Both Belize WC matches to be played in Kingston

ray

Ottawa, Ontario – The Canadian Soccer Association today announced its Men’s World Cup Team will play both of their World Cup Qualifying games against Belize at Richardson Stadium (Queen’s University campus) in Kingston, Ontario. The first game will be played on Sunday, June 13 (4:30 p.m. kickoff) with the second game scheduled for Wednesday, June 16 at 7:00 p.m. ET.

The second game of the series was originally scheduled for June 20 in Belize, however the Belize Football Federation asked the CSA to host the game in Canada.

Tickets for the first game are now available while those for the second game will be available as of Monday, April 5.

Tickets are for sale through the Southeast Ontario Soccer Association and Queen’s University. Group tickets (soccer community) on the East Stand are being sold by the SOSA at $8.00 each for the first game and $5.00 for the second. SOSA is located at 1201 Division Street in Kingston.

West Stand tickets are being sold by Queen’s University at the Physical Education Centre Ticket Office with center seating priced at $29.00 each, and wings section tickets at $15.00 for each game. Please note that the SOSA will have some West Stand tickets for sale for those wishing to purchase individual tickets.

Richardson Stadium is a 10,000 seat grass facility on the campus of Queen’s University.

The winner of the Canada-Belize series (Group 8) will play the winners of Group 5 (Cayman Islands, Cuba, Costa Rica), Group 6 (Aruba, Surinam, Guatemala) and Group 7 (Antigua & Barbuda, Netherlands Antilles, Honduras) in the semi-final round. The six games will be played between August and November, 2004.

More ticket information:

Southeast Ontario Soccer Association

1201 Division Street

(in the Kingslake Plaza)

Kingston, ON

P: 613 546-6642

e-mail: soccer@kingston.net

http://www.soccersosa.ca/

Queen’s University - Physical Education Centre Ticket Office

Cash and Cheques sales

Monday - Friday 10:00 - 4:30 PM

Out of Town Credit Card Sales

1-613-533-6000 ext 74717

Monday - Friday 10:00 - 4:30 PM

For the first game there needs to be a big banner: "we're just getting warmed up"

Really, it's too bad that the dates of the games aren't farther apart as another part of the country could receive the second game. That said, logistically it's understandable that both teams would want to stay in one location over the short period of time.

As for tickets ... give me a while to think about this one. Feedback is welcome. I'm sure that there are some people who will want to take in the second match.

quote:Originally posted by Rodway

Does anyone know why Belize would want to give up their home game? The only thing I can think of is some kind of money issue.

I think the CSA rep mentioned a chance to spend more time at 'the home of Bob Marley' to the Belizean FIFA-sock-puppets and the rest is history.

While this is generally a positive development. It may not have been a bad thing for our players to get a taste of the Central American playing conditions against a weak side from this region. Now their first experience of these conditions will be against much stronger opposition and in a much more hostile atmosphere.

Guest Jeffery S.

I am sure that the away leg will be just that, with us as the official visiting team, perhaps even being required to change uniforms if Belize insists. I wonder even if they'll change dressing rooms. But for sure the score clock will have us as visitor for the 2nd game.

Didn't we play a Cuba away match in Alberta in the late 90s?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I am sure that the away leg will be just that, with us as the official visiting team, perhaps even being required to change uniforms if Belize insists. I wonder even if they'll change dressing rooms. But for sure the score clock will have us as visitor for the 2nd game.

Didn't we play a Cuba away match in Alberta in the late 90s?

Yes:

10 Oct 1996 Cuba Home W 2-0 World Cup Qual

13 Oct 1996 Cuba Home W 2-0 World Cup Qual

Strangely enough, Cuba also played both matches of a two-leg series for Olympic Qualifying in June, 1967 in Edmonton, Cuba advancing on the basis of a win 2-1 and a 1-1 draw. I believe it was the first international competitive match for Canada since the 1957 attempt, our first, to qualify for the World Cup.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

While this is generally a positive development. It may not have been a bad thing for our players to get a taste of the Central American playing conditions against a weak side from this region. Now their first experience of these conditions will be against much stronger opposition and in a much more hostile atmosphere.

Good point. But, this is after a very busy season in Europe, and in the middle of the North American and Scandinavian seasons, so any reduction of travel and inconvenience to our players should be appreciated, especially with the upcoming travel for the semis and (hope) hex. I would suggest that a route, depending on our schedule for the semis, would be a friendly at altitude in El Salvador (who would see us as relatively good preparation for facing the US) in mid-August, about 6 days before our home match on August 18 against Guatemala. Then, after our prospective Labour Day weekend match at Commonwealth on Septemebr 4, we could return to a familiar El Salvador for further acclimatization for few days (we do not want to spend the night in San Jose) before our September 8 match in San Jose, Costa Rica.

I believe the reason for the request from Belize and the approval by the FIFA Organizing Comittee was that Belize did not have an appropriate stadium (the World Cup 2006 Regualtions are very strict about stadium and pitch requirements, especially dimensions and quality), so there was really no choice in the matter. Serendipity!

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

I think it would be quite smarter to play the game in either Ottawa or Montreal. Both cities are not too far and I think the Men’s team should try to play in as many cities as it can to gain fan support. I dont see why it would be a problem

You are right about the need to increase the fan support.

I am only speculating here, but because both places have FieldTurf, they would need 60 day notice of wanting to play there under the WC2006 Regulations, and the FIFA Organizing Committee would have to have a hearing to grant the exception to the requirment to play on an artificial surface, even if approved (remember, the Regualtion rule that there be no "available" grass field). Since the request to have both games in Canada was a joint requset of both CSA and the Belize Association, I suspect one of two things was the determining factor:

1. Belize only would agree to expedite matters if they had the games in the same place in a short period of time (with perhaps the additional stipualtion that it not be on artificial turf), or

2. Pipe decided that the FieldTurf application card would better be played at the semis where the relative advantage for Canada would be greater. If Canada were to apply in late June to have the August 18 match against Guatemala in Montreal and the October 13 match against Costa Rica in Ottawa, then the cauldron of the controversy (I expect that the oposing teams would disagree and it could get quite messy) that would work in Canada's favour would be initiated then. Even if Ottawa and Montreal are not approved, then the resulting confusion would still work to our favour, and we could replace the sites to Vancouver or St. John's or Kelowna or Edmonton at the last minute quite easily (for us). Why show our hand to our toughest competition before we have to :D ?

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

2. Pipe decided that the FieldTurf application card would better be played at the semis where the relative advantage for Canada would be greater. If Canada were to apply in late June to have the August 18 match against Guatemala in Montreal and the October 13 match against Costa Rica in Ottawa, then the cauldron of the controversy (I expect that the oposing teams would disagree and it could get quite messy) that would work in Canada's favour would be initiated then. Even if Ottawa and Montreal are not approved, then the resulting confusion would still work to our favour, and we could replace the sites to Vancouver or St. John's or Kelowna or Edmonton at the last minute quite easily (for us). Why show our hand to our toughest competition before we have to :D ?

I'm not convinced by the often-repeated notion that playing on FieldTurf would be to our advantage, or at least I don't think it would have as much of an effect as some people seem to think. My reasoning is twofold: first, we are not going to be used to playing on FieldTurf ourselves; second, an extremely smooth surface would be conducive to the Central American style of play (short passes and flair on the ground).

So where do we gain an advantage with FieldTurf? Our opponents make a big fuss and get preoccupied by it instead of focussing on their game? Perhaps, but I don't think this would be at all significant and would be out-weighed by the points I made above. Besides, I think it's mainly the officials who complain while the players get on with their game. Also, the El Salvadorans seemed preoccupied by the weather in Kelowna but they held their own quite well (either that or they were better than us).

You could be right, DJT, I've never kicked a ball around personally on FieldTurf.

My loose opinion was mainly based on extrapolation, and watching the Brazil friendlies against the WNT last summer in Ottawa and Montreal (as well as the televised match against England in Ottawa last spring). The ball bounced a lot more than normal, the turf did not moderate the ball's squirting movement like it would on grass, and there is less of an inclination to slide and deke on natural turf, from what I observed. This was to the disadvantage, IMHO, of the possession/ball control Brazilianas, and a definite advantage to the puntandchase/aerial Canadians. I strongly believe that we would not have won all the games had the matches been on grass.

quote:Originally posted by Varsity Tyler

Really, it's too bad that the dates of the games aren't farther apart as another part of the country could receive the second game. .

I don't see why that is " too bad" as you put it. The way things are looking, these could be the last games in WCQ that will be played in eastern Canada. So there is no reason to feel sorry for other parts of the country since it is soccer fans in eastern canada whom we should feel sorry for. And, as you can tell from the price of the tickets and location, the opponent and match hardly represents and premium draw or big showcase for international soccer.

When the real matches start in the semi final round. Eastern canada will be shut out.

Archived