he improves at all he'll probably make the cut but Grande might improve even more then expected.

Subs: a few new kids, radz'll still be kicking for qualifacation. De ro will probably be an advancer sub, Friend, Bernier, Edgar

Fernandes

Ledgerwood Hutchison Klukowski Simpson

de Guzman

Peters de Jong

de Guzman

Johnson Hume

Subs:

Begovic

McKenna

Stalteri

Edgar

de Rosario

Occean

Gyaki

Highly tempted to add de Rosario to starting lineup to give 4 'de 's.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Fernandes

Ledgerwood Hutchison Klukowski Simpson

de Guzman

Peters de Jong

de Guzman

Johnson Hume

Subs:

Begovic

McKenna

Stalteri

Edgar

de Rosario

Occean

Gyaki

Highly tempted to add de Rosario to starting lineup to give 4 'de 's.

I like the addition of Johnson. Nice idea. Would rather we had a taller target guy up front, but a couple of whizz-nuts like Hume and Johnson could prove a handful.

Gk

Sutton

LB

Klukowski

CB

Mckenna

CB

Edgar

RB

Stalteri

LM

Simpson

CM

De Guzman

CM

Hutchinson

RM

Peters

ST

Hume

ST

Occéan

Subs:Ledgerwood, Canizalez, Bernier, Brennan, Radzinski, De Rosario, Hirschfeld, Fernandes, Placcentino, Uccello.

Wow just imagine in a couple of years we will definitely have 17-18 players who could start on any given day, not to mention all the players mentioned in the starting lineup and some of the substitutes above will most likely be playing in top leaugues all around the world, I cant wait.

If we are hoping to qualify for 2010 with the same players that could not do the job for 2006, then we are only kidding ourselves!

Look to rebuild from the young age groups U-17 and U 20,s and look at 1014 as a realistic target to qualify.

Just my realistic opinion, but if you really break it down we just have not developed top quality International players.

Yes we have more and more players going over to Europe but the majority of them are not playing in the top leagues with a few exceptions!

I hope i'm completely out to lunch my gut tells me otherwise.

I was going to say something similar. We always seem to have a lot of potential (and not just in soccer), problem being this potential never shows up when it's showtime.

1998 was guaranteed since CONCACAF was given 3 spots in the expanded World Cup, and we came a goal short in 94.

2002 was guaranteed coming off the Gold Cup victory.

2006 was guaranteed cause so many players in Europe.

But I hope I'm wrong too.

im in agreement that we might it might be better to field a younger team that is full of potential. Im gonna sujest a team that is similar to Ed's and it's gonna mimic the portugease starting formation of a 4-3-3.

GK Fernandez/Lars

RB Stalteri CB Mekenna/Edgar* CB Klucka LB Simpson

This back line combines youth and experience and should be very solid defensivly and will be very good at moving the ball up field. Stalteri and Simpson will provide good over laping runs with the midfield which will only enhance our attake and make teams more weiry of us.

RM Legerwood CM Hutchenson LM DeJong

I based my midfield on who I think will be the strongest their in 2 years. Legerwood is much more of a MF then a defender and I figured we could use his elite first touch and vison and distribution skills in the middle of the park. I don't know if this is an apt comparison but he reminds me a lot style wise as Hargraveis sp and I personaly feel that he will be playing in the Bundisliga in 2 years time. Hutchenson in my mind is much more creative then JDG and has a real good shot, could be a deco type for us. Im also of the mind that he will be playing toplevel soccer at this tim as well. DeJong like the other two has terific vison and is probably our best crosser, with simpson and Rad suppoting him on the left it wont be his job to run at defenders all game long, which really isnt his game. his game will be to keep the ball flowing as he is an excellent passer. that really is the focus of my mid, to keep the play moving smothly. Plus Hutch and Legerwood have a lot of pace and all three are scoring threats.

RW Peters------------------Lf Rad.

--------------Hume---------

Heres whare I think I get a little creative by putting Peters in a role that I think is much more benificial to him then playing in the mf. Lets face it his game isn tabout holding up the ball and defense it's about all out attake in the final 3rd. I expect him to into a poor mans Ronaldo, and play a similar role as what Ronaldo plays for both Man U and Portugal and thats like a half striker half MF. Hume I think is our most natural goal scoring prospect and with both rad and Peters opening up space for him with there speed he will probably be able to get into better areas and get more chances, plus he can create for himself and both Peters and Rad, who can also finsh. Rad I feal isn't close to done and still has a lot to offer both in quality of play and in experience.

quote:Originally posted by soccer loco

If we are hoping to qualify for 2010 with the same players that could not do the job for 2006, then we are only kidding ourselves!

Look to rebuild from the young age groups U-17 and U 20,s and look at 1014 as a realistic target to qualify.

You want to wait for 2014, be my guest. We needed more prep time

since last qualifying, so for 2010 it's starting now. We could have

been more successful with the A lineup we have and we're just getting

better IMO.

It's really too early to say at this moment, there are always players who come out of nowhere to contend for a national spot, but considering the players I know of, and what Ive seen, this is the 23 man roster I would take to South Africa :). As it is, I dont feel totally comfortable with my bench, a few guys that Im sure would be considered a 'reach' at this point..

............Sutton............

Stalteri Atiba Edgar Klukowski

..De Guzman De Guzman Gyaki...

Peters....................Hume

............McKenna...........

Subs:

Hirschfeld

Karim

Ledgerwood

Hainault

Harmse

Brennan

Grande

Serioux

Simpson

De Rosario

Johnson

Lombardo

quote:Originally posted by soccer loco

We already know that won't be the case. To the extent our personnel cost us a spot in the final round (as opposed to criminal reffing decisions and horrible preparation by the CSA for the first match), the two players I'd say that cost us the most have both retired from international duty.

And no, I'm not referring to De Vos, though he will be a third player that won't be around for qualifying in 2010. As for the younger players who weren't up to scratch, there's no reason to think that with more experience & development playing in high quality European leagues that they won't be better players by 2008 comes around.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

As far as prep, I think that the key was prep time in the weeks prior to the start on the WCQ semi final round. That is where IMO Yallop and the CSA blew it. But in regards to overall matches between WC 2002 and 2005, I don't see anything lacking there. We did play quite a few freindlies in that span, plus the Gold Cups and so forth. We even played some real quality opponents. This was a major improvements over what we've seen in prior times. So, in that regard, we cant fault anyone for the amount matches played. I am not sure that the top contenders in Concacaf played more than Canada. In fact we have played more.

Having said that, I hope that the CSA doesn't sit back. I hope to see an equal amount of friendlies over the next four years.

Yeah, it was our preparation in the several weeks leading up to qualifying that let us down. In that stretch, I believe Guatamala played 3 or 4 friendlies--maybe more--while we had nothing much after the two Belize games and the San Jose friendly. And it showed: Guatamala, a team that I still think we should have beat in the opening, scored twice against a team that looked unsure with the ball, unfamiliar with each other, and very weak on defense.

Yallop and the CSA will not make this mistake again.

Archived