Canucks Abroad May 17th

Gian-Luca

Stalteri has started in the midfield today for Werder Bremen. Also the picture of Stalteri giving De Vos the finger to Jason De Vos from 3 years ago was re-printed in full colour today in the Toronto Star Arts & Entertainment section, along with a series of other photos of famous people giving people the finger from the last 20 years (going back to Trudeau). Unfortunately our own media can't get our own players names right, referring to Paul as "Scalteri".

And De Guzman didn't start for Hannover as they lead 1-0 in the 44th minute.

"All them rock & roll writers are the worst kind of sleaze, selling punk like some new kind of English disease. Is that the wave of the future? Awww spare me please!" Frank Zappa, Joe's Garage (1979).

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Stalteri has started in the midfield today for Werder Bremen. Also the picture of Stalteri giving De Vos the finger to Jason De Vos from 3 years ago was re-printed in full colour today in the Toronto Star Arts & Entertainment section, along with a series of other photos of famous people giving people the finger from the last 20 years (going back to Trudeau). Unfortunately our own media can't get our own players names right, referring to Paul as "Scalteri".

And De Guzman didn't start for Hannover as they lead 1-0 in the 44th minute.

"All them rock & roll writers are the worst kind of sleaze, selling punk like some new kind of English disease. Is that the wave of the future? Awww spare me please!" Frank Zappa, Joe's Garage (1979).

Sorry, a mistake made with the last reply - still getting used to the new system I guess.

In any event, Stalteri played the full 90 minutes as Bremen won 2-1, pushing them into a UEFA spot, one point up on Hertha Berlin. I believe there is one more game left in the season.

Hannover drew 2-2, which puts them 4 points up from the relegation zone & if I am right in that there is one match remaining that should mean that they are safe. De Guzman didn't play at all, hopefully he'll get the start next week if its a "nothing" game for Hannover (as teams normally play their youth & up & coming players in such situations).

Guest Jeffery S.

Aguiar and Imhof in action

Fernando Aguiar is playing for Leiria, down 0-2 to Belenenses who got off to a quick start, now 2nd half.

St. Gallen just got a goal and are about to beat Vaduz 1-0, Imhof started and playing. A win will almost ensure they are back in the championship round for next year in Switzerland.

Guest Jeffery S.

Finals Leiria 1-Belenenses 4, the visitors countered all game and Aguiar's team fell.

Imhof's Gallen won 1-0

Klukowski starts for La Louvière, now down 1-0 early 2nd half to Anderlecht. As Lommel has definitively been taken off the table as the team folded, Les Loups are now third from last, and I suppose threatened with relegation, not sure if only two will go down and three up to compensate the lost team. In any case they need points today and next week to make sure they don't slip.

Guest Jeffery S.

Scotland action

Xausa did not get off the bench and Fenwick played 90 as Hibs kept up their run of wins beating Livingston 1-2. Livi is still not clear of relegation danger while Hibs are well clear.

Tomorrow Hearts take on Rangers.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Livi is still not clear of relegation danger while Hibs are well clear.

No, that's not right. Motherwell has certainly finished in the only relegation spot and everyone else is safe. Motherwell may be safe as well, depending on what is decided about Falkirk (see Andrew W's post in the General Discussion section).

I've moved the following comment to the General Discussion section. Please post any replies there:

Tomorrow Hearts take on Rangers.

Using goal difference to break ties in the table is silly, especially for the championship, especially in Scotland. The other day I saw highlights of Celtic vs. Dundee and everyone was going nuts as Celtic put in a fourth, fifth and sixth goal, then when Dundee scored their second to make it 6-2 it was as if Celtic had just gone down a goal. It's not right to have the two big clubs trying to thrash the small clubs at the end of the season just to have a better goal difference. If Celtic and Rangers finish tied on points they should have a playoff, as is done in Italy.

Guest Jeffery S.

Thanks DJT, and another correction.

La Louvière lost 1-0 today and I said they could be threatened with relegation. Wrong. One team is dead last and relegated, and Lommel disappeared. So that is it, Les Loups are not in danger. Belgian 2nd tier promotes the winner, Cercle de Bruges, and one more from a promotion playoff between a group of the next teams in that league.

What did happen in the end I think is that all results involving Lommel have been annulled in Belgium and Louvière lost all six they won from them in the league, so actually dropped a few spots. But are not in danger of relegation fortunately.

Guest Jeffery S.

Onstad plays 90 as Quakes win

San Diego Earthquakes held out for a 4-3 win over the Columbus Crew Saturday night at home with Pat Onstad playing the whole thing in goal. Onstad had his shutout streak ended with a penalty put in by McBride, Crew tied it at 2, but in the end San José scored more.

There were just over 7,000 announced fans in San José, once again back to the small crowds that make you wonder how this franchise survives.

Quakes don't play again until the weekend of our Germany match, home vs. Fire, unfortunate as I think they are not too confident about their sub keeper.

Onstad plays 90 as Quakes win

San Diego Earthquakes held out for a 4-3 win over the Columbus Crew Saturday night at home with Pat Onstad playing the whole thing in goal. Onstad had his shutout streak ended with a penalty put in by McBride, Crew tied it at 2, but in the end San José scored more.

There were just over 7,000 announced fans in San José, once again back to the small crowds that make you wonder how this franchise survives.

Even worse, San Jose is undefeated & in first place & has the biggest American star in the league on their team and they get attendance like that.

Archived