Both Belize WC matches to be played in Kingston

ray

quote:I don't see why it's "too bad"...

Toronto can host Belize. Ottawa can host Belize. Montreal can host Belize. St. John can host Belize. It doesn't have to be exclusively Kingston. That said, it's still in the east so I'm happy to go, and I do agree that the east isn't going to see many games after this series.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I'm not convinced by the often-repeated notion that playing on FieldTurf would be to our advantage, or at least I don't think it would have as much of an effect as some people seem to think. My reasoning is twofold: first, we are not going to be used to playing on FieldTurf ourselves; second, an extremely smooth surface would be conducive to the Central American style of play (short passes and flair on the ground).

So where do we gain an advantage with FieldTurf? Our opponents make a big fuss and get preoccupied by it instead of focussing on their game? Perhaps, but I don't think this would be at all significant and would be out-weighed by the points I made above. Besides, I think it's mainly the officials who complain while the players get on with their game. Also, the El Salvadorans seemed preoccupied by the weather in Kelowna but they held their own quite well (either that or they were better than us).

I would agree with your point and would add that We need to play in conditions that make our own players feel comfortable as well. In addition to your point about field turf, I think that we tend to over rate the weather-factor. I don't think that we have any players who were born and raised in the Canadian shield ( Most are from S Ontario Or BC) and they seldom play professionally in sub zero climates. The big myth that many canadians hold is that just because someone has lived in a more northern area, he or she possesses some mythical immunity to the cold weather. Trust me, 25 below zero feels the same to everyone and the only difference is that the person who has lived in those climates has a better idea of how to dress when its 20 below than a person from a warmer climate. You mentioned that it wasn't that big of an advantage when Canada played El Salvador in Kelowna, and you could also say that it wasn't that big of an advantage when Mex played Can at varsity in 2000 either. that is, on the scoreboard.

IMO, the CSA needs to look at professional-looking facilities when Canada plays its important matches. Canadian players and soccer fans at home and abroad need to feel that these matches are important and the setting for the games must reflect that fact. They cannot look for facilities in the hope of "freezing the oppponent" because it probably won't happen. You just can't produce the feel of importance or the hostile environment by playing important matches in facilities like King George V and Richardson's stadium. Field turf may not be the advantage that we think, but I still think that these facilities should be prefferred to the field and bleacher style location wherby you can't realistically expect more than 4K fans.

Wow, what a lot of pity going on here. Frankly, the entire country has been shut out of Men's National Team games for 40 months now. Getting regional about who deserves games and who's getting shafted and who deserves pity is silly. We've all been shafted for way too long.

Blair

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

The way things are looking, these could be the last games in WCQ that will be played in eastern Canada. So there is no reason to feel sorry for other parts of the country since it is soccer fans in eastern canada whom we should feel sorry for. And, as you can tell from the price of the tickets and location, the opponent and match hardly represents and premium draw or big showcase for international soccer.

When the real matches start in the semi final round. Eastern canada will be shut out.

Re: the FieldTurf. The World Cup regulations state that FIFA will only approve an application to play a match on FieldTurf if there is no appropriate natural turf alternative available. Canada has appropriate natural grass stadiums, including Richardson Stadium in Kingston, so there will be no World Cup matches in Frank Clair Stadium or Molson Stadium.

MikeD, that is certainly the present hard situation, and probably the correct ultimate result. I understand from a friend that Pipe was on this week's Soccercentral and sounded a little less sure about Ottawa and Montreal (saying, in essence, we will apply 60 days before and see what happens) than he did when he was on a couple of months ago (when he said that approval for the turf was a fait d'accompli). It may have been that he was counting on Blatter's assurance that the FIFA proposed changes to the 17 Laws that would have automatically allowed FIFA-approved artificial turf for any soccer match in the world, to be passed. Well, after that, on February 28, the IFAB rejected that proposal, and basically said artificial turf could be used only where competition Regulations provide for it. So, unless they change the WC2006 Regulations, we are at the status quo.

I still expect Pipe will apply to have two of the home semi matches in Ottawa and Montreal though, out of form if nothing else. He may argue that the other alternatives are not "available" for one reason or another on August 18 and October 19, but only some funny business would allow this argument to carry the day. Or, the Regulations might be changed by FIFA in the interim (there is an Ordinary Meeting of the FIFA Congress in Paris on May 20-21 where the change could be poked through), which would be very easy, as shown by the quick changes to the residency rules this week.

I for one would be very satisfied to have all three semis, and a number of the hexes, in Edmonton, but nothing is for certain yet, and I'd prefer to have half the matches in the East.

quote:Originally posted by Grasshopper

Wow, what a lot of pity going on here. Frankly, the entire country has been shut out of Men's National Team games for 40 months now. Getting regional about who deserves games and who's getting shafted and who deserves pity is silly. We've all been shafted for way too long.

Blair

We need a new political party in canada to fight eastern alienation in Canada or specifically with the CSA :D

You just can't produce the feel of importance or the hostile environment by playing important matches in facilities like King George V and Richardson's stadium. Field turf may not be the advantage that we think, but I still think that these facilities should be prefferred to the field and bleacher style location wherby you can't realistically expect more than 4K fans.

Hmmmm, I'd rather see 6,000 Canadians cheer on Canada against Costa Rica in St-John's than 8,000 Canadians and 10,000 Costa Ricans do the same in Montréal.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Hmmmm, I'd rather see 6,000 Canadians cheer on Canada against Costa Rica in St-John's than 8,000 Canadians and 10,000 Costa Ricans do the same in Montréal.

8000 Cnd's and 10000 Costa Rican? Hey that's not bad. The American suporters were probably out numbered by a greater margin when they played El Salvador in Foxboro last summer. You will always have Latin American suporters who travel up from the US if you play games in may urban centres in Canada. But how far do you want to go to keep them away? I'm sure there will visiting team supporters in the stadium when Portugal plays at Euro 2004. Granted, no where near what we see here.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

I understand from a friend that Pipe was on this week's Soccercentral and sounded a little less sure about Ottawa and Montreal (saying, in essence, we will apply 60 days before and see what happens) than he did when he was on a couple of months ago (when he said that approval for the turf was a fait d'accompli).

I saw SoccerCentral this week, and I felt that Pipe actually sounded *more* confident that matches could be played on FieldTurf. He essentially said that it was his understanding that as long as they gave FIFA 60 days notice that the match would be on FieldTurf, then it would be allowed.

Now, this does seem to contravene the written FIFA rules about FieldTurf only being allowed when there is no natural substance available, so I don't know how to interpret this.

8000 Cnd's and 10000 Costa Rican? Hey that's not bad.

Back in 1985 when Costa Rica played Canada in a World Cup Qualifyer (in the year we actually qualified) in Toronto, the crowd was overwhelmingly pro-Canadian. So much for the theory that Toronto is the bastion of all that is evil & anti-Canadian. [}:)]

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Back in 1985 when Costa Rica played Canada in a World Cup Qualifyer (in the year we actually qualified) in Toronto, the crowd was overwhelmingly pro-Canadian. So much for the theory that Toronto is the bastion of all that is evil & anti-Canadian. [}:)]

Well back in the 80's Toronto was merely a wannabe bastian of all that is evil & anti-Canadian. Kind of like where Calgary is now :)

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I rememeber a great Olympic Qualifying match that I went to in Victoria (an enjoyable time in a cozy small stadium[8D], that i think was called Centennial, the eastside goal was only a few yards from the street, separated by a chainlink fence framing gawking kids) during the Easter holidays in 1984 (I was lucky enough to be visiting family then, and just happened to hear about it in the local rag). There were two busloads of foreign supporters that actually flew in from Costa Rica, supplemented by a few immigres (those were the days when most of the hispanics in Canada were just from Chile). They should have been drowned out by the approximately 2,000 Canadians there, but most of the time they sounded like they were the only people there.

Altho' the 29,000 pro-Canada supporters were more vocal at the Women's friendly against Mexico in Edmonton last summer, at times even they were drowned out by about three dozen Mexican supporters (locals, as I recognized some of them) sitting halfway up the lower East section. And, in the semi-finals in the U-19 Women's in 2002, a vocal group of about three dozen Brazilian fans sitting in the North endzone seemed to almost enflame their team to near-victory and rattle the Canadian women to a near upset defeat.

That's the trouble[}:)]. It doesn't seem to matter how many Canada supporters are in the crowds (or where it is), it often seems like the crowd is hostile unless the Canadians get off their collective duffs.

It isn't just Canadian soccer fans that are a bit muted in their support. I even find that in watching hockey games or any other sport. No doubt any visitor from abroad would be puzzled by the lack of passion here. I see more passion at a WWE event than a Canadian sporting event.

The question today is more how are you going to get a pro-Canadian crowd anywhere. The Americans will likely be hosting games in the interior of the country.

Toronto has been a victim of wanting to be part of the world community.

Meant to post this this past weekend, the move from Belize's perspective:

Belize will play both World Cup games in Canada Ð FFB

BELIZE CITY, Thurs. Mar. 18, 2004

ÊÊ In a press release received today, but dated March 17, 2004, the Football Federation of Belize said it had Òreceived confirmation from FIFA and Canada for a request to host Belize in Canada for the second game, which was scheduled to be played in Belize on June 20, 2004.Ó

ÊÊ The release went on that Òsome months agoÓ the FFB Òhad proposed to play in the PeopleÕs Stadium Orange Walk and work needed to be done to bring it up to international standards however improvements has not been made (sic).

ÊÊ ÒDue to the situation the FFB has no choice but to request assistance from Canada to host both matches. Unless actions are taken to improve facility to international standards, Belize will be unable to stage high Calibre international games (sic).

ÊÊ ÒBelize National Team will see action on 13/6/04 and 16/6/04 in Kingston Ontario at Richardson Stadium.Ó

ÊÊ There was no official comment from the National Sports Council of Belize at press time tonight. A member of the Council, however, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said that the Council was not aware of any official request from the FFB in regards to the condition of the PeopleÕs Stadium.

ÊÊ ÒThe FFB had threatened (following their de-registration by the NSC) to play our ÔhomeÕ game outside of Belize anyway, even in Guatemala,Ó said the Council member, Òso this comes as no surprise.Ó

ÊÊ The council member said that the timing of the release, on the day the FFB had been scheduled to return to the Belize Supreme Court for a hearing on its application for judicial review of the National Sports CouncilÕs decision to Òde-registerÓ the FFB, was not coincidental. The court hearing was voided by the NSCÕs decision to rescind the Òde-registrationÓ and give the FFB more time to respond to a Ministerial directive. So far the FFB has made no response.

ÊÊ Former national team manager and BPFL Assistant Commissioner, Reynaldo Malic, said the FFBÕs decision was Ò É another blow to the Belizean football pride.Ó

ÊÊ ÒIt tells me,Ó said Malic, Òthat the FFB is not looking forward to any settlement (with the BPFL and the NSC) in the near future.Ó

ÊÊ He said that forcing our team to play on a bigger field and in front of a large, hostile crowd Òcould turn out to be a real disaster.Ó

ÊÊ Despite the continuing schism between the BPFL and the FFB, Malic said that they have been encouraging their players to attend the national team weekly workouts. Reports are that some BPFL players have attended the workouts but have questions regarding payment and insurance.Ê

ÊÊ The last time a BelizeÕs menÕs senior football team played on Belizean soil was on Sunday, April 16th, 2000, at the PeopleÕs Stadium, when we lost 3-1 to Salvador in the 2000 World Cup qualifying tournament.

ÊÊ In that series Belize lost 5-0 to Salvador in San Salvador, and lost 2-1 and drew 0-0 with Guatemala in San Pedro Sula, Honduras. The games with Guatemala had been moved to Honduras due to border tension between the two countries.

ÊÊ The Belize national team last played in May 2001 in the NationÕs Cup tournament, a qualifying tournament for the Gold Cup. After losing to Costa Rica, 4-0, on Wednesday, May 23rd, in La Ceiba, Honduras, Belize rallied from a 2-0 deficit against Guatemala in San Pedro Sula, Honduras, and led, 3-2, with less than five minutes to go in the game, but were thwarted from achieving our first victory in international competition by a controversial penalty.

Gordon: thanks for the laugh. It couldn't have come at a better time.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by canadiankick97

We're hostile? Since when?

I wish I could go to this game also but I have a math exam the next morning at 8:30.

psh ... that's no excuse. i was 2 minutes from missing my evening flight home from florida when canada played there last. i had an english exam the next morning in Toronto.

now THAT was some fast driving to the airport. kinda glad i was driving a rented 'Stang : ) I swear i averaged 80-85 MPH the entire way.

Archived