July 12 GC - Canada v Cuba - PRE-match

Soccer_Josh

<center>Gold Cup - USA 2005

First Round, Match 3Canada vs. CubaTuesday, July 12, 2005

6:00 PM PDT / 7:00 PM MDT / 8:00 PM CDT / 9:00 PM EDT / 10:00 PM ADT / 10:30 PM NDT

Gillette Stadium, Foxboro

Television

(According to Sportsnet's site)

LIVE</u>

Sportsnet West Digital and Sportsnet Pacific Digital

•Galavision – 6pm PT/7pm MT/8pm CT/9pm ET (LIVE)

Local TAPE DELAYS</u>

· Sportsnet East and Ontario: 1 AM EDT / 2 AM ADT / 2:30 AM NDT

· Sportsnet West: 11 PM MDT / 12 AM CDT

· Sportsnet Pacific: 11 PM PDT

Live Text Updates

From official Gold Cup site

Voyageurs real-time chat

(login under your forum name using the top box and top "Login Now" button; do not use the two lower boxes, do not enter your forum password anywhere)

</center>

-------------------------------------------------------

Probable Starting Line-up – CANADA: 1–SUTTON Greg; 2–BRAZ Adam; 3–POZNIAK Chris; 4-MCKENNA Kevin; 5–GERVAIS Gabriel; 6–BERNIER Patrice; 9–GERBA Ali; 10–OCCEAN Olivier; 12–GRANDE Sandro; 13–HUTCHINSON Atiba; 14–DE ROSARIO Dwayne

Subs: 7–HUME Iain (Inj.); 8–SERIOUX Adrian (Susp.); 11–BRENNAN Jim; 15–SIMPSON Josh; 16–LEDUC Patrick; 17–PETERS Jaime; 18–DODDS Rhian; 33–FRANKS Mike

Injuries – HUME (quadriceps – questionable)

Suspensions – SERIOUX (sent off 9/7/04 vs. USA)

-------------------------------------------------------

As Canada heads into their final group match at the 2005 Gold Cup, is their a clear cut chance for Canada to advance.

Group A

Panama-4pts

Honduras-4pts

T&T-2pts

Columbia-0pts

*Canada has to hope for a draw or win for Columbia against T&T*

Group B

USA-6pts

Costa Rica-6pts

Canada-0pts

Cuba-0pts

*Canada MUST</u> beat Cuba to have a chance...if a lose or draw...Canada is out*

Group C

South America-4pts

Jamaica-4pts

Mexico-3pts

Guatemala-0pts

*Jamaica must beat Mexico for Canada to have a chance*

- edit title only, to broaden discussion : mod

- edit title again to make this the pre-match thread, because that's essentially what it is! :-) : other mod

okay Mr. Fussy, you're the boss!: first mod

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Group C would be a desperate chance of a desperate order, as Mexico has a huge GD advantage.

The only practical result to advance would be for Colombia to edge Trinidad earlier on Tuesady night, and then we would know exactly how much we would have to beat Cuba by.

Not only that, Canada will have to hammer Cuba, and beat them by at least 2 goals, and probalbly 3 or more (a lot more if Colombia only ties Trini). We would need a go for broke formation for any chance of this. I say go for the sky or go down in flames. Something like:

---------Sutton

Bernier--McKenna--Simpson

-------Grande---Hutchinson--

Peters----- DeRosario----Brennan

----Hume-------Occean

Desperate times call for desperate measures. We would be very susceptible on the counter-attack, but we could see what exactly what kind of cloth our clearly new number one goalkeeper is made of.

Cuba would be happy with a bare win or tie, so we can't play into their game plan.

Goal difference, then total goals.

If Colombia beat Trinidad 1-0, for instance, Colombia would be:

3. Colombia 3 GP 1 W 0 D 2 L 2 GF 3 GA -1GD 3 PTS

Canada is now -3 in goal differential, with no goals, so if we then only beat Cuba 2-0 we would be tied in both departments, and it would go to a drawing of lots. If we then instead beat Cuba 3-1 we would be even on goal differential but would advance on goals scored.

If Colombia tie Trinidad 0-0, Trinidad would stand:

3. Trinidad & T 3 GP 0 W 3 D 0 L 3GF 3GA 0 GD 3 PTS

Canada would then need to beat Cuba 3-0 for the opportunity to draw lots against Trinidad. If Canada beat Cuba 4-1 we would be euqal on goal difference, but advance on total goals.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Goal difference, then total goals.

If Colombia beat Trinidad 1-0 for instance, Colombia would be:

3. Colombia 3 GP 1 W 0 D 2 L 2 GF 3 -1 3

Canada is now -3 in goal differential, with no goals, so if we then only beat Cuba 2-0 we would be tied in both departments, and it would go to a drawing of lots. If we then instead beat Cuba 3-1 we would be even on goal differential but would advance on goals scored.

so this is our best chance or trinidad tie 0-0 :)groups c theres no way jamaica will beat mexico so i guess well know our fate tomorow night lets just hope we can pull it offf

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Wouldn't a win be worth more than 3 draws (if T&T draw)?

No, the regs don't differentiate between match points (see regs in blue on first post in Sched and Results sticky). In some tournaments before they made a win worth three points in the early 90's, a win sometimes counted for more than two ties in tiebreak, but never since then.

quote:Originally posted by intrepid_

We need to beat Cuba by 2 goals.

We need Colombia to beat T&T by exactly 1 goal.

And we need to win the coin toss.

Realistically this is the only way we will advance.

Realistically, 1-0 for Colombia and 2-0 for us. But we've had luck with the coin toss and we can't be lucky forever.

Possible IMO: 1-0 for Colombia and Canada leads Cuba 2-1 with 10 to go. Either they go for the tie and we counter and score to go through, or we push and they counter to tie it.

Probability of beating Cuba by 2 goals (considering how often we score 2 goals): 8% (I'd say this is generous)

Probability of Colombia beating T&T by exactly 1 goal: 25%

Probability of winning the coin toss (50%)

So our probability of advancing to the next round is 1%

quote:Originally posted by intrepid_

Probability of beating Cuba by 2 goals (considering how often we score 2 goals): 8% (I'd say this is generous)

Probability of Colombia beating T&T by exactly 1 goal: 25%

Probability of winning the coin toss (50%)

So our probability of advancing to the next round is 1%

Nice *scientific* method for the first two... [:P]

I would like to see a more offensive approach. We need to get more Canadian shirts in the box on the offense. Lets make the odds of getting the right bounce more in our favour. That is hard to do unless you have speed on the outside. Here is my arm chair line up.

-----------Sutton

Braz--Gervais--McKenna--Brennan

Peters--Grande--Hutchinson--Simpson

---------Hume--DeRosario

When we go forward lets risk it and go with numbers. Make Simpson and Peters use their pace.

ps I know Hume has a questionable quad.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I hope it's the keeper, Molina I think, he's very good. As for the second one, let's hope it's one of their starter in midfield or defense....

Gentlemen, please believe in out guys,they will do their very best for us,they are the very best we have to offer and they have the best coach in Canada.It's a game so please lay of I love our players and they will do their very best.If you have any doubts please supply me with a extremely comprehensive plan backed up with a total analysis of our soccer system by province ,coaching and player development as well as an analysis of the old A league and European coaching systems and also include a thoudand other things that come in play.Gentlemen we are looking at the very best Canada has ever fielded, please love them.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Gentlemen, please believe in out guys,they will do their very best for us,they are the very best we have to offer and they have the best coach in Canada.It's a game so please lay of I love our players and they will do their very best.If you have any doubts please supply me with a extremely comprehensive plan backed up with a total analysis of our soccer system by province ,coaching and player development as well as an analysis of the old A league and European coaching systems and also include a thoudand other things that come in play.Gentlemen we are looking at the very best Canada has ever fielded, please love them.

Hey bro, I can't play to the level our team plays so who am I to speak dastardly of the players, coaches or management.

This is soccer. No matter how much we want to be a world player we ain't.

Gawd love'em this is a good team. The whole 2005 expierience has been one of under achieveing. (BLAME WHO) It's sooooo frustrating we have the talent. But a combination of bad ref'ing and lack of familiarity between players and as much as I like FY, bad coaching decisions has cost us games. We only have so many games as a squad. It's hard to get things right with the talent pool we have.

Did Bircham say no or was he never asked?

Cheers and Cheers to all that wear the LEAF.

Now let's go get Cuba and even if we don't ......Proud of ya

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Hey bro, I can't play to the level our team plays so who am I to speak dastardly of the players, coaches or management.

This is soccer. No matter how much we want to be a world player we ain't.

Gawd love'em this is a good team. The whole 2005 expierience has been one of under achieveing. (BLAME WHO) It's sooooo frustrating we have the talent. But a combination of bad ref'ing and lack of familiarity between players and as much as I like FY, bad coaching decisions has cost us games. We only have so many games as a squad. It's hard to get things right with the talent pool we have.

Did Bircham say no or was he never asked?

Cheers and Cheers to all that wear the LEAF.

Now let's go get Cuba and even if we don't ......Proud of ya

Thanks just had a dinner with my bank manager who paid, so I guess my right brain became the boss, however we must believe in our players hell come or high water.I wish our guys woud be part of this board and let us know how they feel,in fact I would love to read about their accomplishments abroad.There is this Finish player who just does that.So if any of our guys read our rags let us know,I am sure the young guys will read this first before they m.b

quote:Originally posted by VI

I would like to see a more offensive approach. We need to get more Canadian shirts in the box on the offense. Lets make the odds of getting the right bounce more in our favour. That is hard to do unless you have speed on the outside. Here is my arm chair line up.

-----------Sutton

Braz--Gervais--McKenna--Brennan

Peters--Grande--Hutchinson--Simpson

---------Hume--DeRosario

When we go forward lets risk it and go with numbers. Make Simpson and Peters use their pace.

ps I know Hume has a questionable quad.

Just thinking about this more and remembering the guys playing in England are just starting their pre-season so maybe they don't have the legs to go 90 at the kind of pace we need. Maybe only use each of them for a half game. Why not use Poz as left back? Then use Simpson like FY has been using Peters. This would maintain some pace through the whole game.

Archived