Canada vs Honduras, Swangard July 2

Richard

July 2nd, Swangard Stadium, 7:00pm

Kingsway and Boundary, Burnaby BC, easily and conveniently accessible by Skytrain. Avoid traffic congestion and parking hassles, use transit.

Come out to support Canada in their only visit to Vancouver this summer in preparation for the 2005 Gold Cup!

Tickets from as little as $16.00.

To book your tickets please call:

Jeff Shea at 604-669-9283 Ext 222 or Email: jshea@whitecapsfc.com.

http://www.pcsl.org/advertising/CANADA-vs-HONDURAS.pdf

Vancouver area fans might be "soccered out" that weekend. The BC provincial youth championships will be held that weekend, and there will also be PCSL games.

But the game at Swangard will probably be the best entertainment because of the large number of spanish speaking fans who will show up to cheer on Honduras. They challenge the Canadian fans to see who has better fans. Are we up to the challenge?

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

Me and a buddy are going - who else is up for a yell?

I'll be there. Hate to argue with Rocketman, who has soem ideas from outerspace, but it won't be 3-0 Honduras. I predict a one goal victory, but I don't know who will win.

I'll be there with a contingent of friends. We're looking at it as a warm up for the drunken debauchery that will be the Gold Cup in Seattle (as should the Canadian MNT, minus the drunken debauchery part, of course).

I'm predicting a solid 2-0 win to Canada, as with this game not meaning anything we shouldn't get screwed by the refereeing as we did in the WCQ.

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

I could see Franks getting the start, seeing as it is his home pitch...

I don,t know about the friendly but this article says that Sutton will start the GC. If I were Yallop I would play my #1 the whole game.

http://news.newstimeslive.com/story.php?id=72535&category=Sports

Sutton in line to start for Canadian team

Bethel High graduate shines in goal for national sqaud

By Jim Stout THE NEWS-TIMES

One goalkeeper for the Canadian National soccer team has been passed over for the job because he does not have a club side to play with. Another keeper has not performed in any kind of international match with Canada in four years, since the Olympic qualifying games of 2001.

That leaves Canadian coach Frank Yallop, who is preparing his team for the 2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup tournament next month in the U.S., with only one logical choice as his starting keeper — former Bethel resident and Bethel High graduate Greg Sutton.

“It’s basically my job to lose,” Sutton said. “Let’s hope I don’t.”

When Yallop announced his roster for the Gold Cup late last week, it came with no surprise that Sutton, a Hamilton, Ont., native, was named to the team. He has been the best goalkeeper in the United Soccer League’s First Division over the last two seasons with the champion Montreal Impact, and is the USL’s reigning MVP.

Sutton is also the owner of the last victory and shutout by the full Canadian national team, having beaten Northern Ireland, 1-0, last February in a friendly at Windsor Park in Belfast. Yallop’s choice was basically a no-brainer.

But anytime a player — keeper or otherwise — is handed a starting national team job for the first time for a major international event, the news ranks as monumental. Sutton, who has a flair for the understatement, treated the development in his typically reserved tones.

“It’s a challenge, obviously, and an honor, and hopefully I can live up to it,” he said by phone on Monday from Montreal.

“The entire team is looking forward to the challenge. Frank has come into the program (since early 2004) and made some changes in the way things are done and the way the teams are selected, and everyone is very positive. I’ll just be doing the best job I can to hold up my end.”

Canada will begin play in the 12-nation Gold Cup at Qwest Field in Seattle on July 7 against Costa Rica. Two days later, it will face the United States.

The four teams in this particular group — Canada, the U.S., Costa Rica and Cuba — then come east for a July 12 doubleheader at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro; Canada will play Cuba in Foxboro in the second game of a Group B doubleheader. Canada is ranked 85th in the world, while Cuba is No. 70, Costa Rica No. 24 and the U.S. No. 10.

The Gold Cup quarterfinals and semifinals will held in Foxboro, Houston and Giants Stadium, with the championship game scheduled for July 24 at the Meadowlands.

Team Canada opened its training camp for the tournament on Monday in Vancouver, though Sutton and his four Montreal teammates who were also selected won’t be joining the rest of the group until Friday. That’s because the undefeated Impact (5-0-4) have a USL game on Thursday in Portland, Ore., against the Timber that has to be attended to first.

Sutton, 28, has posted six shutouts in eight games for Montreal this season, though he missed his team’s last USL match after getting kicked in the head by a teammate during practice and suffering a mild concussion.

Canada will play a Gold Cup warm-up match on Sunday in Vancouver against Honduras before heading to Seattle the next day.

Sutton’s backup for the Gold Cup will be Mike Frank of the USL’s Vancouver Whitecaps. Sutton and Franks shared goalkeeping duties four years ago during Canada’s failed attempt at qualifying for the 2002 Summer Olympics.

Lars Hirschfeld, who started Canada’s last game, a 4-1 loss to Portugal, was not selected for the team because he is presently without a club team, having last played with Leicester City of England in the spring.

For the 6-foot-6 Sutton, who played both soccer and basketball at St. Lawrence University, his first July start with Canada will his third on the full international stage. In addition to beating Northern Ireland last February, he debuted in January 2004 with a 1-0 win against Barbados.

With the U.S. and Costa Rica grouped with Canada for the opening of the Gold Cup, the competition suddenly stiffens.

“This is what you strive for, to compete at the highest level possible,” said Sutton. “It will be good for me to be put to the test.”

http://news.newstimeslive.com/story.php?id=72535&category=Sports

quote:Originally posted by snake

the game will be competing with live aid on the 2nd of july.the police and van halen with david lee roth are slated to play.gotta love rock reunions,now if only goddo got back together.

The game will also be competing with the Whitecaps Men's game from Portland on TEAM 1040. It's going to be interesting to watch one game live while listening to another game live on the radio.

quote:Originally posted by snake

the game will be competing with live aid on the 2nd of july.the police and van halen with david lee roth are slated to play.gotta love rock reunions,now if only goddo got back together.

The game will also be competing with the Whitecaps Men's game from Portland on TEAM 1040. It's going to be interesting to watch one game live while listening to another game live on the radio.

quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

how many voyagerus are going to make up the section that matters?

I've invited all Voyageurs and Southsiders to join me in Section A rows 1 and 2.I'm not sure that will be the section that matters but thats where the Voyageur banners will be hung.

Not too many of you have replied or even purchased your tickets yet.I hope you get up off your asses and come out and cheer.It should be a lot more exciting than most of the Caps games this year.

quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

how many voyagerus are going to make up the section that matters?

I've invited all Voyageurs and Southsiders to join me in Section A rows 1 and 2.I'm not sure that will be the section that matters but thats where the Voyageur banners will be hung.

Not too many of you have replied or even purchased your tickets yet.I hope you get up off your asses and come out and cheer.It should be a lot more exciting than most of the Caps games this year.

Not a bad articule. Hadn't realised Sutton was recovering from a concusion. Sure it's nothing too serious but OUCH.

And I'm also of the mind that Frankie really should play the man the full 90. Every minute with a new lineup will help.

Glad to hear Sutton has been (more or less) settled on as Canada's #1. As mentioned, rightly or wrongly if the job's his it's his to loose. The gloves has been thrown down. If Franks, Lars, Kenny or whoever want it there it is. They just need to prove that they can do better.

Think I write this everytime Sutton comes up but big lad.

Not a bad articule. Hadn't realised Sutton was recovering from a concusion. Sure it's nothing too serious but OUCH.

And I'm also of the mind that Frankie really should play the man the full 90. Every minute with a new lineup will help.

Glad to hear Sutton has been (more or less) settled on as Canada's #1. As mentioned, rightly or wrongly if the job's his it's his to loose. The gloves has been thrown down. If Franks, Lars, Kenny or whoever want it there it is. They just need to prove that they can do better.

Think I write this everytime Sutton comes up but big lad.

I think the comment re: Number 1 'is mine to lose' is related to the Gold Cup Tourney only. I question whether Yallop could have concluded that Sutton is number one based on the results so far. With respect, Barbados and Northern Ireland were hardly tests. Nevertheless, he does have a chance to make a case for himself for the Number 1 and a strong performance against the US and Costa Rica might put him in the drivers seat.

Since our good friend Mr. Rogers can't be bothered to cover this game, are there any options to see the game (other than a cross country trip?) Any chance that a local Vancouver TV station will have a crew videotaping the game, if only so they can show highlights on their evening sportscast? If such a tape existed, then perhaps after they are done with it (say a couple of days later) someone at the station would let us use it to make a torrent file. It's a longshot I know, but if anyone in Vancouver is on good terms with the local media outlets, it may be worth making a couple of phone calls. Alternatively, perhaps the Whitecaps might have someone taping the game? Does Alan Douglas still frequent this board?

quote:Canada is ranked 85th in the world, while Cuba is No. 70, Costa Rica No. 24 and the U.S. No. 10.

i know its off topic, but everytime i read the U.S. ranking, it boggles my mind.....top ten!!!!...they are ahead of italy right now...who would bet on the americans to win even one out of ten meaningful matches against the azzuri?

ok..i have said my peace...continue.

Archived