CPL 2023 Season Attendance

Thanks for compiling the data Kent!  Overall positive news, even when excluding Vancouver/Edmonton, it shows a solid increased from last year.  Hopefully with new upcoming ownership in York, they can turn things around there.  I'm not sure what the magic formula is for having success in GTA - perhaps rebrand as Vaughan/Mississauga or Brampton and focus promotion in those areas specifically rather than the full GTA?..  The new owners will hopefully have some good ideas.  

• 4 weeks later...

This isn't strictly about 2023, but I don't think there is a general attendance thread. I was curious so I looked up the attendance figures in CPL stadiums for all inter-league competitive games so far. If you have info on any of the games with question marks please let me know and send me a link with the info.

Year CPL Team Opponent Opponent League Competition Attendance
2019 HFX Vaughan L1O VC 5532
2019 York Blainville PLSQ VC 1723
2019 HFX Fury USL VC 6213
2019 York Impact MLS VC 5252
2019 Cavalry Whitecaps MLS VC 5129
2019 Cavalry Impact MLS VC 5633
2019 Forge Antigua Guatemala CL 4644
2019 Forge Olimpia Honduras CL 4876?
2021 HFX Blainville PLSQ VC 3780
2021 York Master's L1O VC 1102
2021 Pacific Whitecaps MLS VC 4997
2021 HFX CF Montreal MLS VC 6413
2021 Forge CF Montreal MLS VC 5388
2021 Forge Independiente Panama CL ???
2021 Forge Santos de Guapiles Costa Rica CL ???
2021 Forge Motagua Honduras CL ???
2022 Forge Cruz Azul Mexico CCL 4600
2022 Forge Mont-Royal Outremont PLSQ VC 2213
2022 HFX TFC MLS VC 6507
2022 Cavalry Whitecaps MLS VC 3197
2022 Forge TFC MLS VC (2020) 13715
2022 Pacific Waterhouse Jamaica CL 4487
2022 Pacific Herediano Costa Rica CL 4687
2023 Forge Laval PLSQ VC 2117
2023 Pacific TSS Rovers L1BC VC 2593
2023 York Whitecaps MLS VC 1827
2023 Pacific Whitecaps MLS VC 5221

The main issue with the current format of Champions Cup is that it runs from February-June, meaning that CPL teams are realistically only going to be playing home matches in February or March. We've been given a great benefit with two slots in the tournament but the trade-off is that it's likely the worst time of year to host matches. There's a huge difference between Forge hosting Cruz Azul in February versus hosting Cruz Azul in July, both from a sporting perspective as well as a crowd perspective.

It's too bad because these matches, as has been pointed out above, could be very big draws, especially for CPL sides. I think most of us remember the matches Montreal hosted in their 2015 run, played primarily in March and April but benefitted by Olympique's roof. Say what you will about Concacaf League but the schedule for that tournament was perfect for CPL sides (July-November).

Edited by Mihairokov

2 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

The main issue with the current format of Champions Cup is that it runs from February-June, meaning that CPL teams are realistically only going to be playing home matches in February or March. We've been given a great benefit with two slots in the tournament but the trade-off is that it's likely the worst time of year to host matches. There's a huge difference between Forge hosting Cruz Azul in February versus hosting Cruz Azul in July, both from a sporting perspective as well as a crowd perspective.

It's too bad because these matches, as has been pointed out above, could be very big draws, especially for CPL sides. I think most of us remember the matches Montreal hosted in their 2015 run, played primarily in March and April but benefitted by Olympique's roof. Say what you will about Concacaf League but the schedule for that tournament was perfect for CPL sides (July-November).

I wish they would go back to the previous format. Group Stage in the late summer/fall and then knock outs in the spring

Edited by narduch

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

Actually, I think almost everything about the CONCACAF League was perfect for the CPL sides.

Except for the travel, right? 🙂

I think it would be a more compelling competition if USL Championship sides could take part but IIRC there's some weird hazy thing b/w MLS/USL and Concacaf eligibility.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I wish they would go back to the previous format. Group Stage in the late summer/fall and then knock outs in the spring

Wouldn't be against this, it just gets a bit convoluted when teams are playing in a tournament they qualified for 1.5 years before it's completed, or whatever the math would be. I think the single year format currently is cleaner but makes for tough scheduling.

Edited by Mihairokov

23 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

Except for the travel, right? 🙂

I think it would be a more compelling competition if USL Championship sides could take part but IIRC there's some weird hazy thing b/w MLS/USL and Concacaf eligibility.

Wouldn't be against this, it just gets a bit convoluted when teams are playing in a tournament they qualified for 1.5 years before it's completed, or whatever the math would be. I think the single year format currently is cleaner but makes for tough scheduling.

Even now the Mexican teams are decided over 1 year before the tournament.

If we can't have the old format I would also be in favour of keeping the current format but spreading it out from April to November. 

6 hours ago, narduch said:

Ideally the 4 team groups! Let the fans get some mileage out of qualifying. Half the teams getting eliminated after one home and one away match is pretty anti-climactic, or even the 3 team groups they had is quite short.