July 12 GC - Canada v Cuba - PRE-match

Soccer_Josh

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

According to the Neil Davidson article in another thread, this is Canada's Probable line up (I might have the wingers wrong, I am dislexic):

-----------Sutton

Braz--Gervais--McKenna--Pozniak

--Hutchinson--Grande--Bernier

---------DeRosario

-------Gerba--Occean

I like this lineup if its true. I know alot of people here are going to say start Hume over Gerba, but i think hume would be better as a sub later in the game. The only ones i would question is Bernier over Brennen. Pozniak instead of Simpson is also a bit strange.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a bizarre looking formation. Definite set up for the long ball, hit and hope routine. Problem with DeRo as playmaker is...well...you have to pass the ball to be a playmaker!

Hoping for Blood and Thunder...but expecting more Thud and Blunder from this lineup.

I'm already getting frustrated.

Nothing wrong with long ball is correct....

Real long ball is an ok game to play, its just when Canada plays long ball... that means just kick the ball aimlessly out. If we can play it properly and have enough of an attack ready once the striker wins the ball.. it could be a fun game to watch plus... are the cubans small?

I think we can score 2 or 3 on Cuba with whatever lineup Frank thows out there. I have my concerns though about keeping a clean sheet, however. If McKenna and Gervais are partnered, we a suspectable to a fast counter if our midfield turns it over easily. That, unfortunately, is somehting our midfield has been doing with regularity. Perhaps though, if we go Hutch, Bernier and Grande as suggested by the CP article, this will not be as big a problem.

Amazing to think that with Hume likely out again through injury, we will only be playing 3 players who were there for the 2-0 loss to Cuba at the 2003 Gold Cup, McKenna, Atiba & Pozniak, and Atiba only came on late.

The last few matches we've played against Cuba we should have scored at least 4 goals against them, but that didn't happen once. Will we buck the trend this time? We had better hope so. Even if the T&T & Colombia result doesn't go our way before we play at 9pm, we still would be technically alive because the other group plays tomorrow. As unlikely as it might be, I don't expect our players to give up and you never know what might happen, so we have to go constantly for goals the entire match.

Should be fun, if nothing else.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Nothing wrong with playing long balls if they are accurate and beat the offside trap - which we've done a pleasantly surprising number of times in the tourney so far, only to have them nullified by incorrect offside calls.

How can you say --nullified by incorrect offside calls. Are you an AR?

I don't think past results count for much here, other than past results in this tournament. Cuba has let in 7 goals in two games. 3 to a Costa Rica side that managed only 2 chances against us. Part of our inability to score has been our finishing but part of it also has been the quality of our opposition. Will Cuba run the offside trap as well as Costa Rica and the US? Will the close down and double team our wingers as quickly? Will DD be more effective if he only has to beat one defender? Will our midfield with Hutchinson instead of Leduc create more good chances for our strikers? Will their centre backs be able to control Occean as well as "gooch" did? After two game, which side will be the more tired, and does Cuba have the depth to manage this?

Against Cuba the last go around, we created many chances to score. Maybe our finishing will let us down again. But I just think that we are goona pot a few tonight.

On the flip side, Cuba scored against both CR and the US, something we have not managed to do, hence my fear of their offence rather than their defence.

Probable lineups according to the CSA site, basically confirming the line up in the CP article:

Probable Starting Line-up – CANADA: 1–SUTTON Greg; 2–BRAZ Adam; 3–POZNIAK Chris; 4-MCKENNA Kevin; 5–GERVAIS Gabriel; 6–BERNIER Patrice; 9–GERBA Ali; 10–OCCEAN Olivier; 12–GRANDE Sandro; 13–HUTCHINSON Atiba; 14–DE ROSARIO Dwayne

Subs: 7–HUME Iain (Inj.); 8–SERIOUX Adrian (Susp.); 11–BRENNAN Jim; 15–SIMPSON Josh; 16–LEDUC Patrick; 17–PETERS Jaime; 18–DODDS Rhian; 33–FRANKS Mike

Injuries – HUME (quadriceps – questionable)

Suspensions – SERIOUX (sent off 9/7/04 vs. USA)

http://canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=2264

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

How can you say --nullified by incorrect offside calls. Are you an AR?

No, and I don't need to be. I understand the rules well enough. More importantly, I'm a viewer with access to a VCR and a copy of the matches and a remote with a freeze frame button on it. Maybe its understandable that mistakes were made, but made they were nonetheless.

I dunno how many times im going to have to say this but...our long balls are really good at times...but even against Costa Rica their defenders are beating us in the air. When Canada gets a corner kick I look away cause i know we will lose possesion. I have no idea how big Cuba are but we could of had some real good opportunaties against both USA and Costa Rica if we one some of our long balls in the air!

Score Predictions: Canada 1-1 Cuba

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

No, and I don't need to be. I understand the rules well enough. More importantly, I'm a viewer with access to a VCR and a copy of the matches and a remote with a freeze frame button on it. Maybe its understandable that mistakes were made, but made they were nonetheless.

I appreciate your wizardy with your buttons and your understanding of the rules. Can an AR raise his flag for an offside when it was not a punishable one. Of course, but believe me, it does not happen very often. Far more common is just the opposite, offsides that don't get called. You see, understanding the offside rule is not the same as applying it at the field level. Every year there are new instructions and interpretations from Fifa that go to the referees. These do not get written in the Fifa rule book. For instance, the last one being that a player's arm which may be sticking past the offside line, is not to be considered to be offside. Far fetched, no. It is common to see players putting their arm up as to calling for the ball from a teammate. Here is a quiz: once a forward running with the ball, beats the last defender and he is alone coming up to the goalkeeper, where is the offside line?

well, if this lineup is for real, then its nice to see Atiba in midfield to help generate some offence and scoring chances.. Kind of strange to see Brennan and Simpson on the bench though considering we need about 3 goals here.. I thought Josh had found his legs last game and was great, made a lot of nice runs up the wing and had no fear in taking guys on.. And for all the heat Peters has taken on this board over the last 6 months for not being ready,, he sure has made things happen out there with limited playing time.. Hope to see him , along with Josh and Brennan in the second half if we need some offence..

quote:Originally posted by Soccer_Josh

Results vs. Cuba

1981-Canada 2-2 Cuba

1996-Canada 2-0 Cuba

1996-Canada 2-0 Cuba

1999-Canada 0-0 Cuba

2000-Canada 1-0 Cuba

2000-Canada 0-0 Cuba

2003-Canada 0-2 Cuba

3Wins-1Loss-3Ties-7GF-4GA

...So in the last 6 years we've scored 1 goal against cuba? And how many do we need tonight?....

Obviously the odds are against going through, I just hope Peters stars as he has looked very dangerous every time he's played

quote:Originally posted by kelownaguy

well, if this lineup is for real, then its nice to see Atiba in midfield to help generate some offence and scoring chances.. Kind of strange to see Brennan and Simpson on the bench though considering we need about 3 goals here.. I thought Josh had found his legs last game and was great, made a lot of nice runs up the wing and had no fear in taking guys on.. And for all the heat Peters has taken on this board over the last 6 months for not being ready,, he sure has made things happen out there with limited playing time.. Hope to see him , along with Josh and Brennan in the second half if we need some offence..

I think you have it right on. Both JB and Josh have started the first two games. If FY thought either one could give him 90 I think they would be in there to start. I think we will see Josh come on in the second half at left mid. It will be fun to watch. He will be ready to run at the defence with out having to be the guy watching for the quick counter attack. I think it will bring more of our team in to the attack and the results will be more to our liking.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Here is a quiz: once a forward running with the ball, beats the last defender and he is alone coming up to the goalkeeper, where is the offside line?

The offside line is the line the ball forms. I think the offside rule is that you have to be ahead of both the second last defender and</u> the ball in order to be offside. Or, you can't be offside if you are behind the ball. At least that is the way a coach explained it to me :D when I was (much) younger.

Archived