Starting Lineup vs. Guatemala - ANNOUNCED

RS

On Sportsnet News they ran a piece on the WCQ, and Gene Principe announced that tomorrow's starting lineup will see three changes from the one that played the first match against Belize: Occean, Simpson and Pizzolitto will start.

So with that info our lineup looks like this:

--------------- Onstad -----------------

Stalteri -- Watson - Pizzolitto -- Jazic

De Rosario -- Imhof - De Guzman -- Simpson

------------ Occean - Pesch --------------

Looks like Yallop wants to attack again. Wonder if that will catch the Guats off guard, they are use to us sitting back and countering.

Id imagine that Serioux might get on in the second half come on for Pesh and have Dero move forward. I could be wrong might be peters.

Our backs are even weaker then the last round! Thats obvious without DeVos but Watson still a central defender Yallop must have smoked some BC Bud. Look for Pesh and Watson to come off at the half.

Thanks for posting this. I guess this is confirmation that Yallop rates Josh Simpson ahead of Jim Brennan at left mid, which absolutely staggers me. Yallop is either a fool or a friggin' genious.

Not surprised to see Pizzolitto and Watson in the middle. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks Watson is going to be our weak link at the back.

Can't wait to see DeGuzman start carving up the Guatemalan midfield [}:)]

22 hours and 41 minutes to go...

Guest Georgio

Watson scares me when you got quick skilled diminutive guys running at him (actually when pretty much anyone runs at him with pace). I am not sure we can afford any of his backing up, backing up, backing up .... oh my! you weren't supposed to fake and then shoot.

Or the I can't control the ball away from the opposition move.

All I got to say is I hope I have the three worst international games of Watson's life on tape.

I like everything else given what we have.

Break a leg Watty!

Pretty much what I expected. I thought Serioux might play right mid and DeRo might play up front, with Pesch on the bench. If Pesch can't go 90, wouldn't be surprised to see DeRo push forward and Peters takes over on the right.

I think the key will be limiting Guatemala's time on the ball and forcing them to play long to Pezzarossi's head. He's good in the air, but so are we. As long as we win the balls in the air or at least win the second ball on those we should be okay. We can't let Ruiz or even Romero or Rodriguez run at us. Our central defenders can do the business.

cheers,

matthew

i think what yallop is going for with watson is heart, and experience. hopefully a)that's enough and b)watson reads this board and it get's him pumped up rather than having him doubt himself.

i say let them run at us all they want. our midfield is strong enough to shut them down, and our wing backs could compete with any forwards in any of the top 4 leagues in the world.

our attack is obviously our strength (thank god - it needs to be in this region as there will be 3-2 games) and we have more than capable substitutes.

though i haven't seen occean play, from what we've all heard and read from the norwegians, he will absolutely terrify the guatemalans by the 10th minute mark and it will force them to completely alter their defensive preparations. no way they have video or scouting on this guy - wait, did they come to vancouver for the B's?

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

wait, did they come to vancouver for the B's?

Yeah, their coaching staff was in Burnaby for the 'B' matches, so they'll no doubt know about Occean.

It won't make a difference though. I predict that Occean scores the second goal in a 2-1 Canada win. [8D]

No major suprises here with the Starting 11. This obviously isn't our STRONGEST and most RELIABLE squad we COULD of had, but I'm almost certain that our squad has enough class and talent to have no problem with these Guats. Our outside backs, Jazic and Stalteri are both experienced players and both have tons of class, especially Stalteri. Not too sure about our central defense, but I'm sure we'll be okay. Midfield is so solid, we have so much depth; DeRo and Simpson will be running at these Guats all night long, and DeGuzman and Imhof in the middle is such a deadly combination, most likely to control the entire game from start to finish. Would of liked to see Occean and Radz upfront, but unfortunately because of Radzs' injury this can't happen, so I guess Pesch will have to do :). Big man and a small man combination is always deadly!

My concern with the line up (assuming it is the line up) is that we have no strikers in reserve and Pesch starting from the outset (and i am not entirely sure he can go 90). I guess there are still alternatives, you could throw on Peters in the second half for Pesch and move De Rossario forward (or possibly just play Peters up front). I probably would be a bit more conservative and start Serioux on the right and put Pesch on the bench.

I think I would also consider playing Gervais with Pizzolito at the back as they day in day out with the Impact. This being said, without De Vos, I think we may need a Watson back there for his experience in organising the defense even if it may mean we can be burned for pace back there (remember though that Stalteri and Jazic are both extremely quick).

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

My concern with the line up (assuming it is the line up) is that we have no strikers in reserve and Pesch starting from the outset (and i am not entirely sure he can go 90). I guess there are still alternatives, you could throw on Peters in the second half for Pesch and move De Rossario forward (or possibly just play Peters up front). I probably would be a bit more conservative and start Serioux on the right and put Pesch on the bench.

That's also my biggest concern...Im worried that Pesch won't last the 90, and that dero mite not be 100% fit since for a couple days there he couldnt eat much if anything. so if both of those guys can't pull through the whole match i think we could maybe move stalteri up like in the last gold cup (he scored our goal vs CR) in a sort paul scholes position...not all-out striker but a lil more than an offensive mid player. If u moved him up and subed out Pesch for serioux and the put in peters for dero we'd be good to go.....top that off by puttin in gervais for watson and he'd be ready for a win :D

For those speculating about Serioux coming on to play right midfield, I think it's far more likely we would see Peters there with De Rosario moving up to striker to replace Pesch. Serioux either plays right back (and would thus be a candidate to replace Stalteri there should Stalteri be moved up) or to replace Imhof in defensive midfield. Peters sounds, from most accounts, to be an attacking player and would make more sense to come on as the right-sided midfielder.

Now what happens if Simpson gets hurt, I don't know. Maybe Julian moves to the left & Atiba goes in the middle.

On the other hand, if we're defending a narrow lead late in the match, perhaps then Serioux would be a more appropriate sub at right mid since he's a more experienced and defensive-oriented player than Peters.

Also, I just wanted to add that DeGuzman has played striker for Canada in the past at the U-20 level so he, along with Stalteri and DeRosario, could be moved up to striker if Pesch or Occean need to be subbed off.

Hey guys. The past week has seen me feel pretty confident about this match, just being very business-like about it, not getting emotional or excited. Today, THE NERVES HIT. Ouch, I a wreck right now, and the match is 8 hours from now. I don't know how I'll make it through the day (most likely lots of alcohol...think my boss would notice? :))

Line-up is pretty much as I expected, except for the Simpson nod, over Hutchinson. Looking forward to seeing this new-look team tonight.

I'm thinking that Peters, Hutchinson and maybe Serioux will get sub time. Biello, Gervais and Sutton to watch, barring any surprises.

I also predict that Watson will play the full 90 minutes and won't be sending us any Christmas cards this year. :D

I sympathize. This wcq is killing me so far and it hasn't even started.

1) 6.75 hours till kickoff with a team that's much different from what I thought it would be 2 weeks ago.

2) Moving at the end of month.

3) 2 more games in 2-3 weeks.

3) Getting married in 5 weeks.

I'm nothing but nerves and stress, baby! Nerves and stress!

Archived