Nash and Pizzolitto called up for Germany game

Alberto7

quote:Originally posted by François

Great to see Pizzolitto getting a call. I would have also seen Gabriel Gervais getting a shot. He has been very solid for the Impact.

François

www.impactsoccer.com

I am surprised about Sutton not being called. I guess either Hirshfeld has recoverd in time or he's going to go with Stamatopolous or one of the young Euro-based keepers as the back-up

"All them rock & roll writers are the worst kind of sleaze, selling punk like some new kind of English disease. Is that the wave of the future? Awww spare me please!" Frank Zappa, Joe's Garage (1979).

Just wondering as well if the Impact may have said "No" to Sutton being released for this match (as Neil Davidson had reported that Sutton was likely to be selected). Perhaps they said "ok" to Nash & Pizzolitto missing two Impact games because they might actually play against Germany, but whoever is taken as Onstad's back-up is unlikely to & they'd rather not lose their starting keeper for two matches so that he can sit on a bench in Wolfsburg.

In which case, are we better off picking a young Euro keeper as the back up simply to introduce him into the national team program (ie. Rayner, Fernandes, Djenkanovic etc)?

"All them rock & roll writers are the worst kind of sleaze, selling punk like some new kind of English disease. Is that the wave of the future? Awww spare me please!" Frank Zappa, Joe's Garage (1979).

Hey a little help here, lads. Am completely unfamiliar with this Pizzolitto fellow. Played some WCQs in '99? Can't say as I remember that at all and with a name like Pizzolitto would be hard not to get noticed.

Where dose he normaly play? Where can he play? Mobility, vision, judgement speed, passing, tackling, preferred partnerships and tactical styles, endurance, colour of car, size of family dog, dose he really like those little tatoos the girls are wearing on the smalls of their backs? Cumon, help a fellow out here. Gotta give my Germany lineup a think (stay tuned) and it's hard enough with all these rarely seen faces as it is and now Holger goes and pulls this.

P.S. Congrats to the Impact on having 2 players selected (and perhaps more to come).

Minority of one

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Hey a little help here, lads. Am completely unfamiliar with this Pizzolitto fellow. Played some WCQs in '99? Can't say as I remember that at all and with a name like Pizzolitto would be hard not to get noticed.

Where dose he normaly play? Where can he play? Mobility, vision, judgement speed, passing, tackling, preferred partnerships and tactical styles, endurance, colour of car, size of family dog, dose he really like those little tatoos the girls are wearing on the smalls of their backs? Cumon, help a fellow out here. Gotta give my Germany lineup a think (stay tuned) and it's hard enough with all these rarely seen faces as it is and now Holger goes and pulls this.

P.S. Congrats to the Impact on having 2 players selected (and perhaps more to come).

Minority of one

Pizzolitto's a big central defender. The only time I've ever seen him play, at any level, was during the Gold Cup qualifying tournament in '99. The impression I got of him at that time was that seemed solid enough. Not prodigiously fast or talented on the ball, but he didn't make any big mistakes, cleared one or two difficult looking balls with his head and seemed to have good positioning and poise in doing so. Plus, he was only 23 at that time. I'm looking forward to seeing how his game has progressed with four more years of experience under his belt now. Central defenders usually don't fully mature until about the age Pizzolitto is at now, so he could be ready to step back into the national side for good. (On the other hand, he may not have progressed enough by merely playing in the A-League for the past four years - we'll see.)

Mike D

Pizzolito is a defender, but that's about all I can tell you. The only reason why I really wanted to post is to let you know about his brilliant game in a friendly in Toronto against Jamaica in 1999. I think that may have been his first A cap. He had a great game but near the end he took a knock on the head. They tried to bandage it, but there was a lot of blood coming out of the gash. He seemed a bit woozy, but still wanted to go back in. They wisely substituted him.

After that match, I thought he'd be a fixture for the senior side. I guess he's a prime example of a winter MISL guy who gets ignored by Holger for a good chunk of the year.

Jason

So Nevio didn't shoot Holger's dog?! Hmmm. . . . any other explanations? He was good enough at 23 to take Watson's job for awhile and then never heard from again? Well I was calling for him to be back in the fold four years ago, no reason not to welcome him back now. I'm sure Gervais will be given a shot in 2006 when everyone is screaming to see Hainault.

He's big, physical, seemed to play smart and simply. Nothing flashy, but like Jason said, I thought he was great against Jamaica. He was quick enough to deal with their attack, which was nice to see. He was also steady in the GCQ, esp against El Salvador when we really needed a result.

He's one of the four original Holger's Heroes. I hope he earns the title again in Germany.

cheers,

matthew

The secret of life is to find moments of levity and grace in what is, ultimately, a tragedy. Watching Canadian soccer is good practice for this.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I read somewhere that Holger didn't like the fact that Pizzolito refuse to go playing in Europe and that's why he has never been called since 1999.

That would make sense since it's well known that Holger doesn't think highly of the A-League in terms of player development. Back in '99, he would probably have been looking at Pizzolitto as a prospect and figured that he wouldn't reach his potential unless he went to hone his skills in Europe.

That's probably why Holger kept playing a young Stalteri back in those days. Despite his many bad performances (which had many Voyageurs including me calling for him to be benched), Holger must have figured that Stalteri was going to develop into a star because he was with Werder Bremen (Holger was right on that one). Meanwhile, Holger dropped guys like Pizzolitto and Jeff Clarke, who were close in age to Stalteri but were only playing in the A-League. I guess this is Pizzolitto's chance to prove Holger wrong.

Mike D

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I read somewhere that Holger didn't like the fact that Pizzolito refuse to go playing in Europe and that's why he has never been called since 1999.

If that's the case, then Gervais might be a lost cause... He signed a 3-year contract with the club and works as an engineer (I think) for Saputo in the winter. I don't know how far he wants to advance his career, but I hope he gets a nice offer from Europe and takes it.

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

Archived