July 12 GC - Canada v Cuba - PRE-match

Soccer_Josh

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay Frank, we have to win 3-0 just to coin toss, 4-0 or 4-1 to advance without the toss. Are you going to throw the dice properlly, go for a 3-5-2, and put in our players who are likliest to succedd on a good day...Bernier, McKenna (or Gervais), Simpson

.........................Hutchinson, Grande

........................Peters, DeRo, Brennan

........................ Hume (or McKenna), Occean ?

Ha, you bunch of cynics. Three-nil and bring on the coin tossing. Think I'm down with that.

Attack, attack, attack.

We'll see where we stand on this attacking football business that's for certain. B squad or no.

Pity about Hume. As much as we need him you've got to be fair to the man. It's straight off to pre-season for him once the Gold Cup wraps up and it wouldn't be fair to Tranmere or Ian to send him back to England as damaged goods.

Think (hope) those Cubans are fragile, exhausted, and ripe for the picking. Damn, we're owed a few against the buggers. There luck against us is due for a big, burning, crash.

And Gordon nailed the off-side as I know it. Can only be offside on a forward pass in the attacking half of the field. Pretty damned simple.

I don't think there'll be a coin toss. I think Cuba will get at least one, especially since we'll have to play offensively and hence make ourselves vulnerable at the back.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

The offside line is the line the ball forms. I think the offside rule is that you have to be ahead of both the second last defender and</u> the ball in order to be offside. Or, you can't be offside if you are behind the ball. At least that is the way a coach explained it to me :D when I was (much) younger.
Yes, of course. Where you are relative to the ball is actually the first thing to look at, but this seems to be overlooked more often than it should because everyone concentrates on the defenders. On a few occasions I've seen commentators analyzing a play to determine whether a player was ahead of the second-last defender or not, totally disregarding the fact that the player was behind the ball. Then there was that game against Haiti in the 2002 Gold Cup where even the referees couldn't get it right after we scored but were called offside even though the scorer was obviously behind the ball when he received it; if that was called right then we wouldn't have needed a coin toss.

Archived