Gold Cup Schedule - Canada in Group B

SeanKeay

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

This was Canada's team for that match:

Canada: 22-Lars Hirschfeld; 2-Paul Fenwick; 3-Richard Hastings; 5-Jason deVos ©; 6-Jason Bent (14-Atiba Hutchinson, 68); 7-Paul Stalteri; 8-Daniel Imhof; 10-Kevin McKenna (9-Carlos Corazzin, 85); 11-Martin Nash (15-Maycoll Canizalez, 63); 12-Nick Dasovic; 16-Chris Pozniak; Head Coach Holger Osieck

Subs not used – Pat Onstad; Nevio Pizzolitto; Iain Hume; Davide Xausa

Wow, that team is a lot different than the one we used in the most recent WCQ.

Yes, different, but not the best team that we could have fielded at that time either. No Brennan, De Guzman, Tam, Radz, Pesch (probably missing someone else). Where is Dero, I though he was there, or was he coming off an injury and couldn't play until the Korea game.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by hottoddy7

The link won't work for me could someone fill me in on the other groups.Thanks.

group A-------group B-------group C

Honduras------Costa Rica----South Africa

Panama--------USA-----------Guatemala

T&T-----------Canada--------Mexico

Colombia------Cuba----------Jamaica

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

[quote Just watch the team that played Brazil in 2002 and tell me that the GC team was as good.

You have point there and I did agree with that aspect of your argument in my original post. However, I would not use the Brazil example to strenghten your argument but rather CRC's earlier games in the group stage of WC 2002 as better example. Against Brazil, they blew it with boneheaded strategy.

So your right in saying that CRC has proven that they can play with some elite sides in the world. Whereas, there is still no evidence of this with respect to our MNT judging from our results from 2002 to present in freindlies and otherwise

Bah.

Just realized that I am getting married and honeymooning in July and will miss most of the Gold Cup. (well, I didn't just realize that I am getting married, but I just realized that it conflicts with the Gold Cup)

And last time I was travelling and missed most of the Women's World Cup. Poor planning.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Bah.

Just realized that I am getting married and honeymooning in July and will miss most of the Gold Cup. (well, I didn't just realize that I am getting married, but I just realized that it conflicts with the Gold Cup)

And last time I was travelling and missed most of the Women's World Cup. Poor planning.

hey !!! Congrats!!!!

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

However, I would not use the Brazil example to strenghten your argument but rather CRC's earlier games in the group stage of WC 2002 as better example. Against Brazil, they blew it with boneheaded strategy.

True, but win or lose that game they played some beautiful soccer and I am proud of them for going toe to toe with Brazil. If you have the tape watch it again as the game could have been a lot closer than 5-2. Costa Rica missed a lot of chances. If we lost playing with that flair I wouldn't care.

Are you going to Seattle?

You have point there and I did agree with that aspect of your argument in my original post. However, I would not use the Brazil example to strenghten your argument but rather CRC's earlier games in the group stage of WC 2002 as better example. Against Brazil, they blew it with boneheaded strategy.

Agreed, and besides, the selection of the squad and whether the squad played to their potential in a given match are two entirely separate issues. Remember, that bonehead of a coach wasn't around in 2003 (un-suprisingly) - different coaches are apt to select different players, especially in different years. When you add this factor, along with the retirement of a number of players after the World Cup, the replacement of those retired players and possible injuries/loss of form/better form by newcommers, it is tough to say that we faced a "B" team. A- at the most.

That's my last post on this point - on to the excitement of the group ahead.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

That's my last post on this point - on to the excitement of the group ahead.

Oh no you dont...one more just for fun:

When the USA lost 1-0 (barely) to Italy, in Italy, before the last WC, which Italian team was that? :)

We are so overdue for a goal against the US (at the senior level, at least) that its not funny. Well, maybe it is if you're American. I can't recall the last time we scored against the US, or who got it. I think it was in 1990 or something.

That has to change. It must.

When the USA lost 1-0 (barely) to Italy, in Italy, before the last WC, which Italian team was that? :)

That game was in fact quite lopsided if you look at it from the way it unfolded rather than just the scoreboard. The US had only one scoring chance the whole game. It was a very good one mind you. The Italians scored in the 20-25th minute ( Gianini I believe) and then closed it down while still maintain confidence on the ball and strong ball possession. Aside from that one US chance, there was not even any reason to break a sweat.

Edit:

Also of note, in an earlier game at that WC, the US had gotten creamed by the czech republic 5-1 or 6-1. Understandably that eyes of world as well as american fans saw the worst coming given their upcomming match against the homeside Italians. I suspect the determination to avoid humiliation rather than the determination to earn a positive result had alot to do with the way the US played and the final score.

Assuming that the team placements are made partly based on audience potential, it is strange that Cuba wasn't placed in Group A instead of Panama to play in Miami. Also kind of lucky for us we are not playing Cuba in Miami which would be like playing an away game in Central America.

That game was in fact quite lopsided if you look at it from the way it unfolded rather than just the scoreboard. The US had only one scoring chance the whole game. It was a very good one mind you. The Italians scored in the 20-25th minute ( Gianini I believe) and then closed it down while still maintain confidence on the ball and strong ball possession. Aside from that one US chance, there was not even any reason to break a sweat.

Edit:

Also of note, in an earlier game at that WC, the US had gotten creamed by the czech republic 5-1 or 6-1. Understandably that eyes of world as well as american fans saw the worst coming given their upcomming match against the homeside Italians. I suspect the determination to avoid humiliation rather than the determination to earn a positive result had alot to do with the way the US played and the final score.

Hi,

You are thinking of the wrong game. I am referring to the exhibition before the 2002 World Cup, not Italia 90.

Paul

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

wow we play the yanks! that's great!!!!!

i watched that italian match. it was mostly a full italian squad. shoulda been about 5-1 though.

Hi,

I am not referring to Italia 90 (just in case).

Paul

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

it is strange that Cuba wasn't placed in Group A instead of Panama to play in Miami. Also kind of lucky for us we are not playing Cuba in Miami which would be like playing an away game in Central America.

I don't think so. In fact it would probably be the opposite. Playing Cuba in Miami would be like a home game for Canada.

I don't think so. In fact it would probably be the opposite. Playing Cuba in Miami would be like a home game for Canada.

How so?

There is a huge Cuban community in Miami.

This group is difficult, but definitely not impossible. We've beat Costa Rica before, we're a hell of a lot better then Cuba, if though we didn't prove it last time around, and the USA will be fielding a slightly weakened team because of the hex... so... the good thing is... we might have a shot at winning this group. We've got to have faith in our boys, too many of us are thinking so negatively after the WCQ disaster. Instead of thinking..."We might be able to get through into the next round"... why not think..."We got a realistic shot at winning this group".

Ok, your right. I misread the original post. The US were full marks for that close result in 2002. That 2002 team is not at all similar to the 1990 squad. I believe that they could give anyone a game today. They were also very close to reaching the WC semis in 2002 and would have faced Korea. Hence were not that far off from reaching the finals since they would have been favoured versus Korea. Therefore anyone who beats them 1-0 right now should be pretty happy with that result.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Exactly - the Cuban community in Miami would not cheer for Cuba unless there's a coup between now and then. The Gold Cup is always held in Miami and Cuba is never placed there.

Plus, since when have we had a home game where the majority of the fans were cheering for Canada? There is no such thing as a "home game", unless we are playing the US, I suppose.

Archived