Serbia - Italy in Toronto

Jarrek

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

I dont understand why Canada cant play any of these teams WTF they organize s(h)it like this yet we the true canadian fans cant ever catch a break and watch our boyz in action

Because there are more Italian and Serbian football fans in Toronto than Canadian football fans. That simple.

Nice grammar:

"So far it’s known that the match will be played on a stadium with 43,000 seats and that there will not be any tickets available in no time from being put to sale as the interest will be sky high."

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Nice grammar:

"So far it’s known that the match will be played on a stadium with 43,000 seats and that there will not be any tickets available in no time from being put to sale as the interest will be sky high."

I enjoyed that. From what I understand, they will be playing on the roof of the SkyDome and no tickets will be sold despite the high demand.

It's the little things....

quote:Originally posted by FC Beast

The CSA will demand a cut for the game being in their territory, and would get more then they would from a Canada game being played so they

will be happy.

normally i tend to disagree with beast.....cause normally i hate to bash the csa too much....but i think he may have a point on this one....ALTHOUGH we do have 1 or 2 friendlies leadin up to the gold cup so i dunno..

It's common practice for the host FA to take a cut from every international match played within its boundaries.

The USSF makes a killing from other nations playing friendlies in the States. Obviously the other nations make money too, because there are tons of int'l friendlies in the US involving all sorts of teams from across the globe.

If those other nations don't like it, they can play somewhere else.

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

normally i tend to disagree with beast.....cause normally i hate to bash the csa too much....but i think he may have a point on this one....ALTHOUGH we do have 1 or 2 friendlies leadin up to the gold cup so i dunno..

I was just at the CSA site and the national side has no games prior

to the Gold Cup, unless they have yet to announce their plans.

It's official. Wednesday June 8, 8pm at the SkyDome.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/may11j.html

I expect this to be a highly experimental squad for Italy, considering that there will most likely still be a few Serie A teams playing after this game. The squad will probably look a lot like the one that recently played Iceland after the Scotland WCQ.

It's official. Wednesday June 8, 8pm at the SkyDome.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/may11j.html

I expect this to be a highly experimental squad for Italy, considering that there will most likely still be a few Serie A teams playing after this game. The squad will probably look a lot like the one that recently played Iceland after the Scotland WCQ.

Well as a Canadian I feel somewhat less insulted that they aren't playing Canada in Toronto since they aren't playing the US in the US either, but its still annoying. Canada has played Italy in Toronto before, no reason why we can't do it now. Especially as with Italy playing it doesn't matter who they are playing against in Toronto, the potential for a sell-out is still there.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Well as a Canadian I feel somewhat less insulted that they aren't playing Canada in Toronto since they aren't playing the US in the US either, but its still annoying. Canada has played Italy in Toronto before, no reason why we can't do it now. Especially as with Italy playing it doesn't matter who they are playing against in Toronto, the potential for a sell-out is still there.

I agree. I'm pretty sure Canada vs. Italy or Serbia would do well at the gate. Not even the CSA could screw this one up.

The only thing is do they want to play Canada? But since it seems like this will be B teams (or A-minus teams), why would they not?

The other thing, Canada vs. Italy or Serbia or a couple others, and it will be 50 000 people cheering against Canada in Canada's biggest city. Do we really want this? Cause I think it does more damage to the image of Canadian soccer, then the benefits of the 1 game.

I really don't want to start and other East-West thing, but Canada-Italy in front of 50 000 pro-Canada in Edmonton, now that's an other story...

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Whose fault do you think that is? These teams not wanting to play Canada, or the CSA not trying to set it up that way? [[sounds sarcastic, but honest questions.]] I'd like to see the CSA questioned about this: "Was Canada's participation ever a possibility?"

I wonder what surface they'll use in SkyDome (I love the fact that the article uses "Skydome" rather than "Rogers Centre").

quote:Originally posted by Elias

I agree. I'm pretty sure Canada vs. Italy or Serbia would do well at the gate. Not even the CSA could screw this one up.

The only thing is do they want to play Canada? But since it seems like this will be B teams (or A-minus teams), why would they not?

The other thing, Canada vs. Italy or Serbia or a couple others, and it will be 50 000 people cheering against Canada in Canada's biggest city. Do we really want this? Cause I think it does more damage to the image of Canadian soccer, then the benefits of the 1 game.

I really don't want to start and other East-West thing, but Canada-Italy in front of 50 000 pro-Canada in Edmonton, now that's an other story...

I would love to see A Canada v Italy soccer game But I have to agree with Elias That I would like to see a pro Canada crowd than a pro Italy crowd. so if Edmonton would like to host it. Why not.

quote:Originally posted by marktci

Why not at least try to play a doubleheader with the MNT and some other (preferably beatable) nation? Play the Canadian game first.

How about Canada v Martinique II (Electric Boogaloo)?

This is actually a good idea. Italy-Serbia guaranteed will be sold out, and probably at a hefty price range, so the CSA should demand a cut big enough to cover all expenses for a Canada match. June 8 is a WC qualifier date so all Canadians should be available. As is June 4 so they could have the team together for a week in Toronto and do other events like promo stuff with local clubs or interviews or appearances or play maybe the Lynx (I'm sure Bruno won't have a problem with that) or CPSL sides. I dunno, it's like a month before the Gold Cup, maybe a match or two might maybe make sense...or not.

I guess the only issue would be the field, if they go with natural grass if it could last. And it would be embarassing if Canada played infront of 5 000 people, and then Italy-Serbia with 50 000.

This alleged match is actually just a few weeks away, so if they want a sell-out or even mostly-full stadium I would think it better be formally announced in Toronto soon - like within the next few hours - so that tickets can go on sale.

Well it took the Canadian media a day or two to actually catch this story. This Star article claims that Rogers is trying to be the promoter for the event.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Azzurri to play in Toronto June 8

MARK ZWOLINSKI

SPORTS REPORTER

The Azzurri, Italy's famed national soccer team, will play an international friendly against Serbia Montenegro at the Rogers Centre on June 8, according to the team's website.

The game and date were confirmed Wednesday by ANSA, Italy's national news wire service, but officials with the Rogers Centre refused comment.

Sources say Rogers is expected to try for a home run and reap in ticket sales, sponsorship revenue and media coverage as the game's organizer. But the communications giant remained tight-lipped about the Italian reports.

Sources also indicated talks between Rogers and the Azzurri are in the late stages.

A spokesman for the Canadian Soccer Association said it has not been contacted about the game.

The CSA says it would be acting as the host nation and would need to be contacted for approval.

FIFA, soccer's international governing body, has designated June 4 and June 8 as open days for international matches.

The Azzurri are scheduled to play a World Cup qualifier June 4 against Norway in Oslo, then fly to Toronto for the game against Serbia Montenegro on June 8.

The Azzuri then fly to New York for a game with Ecuador June 11 at Giants Stadium.

Archived