Gold Cup Schedule - Canada in Group B

SeanKeay

I'm starting to look forward to this more and more now, sure we may not be facing the A teams of Costa Rica and U.S. but nevertheless the competition should still be very good, especially with us in somewhat of a rebuilding mode now getting younger guys more involved with the program for the next round of World Cup Qualifying. I realize the U.S. probably won't be using all their top guys, but I also don't think you'll see their "C" team as stated previously considering they will be playing in front of their own fans here and wanting to advance as far as possible. Very pumped we'll be playing in Seattle as well, I should have no problem making the 5 hour drive down as I've done it for several Seahawk games the past 2 seasons. And for those that haven't seen it, Qwest stadium in Seattle is an awesome venue to watch a sporting event

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to look forward to this more and more now, sure we may not be facing the A teams of Costa Rica and U.S. but nevertheless the competition should still be very good, especially with us in somewhat of a rebuilding mode now getting younger guys more involved with the program for the next round of World Cup Qualifying. I realize the U.S. probably won't be using all their top guys, but I also don't think you'll see their "C" team as stated previously considering they will be playing in front of their own fans here and wanting to advance as far as possible. Very pumped we'll be playing in Seattle as well, I should have no problem making the 5 hour drive down as I've done it for several Seahawk games the past 2 seasons. And for those that haven't seen it, Qwest stadium in Seattle is an awesome venue to watch a sporting event

quote:Originally posted by kelownaguy

I realize the U.S. probably won't be using all their top guys, but I also don't think you'll see their "C" team as stated previously considering they will be playing in front of their own fans here and wanting to advance as far as possible.

Agree, and further, Arena has to manage his own WCQ process and progress on the decision of what 23 guys go to Germany. This will mean, IMO, that while many of the top 11 guys won't be there, a lot of the ones who are will be in contention for the A team, even if as a squad player/reserve. I would be quite surprised if we see anyone outside of the top 40 US players.

It's likely the US will be missing a few players, but I suspect they will be pretty strong,as the home team (and they will have the homefield advantage against us, as well as Cuba). And who knows, they might be more inclined to take the tourney seriously if they are already virtually qualified by the time the Gold Cup is held. I think half the Hex is over with by that time and they've already started with a road victory.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Considering that WCQ will be in full swing and MLS will be mid season, I think the US team will be far from their best.

MLS season won't be a factor. Playoffs, the lack of meaningful cup competition and the absence of promotion and relegation has meant that in the history of the USSF/MLS there has only been one time - recently in fact, KC IIRC - where and MLS club has balked a releasing players. Arena responded by not calling any KC players for a few games. If it were the MLS playoff, then there might be a problem but regular season - not a chance.

A "B Team" means a team comprised of players who are not currently part of the "A Team" at all. For example, the "B Team" that represented Canada against Millwall and Hearts consisted of a mix of U-20s & U-23s (ie. Simpson and Occean), plus some players who had been capped in the past but been out of the national team mix for a long time (ie. Menezes and Biello) and uncapped players the coach was bringing in for the first time ever (ie. Serioux and Grande).

Simply using backups from your A Team does not mean you are sending a B Team.

I therefore don't think that the USA and Costa Rica (or, for that matter, Mexico and the other teams in the hex) will be sending the "B teams". Yes, they will probably all rest key members of their starting 11s (especially their European-based players) and instead give their backups a chance to play, but A Team backups are not a B Team. They may also bring in a few newcomers, but that's little different than Holger giving Julian DeGuzman and Chris Pozniak their first caps at the 2002 Gold Cup. At worst, they will be A- or B+ teams.

Factor in the reality that Canada will also probably be leaving out a number of European-based pros and the reality is that we, too, will be sending an A- team. That means the matches between Canada, the USA and Costa Rica will be fair fights. In our group, only Cuba will be bringing an A Team.

Based on this grouping and from an unbiased point of view, I will predict Canada will finish with a record of one tie and two losses, the tie coming against Cuba. I don't expect to see any miracles as per our previous WC qualifying record. More heartache ahead for Frank Yallop.:(

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Plus, since when have we had a home game where the majority of the fans were cheering for Canada? There is no such thing as a "home game", unless we are playing the US, I suppose.

When's the last time we played you guys in Canada? 97?

quote:Originally posted by MikeD

A "B Team" means a team comprised of players who are not currently part of the "A Team" at all. For example, the "B Team" that represented Canada against Millwall and Hearts consisted of a mix of U-20s & U-23s (ie. Simpson and Occean), plus some players who had been capped in the past but been out of the national team mix for a long time (ie. Menezes and Biello) and uncapped players the coach was bringing in for the first time ever (ie. Serioux and Grande).

To me, either it is the best team or it isn't. If the teams coming to this tournament are not the same teams that are being used in WCQs (barring injuries), then 'I' will not refer to them as an 'A' or an 'A-' team and I will judge Canada's performance accordingly (which means not taking a win over half the American/Costa Rican team out of context). This tournament is still a long ways away from capturing the imagination of the best players in our confederation and I think this will be reflected in who shows up this summer. In a legit tournament the best teams are fielded, not experimental, B, A- or otherwise.

Also, on a side note, CONCACAF has to stop inviting teams as it further diminishes this tournament. Would it really hurt the tournament to let two more CONCACAF countries in? I would much rather see Haiti and El Salvador than S. Africa and Colombia. I think it is insulting that these two teams, probably the strongest in CONCACAF to not qualify, have been left out. Just imagine if Canada didn't qualify, as we've had to in the past, and an invitee got our place. The time may come soon enough that we will have to participate in a qualifying round. Should S. Africa get our place if we finish second (or whatever) in qualifying?

Interesting article I found. I don't think it's been posted here yet:

Canada to start play in Seattle at summer Gold Cup men's soccer tournament

Updated at 19:02 on March 2, 2005, EST.

(CP) - Canada's draw at this summer's Gold Cup men's soccer tournament appears full of both challenge and opportunity.

Frank Yallop's team, ranked 85th in the world, has been placed in Group B for the July 6-24 CONCACAF championship with the host United States (No. 11), Costa Rica (No. 27) and Cuba (No. 71) with first-round games in Seattle and Foxboro, Mass.

The top two teams in each group and the two best third-place finishers will advance to the quarter-finals of the 12-team tournament, which includes two non-CONCACAF guest sides in Colombia and South Africa.

The challenge comes in the form of the U.S. and Costa Rica, ranked No. 2 and No. 3 respectively after Mexico in CONCACAF, which covers North and Central America and the Caribbean.

The opportunity for Canada includes playing two games - July 7 against Costa Rica and July 9 against the U.S. - in front of appreciative Canadian fans at Seattle's QWest Field, a relatively short drive from the border.

Canada's final first-round game is July 12 against Cuba at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro. With Cuba one of the weaker sides in the field, that provides Canada with a final first-round match where a win should entail survival.

The draw also allows the Canadians a chance at redemption. Cuba beat Canada 2-0 at the 2003 Gold Cup, hastening the team's departure, while Costa Rica defeated Yallop's team 3-1 and 1-0 in World Cup qualifying play last year.

"Some unfinished business with them," Yallop, speaking from Vancouver, said of the Cubans. "And Costa Rica, I'd like to have another crack at it to see if we can get over that hump.

"Obviously the U.S. is a great game for us. I'm really excited about that one."

There is also opportunity in finishing in the top two of the group. That means staying in Foxboro for the quarter-finals. A third-place finish could entail a trip to Houston against the top team in Group C.

Group A, based in Miami, features Honduras (No. 58), Panama (No. 101), Trinidad and Tobago (No. 62) and Colombia (No. 26). Group C, playing out of the Los Angeles area and Houston, comprises South Africa (No. 40), Guatemala (No. 70), defending champion Mexico (No. 6) and Jamaica (No. 46).

The semifinals and final are at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

Canada had asked to play the first round in Seattle, but expected to end up in Miami. So team officials were pleasantly surprised at Wednesday's draw, noting the more temperate Pacific Northwest weather would be more suited to Canada's European-based players than the oppressive heat of south Florida in July.

Still players from Europe may find the extra three time zones an unwelcome addition to an already awkward transatlantic commute.

The tournament is CONCACAF's prime money-maker, so the draw is heavily impacted by box office factors. CONCACAF officials said Canada was put in Group B because of the proximity of Seattle to the border.

"Certainly while there are many snowbirds in Miami, we haven't found that has provided a major attraction to Canada's participation in Miami venues," CONCACAF general secretary Chuck Blazer said in a conference call.

That's also why Mexico was placed in Los Angeles, and Honduras, Panama and Colombia were drawn in Miami.

On the competitive front, CONCACAF also ensured that the six teams in the final round of World Cup qualifying in the region were equally divided across the three groups.

The draw may prompt the Canadian Soccer Association to move a planned July 1 friendly against an as-yet unidentified CONCACAF team to Vancouver from Kingston, Ont.

In 2002, Canada started in Miami and progressed to Pasadena, Calif., finishing third. In 2000, Canada stayed on the West Coast, playing in San Diego and Los Angeles en route to the championship.

Tickets for the Gold Cup will go on sale March 16.

Notes: The Vancouver Whitecaps will operate reserve men's and women's teams (aged 18 to 21) this season, playing in the Pacific Coast Soccer League .... The Toronto Lady Lynx have made Canadian under-19 midfielder Amanda Cicchini their first ever signing.

Archived