Serbia - Italy in Toronto

Jarrek

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the game have to be sanctioned by the CSA first and foremost?

Well if I were the CSA I would not grant permission for this game to take place as a way of repaying Rogers for the stadium debacle!

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2005/05/14/1039834-ap.html

Several Italian players may be left off US tour because of tight schedule

MILAN, Italy (AP) - Several of Italy's top players might miss a North American tour in June after the Italian league objected to its timing.

The league argued that the tour was organized in an overly busy end-of-season period.

The soccer federation, which is responsible for the national team, has arranged for Italy to play Serbia-Montenegro on June 8 in Toronto and Ecuador on June 11 at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

Reports said Italy coach Marcello Lippi wouldn't take the players who go to the World Cup qualifier against Norway on June 4.

He could also leave home some national team regulars set to play an Italian Cup final June 12. Inter Milan, Udinese, AS Roma and Cagliari are in the competition's semifinals.

League officials also noted that a potential playoff for the Serie A title is set for June 14. With three rounds to play, Juventus leads AC Milan by just three points.

Adriano Galliani, president of the Italian league and vice-president of AC Milan, wouldn't comment on his talks with federation president Franco Carraro this week regarding the tour.

quote:Originally posted by dime

Have the ticks for this game gone on sale yet?

No.

Tickets for the Italy-Ecuador match in New York go on sale tomorrow (Thursday) through Ticketmaster. But nothing is listed for the Toronto game. I don't think everything is finalized yet. Although it's only 3 weeks away.

Besides, I'm sure they could switch it to NYC or Boston or Chicago and get a good crowd.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

With the alleged date being so close I have a bit of difficulty believing the match will actually happen.

Okay! So you don't believe the Italian and Serbian FA's, but you believe the CSA and the Leafs and the Argos.

Kidding. Relax. It's a joke. Chill. [:P]

Ok, here's the situation. I've called the Rogers Centre numerous times and the CSA. The CSA up until yesterday still maintains that no one has contacted them regarding this game. The Rogers Centre claims that the promoter "jumped the gun" on announcing the event and that the promoter is still in negotiations. I sent an email to the promoter in Italy a few days ago and I got a response this morning. In the email the promoter advised to stay patient and that there will be a press conference organized announcing the details of the match within the next week....talk about cutting it close. All of this sounds way too political and it it's obvious that someone is out to try and make some good money, maybe the CSA still feels scorned over the York University fiasco.

It looks like the announcement will come this morning:

Azzurri announcement today

Italy expected to play Serbia-Montenegro June 8 at dome

Former NASL star Chinaglia scheduled to confirm game

MARK ZWOLINSKI

SPORTS REPORTER

The Italian Soccer Federation says details are being worked out.

The Canadian Soccer Association says it hasn't been contacted.

Rogers Centre officials will say only that there's a news conference today.

Toronto soccer fans have been befuddled by such vagueness for the past week, but organizers will announce today that Italy's national soccer team will play a friendly against Serbia-Montenegro on June 8 at the Rogers Centre.

Soccer aficionados have been phoning the Rogers Centre, newspapers and the CSA since the Italian soccer federation and ANSA, the Italian national newswire service, announced the game and the date more than a week ago on their respective websites.

Since then, however, all involved have been reluctant to confirm details, leaving an air of mystery over an event due to take place in less than a month.

Finally, at 6:30 p.m. yesterday, Rogers announced it would hold a press conference today at 11 a.m. featuring Giorgio Chinaglia, the most prolific scorer in North American Soccer League history who played 14 internationals for the Azzurri, including two in the 1974 World Cup.

There were few details about the press conference, other than it was to announce "a major sporting event."

Chinaglia is a senior vice-president of Champions World, a New Jersey-based company that organized a North American tour last summer featuring European soccer powers Roma, FC Porto, Liverpool and Scottish champion Celtic.

Two of the games were played at Rogers Centre.

Regardless of today's announcement, the CSA said yesterday that it still hadn't been contacted about the game.

"We expect to be (contacted) since we would be acting as the host country ... and our consent is needed before the event can go ahead," said CSA spokesperson Morgan Quarry.

It was not clear last night what the CSA would do if its consent wasn't sought.

The Azzurri are also scheduled to play Ecuador at Giants Stadium on June 11 in East Rutherford, N.J.

It's expected that Ticketmaster will handle the general sales for the game, with the Rogers Centre managing suites and club seating.

quote:Originally posted by zedsdead

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the game have to be sanctioned by the CSA first and foremost?

Well if I were the CSA I would not grant permission for this game to take place as a way of repaying Rogers for the stadium debacle!

There is suppose to be a media conference within the hour.Does anyone know the location and correct time.

quote:Originally posted by zedsdead

Why punish true soccer fans for the inept way in which the CSA handled the situation?? The CSA has had plenty of opportunities over the years to build a world class soccer facility. I hate to say this but I tip my hat to organizations like the Saputo family who care enough about the sport to do something about it. Too much politics at every level of the OSA and CSA.

I think the Rogers issues is a separate one though to the issue that these two national organizations (Italy's & Serbia's) should have at least the common courtesy to contact the CSA & USSF before announcing that they are going to walk in and play in Canada. I say that as being a fan of the Azzuri and far more satisfied with their soccer federation than I am with the CSA.

Unless of course it is not common courtesy and this happens all the time, that teams from two countries can show up at a third country and play in one of their big cities whilst not even acknowledging the existence of the third country.

TORONTO, May 20 /CNW/ - ROGERS CENTRE will play host to an international

soccer match between the national teams of ITALY and SERBIA-MONTENEGRO on

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 8 at 8:00 pm.

The details of the match were announced at a news conference today by

former Italian national team player GIORGIO CHINAGLIA. The game will be

contested on a natural grass surface to be temporarily installed in Rogers

Centre for this match. In 2004, Rogers Centre played host to a pair of soccer

games on natural grass featuring the likes of Glasgow Celtic, Porto, AS Roma

and Liverpool.

This game actually marks the first visit to North America for Italy since

its appearance in the final of the 1994 World Cup in the United States. It's

part of a two-game tour for the Italian team led by coach Marcello Lippi. On

June 11, Italy will face Ecuador in New Jersey at Giants Stadium. Italy, a

three-time FIFA World Cup Champion, and Serbia-Montenegro both currently lead

their respective qualifying groups as they continue preparations for the 2006

World Cup in Germany.

Tickets for the match between Italy and Serbia-Montenegro at Rogers

Centre go on sale at 2:00 pm this afternoon and will be available at all

Ticketmaster outlets, ticketmaster.ca, or charge by phone at (416) 872-5000.

The used the 500 level last year. I get the feeling that they are going to try to fill the 100 and 200 level before they start selling the 500 level for this event. I bet his is because of how late they made the announcement (which really pisses me off). I've been following the situation of the tickets since the initial announcement, and I still didn't find out the tickets were on sell until 1:45pm today. What a bunch of bastards.

quote:Originally posted by Red Star

Why punish true soccer fans for the inept way in which the CSA handled the situation?? The CSA has had plenty of opportunities over the years to build a world class soccer facility. I hate to say this but I tip my hat to organizations like the Saputo family who care enough about the sport to do something about it. Too much politics at every level of the OSA and CSA.

The CSA don't have the money to build a soccer stadium, they can't

even give Frank Yallop the proper funding to get the national team

together more than a couple of times a year.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Unless of course it is not common courtesy and this happens all the time, that teams from two countries can show up at a third country and play in one of their big cities whilst not even acknowledging the existence of the third country.

Seriously, that might be the case. Maybe this CSA regulation is relatively unique. I mean, this is the third time in less than a year that something like this has happened — are all these people screwing up, or are they just not aware because this isn't how it's done in most countries?

We've gone through this debate before, but personally I don't see this as being any different than any other form of entertainment. If a band, tractor pull, circus, whatever wants to bring their show to Canada, do they have to ask permission?

quote:Originally posted by FC Beast

The CSA don't have the money to build a soccer stadium, they can't

even give Frank Yallop the proper funding to get the national team

together more than a couple of times a year.

Then what you have to do is ask yourself where all this money is going?? Thousands of players in this country pay increasingly ridiculos registration fees that goes to the league they play in, which goes to the regional association that represents the league, which goes to the provincial association and then finally a percentage to the CSA. The money is certainly misdirected and mismanaged. I don't feel sorry for the CSA, they are a dinosaur of an organization and if they do not change they won't have to worry about digging for a stadium, they can dig their own grave.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Seriously, that might be the case. Maybe this CSA regulation is relatively unique. I mean, this is the third time in less than a year that something like this has happened — are all these people screwing up, or are they just not aware because this isn't how it's done in most countries?

We've gone through this debate before, but personally I don't see this as being any different than any other form of entertainment. If a band, tractor pull, circus, whatever wants to bring their show to Canada, do they have to ask permission?

Leading up to this exhibition match I contacted everyone, the CSA, the Rogers Centre, OMNI TV, The Toronto Star, SportsNet, the promoter for the match and finally FIFA because the match was listed on their website. They replied in about 12 hours and all they said was that they had nothing to do with the match but that I was on the right track because the match was being played in Canada and that it is the CSA that has to sanction the match. I'm not even sure if they got the match sanctioned by the CSA.

quote:Originally posted by Red Star

They replied in about 12 hours and all they said was that they had nothing to do with the match but that I was on the right track because the match was being played in Canada and that it is the CSA that has to sanction the match. I'm not even sure if they got the match sanctioned by the CSA.

Just to clarify, was it FIFA that told you that? Is it a FIFA requirement that the host country's federation has to sanction the match?

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Just to clarify, was it FIFA that told you that? Is it a FIFA requirement that the host country's federation has to sanction the match?

It is. Think of it as a franchise system. FIFA is the master-franchisor. The CSA is the Canadian-franchisee, therefore owns the Canadian rights. For example the owner of McDonalds Italy does not have the right to open a McDonalds in Toronto, they need the permission of McDonalds Canada.

However, this rule would not stand up in a court of law, that's why these games never get blocked. But then FIFA would just take care of things behind closed doors.

But, in this case, it's not the fault of the Italians or the Serbs, I think it's the fault of the promoter who should obviously know the rules, and should have worked something out with the CSA.

The difference with most other countries around the world is that there is not much of a market for two outside nations playing a friendly in a third country.

The USSF receives huge sums of money by sanctioning numerous international matches on American soil, where ex-pats of many nations live. The CSA would be fools not to cash in the same way.

There are only a small handful of countries that could regularily sell out exhibition matches between two national teams (of which neither is the home team), and perhaps the CSA should look into taking advantage of that unique situation, as the USSF does frequently these days.

Something is still fishy here. It seems as though FIFA have already sanctioned the match. But if it is a FIFA regulation that the CSA must also sanction it, then it would seem to me that FIFA, as the umbrella organization, should not have sanctioned it before the CSA does.

Archived