Predictions re Starting Lineup for 2010 WCQ

Guest Dave

Yes. I think the CSA will do a better job next time in terms of playing more friendlies. But we also need to think about our region and get some matches against the Costa Ricas and Guatemalas. Next summer, with many Euro leagues ending their campaigns early for the World Cup, would be a good chance to visit some of our potential opponents or have them visit us. We can't just rely on the Gold Cup for that kind of experience. Its never too early to get ready for 2008 WCQ.

quote:Originally posted by soccer loco

If we are hoping to qualify for 2010 with the same players that could not do the job for 2006, then we are only kidding ourselves!

Look to rebuild from the young age groups U-17 and U 20,s and look at 1014 as a realistic target to qualify.

Just my realistic opinion, but if you really break it down we just have not developed top quality International players.

Yes we have more and more players going over to Europe but the majority of them are not playing in the top leagues with a few exceptions!

I hope i'm completely out to lunch my gut tells me otherwise.

Someone from the recent U20 teams will have to emerge and steer the ship in the right direction. Otherwise you may be right. But I don't think drastic changes are needed for 2010. IMO the team that we went into the last round of qualifying was actually sufficient as a supporting cast to succeed and qualify for Germany. But if we had had one or two players in a starring role to take charge and command respect from opposition and teammates through their play, I am confident that things might have been different.

As far as the other factors ( reffing, group draw, unfamiliarity, travel fatigue..etc), none on of that will change in 2010 except for maybe the arrival of MLS which MIGHT address some of the travel and displacement issues. So we might as well live with it. You can over come those issues through better play and improvement in quality.

We could still cut down travel fatigue considerably by playing games in Ottawa, Montreal or Eastern Canada if need be, rather than in Vancouver.

If we play in Central America on a Saturday and then play in Canada a few days later, that is the time to schedule a game in Western Canada. If the players are coming straight from Europe, to the east we go. I think our recent record in Vancouver during the past few years - the era when most of our players are in Europe - speaks to this.

As for officiating, its a disheartening thought to think that we will get screwed just as badly or worse next time round, but you could be right. But as you say if we improve our team sufficiently we will be better able to get ourselves out of the holes the officials will put us in. The other thing the CSA can do in insist upon a non-Concacaf officiating crew (preferably European) the way we got one against Mexico in 1993 (although the German crew in that game screwed out of a legitimate go-ahead goal by Lyndon "2005 Comeback Kid" Hooper, but I suspect that was more out an accidental bad call rather than a purposeful one).

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

We could still cut down travel fatigue considerably by playing games in Ottawa, Montreal or Eastern Canada if need be, rather than in Vancouver.

If we play in Central America on a Saturday and then play in Canada a few days later, that is the time to schedule a game in Western Canada. If the players are coming straight from Europe, to the east we go. I think our recent record in Vancouver during the past few years - the era when most of our players are in Europe - speaks to this.

As for officiating, its a disheartening thought to think that we will get screwed just as badly or worse next time round, but you could be right. But as you say if we improve our team sufficiently we will be better able to get ourselves out of the holes the officials will put us in. The other thing the CSA can do in insist upon a non-Concacaf officiating crew (preferably European) the way we got one against Mexico in 1993 (although the German crew in that game screwed out of a legitimate go-ahead goal by Lyndon "2005 Comeback Kid" Hooper, but I suspect that was more out an accidental bad call rather than a purposeful one).

I'm from Van, but I agree on this. Having our own players travel more than the visitors to play in Vancouver was a terrible idea, just one more thing working against us for the last WCQ campaign. The other little problem with Vancouver is that it does not really give us a weather advantage, almost never in fact. Neither is it that cool in the summer any more -at least not consistently- nor ever so cold in November to bother Central Americans.

We had one of our most important home matches for WCQ in Newfoundland. A wonderful idea, they deserve more games too.

• 1 month later...

In light of yesterday's result and various player's showing, I thought I might revisit this topic. Any new thoughts on our best lineup for 2008? (only a little over two years until we start WCQ again).

Having looked over my original starting 11 (see below) at this point I think I would replace Grande with DeRosario, move Julian to LM, and play DeRo as attacking MF, to create a diamond-shaped MF like this:

DM Atiba

RM Stalteri LM De Guzman

AM DeRo

I still believe that Radz and DeVos will be our best options to start WCQ in 2 yrs time (maybe not by the time WC2010 starts). I hope they are both interested in giving it one last shot. I'm also hopeful we get JDG2, but if not, replace him in the starting 11 with Hume. I will wait to see how Lars does in future friendlies before deciding if he should start ahead of Sutton.

Any thoughts?

quote:Originally posted by Dave

GK Greg Sutton

LB Mike Klukowski

CB Jason DeVos (HE WILL BE BACK!)

CB David Edgar

RB Nik Ledgerwood

LM Sandro Grande

CM Julian DeGuzman

CM Atiba Hutchinson

RM Paul Stalteri

ST Tomasz Radzinski (Now playing for the TORONTO BLIZZARD... MLS)

ST Jonathan DeGuzman (Remember, you heard it first here!)

Subs:

Daniel Fernandes

Kevin McKenna

Tam Nsaliwa

Ante Jazic

Josh Simpson

Adrian Serioux

Jaime Peters

Iain Hume

Dwayne DeRosario

Archived