Match Thread: October 14, 2023 - Playoffs - First Semifinal (1v2) - Cavalry v Forge

narduch

12 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

How about the Canadian Stanley Cup drought? What has been the terrible, devastating cost for the sport in Canada not having a winner since I watched Keon and Horton win it when I was a kid?

You're joking of course and I'm sure you're aware of the many differences but I'll outline them for anyone reading along:

1. Even in 2023, hockey remains near-religion in any parts of the country. Domestic soccer is a niche sport.
  2. All of the Canadian teams (arguably bar the Jets, who folded up shop and moved once already) have experienced meaningful competitive success. Heck, all but the Jets and Leafs have been in a Stanley Cup final this century. 
  3. These teams can make appeals to past success and tradition in retaining old and winning new fans. CPL is a new league that almost immediately faced the global headwinds of a massive global pandemic. If you were inviting a friend to a Valour or York game, and they countered with "Who?" or "Why?" there is almost no good answer.
  4. As much as people in Spain and Germany will love to hate Real or Barcelona or Bayern, having a domestic champion winning trophies in Europe is demonstrably good for Spanish and German football. With all due respect to the fledgling CONCACAF competitions, that is not the case here, nor is a CPL team even making a semi-final particular likely in the next decade.

Anyway, I hate Forge and Smyrniotis' attention-seeking beard. I do think that team has some advantages that other teams don't (mainly down to geography -- I'll leave aside conspiracy theories about Hamilton's influence at the league office) but that exists almost everywhere in the world. They've earned their success but nobody has to like it.

Go Cavs, for the next two weeks, and for next season once Valour drops out of the playoff race in June.

Edited by jonovision

22 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Anyway, I hate Forge and Smyrniotis' attention-seeking beard. 

🤣🤣🤣

Maybe his wife and kids like it?

Maybe he plays Santa Claus at Christmas to supplement his CPL wages?

Either way, your comment got my Sunday morning off to a good start. 👍

32 minutes ago, jonovision said:

You're joking of course and I'm sure you're aware of the many differences but I'll outline them for anyone reading along:

1. Even in 2023, hockey remains near-religion in any parts of the country. Domestic soccer is a niche sport.
  2. All of the Canadian teams (arguably bar the Jets, who folded up shop and moved once already) have experienced meaningful competitive success. Heck, all but the Jets and Leafs have been in a Stanley Cup final this century. 
  3. These teams can make appeals to past success and tradition in retaining old and winning new fans. CPL is a new league that almost immediately faced the global headwinds of a massive global pandemic. If you were inviting a friend to a Valour or York game, and they countered with "Who?" or "Why?" there is almost no good answer.
  4. As much as people in Spain and Germany will love to hate Real or Barcelona or Bayern, having a domestic champion winning trophies in Europe is demonstrably good for Spanish and German football. With all due respect to the fledgling CONCACAF competitions, that is not the case here, nor is a CPL team even making a semi-final particular likely in the next decade.

Anyway, I hate Forge and Smyrniotis' attention-seeking beard. I do think that team has some advantages that other teams don't (mainly down to geography -- I'll leave aside conspiracy theories about Hamilton's influence at the league office) but that exists almost everywhere in the world. They've earned their success but nobody has to like it.

Go Cavs, for the next two weeks, and for next season once Valour drops out of the playoff race in June.

I agree on that Stanley Cup thing. Add in no legitimate international hockey almost going back to the 2010 Olympics it feel like. I think hockey has missed a whole generation of people especially new Canadians. Still very popular obviously but for how long with no Champions in this country?